Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: How do we like the new version of Dominions n online?  (Read 17390 times)

cactus

• Apprentice
  • Then: longtime lurker. Now: occasional poster.
  • Respect: +348
    • View Profile
How do we like the new version of Dominions n online?
« on: February 17, 2017, 01:07:50 pm »

Hi all. I've been AWL for a while due to work / family commitments. My best mate who is the main person I play Dominion online with had a child recently so he hasn't had much time to play. The work commitments have been my own.  :-\

So question: how overall is everyone feeling about the new version?

I was pretty excited for the new version before it came out. I really couldn't stand the Goko / MF version of Dominion. MF eventually became playable but five years (?) after it was first released it still had a bunch of the problems it had on day one and I was never going to learn to love it.

My first experience of the shuffle IT version was that while it fixed a few outstanding problems with the MF version it was pretty clunky. As I don't really have time to play at the moment I was hoping people could give me a idea of how things have been going in the six weeks since release. Is the shuffle IT version improving? Are we still hopeful that it will go on to become the version of Dominion that Dominion deserves?

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12847
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
Re: How do we like the new version of Dominions n online?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2017, 01:20:02 pm »
+5

It has been improving. Not super fast, but way faster than MF was.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Rabid

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Rabid
  • Respect: +643
    • View Profile
Twitch
1 Day Cup #1:Ednever

mameluke

• Duke
  • Respect: +442
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2017, 03:05:45 pm »
+6

It's still pretty clunky. The implementation of the mats, in-play durations, Attack-Durations, Journey Token, -1 Card/Coin and trash in MF is still a lot better than what Shuffle iT has so far. There's still a lot of awkward clicking underneath the log for ordering effects and otherwise optional things.

They did fix the Name-A-Card issue, so everything is *playable* right now, but a lot of the above really gets in the way of the gameplay -- it's hard to remember if there are any Wine Merchants on the tavern mat unless you're used to checking, and you have to remember things like Haunted Woods, etc since there is no visual reminder if you did or did not block the attack.

Still waiting on Inheritance (and Stash).

All that said, it does not make my computer's fan go like crazy like MF's did. For that and that alone this is a much better implementation already. (also, having Empires and the 2nd Editions at launch is great, but this seems like a pretty low bar considering how old Empires is)

Cave-o-sapien

• Jester
  • Respect: +1675
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2017, 03:10:35 pm »

It's still pretty clunky. The implementation of the mats, in-play durations, Attack-Durations, Journey Token, -1 Card/Coin and trash in MF is still a lot better than what Shuffle iT has so far. There's still a lot of awkward clicking underneath the log for ordering effects and otherwise optional things.

They did fix the Name-A-Card issue, so everything is *playable* right now, but a lot of the above really gets in the way of the gameplay -- it's hard to remember if there are any Wine Merchants on the tavern mat unless you're used to checking, and you have to remember things like Haunted Woods, etc since there is no visual reminder if you did or did not block the attack.

Still waiting on Inheritance (and Stash).

All that said, it does not make my computer's fan go like crazy like MF's did. For that and that alone this is a much better implementation already. (also, having Empires and the 2nd Editions at launch is great, but this seems like a pretty low bar considering how old Empires is)

Pretty good summary of the pros/cons right now as I see it.

The one thing I would add is that there is still no ranking system. For those of us who like that sort of thing, that's a big absence.

Cuzz

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Cuzz
  • Respect: +1018
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2017, 05:02:19 pm »

The one thing I would add is that there is still no ranking system. For those of us who like that sort of thing, that's a big absence.

Yeah that's the biggest bummer for me right now too. I expected that would be implemented by now. I didn't play much on MF and now I have no clue whether I'm any good at Dominion or not.

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2017, 01:36:48 pm »
+3

You are as good as you are

Aleimon Thimble

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Aleimon Thimble
  • Respect: +711
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2017, 04:13:16 pm »

It's still slow as hell, to the point that it's almost unusable. Switching browsers doesn't help. My computer isn't lightning-fast by any means - it's a budget laptop - but it can run old RTS games somewhat smoothly, so I'd figure an in-browser card game should work just fine as well, but it just doesn't. It really destroyed my enjoyment of online Dominion. I still really want MF back.

What annoys me the most is that everyone clapped and cheered when MF lost the rights to Dominion Online, but now we ended up with something that's way worse. Go figure.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2017, 04:15:17 pm by Aleimon Thimble »
[...] The God of heaven has given you Dominion [...] (Daniel 2:37)

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2017, 05:06:42 pm »
+1

I like the new version a lot (haven't had any problems with slowness). It could use to be a little more noob friendly, but as far as I'm concerned the only major thing lacking is Inheritance.

yed

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: yed
  • Respect: +571
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2017, 05:51:32 pm »
+1

but as far as I'm concerned the only major thing lacking is Inheritance.
and leaderboard

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2017, 06:18:54 pm »
+4

It's still slow as hell, to the point that it's almost unusable. Switching browsers doesn't help. My computer isn't lightning-fast by any means - it's a budget laptop - but it can run old RTS games somewhat smoothly, so I'd figure an in-browser card game should work just fine as well, but it just doesn't. It really destroyed my enjoyment of online Dominion. I still really want MF back.

What annoys me the most is that everyone clapped and cheered when MF lost the rights to Dominion Online, but now we ended up with something that's way worse. Go figure.

I have no idea why you're experiencing this. I've run this on everything from budget computers to top of the line ones, even old netbooks with no RAM, and have had none of these issues on any of them. I think the slowness problem is on your end.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

ackmondual

• Witch
  • Respect: +294
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2017, 08:20:36 pm »
+2

Well, the important thing here is Donald X and Rio Grande Games weren't happy with MF, citing issues of hassles and trust that they simply did not want to deal with anymore (or something to that sort... they understandably didn't leave a lot of details).  When the people who have control over the product aren't content, that should be the end of that.

However, from a user perspective, Shuffle iT is also a way to get an offline version vs. AI, and unlike MF who took 5 years to what I'm told wasn't very far, this dev has done more in less time.
Village, +2 Actions.  Village, +3 Actions.  Village, +4 Actions.  Village, +5 Actions.  Village, +6 Actions.  Village, +7 Actions.  Workers Village, +2 Buys, +8 Actions.  End Action Phase.  No Treasures to play.  No buy.  No Night cards to play

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2017, 12:02:51 am »
+3

However, from a user perspective, Shuffle iT is also a way to get an offline version vs. AI

Well, maybe. I mean it's certainly on their list, but I'm not counting my chickens before they hatch. Making an offline version on par with what MF had (with campaigns, several good AIs, etc.) could conceivably be much more work than everything they've done so far put together. So unless they actually hire other people, I'm honestly not expecting an offline version this year.

To be clear, I have no insider info. I'm just a pessimist when it comes to Shuffle iT.

ackmondual

• Witch
  • Respect: +294
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2017, 02:01:58 am »
+1

However, from a user perspective, Shuffle iT is also a way to get an offline version vs. AI

Well, maybe. I mean it's certainly on their list, but I'm not counting my chickens before they hatch. Making an offline version on par with what MF had (with campaigns, several good AIs, etc.) could conceivably be much more work than everything they've done so far put together. So unless they actually hire other people, I'm honestly not expecting an offline version this year.

To be clear, I have no insider info. I'm just a pessimist when it comes to Shuffle iT.

I don't doubt that MF's hearts are in the right place, but I too feel like they've got a lot to take on for a mere 2-person team.  Alas, I don't know if they can hire more people, as some have said, having anything more than a 2-person dev. team goes up exponentially.

As for MF's version, I do recall they had AI opponents and campaigns, but was it ever available OFF line?  I still recall the complaints that folks downloaded the game onto their iPads, got onto a plane, and then were disappointed to find out that they did need a constant internet connection to play the game.
Village, +2 Actions.  Village, +3 Actions.  Village, +4 Actions.  Village, +5 Actions.  Village, +6 Actions.  Village, +7 Actions.  Workers Village, +2 Buys, +8 Actions.  End Action Phase.  No Treasures to play.  No buy.  No Night cards to play

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2017, 09:12:54 am »
+1

Neither Goko nor MF ever had an offline version available. That product has not yet existed in any official form.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

Dingan

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Dingan
  • Respect: +1728
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2017, 02:01:09 am »
+1

Not sure when it was deployed but for some reason I LOVE the little snippets that play when you win or lose a match.  And this is coming from someone who has muted all music / sound effects since day 1.  I don't know what it is, I just crack up every time they come on.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2017, 10:14:20 am »

Not sure when it was deployed but for some reason I LOVE the little snippets that play when you win or lose a match.  And this is coming from someone who has muted all music / sound effects since day 1.  I don't know what it is, I just crack up every time they come on.

I'm indifferent to it; though I don't particularly like it when I'm multi-resigning against the bot to get a fun Kingdom.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2017, 10:29:39 am »
+1

For me it is fast, like way faster than Goko/MF ever was (I always had lag there).  Never had crashes, never had disconnects.  Interface is smooth and easy.  Things* just work.

*There are some bugs with certain cards, and the outstanding Inheritance and Stash implementation.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2017, 10:37:26 am »

Meh.  They're okay.  I decided to make my own:
https://soundcloud.com/werothegreat/victory
https://soundcloud.com/werothegreat/defeatsound
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2017, 09:31:03 pm »

It's decently close to isotropic quality already.  Mats are an issue.  Getting matched up for a game super fast is nice, and it seems like I'm getting worthy opponents more or less.  On Goko I had to wait longer to get an opponent whose skill level never seemed to be correlated with mine in the slightest.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2017, 09:32:57 pm »

It's decently close to isotropic quality already.  Mats are an issue.  Getting matched up for a game super fast is nice, and it seems like I'm getting worthy opponents more or less.  On Goko I had to wait longer to get an opponent whose skill level never seemed to be correlated with mine in the slightest.

What's wrong with mats?
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2017, 09:44:00 pm »

What's wrong with mats?
Mouseover is not a great way to view them.  It was a freudian slip though, they share an observation method with Durations, and Durations are the greater issue.

assemble_me

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: assemble me
  • Dominion stream/yt junkie
  • Respect: +807
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2017, 04:29:40 am »
+4

I couldn't disagree more. MF was unplayable on my old notebook with strange crashes happening. The new client runs super smooth in my browser. My leg isn't burning any more if I play with my notebook on my legs because my CPU is not at 100% (while playing a stupid card game) at all time any more. The new main features like reconnect and undo are just great compared to MF.
Join the f.ds Dominion league | My Twitch channel

... and none of his posts shall remain unedited

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2017, 04:32:10 am »
+6

(while playing a stupid card game)

Why would you also play a stupid card game while you're playing Dominion?

Aleimon Thimble

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Aleimon Thimble
  • Respect: +711
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2017, 06:55:03 am »

I couldn't disagree more. MF was unplayable on my old notebook with strange crashes happening. The new client runs super smooth in my browser. My leg isn't burning any more if I play with my notebook on my legs because my CPU is not at 100% (while playing a stupid card game) at all time any more. The new main features like reconnect and undo are just great compared to MF.

It's not about disagreeing, I'd say. Apparently, both MF and ShIT have (had) some issues running smoothly on various PCs. I never had a lot of issues with MF.

I guess I'm just unlucky or something.
[...] The God of heaven has given you Dominion [...] (Daniel 2:37)
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.081 seconds with 21 queries.