Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Fond Dominion memories?  (Read 987 times)

ackmondual

• Witch
  • Respect: +294
    • View Profile
Fond Dominion memories?
« on: March 06, 2017, 03:10:44 am »
+2

These that stand out for me:
1) The year when Dominion came out at medium sized convention (about few hundred attendees).  I spent all day busy with other games that even though I added trying out Dominion on my "to play list", I never got around it.  I wondered if there were any copies for public use, and anybody left at 2am to teach the game.  Looking and asking around... there were 2 tables forming up, and I was able to join one of them!  8)  Did the First Game and Big Money presets!

2) As the expansions were coming out (from Intrigue to Prosperity), me and 1 to 2 others in a gaming group that normally gets 3 to 7 tables going at once (average 4 tables) would be the ones remaining into the night.  The guy who owned the sets of Dominion was also entrusted with the key to the venue, so we were able to stick around on account of being able to lockup the place.  We'd wind down the night with back, to back, to back, to back, to back games of Dominion, just going full random, and trying out various Kingdom card setups.  On more than one occasion, the sun was back up by the time we called it a "night".

As a bonus, I failed to buy some stuff from Trader Joe's the day before since they closed at 9pm.  However, it was now 8am, and I can now shop there now.  As a bonus, since I'm going straight home, I can now buy perishables, like milk and meat  :-*

3) Even though I realized this game would be so insanely popular that I wouldn't need to get my own copy (I could just play someone else's copy), I ended up getting the base game to introduce to a group of non gamers.  I sleeved the cards in standard thickness sleeves, and was able to improvise 5p games by proxying the cards with slips of paper.  We had less Coppers than usual, and we couldn't play with Curses, but it worked out pretty well.  They at least requested it 2 more times (with one of them introducing it to another person who they thought would like it), and even considered the lower price to be a good thing... cheaper than Ticket To Ride, even though it was $50, a mere $5 more, and has other types of components and a whole board to boot  ???  FWIW, they ended up getting Ticket To Ride instead of this (or if they did get Dom. it was after I left the group, so I wouldn't have known).
Village, +2 Actions.  Village, +3 Actions.  Village, +4 Actions.  Village, +5 Actions.  Village, +6 Actions.  Village, +7 Actions.  Workers Village, +2 Buys, +8 Actions.  End Action Phase.  No Treasures to play.  No buy.  No Night cards to play

Eran of Arcadia

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +514
    • View Profile
Re: Fond Dominion memories?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2017, 09:25:47 am »
+2

My family has long communicated in movie quotes, for some reason. One of our family favorites was "Roxanne."

When I had my dad over once, he tore one of the card sleeves. I told him not to worry, that's why I sleeved the cards; sleeves are cheaper and easier to replace than cards, so sleeving the cards means I could play more games with the cards. In other words, I could earn more sessions by sleeving.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.146 seconds with 20 queries.