Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: What Questions Do You Ask Yourself To Analyze a Board?  (Read 1503 times)

nastley3

• Pawn
  • Respect: +2
    • View Profile
What Questions Do You Ask Yourself To Analyze a Board?
« on: February 16, 2017, 02:08:29 pm »
+2

Hello All, I'm new to the forum. I want to find out what questions you ask yourself to come up with your strategy for a given board. I am also very interested in the order of the questions, so please number them instead of just listing them. I do not believe it is possible to have an exhaustive list, but I would like to see what you all can come up with!

My list goes like this:

1) Are there are any cards that allow for multiple terminals to be played in the same turn? (Villages, but also cards like Throne Room)
2) What are the trashers?
3) What are the Alt VP?
4) What are the attacks?
5) What are the + Buys?
6) What are the Gainers?

Then there are a few other questions that I am not sure where they should go (from an order standpoint)
- What are the Specific card combos / cards that go together well?
- Will this be a slow/medium/long game?
- What are ways to end the game quickly once ahead?

Here is the logic behind why I ordered the 6 numbered questions in the order above:
A lack of villages means I need to be very careful of not buying too many terminals, and so that is what i look for first. I put trashing as #2 because I have trouble creating engines without strong trashing (I might be in the over-trashing stage of the game :D ). Depending on the answer of those first two questions, I then look for other options such as Alt VP, Gardens rush etc. I have found that in general Attacks are more important than either +buys or gainers so I put it 4th, and then I put +buy slightly ahead of gainers because sometimes I see engines get overbuilt but without a +buy to take advantage of it.

Thanks!

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3458
    • View Profile
Re: What Questions Do You Ask Yourself To Analyze a Board?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2017, 02:24:57 pm »
+12

In order:
1. Is there +Buy, or a way to gain multiple cards per turn?

This more than any other narrows the scope of strategies doable on the board. If the answer is "no", the case for building an engine gets much narrower, and the possibilities to come back if you are not the first to be ready to green are highly limited. If "yes", you still have to do a lot.

Multiple cards per turn without true +Buy can speed up the engine build enough to be competitive with strong BM even if you're limited to 1 Province a turn, depending on the board.

2. What is the potential payload of this board?

Payload in a broad sense being the payoff for your engine; anything from victory points to attacks to attack resilience. A payload of "double Province every turn" is sometimes enough (see above question), depends on anything else. Is the payload terminal?

3. Thinning and draw

You *have* to look at these basically simultaneously, as the availability of one dictates the necessary amount you need of the other. Which of these are terminal?

4. Village / splitter support

How many terminals can you reliably play a turn, given the above constraints? Lots of people like to start with this, but the answer to this questio varies a lot with the above information. How many terminal slots can be reserved for payload vs what's needed for draw?

5. Clocking the BM / rush / etc strategy

How fast can the BM get to a game end condition, or an effective game end condition? Is t vulnerable to things the engine can do? Can it sustain through greening? How does it compare to the engine above? Usually this is a quick thing, but whenever there's a strong enhancer on the table you do have to ask this question. You also have to ask yourself if you are a capable enough player to complete the engine properly, and how sensitive it is to mistakes on your part. It's not picking the best strategy, it's picking the strategy you can execute to the greatest effect.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9412
    • View Profile
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2017, 03:54:03 pm »

1. Are there any combos?
2. Are there any engines?
3. Are there any rushes?
4. Are there any slogs?
5. What's the best big money?
6. Which of these is the best?
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Rabid

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Rabid
  • Respect: +643
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2017, 08:18:22 am »

Your list is good, but is missing +cards.
Twitch
1 Day Cup #1:Ednever

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2017, 08:44:26 pm »
+9

Sometimes I'll realize just how many games I've played and ask, "what have I done?"
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 20 queries.