Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]  All

Author Topic: Temporum: Alternate Realities speculation  (Read 24175 times)

Accatitippi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Accatitippi
  • Silver is underraided
  • Respect: +1795
    • View Profile
Re: Temporum: Alternate Realities speculation
« Reply #100 on: June 12, 2017, 05:35:19 pm »
+1

Yeah, I played with the zombies in a 2p game, and we were never able to shake them. There were several points where it discouraged changing time because it would free your opponent from the zombie. The zombies sadly just felt a bit boring instead of fun. This may just be a unfortunate side effect of starting in that zone, that wouldn't be an issue if we had to make the decision to voluntarily take them on to obtain a Gizmo. In any case, I think I will attempt a house rule next time I play with them to only have [# of players - 1] zombies out because that guarantees some fun passing zombies around action.

We purposefully chose to include zombies, but also purposefully chose to not start it in the second / starting spot. I'd never want to play a game where zombies start there.

Luciferous' implementation seems to love making me start there. It's not half bad - you usually end up changing time and then move to the same zone as your opponent. You help them shake off their zombie just to have them relieve you of yours. Of course you have to pick the right moment to do the move.

Also, the ability of getting a Gizmo on turn 1 sort of makes up for the lower relevance of P2's economy boost.

All in all, my 3 (or more?) bot games starting in Zombie Apocalypse have been a success.

Also, I think it's a bit like Torturer (and Cold War). Curses are bad, but you always have to consider how bad the alternatives are. Often, after thinking it through, the right move is just to suck it up and take the zombie, or relieve your opponent of their own z.

LuciferousPeridot

• Bishop
  • Respect: +201
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: June 26, 2017, 04:03:04 am »

Has anyone managed to get this in Europe? Amazon UK had it with RGG plus shipping from US, so I held off, but even that has gone now.

BlackHole

• Coppersmith
  • Respect: +57
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: June 27, 2017, 06:53:14 am »

Has anyone managed to get this in Europe? Amazon UK had it with RGG plus shipping from US, so I held off, but even that has gone now.
I got it in Germany :)
It preordered it at MiniatureMarket, and it came the end of may I think. ;)

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: July 18, 2017, 02:13:21 pm »

Just played a game with a pretty crazy combo that I never saw in testing...

Alien Egypt and Gang of Pickpockets. Now, Gang of Pickpockets is already a very strong card if you draw it early. I have it ranked #1 in the original set; haven't tried ranking cards from the expansion. But anyway, at least you still need to get other cards to score.

In my last game, 1 player went to Time III to play Gang of Pickpockets. Then, he went to Time III every single turn for the rest of the game, until the last turn when he went to Alien Egypt to declare victory. Never any reason to go anywhere else.

Now, his strategy was helped by 2 other factors:

1) The 2 different zones in Time III that were real at different times both gave extra money (+ for each card you drew this turn, and + for each other player here). We were playing the "They have arrived" suggested setup... that board definitely seems geared to make Alien Egypt stronger than normal due to the extra money generated by Time III.

2) He didn't draw cards that gave low money with some other effect, like Secret Society or Beggar.

So perhaps it was just good luck as a whole. But it was definitely primarily driven by just having Gang of Pickpockets in his opening hand on an Alien Egypt board.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: July 18, 2017, 02:29:40 pm »

Alien Egypt and Gang of Pickpockets be gangbusted

See, I get around this by keeping the Base and AR decks separate, mainly because I end up showing Temporum (and Dominion) to new people more than I end up playing it over and over with the same group of people, so it's probably best not to inundate new players with wacky cards with weird start-of-turn abilities and so on.  I also like the size of the one-set deck.  So I either play with the Base cards, or the expansion cards, but not both together.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: July 18, 2017, 02:44:00 pm »
+1

See, I get around this by keeping the Base and AR decks separate, mainly because I end up showing Temporum (and Dominion) to new people more than I end up playing it over and over with the same group of people, so it's probably best not to inundate new players with wacky cards with weird start-of-turn abilities and so on.  I also like the size of the one-set deck.  So I either play with the Base cards, or the expansion cards, but not both together.

I feel like the base game by itself is a bit too simple. Too many of the zones are same-y and a bit uninteresting. Like uh Holy Norse Empire and Roman Empire. They both give you some $ if you rule there ($3 and $2, respectively), but Roman Empire loses you $2 if you don't rule there. The game didn't need both of those zones. One of them could have been e.g. Bright Ages. Something with a twist, you know? Donald always cites his big mistake with the base game as having too many "Choose one" zones, but for me the biggest issue is easily the mundanity of the zones. I guess the issues are connected, since there's not much room for more text after the "Choose one" clause.

Anyway, the expansion fixes this issue with aplomb. I guess I have a hard time picturing a player who I want to play Temporum with, but who cannot handle the expansion stuff. I mean it's just not that complex. It's way more interesting, but not much more complex. Perfect.

The only thing I might eventually do is shrink the deck down to one copy of each card. It is really difficult to shuffle the 120-card deck.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: July 18, 2017, 04:03:30 pm »

I feel like the base game by itself is a bit too simple. Too many of the zones are same-y and a bit uninteresting. Like uh Holy Norse Empire and Roman Empire. They both give you some $ if you rule there ($3 and $2, respectively), but Roman Empire loses you $2 if you don't rule there. The game didn't need both of those zones. One of them could have been e.g. Bright Ages. Something with a twist, you know? Donald always cites his big mistake with the base game as having too many "Choose one" zones, but for me the biggest issue is easily the mundanity of the zones. I guess the issues are connected, since there's not much room for more text after the "Choose one" clause.

Anyway, the expansion fixes this issue with aplomb. I guess I have a hard time picturing a player who I want to play Temporum with, but who cannot handle the expansion stuff. I mean it's just not that complex. It's way more interesting, but not much more complex. Perfect.

Yeah, this. If I'm teaching new people, I'll usually just pick zones that aren't overly complex or punishing. Considering that base-game Temporum has about 4 rules you need to teach; adding in 1-2 extras for the expansion doesn't add confusion. I'll often even use the "countdown" zones with first-time players; hasn't been an issue yet.

The one thing that new players don't always get without explanation is the "start of turn" reaction-type cards. I suppose it's because they don't have general rules to teach what they do; so I would need to remember to point out that type of text separately.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

LuciferousPeridot

• Bishop
  • Respect: +201
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: September 02, 2017, 03:17:42 pm »
+1

IRL 3 player game, choosing Golden Goose on Earth United, with Hacker, on winning turn.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]  All

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 21 queries.