Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Bandit Fort hates Bandit lol  (Read 2169 times)

Omastar68

• Thief
  • Shuffle iT Username: Omastar68
  • Respect: +43
    • View Profile
Bandit Fort hates Bandit lol
« on: February 17, 2017, 04:15:59 pm »

Just a small question, on your first $5 hand should you get Bandit or Mine on a board w/ Bandit Camp penalizing Silver and Gold? Assuming no other trashing and no other good $5(there was Haggler on this board, but w/e.)

My inclination is Mine. I like both cards but it seems crucial to have some trashing, mainly since later on you'll want to mine S&G into Copper or alt-treasure to reduce how much -VP Bandit Fort gives you. Since Mine seems mandatory on this board at some point I feel somewhat disincentivized(almost a word) to get Bandit, since Gold couldn't be mined into anything higher on this board, and would be a detriment later on. Furthermore there was no +2 action card, and Bandit can kind of help the opponent by trashing obsolete Silvers for BF, or Golds in the end game.

I don't remember anything else to important on this board, and I want this question addressed more in general than for a specific board. That said I do remember CSM was the only buy, though it's kinda weak since there was no real draw. Talisman was there, and also Dominate. I also lost, I got like three Mines and my opponent got just one later, also got a Bandit early.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 06:31:54 pm by Omastar68 »

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
  • Respect: +4085
    • View Profile
Re: Bandit Camp hates Bandit lol
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2017, 04:35:51 pm »
+4

I was so confused by this post until I realised Bandit Camp = Bandit Fort.

So Mine is terrible for BM if I remember correctly. And Copper->Silver is -2 VP just as gaining Gold. So I would assume Bandit is better. The big disadvantage of Bandit is though that it might give your opponent 2VP in the mid to end game. I would probably get Bandit with my first $5 and then Haggler with my second $5 as it gets you a Gold just as Bandit if you buy a Province but also gives . You can also haggle more Hagglers or CSM or whatever. If you use Mine to turn a Silver into a Copper it might give you 2 VP but this probably also means you get probably Duchy instead of Province which is 3VP. And you want to do that only in the end game anyway which means like 1-2 shuffles which means very few plays. In general if it's a BM board with Bandit Fort don't be so scared about Bandit Fort as you need Silvers and Golds anyway to reach $8 just as your opponent.

4est

• Duke
  • Shuffle iT Username: 4est
  • Respect: +1455
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2017, 04:43:06 pm »
+1

Sounds like a pretty terrible board. 

Also, I'm assuming you mean Bandit Fort, not Bandit Camp  :P

I feel like it would sort of depend on what your opponent is doing--Bandit sort of counters Mine in some ways by trashing the Silvers and Golds you Mine into.  Mine is much slower for getting to Gold early on than Bandit, but by late game, Bandit will become more of a liability like you said by adding more Golds (and negative VP from BF) for you and trashing your opponents Silvers and Golds (and thus helping them with BF).  Mine has a little more flexibility in general for gaining and getting rid of your Silvers and Golds, especially with another Kingdom treasure like Talisman, but I think Bandit is probably stronger overall for this game.  Either way, both cards kinda suck on an otherwise BM board with Bandit Fort.  Personally, I might have messed around with Hagglers and Talismans and try to pile the CSMs for a bunch of coin tokens. 

It's funny when the penalizing Landmarks really screw up what would otherwise be a more obvious strategy.  I just played a Tournament board with Wolf Den--every Prize you take is an instant -3VP (and taking Duchy doesn't give you anything either, at least not the first one). 

trivialknot

• Jester
  • Respect: +1171
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2017, 05:19:30 pm »
+2

I'd pile Candlestick Makers, since that appears to be the only way to hit Dominate.  Bandit and Haggler seem bad for this strategy.  Mine and Talisman are good though.

Omastar68

• Thief
  • Shuffle iT Username: Omastar68
  • Respect: +43
    • View Profile
Re: Bandit Fort hates Bandit lol
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2017, 06:38:44 pm »

All good ideas! And idk about the name lol, I changed it. I even called it BF later on so...yea. Dumb.

This wasn't a good board. Piling the CSMs would've been good though, I didn't like them cause there was no draw(like seriously none, I think one card where you might draw, but just 1,) so I only got 1 cause they were the only buy. My opponent got 0 if I recall.

I really like Bandit, seems pretty strong. I'll be less hesitant about it in the future, you definitely do need Gold, even more so on weak boards. Mine would've made more sense near the end, so I could downgrade treasure, but have a more productive start.

Jacob marley

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jacob Marley
  • Respect: +139
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2017, 12:31:11 pm »
+1

Second the statement about not being too afraid of BF.  I played a BF game and build a monster engine, but was too scared to buy Gold and Silver (I think 1 silver), then found that I had no payload, where my opponent bought at least 4 S/G (don't remember exactly), and was double provincing against my single province turns for the win.

ackmondual

• Witch
  • Respect: +294
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2017, 11:12:43 pm »

Second the statement about not being too afraid of BF.  I played a BF game and build a monster engine, but was too scared to buy Gold and Silver (I think 1 silver), then found that I had no payload, where my opponent bought at least 4 S/G (don't remember exactly), and was double provincing against my single province turns for the win.
The heck with Bandit Fort... I've seen this even with Thief.  One 3p game, we were all afraid to buy Silver and Gold that we stagnated.  Someone finally bit the bullet, and even though Silver and Gold were Thieved, it still pushed us forward.

In a 4p game, the guy who complained about losing a lot of Gold was also the guy who won  ::)
Village, +2 Actions.  Village, +3 Actions.  Village, +4 Actions.  Village, +5 Actions.  Village, +6 Actions.  Village, +7 Actions.  Workers Village, +2 Buys, +8 Actions.  End Action Phase.  No Treasures to play.  No buy.  No Night cards to play
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.177 seconds with 20 queries.