Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: Rules mess ups you've seen?  (Read 15573 times)

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10764
    • View Profile
Re: Rules mess ups you've seen?
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2017, 04:25:18 pm »
+4

A couple month ago, in a real-life game, I played Trading Post, and proceeded to trash 2 cards, replacing them with 2 Silvers in my hand. I must have been getting it mixed up with Trade (which ironically I don't think I've ever played with). My opponent didn't catch it either; I suddenly realized it later in the game and let her know what I'd done.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12862
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2017, 04:52:19 pm »
+2

let her know what I'd done.

That sounds pretty dramatic.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2017, 05:02:39 pm »
+3

A couple month ago, in a real-life game, I played Trading Post, and proceeded to trash 2 cards, replacing them with 2 Silvers in my hand. I must have been getting it mixed up with Trade (which ironically I don't think I've ever played with). My opponent didn't catch it either; I suddenly realized it later in the game and let her know what I'd done.

That's when you break down and scream "I'M A FRAUD" and start sobbing and your friend just sits there confused
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

schadd

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: schadd
  • Respect: +1266
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2017, 07:36:27 pm »
+6

Was playing just now against someone who'd misread Forager; he thought it referred to differently named cards, rather than differently named treasures, in the trash.
foragoyf
I thought you thought it was a slip because I said 'Jake's partners' instead of 'Roadrunner7671.'

Skumpy

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: skumpy
  • Respect: +204
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2017, 10:50:29 pm »
+1

let her know what I'd done.

That sounds pretty dramatic.

My 'let em know what I'd done' was when I was forgetting to discard with Plaza. I took a single curse to atone for my sins, which then started to jam my Hunting Parties.
He is (and take this in a positive light Skumpy) eccentric, flamboyant and excessive at times. His posts are ones that cause people to look at him and say "huh?"

Deadlock39

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1758
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2017, 11:52:00 am »
+2

You don't have to discard with plaza. We're you taking tokens without discarding?

Skumpy

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: skumpy
  • Respect: +204
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2017, 11:56:00 am »
+2

You don't have to discard with plaza. We're you taking tokens without discarding?

Yep. It turns out Plaza is actually not a stronger Bazaar. Go figure.
He is (and take this in a positive light Skumpy) eccentric, flamboyant and excessive at times. His posts are ones that cause people to look at him and say "huh?"

McGarnacle

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: McGarnacle
  • So, ya like doughnuts, eh?
  • Respect: +641
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2017, 08:08:13 pm »

Yep. It turns out Plaza is actually not a stronger Bazaar. Go figure.

Those pesky Guilds cards. I remember the first time I played with Candlestick maker, the other player was playing them as if they were also +1 Card.
This is exactly the kind of deep analysis I come to f.ds for. 

Forum Mafia Record
Town 1/2 50%
Scum 0/0

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5156
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2017, 01:46:09 pm »

Playing treasures then playing Watchtower to draw. This happened in a real life tournament. There was no Black Market or Villa. Do not even try to justify this, dude.

Storyteller!
Also, Crown.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

ackmondual

• Witch
  • Respect: +294
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 13, 2017, 02:52:15 am »

Playing treasures then playing Watchtower to draw. This happened in a real life tournament. There was no Black Market or Villa. Do not even try to justify this, dude.
Storyteller!
Also, Crown.
I don't believe this counts, as in that case, you're playing Crown as an action card, not Treasure.
Village, +2 Actions.  Village, +3 Actions.  Village, +4 Actions.  Village, +5 Actions.  Village, +6 Actions.  Village, +7 Actions.  Workers Village, +2 Buys, +8 Actions.  End Action Phase.  No Treasures to play.  No buy.  No Night cards to play

sorawotobu

• Spy
  • Respect: +140
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 13, 2017, 03:47:11 am »
+7

Storyteller!
Also, Crown.
I don't believe this counts, as in that case, you're playing Crown as an action card, not Treasure.

Well you're playing it as an Action-Treasure card, as always. The type doesn't change regardless of timing.

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3458
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 13, 2017, 10:53:34 am »
+1

Storyteller!
Also, Crown.

You are still literally "playing Treasures, then playing Watchtower to draw".

Crown is always an Action - Treasure regardless of when it is played (e.g. it counts for Peddler). It just does a different thing depending on what phase it is played in.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

Willvon

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +169
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 02, 2017, 09:29:49 pm »
+1

I've dealt with most of the things people have mentioned already.

No, you can't shuffle yet.

No, don't discard that yet.

No, seriously, don't discard that yet.

You have to put that into play.

No, into play over there.

YOU CAN'T SHUFFLE YET

Wait, come back, I swear this game is so much fun!

I just read this to my wife and she and I both got a good laugh out of it. It is so true. ;D

crlundy

• Apprentice
  • Shuffle iT Username: crlundy
  • Respect: +324
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 02, 2017, 11:13:55 pm »
+3

Way back when, the first time my friends and I played with Horn of Plenty, we misread it as +$1 per differently named card, not gain a card costing $1 per differently named card. We were big fans of Horn of Plenty for the first couple games until we wondered, hey, how does this thing about trashing itself work...

Most of my friends seem to overlook the discarding with Young Witch. I think they assume the paragraph text is just the Bane stuff.
Another friend felt terrible when he realized he incorrectly top-decked some Treasuries.
I've accidentally trashed some opponents' Silvers after playing Highway and a Knight. (Cost reduction in general is prone to inadvertent rules mess ups.)
I've forgotten to take my player token bonuses when playing a card (only really mattered with +1 Card).
In most of my IRL games, no one else understands lose track rules, so I have prevented some mess ups there.

ackmondual

• Witch
  • Respect: +294
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 02, 2017, 11:21:01 pm »

People discarding Duration cards at the start of their next turn.
I seen one guy exclaim how awesome Duration cards are, how effects spanning past the turn you play them opens up new strategies, and he's excited to try them again!

He gets a lot of them, but keeps forgetting to leave them "durated"!  Me and another player had to keep reminding him, "dude, you're missing out on the best part!"

Storyteller!
Also, Crown.

Well you're playing it as an Action-Treasure card, as always. The type doesn't change regardless of timing.
I stand corrected then!
Village, +2 Actions.  Village, +3 Actions.  Village, +4 Actions.  Village, +5 Actions.  Village, +6 Actions.  Village, +7 Actions.  Workers Village, +2 Buys, +8 Actions.  End Action Phase.  No Treasures to play.  No buy.  No Night cards to play

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4442
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 03, 2017, 10:49:15 am »

People discarding Duration cards at the start of their next turn.
I seen one guy exclaim how awesome Duration cards are, how effects spanning past the turn you play them opens up new strategies, and he's excited to try them again!

He gets a lot of them, but keeps forgetting to leave them "durated"!  Me and another player had to keep reminding him, "dude, you're missing out on the best part!"

Not a rules mess-up, but whenever I play IRL with Scheme I always forget it's there by my cleanup phase, which obviously ruins the whole point.

Holger

• Minion
  • Respect: +465
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 04, 2017, 12:01:13 pm »
+2

A friend of mine played dozens of 2-player games with the 4-player setup (i.e. 12 Provinces, 30 Curses!), and liked it either way.

McGarnacle

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 04, 2017, 06:04:05 pm »

A friend of mine played dozens of 2-player games with the 4-player setup (i.e. 12 Provinces, 30 Curses!), and liked it either way.

I played a pair of games where we realized this mid game. The first time I got screwed out of a win, the second time it was my opponent who got hurt, so we figured it was fair  :).

Forum Mafia Record
Town 1/2 50%
Scum 0/0

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2706
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 04, 2017, 07:26:25 pm »
+6

That reminds me, once, in a three-player game, someone saw the 10 Curses that were set aside to not be used in the game and thought it was his discard pile.  He didn't realize what happened until after the game was over.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

J Reggie

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: J Reggie
  • Respect: +1492
    • View Profile
    • Jeff Rosenthal Music
« Reply #44 on: April 04, 2017, 07:40:25 pm »
+3

That reminds me, once, in a three-player game, someone saw the 10 Curses that were set aside to not be used in the game and thought it was his discard pile.  He didn't realize what happened until after the game was over.

One of my friends was once sent to the hospital after a panic attack that was triggered by another friend accidentally putting a Ruin in her discard pile instead of the trash. True story.

McGarnacle

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 05, 2017, 10:16:22 am »

I've had opponents replace their discard pile with the trash pile.

Forum Mafia Record
Town 1/2 50%
Scum 0/0

McGarnacle

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 05, 2017, 10:17:14 am »
+3

This thread should be renamed "My opponents are scatterbrained morons"

Forum Mafia Record
Town 1/2 50%
Scum 0/0

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 05, 2017, 02:23:17 pm »
+2

I've had opponents replace their discard pile with the trash pile.

Yet another reason why the 2nd edition comes with a mat.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 05, 2017, 02:37:05 pm »

At first I thought the mat was superfluous, seeing how I haw alwast played without it, but after seeing it in action, I do think it's quite a nice addition.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

Tombolo

• Tactician
  • Respect: +450
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 07, 2017, 03:07:28 pm »
+3

I was talking about Dominion and my friend said he didn't like it because it was too easy to just generate an infinite action chain and never end your turn. (he was putting his played actions into his discard pile)
We’ve had a hard day at work, we’ve been looking forward to our Dominion, how can you expect us to play anything else, you ogre.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.062 seconds with 21 queries.