Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: How to get 2nd edition except for Dominion and Intrigue  (Read 22268 times)

crj

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1644
    • View Profile
Re: How to get 2nd edition except for Dominion and Intrigue
« Reply #50 on: September 29, 2017, 11:20:31 pm »
+2

You very rarely play a Chapel to trash zero cards.
Hmm. I must be strange. I've many times played a Chapel to cost-reduce Peddler. I've also Princed a Chapel to good effect in a Mountebank game.

I've also owned Chapels in a game with Herald, though I don't recall if I was ever forced to play Chapel then chose not to trash anything.

It seems to crop up surprisingly often.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 01, 2017, 08:36:37 pm »
+1

You very rarely play a Chapel to trash zero cards.
Hmm. I must be strange. I've many times played a Chapel to cost-reduce Peddler. I've also Princed a Chapel to good effect in a Mountebank game.

I've also owned Chapels in a game with Herald, though I don't recall if I was ever forced to play Chapel then chose not to trash anything.

It seems to crop up surprisingly often.

I think by "you", he meant the average new payer who isn't going to be doing any of the things you just mentioned. And by "rarely" he meant in comparison to how often you would want to play a Knight just for the attack. You "very rarely" want to buy Curses or Coppers, but most of the people on this forum have played numerous games where we have done so.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

crj

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1644
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 03, 2017, 08:20:07 am »
+2

I've played Chapel to trash nothing way more often than I've bought a Curse.

Admittedly, that's because I've only played Defiled Shrine once, and my normal policy is to let someone else lose tempo by buying the first Curse in an Ambassador game. (-8

Chappy7

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chappy7
  • Respect: +660
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 03, 2017, 02:42:20 pm »

I think "up to 4" Pretty clearly includes 0,1,2,3,4. I thought that from day one of playing dominion. (Although admittedly it really didn't ever matter to me until I'd already played lots of dominion)
It might as well say "Trash fewer than 5 cards"

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 03, 2017, 02:48:57 pm »
+2

I think "up to 4" Pretty clearly includes 0,1,2,3,4. I thought that from day one of playing dominion. (Although admittedly it really didn't ever matter to me until I'd already played lots of dominion)
It might as well say "Trash fewer than 5 cards"

Chose one: Trash 0 cards from your hand; or trash 1 card from your hand; or trash 2 cards from your hand; or trash 3 cards from your hand; or trash 4 cards from your hand.

But while I agree that "up to" should clearly include 0; that doesn't stop other people from being confused. "Play an action card from your hand twice" clearly means... "play an action card from your hand twice", yet people still get confused and ask what happens if Throne Room a Throne Room.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2017, 02:50:40 pm by GendoIkari »
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

sonotoridesu

• Swindler
  • Shuffle iT Username: sonotoridesu
  • Respect: +12
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 04, 2017, 05:09:14 pm »

Is there an ETA on Cornucopia/Guilds and Alchemy? I know Nocturne is about to come out now but I'm pretty excited to complete my Dominion 2nd ed collection.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25672
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 04, 2017, 05:42:40 pm »
+3

Is there an ETA on Cornucopia/Guilds and Alchemy? I know Nocturne is about to come out now but I'm pretty excited to complete my Dominion 2nd ed collection.
The layout isn't done for Guilds/Cornucopia, so it's months away. Nothing has even been started for Alchemy.

sonotoridesu

• Swindler
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 04, 2017, 09:52:29 pm »

The layout isn't done for Guilds/Cornucopia, so it's months away. Nothing has even been started for Alchemy.

Thank you.

Oyvind

• Golem
  • Respect: +118
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 13, 2017, 06:19:27 pm »

Just to be certain: I think you’ve stated that the Potions won’t be changed for 2e, because they won’t need a numerical value printed on them like the other basic cards. I also believe you said that the Base Cards set will be updated (after all other sets have been 2e-ed, iIrc).

Does this mean that there’s only plans for reprinting Potions in a 2e Base Cards set, and that we may never see a 2e Alchemy, or were you specifically talking about online, when you talked about Potion not getting a change? I’m just worried that once all sets have been updated to the 2e standard, Alchemy is no longer a part of the ‘official’ card pool. But then again, I guess it wouldn’t make any sense to include Potions in the new Base Cards set, if that was the case.

I’d like to get my hands on the ‘art’ Potions again (my old copy of Base Cards has been sold to my gaming group at work, because mixing the Base Cards and 2e basic cards bugs me a bit, because of the slightly different design). Do I need to buy another 1e Base Cards set to get back those nice-looking Potions? If I just have to wait for a year or two, I can live with that, but if the plan is not to reprint Alchemy at all, it would be good to know.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 13, 2017, 08:59:14 pm »
+3

Just to be certain: I think you’ve stated that the Potions won’t be changed for 2e, because they won’t need a numerical value printed on them like the other basic cards. I also believe you said that the Base Cards set will be updated (after all other sets have been 2e-ed, iIrc).

Does this mean that there’s only plans for reprinting Potions in a 2e Base Cards set, and that we may never see a 2e Alchemy, or were you specifically talking about online, when you talked about Potion not getting a change? I’m just worried that once all sets have been updated to the 2e standard, Alchemy is no longer a part of the ‘official’ card pool. But then again, I guess it wouldn’t make any sense to include Potions in the new Base Cards set, if that was the case.

I’d like to get my hands on the ‘art’ Potions again (my old copy of Base Cards has been sold to my gaming group at work, because mixing the Base Cards and 2e basic cards bugs me a bit, because of the slightly different design). Do I need to buy another 1e Base Cards set to get back those nice-looking Potions? If I just have to wait for a year or two, I can live with that, but if the plan is not to reprint Alchemy at all, it would be good to know.
2E in the sense of new cards, only Dominion and Intrigue got that. 2E in the sense of improved layout etc., all sets are getting that. Alchemy will be last. This was just based on the order that things ran out of stock.

Potion will be updated for the new Base Cards (and then Alchemy, I believe Base Cards will come first), but I expect it will just have better centering and that's it. We intentionally are keeping the image the same.

Oyvind

• Golem
  • Respect: +118
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: November 14, 2017, 01:43:16 am »

2E in the sense of new cards, only Dominion and Intrigue got that. 2E in the sense of improved layout etc., all sets are getting that. Alchemy will be last. This was just based on the order that things ran out of stock.

Potion will be updated for the new Base Cards (and then Alchemy, I believe Base Cards will come first), but I expect it will just have better centering and that's it. We intentionally are keeping the image the same.

What a relief! Thanks a lot for the detailed reply. I knew that only the layout/text will be changed for the sets other than Dominion and Intrigue, so this was more about the Potion cards and the continuity in design and language across all sets than anything else. Glad to hear that I’ll get the ‘art’ Potions back in my collection eventually!  8)

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 14, 2017, 09:25:14 am »

Where can we keep up on news for the new Base Cards?

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 14, 2017, 11:52:58 am »
+1

boardgamegeek.com, dominionstrategy.com, r/dominion

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 14, 2017, 01:56:34 pm »

boardgamegeek.com, dominionstrategy.com, r/dominion

In other words, you or RGG won't forget or neglect to announce it. Thanks!

sonotoridesu

• Swindler
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 22, 2018, 06:57:54 pm »

I see Guilds/Cornucopia back in stock on Amazon. Does that mean the 2nd ed for it is out now?

Edit: Nevermind. Someone posted about it in a different thread.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2018, 07:20:03 pm by sonotoridesu »

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 23, 2018, 01:36:01 pm »

I see Guilds/Cornucopia back in stock on Amazon. Does that mean the 2nd ed for it is out now?

I just want to make sure it is the second edition before ordering it.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

sonotoridesu

• Swindler
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 23, 2018, 02:13:05 pm »

I'll probably grab it when it comes back in stock on Miniature Market.

Fuu

• Bishop
  • Shuffle iT Username: Fuu
  • Respect: +87
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 24, 2018, 07:51:19 pm »

A couple of weeks ago Guilds/Cornucopia was on Amazon for something like $200. It's normal price now (whereas standalone Guilds is still something like $80) so perhaps it's safe to assume that the normal price implies 2nd edition. Nevertheless I'm also somehow managing to hold back just to be sure, even though it completes my wishlist of expansions.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Page created in 0.054 seconds with 21 queries.