Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Cost reducers and alternate resources  (Read 1927 times)

Doom_Shark

• Tactician
  • Shuffle iT Username: Doom_Shark
  • Respect: +409
    • View Profile
Cost reducers and alternate resources
« on: February 17, 2017, 11:26:16 pm »

I'm pretty sure I know the answer, just bringing this up because there could be other overly logical people here. Cost reducers include a clause stating that cards cannot cost less than zero. However potions and debt are neither more nor less than zero coin. So, by a strict reading of the rules, would it be possible to make, say, transmute cost $-1P?
"I swear to drunk I'm not officer, God."
Generation 33 The first time you see this, copy it, add 1 to the generation number, and add it to your signature. (On any forum) Social experiment.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
Re: Cost reducers and alternate resources
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2017, 11:48:47 pm »

and are neither more nor less than a positive amount of .  They are certainly both more than .  Think of as the origin of a three-dimensional Cartesian graph, with , and along each axis.  Any positive amount in any direction is going to be greater than 0.

Another interpretation is that "not less than " refers only to the -axis, and has no effect on the other two.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 11:49:55 pm by werothegreat »
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2017, 04:12:49 am »
+1

I think a strict reading would allow for that. It would also be the only consistent reading; it is established by other card rules that $3P is neither more nor less than $4, so why should $-1P be more or less than $0?

This could be resolved by saying that card cost in coins can only take natural numbers (yes the natural numbers include 0!) as values, making as "but not less than $0" lines redundant. Then a cost reduction would never lower the cost below $0P, and the rules for what to do when the cost is already $0P would be covered through the "do as much as you can" rule.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2017, 07:03:43 am by faust »
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12849
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2017, 04:42:31 am »
+1

(yes the natural numbers include 0!)

They also include 0.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2017, 07:03:07 am »

They also include 0.
Thanks for making my joke funnier.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12849
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2017, 07:16:03 am »

They also include 0.
Thanks for making my joke funnier.

You're welcome.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2017, 11:35:00 am »

Pretty sure this was discussed once before. The answer is that yes, a literal reading would allow that, but there's times in Dominion where common sense overrides literal readings, and this is one of them. You should read Highway and others as though they said "but not below $0 in coins".
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Doom_Shark

• Tactician
  • Shuffle iT Username: Doom_Shark
  • Respect: +409
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2017, 06:26:04 pm »

Pretty sure this was discussed once before. The answer is that yes, a literal reading would allow that, but there's times in Dominion where common sense overrides literal readings, and this is one of them. You should read Highway and others as though they said "but not below $0 in coins".

I understand this, it was just a "this could be a thing," and was mostly a joke, and let's face it, this is not going to come up very often anyway.
"I swear to drunk I'm not officer, God."
Generation 33 The first time you see this, copy it, add 1 to the generation number, and add it to your signature. (On any forum) Social experiment.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 21 queries.