Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program  (Read 18319 times)

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program
« Reply #75 on: April 08, 2017, 01:19:37 am »

...so I have a functional Duna mission that I am delaying just because spaceplanes.

Here are two fun new designs.

The Chickadee (only 5.1t wet):

It's so light that the thrust from the single Panther sent it way higher and faster than any of my other designs, and I could circularize the orbit with just two Sparks. It's completely useless though :p

and the Starling (16.2t wet):

Yep, it's orbiting the Mun. NERVs will do that. Though I would need to tune it quite a bit to make it reliable enough. I only managed to circularize my orbit mere seconds before I started going back into the atmosphere, and it's completely uncontrollable when trying to fly it like a plane rather than like a rocket. The second problem can be solved simply by replacing the delta winglets (only 20% control surface) by canards, and maybe adding some elevons. The first problem is tricker; a better ascent profile or limiting the thrust from the Terriers might do the trick.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 08, 2017, 02:10:00 pm »

Don't wait too long on that Duna mission, remember you only get a good launch window every two game years or so.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 08, 2017, 04:52:37 pm »

I am actually just reverting to launch on all these designs, so no problem there :p

I find that launch windows to Duna or Eve are roughly every half year, or even less (I am on day 169 and I can launch to Duna for 1100 m/s from 75 km orbit of Kerbin, yet that does not appear on the launch window spreadsheet I found). How are you figuring them out?
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 08, 2017, 11:36:26 pm »

I am actually just reverting to launch on all these designs, so no problem there :p

I find that launch windows to Duna or Eve are roughly every half year, or even less (I am on day 169 and I can launch to Duna for 1100 m/s from 75 km orbit of Kerbin, yet that does not appear on the launch window spreadsheet I found). How are you figuring them out?

https://alexmoon.github.io/ksp/

For an optimal transfer your best launch is day 231, though you have a bunch of leeway around that.  But from day 400 to 900, you're not getting there for under 2 km/s.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 23, 2017, 08:42:22 pm »
+1

As promised, the saga of the asteroid that nearly hit Kerbin:

All right.  9000 delta-V to play with, and only need about 450 of it to latch on.  Great!

Asteroid is about 100 km away, no actual visual contact.  But Mun looks pretty.

Look at all those Nervs blasting away to slow us down relative to the asteroid.  So pretty!

Released some of the Nervs and fuel tanks to drop some weight.  Still no visual contact.

Well, that's as relative-stationary as we're going to get.  Time to move toward the still-invisible asteroid.

Wait, what's that readout on the right?  Impact Time: 46 min.  Time to get a move on, then.

Visual contact!

This orbit goes distressingly inside the planet.

All right, this manuever technically doesn't hit Kerbin.  Let's burn it, and shit shit shit asteroids don't turn very well.  It took a crapton of jostling around to get it out of that awful orbit.

No impact time listed.  Woohoo, we're in orbit!

Pure profit, baby.  Except for the 450k the rocket cost.  OK, maybe not "profit" per se.

So if you tilt your view of a giant asteroid just right, you may find out that the skin is barely there, and the COM is just a cube...

But from this vantage, that is one big-ass teroid.

Kerbin is saved!  And we can probably mine this thing too...

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 23, 2017, 09:21:18 pm »

Nice job! When I saw the reward for the contract, I had a feeling you were running a negative profit :p

I got distracted with both real life and Total War : Warhammer (strangely addictive), but I want to get back into this again now.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 24, 2017, 12:18:31 pm »

To be fair, paying $150k for 83 Reputation isn't bad at all.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All

Page created in 0.082 seconds with 21 queries.