Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All

Author Topic: Temporum: Alternate Realities speculation  (Read 24167 times)

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
Re: Temporum: Alternate Realities speculation
« Reply #75 on: June 06, 2017, 08:58:41 pm »
+2

I just played a game vs. a bot on LuciferousPeridot's implementation. You know what's fun? Ruling the Tibetan Empire and having a Hacker (and two Explorers). Draw 2 cards (getting $4), then I may play a card without getting $. No, I'd rather score a card without getting $, thanks!

See, things like that are why I thought Hacker needed to give less money on play.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 06, 2017, 09:38:53 pm »

Just realized while scanning that the Hagia Sophia on the Byzantine Empire zone is anachronistic - it didn't get the four minarets until after the Ottomans took over! :(
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

A Drowned Kernel

• 2015 World Champion
  • They/Them
  • Respect: +1980
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 06, 2017, 09:50:55 pm »
+2

Just realized while scanning that the Hagia Sophia on the Byzantine Empire zone is anachronistic - it didn't get the four minarets until after the Ottomans took over! :(

In this timeline, maybe.
The perfect engine
But it will never go off
Three piles are empty

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 06, 2017, 10:04:41 pm »

I just played a game vs. a bot on LuciferousPeridot's implementation. You know what's fun? Ruling the Tibetan Empire and having a Hacker (and two Explorers). Draw 2 cards (getting $4), then I may play a card without getting $. No, I'd rather score a card without getting $, thanks!

See, things like that are why I thought Hacker needed to give less money on play.

That's interesting, because on the face of it, I think Hacker looks weak. I'd normally expect that sort of flexibility power to net you $10. There's no uh direct benefit, like +$, or drawing cards, or extra actions.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 06, 2017, 10:51:49 pm »
+1

That's interesting, because on the face of it, I think Hacker looks weak. I'd normally expect that sort of flexibility power to net you $10. There's no uh direct benefit, like +$, or drawing cards, or extra actions.

True that the benefit is much harder to quantify. And it's also more dependent on the kingdom; which zones let you play/score. But although I only saw it a handful of times, I'm pretty sure that every time I did, the player who got it out used it to great effect to get benefits that would have been worth it even if the card only gave you $6.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

trivialknot

• Jester
  • Respect: +1171
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 07, 2017, 02:06:48 pm »

After playing more games, I thought, wow, I forgot how overpowered Communist Utopia is!

Looking at all the zone cards in the base set, most of them give a bonus worth $2-$4 under the right circumstances.  But there are a few zones that give a bonus of $8: Communist Utopia, Information Age, and Space Age.  And they're not even that hard to trigger.

In the expansion, the standouts are: Floating Cities, Dutch Golden Age, Tibetan Empire, and all the hourglass zones.  These are much harder to benefit from.  I haven't gotten Floating Cities to work at all yet.

Also, in the base set, the swingiest cards are probably the powerful perpetuals, like Gang of Pickpockets or Conspiracy.  When you draw one of these at the beginning they can do a lot for you.  But the expansion seems to have more perpetuals that give you flexibility bonuses rather than value bonuses.

Overall, I think the expansion reduces the amount of luck, and pushes more careful planning.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 07, 2017, 04:18:15 pm »

Here's a rules question... does Kingdom of Trilobites allow you to change history in Time II and then in Time III even when it isn't being done because it's the start of your turn?

One way to do this: Have Hacker in play, go to Trilobites, and play Predict the Future. I'm guessing there's other ways as well.

I assume the answer is yes, as it follows from the literal reading of the cards. The FAQ for Trilobites says "normally at the start of a turn" but doesn't mention when it's not normal.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 07, 2017, 05:09:14 pm »

Here's a rules question... does Kingdom of Trilobites allow you to change history in Time II and then in Time III even when it isn't being done because it's the start of your turn?

One way to do this: Have Hacker in play, go to Trilobites, and play Predict the Future. I'm guessing there's other ways as well.

I assume the answer is yes, as it follows from the literal reading of the cards. The FAQ for Trilobites says "normally at the start of a turn" but doesn't mention when it's not normal.

From KoT's wording, I wouldn't think you'd even need to be in Age I for that to happen.  Play PtF in Age III, etc.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25672
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 07, 2017, 05:12:45 pm »

Kingdom of Trilobites: When you're here and get the opportunity to change history - normally at the start of a turn - you first may change history from Time I, then may change history from Time II (whether or not you changed Time II), then may from Time III. So you can pick a complete path down to Time IV.

That phrase "normally at the start of a turn" means there must be a non-normal situation - otherwise it would be a lie. And then there's the rest of the text telling you what happens. I mean I am looking at the FAQ, and it looks like I did well enough on this one.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 07, 2017, 05:18:42 pm »

From KoT's wording, I wouldn't think you'd even need to be in Age I for that to happen.  Play PtF in Age III, etc.
Predict the Future changes history where you are. It's not Change the Past.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 07, 2017, 05:23:01 pm »
+1

Kingdom of Trilobites: When you're here and get the opportunity to change history - normally at the start of a turn - you first may change history from Time I, then may change history from Time II (whether or not you changed Time II), then may from Time III. So you can pick a complete path down to Time IV.

That phrase "normally at the start of a turn" means there must be a non-normal situation - otherwise it would be a lie. And then there's the rest of the text telling you what happens. I mean I am looking at the FAQ, and it looks like I did well enough on this one.

Yeah I didn't really think it was unclear, I guess the question only came up because it was a surprising interaction that I hadn't ever thought of before. Like, KoT's ability expects that it will be getting used at the start of your turn, and then suddenly you can use a set of combo'd effects to do it differently.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 08, 2017, 08:21:27 pm »

Dutch Golden Age & Investments... is it the net amount you gained this turn, or does it just count money you got without looking at money you lost (such as paying zombies, etc)?

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 09, 2017, 01:08:49 pm »
+1

Dutch Golden Age & Investments... is it the net amount you gained this turn, or does it just count money you got without looking at money you lost (such as paying zombies, etc)?
Gains, not factoring in losses.

trivialknot

• Jester
  • Respect: +1171
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 09, 2017, 02:45:25 pm »

Here's a rules issue that came up earlier:

I go to Exodus, and advance 3 crowns from Time I.  However, my opponent pointed out that I had 1 crown ruling Meritocracy in Time III.  Therefore, I had to choose Meritocracy, advancing only 1 crown.  I agreed with this ruling, although I'm not entirely sure.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 09, 2017, 04:08:24 pm »

Here's a rules issue that came up earlier:

I go to Exodus, and advance 3 crowns from Time I.  However, my opponent pointed out that I had 1 crown ruling Meritocracy in Time III.  Therefore, I had to choose Meritocracy, advancing only 1 crown.  I agreed with this ruling, although I'm not entirely sure.

The opponent's ruling sounds right to me.... you were advancing crowns, advancing from Meritocracy was an option because you ruled it, and Meritocracy was real (right?) so its text applied. So you would have to choose Meritocracy. The possible question comes into play with the fact that you were following instructions that required you to advance 2 crowns from the same place, while normally advancing 2 crowns could happen from 2 different places. But I think in this case it would be covered by the "do as much as you can" principle.

Related, would you be allowed to go to Exodus and choose a Time you rule where you only have 1 Crown, advancing just 1 instead of 2? I'm almost positive you could, and you would just do as much as you can. So same thing here, as long as Meritocracy is a choice, you must choose it.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: June 09, 2017, 08:27:09 pm »

Three great games last night! And uh one mediocre one. I'll think twice before including both Alien Egypt and Capitalist Utopia again.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 09, 2017, 09:00:11 pm »

Three great games last night! And uh one mediocre one. I'll think twice before including both Alien Egypt and Capitalist Utopia again.

Why? That just sounds like an interesting choice you have to make for which to go for. Not like you can use CU whenever you want anyway.

I had an interesting one last night with Trojan War. Man that just messes everything up. We also had Zombies... it hadn't occurred to me how hard it is to get rid of a zombie once you get one. He only way to avoid paying $2 each turn for the rest of the game is to either have time change aroud you (which your opponent has to choose to do for you), or for an opponent to move to you and then move again before you do.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 09, 2017, 09:35:22 pm »

Why? That just sounds like an interesting choice you have to make for which to go for. Not like you can use CU whenever you want anyway.

Because when the other two players are going for it, I couldn't keep it unreal, especially not if I actually wanted to get anything done for myself. It was the third Time IV zone and they had multiple avenues to it. And I think you underestimate how quick it is to rack up $ there.

I had an interesting one last night with Trojan War. Man that just messes everything up. We also had Zombies... it hadn't occurred to me how hard it is to get rid of a zombie once you get one. He only way to avoid paying $2 each turn for the rest of the game is to either have time change around you (which your opponent has to choose to do for you), or for an opponent to move to you and then move again before you do.

Huh? Normally you move to an opponent and then hope they move elsewhere, taking the zombie with them.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 09, 2017, 09:39:05 pm »

Yes.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 09, 2017, 09:40:04 pm »

Related, would you be allowed to go to Exodus and choose a Time you rule where you only have 1 Crown, advancing just 1 instead of 2? I'm almost positive you could, and you would just do as much as you can. So same thing here, as long as Meritocracy is a choice, you must choose it.
Yes, you can pick any Time you rule, which could even have zero crowns.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 09, 2017, 09:40:40 pm »

Huh? Normally you move to an opponent and then hope they move elsewhere, taking the zombie with them.
That has certainly been my experience.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 10, 2017, 06:50:14 pm »

That has certainly been my experience.

Right, oops, of course. In our game though, all 3 of us had zombies so that didn't work.

Deadlock39

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1757
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 10, 2017, 11:43:32 pm »

Yeah, I played with the zombies in a 2p game, and we were never able to shake them. There were several points where it discouraged changing time because it would free your opponent from the zombie. The zombies sadly just felt a bit boring instead of fun. This may just be a unfortunate side effect of starting in that zone, that wouldn't be an issue if we had to make the decision to voluntarily take them on to obtain a Gizmo. In any case, I think I will attempt a house rule next time I play with them to only have [# of players - 1] zombies out because that guarantees some fun passing zombies around action.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 11, 2017, 07:46:11 am »

Yeah, I played with the zombies in a 2p game, and we were never able to shake them. There were several points where it discouraged changing time because it would free your opponent from the zombie. The zombies sadly just felt a bit boring instead of fun. This may just be a unfortunate side effect of starting in that zone, that wouldn't be an issue if we had to make the decision to voluntarily take them on to obtain a Gizmo. In any case, I think I will attempt a house rule next time I play with them to only have [# of players - 1] zombies out because that guarantees some fun passing zombies around action.

We purposefully chose to include zombies, but also purposefully chose to not start it in the second / starting spot. I'd never want to play a game where zombies start there.

Mic Qsenoch

• 2015 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4329
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 11, 2017, 11:07:19 pm »
+1

I played a 5p game tonight where someone went to Earth United (everyone else plays a Momentary once and you play it twice) on turn 2. He chose Ancient Scroll (each player draws a card). He threatened to do the same thing with Inventor's Journal (draw a card per player, give each other player a card) the next turn but did not do it. I think only 1 person visited Time II once that game.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2017, 11:14:57 pm by Mic Qsenoch »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All

Page created in 0.062 seconds with 21 queries.