Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Question about Rules-Changing Event-Like Cards  (Read 2650 times)

Schneau

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Schneau
  • Respect: +1461
    • View Profile
    • Rainwave
Question about Rules-Changing Event-Like Cards
« on: March 17, 2017, 09:00:34 pm »
+3

I've been out of the fan cards scene for a long time, so I'm guessing something like this has been mentioned before. My idea is to have non-cards like Events/Landmarks that, when used, change the rules of the game. But, unlike Events, they aren't things you can buy, and unlike Landmarks, they don't just affect scoring. Can anyone point me to where this type of thing has come up in the past, assuming it has?

Here are some ideas I had for such cards. They would all change how the game was played, some more so than others, in a way that might feel a lot like "house rules" or a total game variant. You certainly wouldn't want to play with them all the time, but I could imagine some of these making for some interesting Dominion.

During Cleanup, draw 6 cards instead of 5.

Add an extra Kingdom card pile on top of this card. When you buy a card from this pile, +1 Buy.

Play with your cards visible to your opponents.

Copper, Silver, and Gold give +$1 more when played.

After looking at the kingdom, you may choose the number of Coppers in your starting deck, anywhere from 0 to 10.

(2-player only) When you buy Victory cards, they go into your opponent's discard pile. At the end of the game, whoever has the fewest victory points wins.

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile
Re: Question about Rules-Changing Event-Like Cards
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2017, 09:40:08 pm »
+3

I've been out of the fan cards scene for a long time, so I'm guessing something like this has been mentioned before. My idea is to have non-cards like Events/Landmarks that, when used, change the rules of the game. But, unlike Events, they aren't things you can buy, and unlike Landmarks, they don't just affect scoring. Can anyone point me to where this type of thing has come up in the past, assuming it has?
Asper's "Edicts". They're near the bottom of the OP in blue.

AFAIC, most of these that I've seen I don't think are that interesting, but your 2-player-only one looks like it might be fun to try.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2017, 09:42:35 pm by LibraryAdventurer »

Doom_Shark

• Tactician
  • Shuffle iT Username: Doom_Shark
  • Respect: +409
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2017, 10:43:10 pm »
+1

Also, more recently, landforms. Don't remember who did them, and I'm too lazy to provide a convenient link
"I swear to drunk I'm not officer, God."
Generation 33 The first time you see this, copy it, add 1 to the generation number, and add it to your signature. (On any forum) Social experiment.

LostPhoenix

• Apprentice
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lost Phoenix
  • Your resident lurker
  • Respect: +325
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2017, 10:56:29 pm »
+2

Schneau

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Schneau
  • Respect: +1461
    • View Profile
    • Rainwave
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2017, 10:56:37 pm »

Asper's "Edicts". They're near the bottom of the OP in blue.

I had seen a few of these Edicts, but thought they all had to do with "reacting" to some in-game event. Now that I look further, I see that many of them are more along the lines of mine here. Maybe it would be better to separate these two ideas into different types of things? Maybe not?

Either way, thanks for the pointer!

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ThetaSigma12
  • Respect: +1809
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2017, 07:37:43 am »

ThetaSigma12's Landforms are here: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16788.0
EVen these now use Asper's Edict type, I merely introduced a sub-type.
My magnum opus collection of dominion fan cards is available here!

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5345
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2017, 08:28:49 am »
+2

I like the "visible hands" idea. The 2P thing also seems an interesting area to experiment with, but as written, I fear the best strategy will often be to just buy Estates/Duchies right away. It just cripples your opponent incredibly much, and here the worse dead-card/VP ratio might be overshadowed by the better cost/dead-card ration. With Estate, I pay 2$ per Pseudo-Curse I deal out. That's a bargain.

Edited for mobile-induced misspellings.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2017, 09:12:08 am by Asper »

Erick648

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +628
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2017, 01:21:35 pm »
+1

I had a version of these called Realms:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=15069.msg584538#msg584538

Since that post I've made a few more (such as one which has you use 2 fewer Kingdom cards and 2 more Events and 2 more Landmarks, and one which lets you pay up to half of the cost of non-Victory cards in Debt).  I've been playing with these every game for the past year or so, and enjoyed them (note that I have several copies of "no effect" Realms, so not every game has a special rule).

I like the ones you made; most of them look like components I'd want to play with. 

I am concerned that the one that enhances base treasures could lead to monolithic Big Money Ultimate games on most boards, where the best strategy is to spend every turn buying Province when you can afford it and Base Treasures otherwise, and ignore everything else (except maybe Duchy in the endgame if you get an unlucky hand or are Duchy-dancing).  Starting with a money density of $1.4/card, with a $3 treasure available for $3 and a $4 treasure available for $6, gives you little incentive to purchase anything else (maybe some +Buy or sifting/smoothing, but there might not be time for that).  Just open Province/Gold or Gold/Gold (and curse your luck if you get a 5/2 split and have to open Gold/Silver), then rush the Provinces.  Maybe you could tone it down a bit to something like "The first Copper you play each turn produces an extra $1" (which affects strategy more than buffing Gold and Silver, which you already want most games, and still has a significant impact on the game without redirecting it entirely).

Also, your 2-player one should also give your opponents your Victory tokens (probably not Curses, though, since having them in your deck is arguably worse than the -1VP), although I share Asper's concerns that an Estate/Duchy rush might be too dominant with that.
Duplicate duplicates Duplicates duplicate Duplicates duplicate.

Rene Descartes taught me to believe in myself.

How much Loot could a Looter loot if a Looter could loot Loot?
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 21 queries.