Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Dominion Heroes  (Read 3172 times)

DrHades

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +79
    • View Profile
Dominion Heroes
« on: February 10, 2012, 12:55:19 pm »

Additional rule: After the kingdom cards are chosen, each player (starting with the 1st player, or in secret) chooses one of the heroes. He can use abilities of his hero for the whole game. Two players can have the same hero.

That is the basic idea. There will be some hero cards from which you choose the one you find most usefull for that kingdom. Now here are some of my ideas for heroes:

Priest - Once in a turn, you may play any action card as "Trash 2 cards from your hand."
The name is reference to Chapel and Bishop.

Mayor - Once in a turn, you may discard a card. If you do, +1 action.
The name is reference to Villages.

Merchant - Once in a turn, you may discard a card. If you do, +1 buy.
The name is reference to Market.

Count - If you didn't play any card this turn, you may gain a Curse. If you did, gain a Duchy. If you didn't, you may gain 2 Estates. (so basicly you can gain Curse+Duchy, Estate+Estate, Estate (if it is last) or nothing, but you cannot gain Duchy)
The name is reference to Baron and Duke.

Judge - You can play any action card as "+1 action, +1 card"
The name is Judge, because you make a decision whether you want this card or not.

Feel free to comment the names, the general idea and the cards themselfs. Also feel free to playtest, make your own "heroes".

PS: I was thinking about "Sorcerer" that would be giving other players Curses, but I cannot think of any cool and simple idea. Thoughts? "Pirate" that steals treasures sounds cool too...

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
Re: Dominion Heroes
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2012, 02:15:45 pm »

I love the concept. I would make Priest "up to 2 cards," otherwise it might be a little underpowered.

I don't understand Count... is it not limited to 1 use per turn like the others? And why "if you didn't play any cards this turn?" Can't you just use it before you play all your cards?

It would be very difficult to make any curse-giver without making it by far the most powerful one.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6121
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2012, 02:25:38 pm »

I was actually just discussing this with Captain_Frisk.  One conceivable Dominion variant would be a game where you first go for each of these characters, which are balanced in general but not with respect to any particular board, and the second half being normal Dominion.  So Mayor rocks in games without +Action, and Priest in games without trashing.  So then it's a question of whether you want to play a powerful character with a bad deck, or a powerful starting deck with a bad character.  Dominion might not be fine-grained enough to support this (e.g., the only real way to mess up your deck is just to replace Estates with Curses, or add more Estates, or whatever), but another game definitely could.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2012, 03:04:10 pm »

You could also allow players to just pick a character each round (rotate some sort of 1st player marker) like Carson City and have them put back the characters into the general pool.

This keeps the main idea of Dominion in place: equal opportunities for both players, no CCG "my deck is more expensive and better than yours" inequalities. Sure, there's the first player advantage, but it's impossible to make it perfectly equal.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2012, 03:53:06 pm »

I was actually just discussing this with Captain_Frisk.  One conceivable Dominion variant would be a game where you first go for each of these characters, which are balanced in general but not with respect to any particular board, and the second half being normal Dominion.  So Mayor rocks in games without +Action, and Priest in games without trashing.  So then it's a question of whether you want to play a powerful character with a bad deck, or a powerful starting deck with a bad character.  Dominion might not be fine-grained enough to support this (e.g., the only real way to mess up your deck is just to replace Estates with Curses, or add more Estates, or whatever), but another game definitely could.

Like Puzzle Strike?

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6121
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2012, 04:04:46 pm »

No, because in Puzzle Strike there's no mechanism for how to choose characters.  What I'm proposing is a game where character selection itself is the first half of the game, and how much you spend there affects the second half of the game.

Also, I hate Puzzle Strike (and David Sirlin).

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3668
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2012, 04:09:30 pm »

It sounds to me like you a proposing a game which is pretty much the child of peurto rico (or maybe citadels) and dominion. This is an idea I can get behind.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2012, 04:52:16 pm »

It sounds to me like you a proposing a game which is pretty much the child of peurto rico (or maybe citadels) and dominion. This is an idea I can get behind.
And since Puerto Rico and Dominion are from the same publisher, so can RGG!  :P

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 20 queries.