Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]  All

Author Topic: Dominion: Antiquity (WIP! Please help!)  (Read 4032 times)

josh56

• Baron
  • Respect: +21
    • View Profile
Re: Dominion: Antiquity (WIP! Please help!)
« Reply #100 on: September 28, 2017, 05:28:38 pm »

I'm testing out the following variant of Digsite:

Digsite - Action + Victory - $8
Reveal the top 5 cards of your deck.
You may trash this. If you do, for each card you revealed...
If it is an Action, Copper, or Silver card, +1VP.
If it is another Treasure card, +2VP.

This gives the player more control over what the card is worth, but makes it a risk-reward choice. Do you buy Province for 6 guaranteed points, or Digsite for maybe $10 -- but not likely.
Yes, I am aware of the insanity of comboing it with Crown.
Seems OK-ish. Even with some Golds or Alt-Treasures in your deck this will on average rarely provide more than 6 or 7 VP.
One problem though is the negative interaction with Victory cards. Now of course you want this before you clog your deck with (unremovable) green anyway but do you really need to make this incentive even stronger? I mean, what's the rationale behind punishing players who still/already have non-Action Victory cards in their deck?

Neirai the Forgiven

• Salvager
  • Respect: +27
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: September 30, 2017, 09:46:15 pm »

There really isn't a rationale per se; it's a lore choice. If I dig up a rare treasure, I'm winning! If I dig up evidence of ancient ways of life (actions), I'm, well actually in reality this would be even more winning, but for the sake of the game, I'm happy, but not as winning. If I dig up land, it's just dirt.

I still have to test this out; I came up with the base mechanic and then polled some friends about how much it should ideally cost -- since its cost is driven by the number of cards it reveals. They wanted to have it compete directly with Province. The idea being that there's a risk-reward payoff -- if you buy Digsite, and another player buys Province, you are in a race to convert your Digsites (at a more lucrative transference than 6 VP, hopefully) before your opponent gets all the Provinces. But nothing stops you from buying Provinces yourself. The major benefit of Digsite would be if you go big money and use this as your main source of VP.

My biggest fear here is that all players go Digsite, then Provinces, and it just makes the game last 2x as long.

Initial test results: Montebanks make Digsites 100% useless. Digsites seem underpowered if there's no other source of trashing.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2017, 11:07:37 am by Neirai the Forgiven »

Neirai the Forgiven

• Salvager
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: October 02, 2017, 09:52:05 am »

I've started branding the cards with a line at the bottom instead of an icon:

Mainly because I'm using VioletCLM's renderer, and because I think it looks good and I'm too lazy to create an image and then manually brand the cards.

Neirai the Forgiven

• Salvager
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 17, 2017, 10:01:42 am »

I'm getting close to finished, and am compiling a list of "recommended sets of 10". Which brings me to the question -- how do you suggest working together a recommended set of 10?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]  All

Page created in 0.065 seconds with 21 queries.