Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Challenge: write a Moat article  (Read 9062 times)

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
Challenge: write a Moat article
« on: February 09, 2017, 11:05:02 am »
+1

So the Pearl Diver article challenge was pretty productive!  I figured I'd start up a new one - write an article about Moat!  What strategic depths can you plumb with this simple Base set card?
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

ehunt

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ehunt
  • Respect: +1855
    • View Profile
Re: Challenge: write a Moat article
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2017, 11:42:00 am »
+4

i guess the biggest thing is that dry +2 cards is way better than it was back when the Base set was released.

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2017, 11:46:59 am »

I think it would be a challenge to write a moat article. The card is simple but the strategy surrounding it can be quite complex. It is much more sensitive to its environment than most cards.

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2017, 12:44:41 pm »
+8

Some thoughts on Moat.

1. Moat is an engine card
This is important to remember. Moat will hardly ever be any good outside of engines. There will virtually always be something better than Moat-BM. Other deck types have even less use for it. Don't just buy Moat in a non-engine deck because you want to block attacks; in almost all cases, it will be better to just get the attack yourself instead.

Thus, Moat is only ever worth getting with a splitter around. Other cards that help Moat are trashing and an +buy. There are board where the engine is only possible because of Moat; in that case, you of course need to get it (unless you can do something better). The more intestesting question is: Do you want to add Moat to an engine that could also be built without it?

2. When to defend from attacks
The key utility of Moat is of course its reaction. But getting attacked does not automatically mean you need Moat.

Junking - here, you should probably have a way to trash junk if you want to build an engine. And usually, the better way to defend yourself is to get more trashing. Or, you know, junk back. Moat versus junking mostly won't work out, unless you can set yourself up a thin deck really quickly but the opportunity cost of trashing more is high (e.g. with Donate).

Discarding - It's still probably not great. Moat is one card in your hand that could be something better, so you've discard-attacked yourself a bit. A better way to defend against e.g. Militia is to build more so that you can get going from a 3-card hand. But some attacks are really nasty and it's worth blocking them; Ghost Ship and Legionary deserve a mention here.

Trashing - Probably the nastiest attack type for engines. If you expect to get hit by trashing regularly, Moat can really help you out. Additional benefit is that as a $2, Moat itself is mostly immune to these attacks, and helps you neutralize them even when it's not in your hand. This is a case where you really might consider using Moat instead of some stronger draw.

In general, the more (stacking) attacks your opponent plays this turn, the better you Moat gets. Trashing is particularly important to prevent. Moat of course also benefits from cards that can make sure it's in your hand every turn (Scheme, Harbinger etc.)

3. Moat is cheap draw

Sometimes it's really all you need. This is true whenever there's an overabundance of +action. Like all terminal draw, Moat can be a great Lost Arts target. Champion + Moat seems redundant, but it's actually quite decent. With enough Villages, two Moats for $4 and two buys might even be better than a Smithy.

This sounds nice, but the reality is that Moat is one of the worse ways to add drawing power to your engine. If there is another way, and it's not something outlandish like Beggar/Spice Merchant, you're usually better off going for that.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2017, 01:53:57 pm »

In general, the more (stacking) attacks your opponent plays this turn, the better you Moat gets.

I think Torturer stacks in particular might deserve a mention here, or maybe Warrior.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: irrationalE
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2017, 05:08:02 pm »

In general, the more (stacking) attacks your opponent plays this turn, the better you Moat gets.

I think Torturer stacks in particular might deserve a mention here, or maybe Warrior.

If your opponent is able to build a big warrior stack before you are able to get a champion up and running you have probably lost the game at that point
Man. I had four strips of bacon yesterday. Was one automatically undercooked, one automatically overcooked? No, let's put a stop to that right here, all four strips were excellent.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2017, 05:29:20 pm »
+1

If your opponent is able to build a big warrior stack before you are able to get a champion up and running you have probably lost the game at that point

Right, that's right, Champion exists, never mind

Omastar68

• Thief
  • Shuffle iT Username: Omastar68
  • Respect: +43
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2017, 05:33:07 pm »

I used to like Moat a lot, but I've since learned why it is regarded as such a weak card, even if it is only $2.

Too many Moats makes you accomplish nothing, better to attack too then rely on Moats to make sure you never get any Curses(for instance.) Moat might be a good buy on a 5/2 opening, but even there it might be worth it to get nothing on 2(or pay coin token if Baker is around. I'd also be very cautious about buying Moat on 2 if there are any other cards or events that could be bought instead. If you have Hovel, it may be worth it to get an Estate, especially w/ Inheritance around. Baths incentivize getting nothing.)

Moat is a good target for TFB, you'd want to get rid of Estates first ofc, but it's likely a better choice for, say, a Remodel target than a Copper.

All cheap cards like buys, and Moat also really likes Expedition and Save. Gear is also a 2 card draw, but setting Mot aside canbe really valuable on some boards.

I'm missing lots, but hopefully that's somewhat helpful:)

trivialknot

• Jester
  • Respect: +1171
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2017, 05:59:07 pm »
+5

A decent article on Moat should talk about how it scales with the number of players.  After all, the easiest way to stack attacks is by being multiple people.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2017, 06:06:17 pm »
+5

Pretend I've put a bunch of what looks like an article here, completely spoilered, with just the word Moat halfway through.  Actually doing it would be all but impossible on mobile.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

aku_chi

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: aku chi
  • Respect: +1435
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2017, 06:20:06 pm »
+1

Some other Moat synergies that might be worth mentioning:

As reaction
Save (really easy to have continual protection from attacks)
Secret Passage
And note that Haven and Gear don't work the way you'd want.

As draw
Throne Room (and variants)

Edit: And I agree that Torturer deserves a mention.  Using Moat to stop a string of Torturers is huge.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2017, 06:24:41 pm by aku_chi »

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2017, 06:25:14 pm »

Might also be valuable to compare Moat to the other defensive cards - most specifically Lighthouse and Champion, and to a lesser extent Watchtower, Horse Traders, Beggar, Diplomat, Caravan Guard, Trader.

Deadlock39

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1757
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2017, 10:56:32 pm »
+3

Moat gets a lot better with more players, but we don't talk about those types of games much here.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2017, 04:47:40 am »

The first rule of multiplayer games is: you don't talk about multiplayer games.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5459
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2017, 08:24:32 am »
+1

Filling your deck with cantrips will dilute your Moats making it harder to defend with them.
Well you *do* need a signature...

SettingFraming

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: breppert
  • Respect: +348
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2017, 12:10:29 pm »

My favorite use of Moat is on engines boards where all the pieces are there, but there's a junker and limited thinning (such as copper-only thinning, as if there's no thinning at all you're probably just lost). If you can gain cheap cards easily, such as Villages and Moat's, it can be correct to flood your deck with them and win the junking war and the game.
There are no masters, only those who have spent longer in the depths.

gamesou

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +337
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2017, 02:13:09 pm »
+3

Moat can be a key card in Governor+discard attack games.
Designer of Chronos Conquest

xyz123

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +511
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2017, 02:48:00 pm »

A few points I think are worth noting.

Against junking attacks Moat often isn't a defence in itself. Sooner or later your opponent is going play their attack when you don't have your Moat in hand. You need to be doing something else with the curses or ruins, whether that be trashing them or playing your own attack to stick them in your opponent's deck.

I have noticed that new players have a tendency to overbuy Moat thinking that if you have lots of them there is more chance of one being in their hand when someone plays an attack. This often results in terminal collision.

Save has already been mentioned but there are other ways of ensuring you have a Moat in hand each turn, Scheme for example. If you can draw your deck, cards that allow you to put a card on top of your deck can also keep your Moat perpetually in your hand.

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5459
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2017, 07:46:04 pm »

Against junking attacks Moat often isn't a defence in itself. Sooner or later your opponent is going play their attack when you don't have your Moat in hand.

You might not be able to block all of the curses, but so long as your opponents put more curses into their decks than yours you've come out ahead.
Well you *do* need a signature...

luser

• Tactician
  • Respect: +352
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2017, 07:37:50 am »

When you mentioned champion moat becomes much better card on boards with champion.

Champion's part about protecting vs attack doesn't protect you much. Curser gives you five curses before you could get champion, knights will half of time trash your hero/champion before you could play it. It only helps vs warrior as hero is immune to it and discard attacks.

Now in junker/trasher case if you picked moats while evolving champion you would get decent protection and would have lot of laboratories once champion becomes online.

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2854
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2017, 01:11:40 am »

I'm with DG here, it's hard to give general advice about Moat.

• Terminal +2 Cards is really not a good card. When there's no other draw, sometimes it's good enough, but it usually isn't.
  • Because it's terminal, your deck can't support too many of them, even if there are +Actions cards in the kingdom, because there's almost always something better to do with those actions. Like Attacks, for example.

So, most of the time, buying Moat is crippling your deck. It's only worth buying when the chance you block the attack make the cost worth it, and that's what makes it so board dependent. The other reactions get incidental synergies. Lighthouse works well with Minion and Library. Horse Traders is good for slogs. Diplomat is good when you have discard-for-benefit cards, and Watchtower can fuel a draw-to-X engine. Moat is just, like, 2 Cards.

The best advice I can give on Moat is to imagine how bad it is if an attack goes through, and then pick up Moats until their protection isn't worth the cost. Which isn't very helpful, really.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

majiponi

• Jester
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2017, 07:50:27 am »
+1

Scheme, Secret Passage, Courtyard, Mandarin, Count, Artisan, etc.

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2017, 09:10:56 am »
+1

I'll write something soon, but here's the basic outline:

- Moat does two things: Draws cards and blocks attacks
- Why it kinda sucks at drawing cards
- Why it kinda sucks at blocking attacks
- When is it particularly okay at drawing cards
- When is it particularly okay at blocking attacks
- Better responses to most attack cards (bonus!)
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

majiponi

• Jester
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2017, 08:15:18 am »
+2

I'll write something soon, but here's the basic outline:

- Moat does two things: Draws cards and blocks attacks
- Why it kinda sucks at drawing cards
- Why it kinda sucks at blocking attacks
- When is it particularly okay at drawing cards
- When is it particularly okay at blocking attacks
- Better responses to most attack cards (bonus!)
Another: Cheap Action - Feed it to Death Cart, Advance!

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5344
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2017, 01:28:06 pm »
+4

Several people here act as if multiplayer wasn't even a thing. This really distorts the judgement on a lot of cards imo. People are told "Pirate Ship and Moat suck" and "Fool's Gold rulez!" when both of these statements become increasingly untrue with more players. It's not like nobody ever plays multiplayer. Even Donald X states that he prefers 3P over 2P.

Somebody should really do a "changes with player count" article. You know, about the times when "winning the split" means you got 3 of something instead of 2...
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.056 seconds with 20 queries.