Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Escape the Room  (Read 3458 times)

pingpongsam

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: pingpongsam
  • Respect: +777
    • View Profile
Escape the Room
« on: February 12, 2017, 12:50:42 pm »
+1

The live action game. These seem to be really catching on in my area. We finally played one last night. It was way more fun than I anticipated. Ours involved crawling through tunnels and a free roaming zombie that if you were touched by it you were out of the game.

We got out in 53 minutes and all 6 of us survived. It was super intense at the end evading the zombie. I definitely tended to over complicate the puzzles.

10/10 would do again. The local place is on their 3rd scenario and reworks the room and puzzles every 3 months or so.
You are the brashest scum player on f.ds.

gkrieg13

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: gkrieg
  • Respect: +463
    • View Profile
Re: Escape the Room
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2017, 03:39:21 pm »

The live action game. These seem to be really catching on in my area. We finally played one last night. It was way more fun than I anticipated. Ours involved crawling through tunnels and a free roaming zombie that if you were touched by it you were out of the game.

We got out in 53 minutes and all 6 of us survived. It was super intense at the end evading the zombie. I definitely tended to over complicate the puzzles.

10/10 would do again. The local place is on their 3rd scenario and reworks the room and puzzles every 3 months or so.

We've done quite a few of the ones in my area. None of them are zombie themed and I have liked the ones the most that have some dexterity challenges in them as well as the mental puzzles

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3347
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2017, 05:46:21 pm »

I did one near where I live. It was a purely puzzle based one about stealing a rich guy's diamond from his private museum. My team apparently set the record for it, escaping with 17:10 left on the clock - although the room had only been open for about half a year.

It was a great experience. We all enjoyed it, especially due to the host being very charismatic and thematic, while knowing his audience well. I want to try a few more of them at some point.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

pingpongsam

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2017, 05:57:14 pm »

I was overly impressed with the game design. We brought a crowd of 6. They set the mood straight off by being in costume and character from the very beginning.

They took 2 of our crowd in first and they had a whole separate experience where they were handcuffed together and to a chain link fence with the zombie right outside where they could see it. The rest of us were in a more or less traditional escape room that eventually led to where the others were. In about the time it took us to get to them they had freed themselves.

There was a creepy soundtrack, a constantly screeching and banging zombie, and no overhead lights. The only lighting were a couple LED candles we had to find and the occasional flexible glow stick attached to keys. The handcuffed guys were in pitch black until they met up with the rest of us at about 20 Minutes in.

I think I would excel at the traditional Japanese style of escape room whereas this format really amped up the heart rate (they had the heat at 76F to contribute to this effect) and everyone reported losing thinking faculty at different points due to the set and setting.

pingpongsam

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2017, 06:00:54 pm »

As for dexterity, we had a magnetic puzzle that required you to manipulate wooden maze pieces to navigate a magnet out from under the clear plastic cover. The magnetic had a combination on the underside of it. Of course the magnet to operate the puzzle was in a lockbox itself. The final exit key was on a ring attached to a post in a rather large and arduous maze. The post had to be worked around to a place where it could be extracted all the while a free roaming zombie is after you. The zombie isn't slow and shuffling either, it's a fast running, dexterous human being.

Skumpy

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: skumpy
  • Respect: +204
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2017, 01:20:59 am »

Just did one for my first time - highly recommend them to everybody here. Based on general escape room reviews, I think ours was on the cheaper and more poorly produced end of the spectrum, but if that was one of the worse ones out there, that bodes very well for me doing and enjoying more in the future.

We made it out with 12 minutes to spare after using 2 of 3 hints, which apparently is excellent even though I felt like we (and mostly me) were garbage, though I made my key contributions here and there. Definitely would love to do more.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 03:09:37 pm by Skumpy »
He is (and take this in a positive light Skumpy) eccentric, flamboyant and excessive at times. His posts are ones that cause people to look at him and say "huh?"

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2017, 08:37:07 pm »

I did a non-professional one of these at BGG.con a couple years ago. I didn't have that much fun mostly due to the fact that it was an 8 person group; and the room was designed to need 8 people all working on different things; individually or in subgroups; at the same time. So one person would solve a puzzle while I was doing something else; and I would have no idea what the puzzle was. By the end, I'd spent most of the time working on one thing that turned out to be a red herring, while the rest of the group dealt with all sorts of clues that I never even got to see.

I think I would have liked it if it was designed for a group of 2-4 people all working together on each thing st the same time. You know. Like T.I.M.E. Stories.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 08:38:47 pm by GendoIkari »
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2017, 11:00:24 am »

I did one in NYC that had a cool theme.  It was a dungeon, and we were all monks or something, with robes and hoods.  We all started with the hoods over our eyes (so we couldn't see anything) and trapped (one chained up with one of those boards over the neck and arms, and the others in locked cells).  It was set up like an old torture dungeon.  The entire thing was dark but there were a number of small (electrical) candles you could find.  You had to search around for the clues to unlock each door.

We had four people (I think it could have fit five) and ended up making it out with about five minutes to spare.

Edit: To clarify, there were a number of rooms you had to go through, so it wasn't just getting out of the cells and chains.  Once we were all free, then we had to go and find the clues to unlock the first door, which led to another room, which you had to solve, and so on.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 11:02:23 am by Witherweaver »

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
  • Respect: +932
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2019, 12:39:10 pm »

I work for an escape room company doing marketing! Tomorrow's actually my last day. But anyway, I'm an enthusiast. I've done 19 rooms, mostly around Oklahoma where I live. It's not a cheap hobby, and you gotta get friends to do it, but I love it. My favorite rooms are immersive, have good stories, and obviously clever puzzles are a must. Once you've played a lot of rooms (and worked in the industry), you start to see a lot of common puzzles and design elements, but the industry is still young and lots of rooms still manage to surprise me.

If you haven't tried an in-person escape room, it's a really fun experience for most tabletop gamers!
"Quiet you, you'll lynch Dsell when I'm good and ready" - Insomniac

Winner of Forum Survivor Season 2!

hhelibebcnofnena

• Minion
  • she/her
  • Respect: +409
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2019, 11:24:01 am »

Is it a win if time runs out after you solve the final puzzle and get the key, but before you actually use it to unlock the door? If the theme is a submarine running out of oxygen, is the qualification based on whether you can hold your breath for the extra three to five seconds?

If that counts as a successful escape, then I have escaped from 3 and failed 2. If it counts as a fail, I have failed 3 and escaped from 2. I personally count it as a successful escape, because there were no more puzzles to solve, and we could all hold our breath for 3 to 5 seconds.
Hydrogen Helium Lithium Beryllium Boron Carbon Nitrogen Oxygen Fluorine Neon Sodium

pingpongsam

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2019, 12:32:37 pm »

Holding your breath is functionally dependent on the oxygen content of the surrounding air. Presumably the timer indicates when the oxygen depletes to the point of not sustaining consciousness. I think you have a win if the timer was when poison gas released or something but holding a lung full of oxygen depleted air is not going to buy you time. It’s a tough call.

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3347
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2019, 05:36:42 pm »

I had a weird one I did which, after we solved the final puzzle and "won" the room, there was a final "oops, I triggered the poisonous gas, you have 30 seconds to find the code to escape" puzzle. Turned out the answer was just in the video with the countdown timer, but none of us were watching that - because we were trying to look at the one thing in the room, by the door, that hadn't been used for anything else (which was just for flavour it turned out).

It counted as a win for the room, according to the host, but we all died. So kind of a half win?
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.086 seconds with 21 queries.