Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: How to get 2nd edition except for Dominion and Intrigue  (Read 22263 times)

Oyvind

• Golem
  • Respect: +118
    • View Profile
How to get 2nd edition except for Dominion and Intrigue
« on: March 07, 2017, 10:17:30 am »

Hi, I'm surprised I haven't found anyone asking. I guess it's not possible that I'm the only one wondering, so it must be in here somewhere. I'm probably just terrible at searching.

My question is: How can I get my hands on physical copies of second edition versions of Hinterlands, Prosperity and the promos? According to the wiki, these are the sets currently available in second edition print (in addition to the labeled Dominion and Intrigue).

Amazon can't say if they have the first or the second edition versions (and they've told me to ask RGG!?!), my FLGS currently can't get them, as the distributor doesn't know how to distingush the different versions. I've searched extensively (IMHO) for these online, but I can't find anyone selling these, or knowing that they're selling these. Can anyone please help?
« Last Edit: March 07, 2017, 11:04:05 am by Oyvind »

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
Re: How to get 2nd edition except for Dominion and Intrigue
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2017, 10:30:10 am »
+2

If you're looking in person, the back of the box should say "requires Base game or Base Cards pack to play", whereas the first edition would call Intrigue a standalone set.  You can also check the copyright - 2nd edition should be copyright 2016.

Online, if it costs a normal amount ($30-50), it's probably 2nd edition.  If it costs something exorbitant (~$100), it's probably 1st edition.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Oyvind

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2017, 10:42:30 am »

Thanks a lot for the quick reply. I visited my FLGS the other day and, having read DXV's comment about looking for a reference to the "first edition" of Intrigue, it was clear they didn't get the updated version in their latest shipment.

When it comes to costs online, I'm afraid "probably" isn't going to cut it for me. I have all sets and promo cards. The cards that are translated to Norwegian are included twice in my collection, in both their English and their Norwegian versions, and I also have a Japanese Alchemy. I'm a completist, and risking getting the first edition versions again isn't that appealing, especially because I have to pay loads of money for shipping to Norway in addition to the cost of the game itself.

Does anyone know for sure where I can get the versions I'm looking for? Maybe someone who has already bought them, either online or from a LGS? BGG lists the promos (well, most of them) for sale, but only in their original versions.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2017, 11:10:03 am by Oyvind »

Oyvind

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2017, 10:54:05 am »

BTW, I hope I didn't come across as ungrateful. I really appreciated your reply, but it just wasn't exactly what I was looking for.  :)
« Last Edit: March 07, 2017, 11:02:06 am by Oyvind »

Varrey

• Pawn
  • Respect: +1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2017, 08:12:15 pm »
+1

I can verify that I have purchased the 2nd editions of Hinterlands and Prosperity from Amazon, which arrived earlier today. They both say "(or the 1st edition of Intrigue)" on the back of the box, which is the giveaway.

Also the Prosperity set has the nice new Platinum and Colonies.

Oyvind

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2017, 05:51:16 am »

Thanks a lot! I'm ordering right away! Happy gaming!

Jeebus

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jeebus
  • Respect: +1635
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2017, 11:56:28 am »

Where in the wiki did you find this information? I just found out that Prosperity is in 2nd edition. I maintain complete rules document on BGG, so I want to know which sets are out in 2nd editions.

I see that you are Norwegian like me (although I live in Mexico now). :) I'm not a completist like you, although I'm somewhat jealous. It would be nice to have new editions of all the cards, especially Outpost, Masquerade etc. I only bought the base game 2nd edition, and the Intrigue update pack.

I was just in Norway and organized the Dominion Norwegian championships (at Arcon). The last time I organized it, 4 years ago, there were 30 participants, but this year it was sadly only 9. (Maybe because of a huge number of competing events and/or a later time slot...) I guess you couldn't make it? Maybe you're not in Oslo.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25671
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2017, 06:03:10 pm »
+4

Where in the wiki did you find this information? I just found out that Prosperity is in 2nd edition. I maintain complete rules document on BGG, so I want to know which sets are out in 2nd editions.
Currently Prosperity and Hinterlands are 2E (and Dominion and Intrigue and the Big Box).

Seaside should be coming any day, Dark Ages in a few months.

roshavi4ak

• Pawn
  • Respect: +2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2017, 06:51:17 am »

I was too impatient and bought Dark Ages last week. Can't wait to arrive :) (only Guild and my collection will be full)
Someone told me that in 2018 a new expansion will be released... Is that true? :)

Major Isoor

• Pawn
  • Respect: +3
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2017, 07:05:44 am »
+1

Currently Prosperity and Hinterlands are 2E (and Dominion and Intrigue and the Big Box).

Seaside should be coming any day, Dark Ages in a few months.

Hi Donald! Speaking of Seaside, I've noticed that it's just come back in-stock at Amazon (link). Hate to ask it, but do you by any chance know whether or not the copies sold by Amazon directly is the reprint? (There's another seller who states they have the reprint, however they only ship within the US)
I'm somewhat hesitant to jump on it is all, as a few Australian shops recently got some more stock in, in the last few days - however all those copies were the original version!

Any insight on the topic would be greatly appreciated. Can't wait to grab Seaside, as well as maybe (read: probably! ;D ) Hinterlands

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2017, 07:07:50 am »
+2

Hi Donald! Speaking of Seaside, I've noticed that it's just come back in-stock at Amazon (link). Hate to ask it, but do you by any chance know whether or not the copies sold by Amazon directly is the reprint? (There's another seller who states they have the reprint, however they only ship within the US)
I'm somewhat hesitant to jump on it is all, as a few Australian shops recently got some more stock in, in the last few days - however all those copies were the original version!

Any insight on the topic would be greatly appreciated. Can't wait to grab Seaside, as well as maybe (read: probably! ;D ) Hinterlands
I have no special way to tell what Amazon is selling. I do know though that the second edition of Seaside is out, it has been shipped to distributors.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2017, 09:28:40 am »
+1

I have no special way to tell what Amazon is selling. I do know though that the second edition of Seaside is out, it has been shipped to distributors.

Good to hear!  Could you possibly send along scans of the cards that I can put up on the wiki?
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2017, 07:05:59 pm »
+2

Good to hear!  Could you possibly send along scans of the cards that I can put up on the wiki?
One day, all the scans will be bad!

I can but it will be ~a week as I haven't received my copies yet.

Major Isoor

• Pawn
  • Respect: +3
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2017, 09:16:51 pm »
+1

Wow, that was a fast response - were your ears burning from sensing your name being said, when I made my post? ;D
And alright then, thanks for the update. I think I might take the plunge today or tomorrow anyway, since Amazon is normally pretty good with having current stock available (and they were previously out-of-stock until a couple of days ago, so hopefully they don't have any old copies leftover) from what I've seen.

So, what are the actual changes with Seaside's cards, anyway? I know the phrasing is being updated to be clearer and also gender-neutral, but are there any major changes to the cards (like with the artwork on platinum+colonies in Prosperity) in Seaside, or?

Also, let me just be the millionth person to congratulate you on making such a great game! Since when I was first shown it by a friend I wasn't convinced about how good a purely card-based game (that looked kinda like moneysink games such as MTG) would be, but after giving it a go, it was highly engaging. Best card game I've played, and undoubtedly one of the best tabletop games I've played, overall!

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2017, 09:32:30 pm »
+2

Wow, that was a fast response - were your ears burning from sensing your name being said, when I made my post? ;D
And alright then, thanks for the update. I think I might take the plunge today or tomorrow anyway, since Amazon is normally pretty good with having current stock available (and they were previously out-of-stock until a couple of days ago, so hopefully they don't have any old copies leftover) from what I've seen.

So, what are the actual changes with Seaside's cards, anyway? I know the phrasing is being updated to be clearer and also gender-neutral, but are there any major changes to the cards (like with the artwork on platinum+colonies in Prosperity) in Seaside, or?

Also, let me just be the millionth person to congratulate you on making such a great game! Since when I was first shown it by a friend I wasn't convinced about how good a purely card-based game (that looked kinda like moneysink games such as MTG) would be, but after giving it a go, it was highly engaging. Best card game I've played, and undoubtedly one of the best tabletop games I've played, overall!
Thanks; none of the other expansions have new cards, and Prosperity / Platinum are the only other cards with non-text-box layout changes (Potion will stay the same). Aside from better phrasings and bigger fonts and things, Outpost is functionally different in exotic circumstances.

You never notice the coincidences that don't happen! I randomly refresh the forums from time to time, and sometimes that will turn out to be right after someone asked me a question.

Jeebus

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jeebus
  • Respect: +1635
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2017, 11:44:32 pm »

This might be interesting to you: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16833.msg669609#msg669609

dane-m

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: dane-m
  • Respect: +196
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2017, 02:06:37 am »

Will there ever be any way of buying just those cards (Outpost, Throne Room, Possession, Envoy, Stash etc) that have had functional changes or corrections made to them since the 1st editions (as opposed to cards that have had their wording changed but have remained functionally the same)?  When we play ftf we like to use the current rules, but that means that we have to remember which cards have changed and how.  I don't suppose a box set of corrected cards is something that one would want to sell through normal channels, but I suspect it's something that many existing Dominion players would like to buy.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2017, 02:39:43 am »

Will there ever be any way of buying just those cards (Outpost, Throne Room, Possession, Envoy, Stash etc) that have had functional changes or corrections made to them since the 1st editions (as opposed to cards that have had their wording changed but have remained functionally the same)?  When we play ftf we like to use the current rules, but that means that we have to remember which cards have changed and how.  I don't suppose a box set of corrected cards is something that one would want to sell through normal channels, but I suspect it's something that many existing Dominion players would like to buy.
We have no plans to put out such a product, and it seems impossible that there will ever be sufficient demand.

It would be great if people didn't resent this, if we weren't forced to not make good changes that make the game better, due to people being mad unless we also put out a horrible product consisting of the cards with very minor changes. In general the potential for people to be mad in these situations stops the game from being improved; it's strictly a force for evil.

And if it hadn't been for this force, if there had been no concern over people being mad at us for not letting them buy a special set of things like almost identical Moneylenders, then I'm sure I would have changed more, and the game would be even better as a result. So, it's a bummer, but what can you do, human nature.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2017, 09:53:57 am »
+2

I think you might find this product will satisfy your needs:

sonotoridesu

• Swindler
  • Shuffle iT Username: sonotoridesu
  • Respect: +12
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2017, 03:54:28 pm »

Is Alchemy 2nd ed now? I want to fill out an order on Miniature Market for free shipping and they have 2 in stock.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2017, 04:12:04 pm »
+1

sonotoridesu

• Swindler
  • Shuffle iT Username: sonotoridesu
  • Respect: +12
    • View Profile

Kevin K

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +18
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2017, 12:40:50 pm »

I am new to Dominion having just purchased the Big Box Base and Intrigue and Prosperity.  As I understand things Hinterlands and Seaside are now 2nd Ed.  with Dark Ages to come in a few months. 

My question is do Empires and Adventures (since these are newer) have the cleaned up and bigger text that the 2nd Ed. have?
My understanding is that Alchemy, Guilds and Cornucopia are still 1st Ed. and do not have the bigger, better text.  Is all of this correct?

Thanks, Kevin

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2017, 01:09:24 pm »
+1

I am new to Dominion having just purchased the Big Box Base and Intrigue and Prosperity.  As I understand things Hinterlands and Seaside are now 2nd Ed.  with Dark Ages to come in a few months. 

My question is do Empires and Adventures (since these are newer) have the cleaned up and bigger text that the 2nd Ed. have?
My understanding is that Alchemy, Guilds and Cornucopia are still 1st Ed. and do not have the bigger, better text.  Is all of this correct?
Empires was always 2E. Adventures is out but any given store might have the old version still (check the back of the box, if it mentions "first edition of Intrigue" then it's the new edition). Alchemy and Guilds/Cornucopia have not been updated.

Kevin K

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +18
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2017, 02:23:20 pm »

Thanks for the quick response.  I will be picking up the 2nd Eds. Getting too old for smaller text.

Kevin
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.107 seconds with 21 queries.