Dominion > Variants and Fan Cards

Question about Rules-Changing Event-Like Cards

(1/2) > >>

Schneau:
I've been out of the fan cards scene for a long time, so I'm guessing something like this has been mentioned before. My idea is to have non-cards like Events/Landmarks that, when used, change the rules of the game. But, unlike Events, they aren't things you can buy, and unlike Landmarks, they don't just affect scoring. Can anyone point me to where this type of thing has come up in the past, assuming it has?

Here are some ideas I had for such cards. They would all change how the game was played, some more so than others, in a way that might feel a lot like "house rules" or a total game variant. You certainly wouldn't want to play with them all the time, but I could imagine some of these making for some interesting Dominion.

During Cleanup, draw 6 cards instead of 5.

Add an extra Kingdom card pile on top of this card. When you buy a card from this pile, +1 Buy.

Play with your cards visible to your opponents.

Copper, Silver, and Gold give +$1 more when played.

After looking at the kingdom, you may choose the number of Coppers in your starting deck, anywhere from 0 to 10.

(2-player only) When you buy Victory cards, they go into your opponent's discard pile. At the end of the game, whoever has the fewest victory points wins.

LibraryAdventurer:

--- Quote from: Schneau on March 17, 2017, 09:00:34 pm ---I've been out of the fan cards scene for a long time, so I'm guessing something like this has been mentioned before. My idea is to have non-cards like Events/Landmarks that, when used, change the rules of the game. But, unlike Events, they aren't things you can buy, and unlike Landmarks, they don't just affect scoring. Can anyone point me to where this type of thing has come up in the past, assuming it has?
--- End quote ---
Asper's "Edicts". They're near the bottom of the OP in blue.

AFAIC, most of these that I've seen I don't think are that interesting, but your 2-player-only one looks like it might be fun to try.

Doom_Shark:
Also, more recently, landforms. Don't remember who did them, and I'm too lazy to provide a convenient link

LostPhoenix:
ThetaSigma12's Landforms are here: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16788.0

Schneau:

--- Quote from: LibraryAdventurer on March 17, 2017, 09:40:08 pm ---
--- Quote from: Schneau on March 17, 2017, 09:00:34 pm ---I've been out of the fan cards scene for a long time, so I'm guessing something like this has been mentioned before. My idea is to have non-cards like Events/Landmarks that, when used, change the rules of the game. But, unlike Events, they aren't things you can buy, and unlike Landmarks, they don't just affect scoring. Can anyone point me to where this type of thing has come up in the past, assuming it has?
--- End quote ---
Asper's "Edicts". They're near the bottom of the OP in blue.

--- End quote ---

I had seen a few of these Edicts, but thought they all had to do with "reacting" to some in-game event. Now that I look further, I see that many of them are more along the lines of mine here. Maybe it would be better to separate these two ideas into different types of things? Maybe not?

Either way, thanks for the pointer!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version