Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All

Author Topic: Temporum: Alternate Realities speculation  (Read 24184 times)

BlackHole

• Coppersmith
  • Respect: +57
    • View Profile
Re: Temporum: Alternate Realities speculation
« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2017, 03:10:35 pm »

I ordered my copy at miniature market. Seems like they have some left ;)
http://www.miniaturemarket.com/rio521.html

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2017, 03:19:53 pm »

I ordered my copy at miniature market. Seems like they have some left ;)
http://www.miniaturemarket.com/rio521.html

Yeah I was just putting together a shopping cart there, since they also have a $100 free shipping thing.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25672
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2017, 05:32:24 pm »

There are not many copies, and probably no more will be printed. The base game itself would have to do better.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2017, 06:09:27 pm »

There are not many copies, and probably no more will be printed. The base game itself would have to do better.

Oh sure, the old "supplies are limited" sales technique.  ;D

It worked though, just pre-ordered from Miniature Market. No free shipping, but it's super-reasonable there; $5.99 no matter how much you're getting.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2017, 10:33:17 am »
+3

Look what just came in the mail

Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2017, 10:57:48 am »

How?? I thought the release date was tomorrow.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2017, 11:21:05 am »
+5

How?? I thought the release date was tomorrow.

Amazon stocked early? 

New zone cards (don't have my printer, so phone pictures):

Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

LuciferousPeridot

• Bishop
  • Respect: +201
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2017, 11:55:53 am »

aghhh!

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2017, 12:12:40 pm »
+5

Player cards:

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 21, 2017, 12:53:00 pm »
+1

I normally don't care one way or another about art/design, but I really like the color/border around the "reaction" abilities on player cards.

And I can finally say what I've been wanting to say for almost 2 and a half years... Alien Egypt is my favorite new thing in this expansion. Also, Hacker is crazy good.

A Drowned Kernel

• 2015 World Champion
  • They/Them
  • Respect: +1980
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 21, 2017, 03:35:45 pm »
+2

That Chrono Trigger reference tho
The perfect engine
But it will never go off
Three piles are empty

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 21, 2017, 03:50:24 pm »

? Never played that game

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25672
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 21, 2017, 05:57:52 pm »

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 21, 2017, 06:38:14 pm »

? Never played that game
Me neither.

I have, but I'm not sure which card ADK is referencing. "A Place Outside Time"?

EDIT: Yeah, it's probably that. I will just bet Alayna has played Chrono Trigger. The fence and lamppost are pretty evocative.

EDIT: OK yes, I didn't realize the design on the fence was exactly the same. There is no way it's a coincidence. Well done, Alayna.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2017, 07:54:40 pm by LastFootnote »

Alayna

• Pawn
  • Respect: +12
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio of Alayna Lemmer-Danner
« Reply #39 on: May 21, 2017, 10:34:27 pm »
+12

I couldn't resist with a card name like that...  :)
Definitely listened to a lot of Yasunori Mitsuda while working on this game (although it was a lot of Myth from Xenogears).  :D

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 21, 2017, 10:38:35 pm »

I knew I had seen that before, but didn't know from where. I assumed it would be a Dr Who thing. Definitely remember now. Nice!
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

BlackHole

• Coppersmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 22, 2017, 04:31:11 am »

So cool :)
So Exodus says "Advance 2 crowns of yours from a time you rule, then a third if you still rule there."? :D
Plus that box of cause.  ;)

trivialknot

• Jester
  • Respect: +1171
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 23, 2017, 01:58:19 pm »
+3

How good is Alien Egypt?  To win normally, you need 30 crowns = $120.  To win by Alien Egypt, you need $100 + 1 turn = $108.  So Alien Egypt saves you $12, or 1.5 turns.

So, a few options:
1. Play an ordinary strategy, taking advantage of the bonuses for ruling times, and win by crowns.
2. Play your 2 cards, then sit on Alien Egypt for the rest of the game, taking money until you win.
3. Cleverly draw and play cards, earning more than $8 a turn, and winning by Alien Egypt.
4. Cleverly advance a few crowns to rule some times, earning more than $8 a turn, and winning by Alien Egypt.

I'm kind of surprised that strategy #2 is even allowed, since it doesn't seem like the kind of game DXV would want to encourage.  But maybe the reason it's allowed is that it's not very strong.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 23, 2017, 02:52:54 pm »
+1

How good is Alien Egypt?  To win normally, you need 30 crowns = $120.  To win by Alien Egypt, you need $100 + 1 turn = $108.  So Alien Egypt saves you $12, or 1.5 turns.

So, a few options:
1. Play an ordinary strategy, taking advantage of the bonuses for ruling times, and win by crowns.
2. Play your 2 cards, then sit on Alien Egypt for the rest of the game, taking money until you win.
3. Cleverly draw and play cards, earning more than $8 a turn, and winning by Alien Egypt.
4. Cleverly advance a few crowns to rule some times, earning more than $8 a turn, and winning by Alien Egypt.

I'm kind of surprised that strategy #2 is even allowed, since it doesn't seem like the kind of game DXV would want to encourage.  But maybe the reason it's allowed is that it's not very strong.

#2 is definitely not strong. Among many other factors, you have 2 cards in your hand to start, and if you never play or score those cards, you've wasted 2 really important resources. Then there's the fact that you'll never rule a time (until maybe eventually time 1).

#3 is generally the way to win Alien Egypt, though I'm not sure that #4 is a different strategy than #3; cleverly drawing and playing cards generally involves advancing a few crowns anyway. Though crown advancement is less important if you plan to win with Alien Egypt.

From my experience, the $100 needed for Alien Egypt is just the right amount to make it so that it's neither an automatic go-for or an automatic avoid. It is helped by things that provide more-than-average money, of course. So Golden Goose, Warm Globe, Summer of Love, etc.

BlackHole

• Coppersmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 23, 2017, 05:12:25 pm »
+1

So, a few options:

#2 is definitely not strong. Among many other factors, you have 2 cards in your hand to start, and if you never play or score those cards, you've wasted 2 really important resources. Then there's the fact that you'll never rule a time (until maybe eventually time 1).

#3 is generally the way to win Alien Egypt, though I'm not sure that #4 is a different strategy than #3; cleverly drawing and playing cards generally involves advancing a few crowns anyway. Though crown advancement is less important if you plan to win with Alien Egypt.

From my experience, the $100 needed for Alien Egypt is just the right amount to make it so that it's neither an automatic go-for or an automatic avoid. It is helped by things that provide more-than-average money, of course. So Golden Goose, Warm Globe, Summer of Love, etc.
I would also say #3 sounds the most reasonable. And time 1 ruling sounds like the usual way when going for Alien Egypt.
But it's really interesting that the benchmark is exactly 100$. Why not 95 or 108 or something else? Looks a bit like this was set on purpose, but how high do you want to deviate from the exact amount to get a nice number? That's a question to be hopefully answered by the secret history ;)

Apart from that, do things like Golden Goose, Warm Globe or Summer of Love really not help the 'normal' strategy too? I mean you have the experience, Gendo, but I would rather say, going for the Alien strategy implies playing more cards than a normal strategy, thus cards like Gang of Pickpockets or Black Market let you profit much more of going for Alien Egypt.

Speaking of strategy, I also think Trade Goods is bit tricky. As it is a card which is not worth the card itsself (scoring it only advances 2, not 3, for 0$), you'd better use it not for playing or scoring, but for discarding or other things, where it plays a role as card in your hand rather than something you want to play/score, right? Really looking forward to play with it. :)

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 23, 2017, 05:36:37 pm »
+2

The main thing with Golden Goose is that it provides only money, which is the only thing you ultimately need for Alien Egypt. While Golden Goose can make the whole game go faster anyway, it's also possible that the extra money is worthless to opponents who are going for the score instead. Especially if played late in the game. What I mean is, all the extra money in the world isn't going to help them if they don't have the cards to score.

I think you're definitely right about Gang of Pickpockets and Black Market (And now Bank). All the score turns for a normal strategy are probably play turns instead, so definitely more playing per game.

I wouldn't put too much stock in my experience, though; I only had a small handful of games with Alien Egypt.

trivialknot

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 23, 2017, 06:57:10 pm »
+1

Well now, I said that you'd play your starting cards first.  But that's only your first 2 turns.

The thing is, in the context of pursuing Alien Egypt, most cards give less than $12, either because they provide flexibility you don't need, or advance crowns you don't need.  If the ruling bonuses are weak, $8 per turn seems competitive.

I mean, that's only my initial reaction.  I'm sure it was playtested and stuff.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 24, 2017, 01:03:51 am »
+3

Just played my first two games with Alternate Realities - it's fun!  We played with all new zones, and only the new cards.  The first game I tried to keep simple, since one of the 3 players had never played Temporum before.  He quite liked A Place Outside Time, and got one both games.  The first one was fairly straightforward, and the other player, who had played before, ended up winning.  The second game, though, was rather ridiculous.  We started in the Zombie Apocalypse (intentionally ;) ), so the first two-thirds of the game was spent escaping the zombies.  It was also really amusing when you could time-shift someone back into a zombie.  Age I was Alien Egypt, and I spent the game getting as much as possible, before making Capitalist Utopia real and getting about $70.  It was at that point that the other two players tried to stymie me as much as possible, but even throwing zombies at me couldn't stop me.  It was interesting playing Temporum and not even bothering to score a single card.

BlackHole

• Coppersmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 24, 2017, 10:34:43 am »

The main thing with Golden Goose is that it provides only money, which is the only thing you ultimately need for Alien Egypt. While Golden Goose can make the whole game go faster anyway, it's also possible that the extra money is worthless to opponents who are going for the score instead. Especially if played late in the game. What I mean is, all the extra money in the world isn't going to help them if they don't have the cards to score.

I think you're definitely right about Gang of Pickpockets and Black Market (And now Bank). All the score turns for a normal strategy are probably play turns instead, so definitely more playing per game.

I wouldn't put too much stock in my experience, though; I only had a small handful of games with Alien Egypt.
Yeah, that of cause is right. But if not played in the endgame, you usually can do something with the money. Until you come to the point where you need to have the right card to score just the right amount of coins. Then it the extra money changes nothing for your opponents, thats perfekt.

For me it seems like in general this expasion really pushes the 'transform your recources at the right moment' theme. Therefore, with cards like Tactitian or Visoinary being accessible, this maybe weakens the 'I give you money which you can't use'-thing. But on the other hand, retreating crowns for other resources like in Cutthroat's Cutlass also fits in this theme, but strenghtens Alien Egypt. I think designwise this really is a step further than the base game, and it even pushes the point that all players could finish the game at roughly the same time.
There are also less cards which give you a super bonus for scoring more times, like King's Sword or Gladiator's Gladius. Maybe rather than this, the ruling options now change quite heavily with cards like Meritocracy, Capitalist Utopia and Secret Weapon. Which is very interesting. It's just a super cool expansion :)

trivialknot

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 24, 2017, 01:08:41 pm »

Zombie Apocalypse seems like a really cool card.  But if you bring a zombie with you, do you move the zombie first and pay $2, or do you move first, and not pay $2?  Seems like it would play completely differently depending on your interpretation.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All

Page created in 0.054 seconds with 21 queries.