Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 45  All

Author Topic: Neat card interactions that were useful in the game you found them in.  (Read 262282 times)

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Commodore Chuckles
  • Respect: +1971
    • View Profile
Re: Neat card interactions that were useful in the game you found them in.
« Reply #875 on: February 11, 2021, 05:29:54 pm »
+2

In games with Night cards, Capitalism + Kiln can easily gain copies of your Night cards, since you can simply choose to play Kiln as your last Treasure

Even without Nights, Capitalism is killer with Kiln.

Not sure why mxdata emphasised Night cards, as you normally would not spam Night cards.

Den of Sin? Ghost Town?

ipofanes

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: ipofanes
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
« Reply #876 on: March 21, 2021, 12:28:29 pm »

Spice Merchant, Treasurer, Guildhall, Sewers.

My opponent went Familiar and I figured I could weather a curse onslaught. In all but one turn, I had Spice Merchant and Treasurer, or drew Treasurer with Spice Merchant. With one Gold as the only extra coin, I drew copper from the trash, gaining a Coffer, and use the total of 8$ for a Province, next turn feed copper to Merchant and flush a Curse down the sewer. Only one draw with a dud (Curse Province Province Province Province).
« Last Edit: March 21, 2021, 01:55:51 pm by ipofanes »
Lord Rattington denies my undo requests

mxdata

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1335
    • View Profile
« Reply #877 on: March 21, 2021, 09:47:34 pm »

Just had a fun game with Bridge + Prince + Citadel.  I'd previously bought Citadel and then Princed Bridge.  For the rest of the game cards I started each turn with +$2 +2 buys and cards $2 cheaper.  Also fun was that Duplicate was in the game, and with the Princed Bridge bringing Province to $6 (or even less in turns where I played another Bridge), I could Duplicate Provinces!  I failed to notice that possiblity, though, so I only ended up with one Duplicate.  Still, once I had that Princed Bridge, I was picking up Provinces pretty fast
They/them

mxdata

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #878 on: March 27, 2021, 09:04:16 pm »
+3

Rats + Way of the Horse is a really good combo.  You can trash away all your junk, then return the Rats to the Supply.  No need to worry about Rats taking over your deck!  And it's a non-terminal Way, too, so you never have to worry about not having enough Actions
They/them

ipofanes

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: ipofanes
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
« Reply #879 on: April 07, 2021, 01:37:41 am »
+4

Journeyman ,/, Village Green
Lord Rattington denies my undo requests

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4434
    • View Profile
« Reply #880 on: April 10, 2021, 03:21:25 am »
+2

Captain/Ranger! End your turn with a Captain playing Ranger for +0 cards to begin your next turn with Captain playing Ranger for +5 cards.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2021, 01:52:16 pm by AJD »

mandioca15

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +237
    • View Profile
« Reply #881 on: April 24, 2021, 08:50:28 am »
+2

Priest/Counterfeit. Particularly nice if you have multiple Counterfeits in hand...

In one game, I had Hovel in hand as well, so with $11 and 2 buys, bought a Province, trashed my Hovel, and bought a Duchy thanks to the extra $2 that Priest gave me from trashing the Hovel.

pubby

• Minion
  • Respect: +1046
    • View Profile
« Reply #882 on: April 26, 2021, 12:51:07 am »
+3

Small Castle + Necromancer was cute

pubby

• Minion
  • Respect: +1046
    • View Profile
+5

Possession + Way of the Butterfly was not cute.
(You return opponent's cards to supply gain cards for yourself)

Honkeyfresh

• Minion
  • DSF lowest ratio upvotes-posts 14 yrs & counting
  • Respect: +228
    • View Profile

Just played 2 crazy combos that resulted in quasi-sieze the days every other hand.

supplies/outpost.  with any trashing or exiling avail (here sanctuary) you get to a point where you are drawing 10-16 coins, 3-4 supplies leading to an entire nother hand with 6-8 cards generally.  I had 2 B2B turns this way where i hit 16.  Tough to win when your opponent pops 4 provinces on their turn.

cursed village and cavalry.  especially helped in my game by way of the sheep and festival.

play all your coins.  buy cavalry until u get a cursed village.  draw entire hand again.  bonus that CV gives action so u can burn all cards in this game with way of the sheep before you pull another cursed village or cavalry again.

« Last Edit: May 03, 2021, 04:03:03 am by Honkeyfresh »
"Rap game Julio Franco, Chuck Norris, Texas Ranger/ Ice on my fingers look like I slap-boxed a penguin." -- Riff Raff Proverbs 4:20

"Sometimes I say some things people may think are just outlandish, but I'm going to have the last laugh." -- Riff Raff  Exodus 6:66

Honkeyfresh

• Minion
    • View Profile

pretty nasty actually
"Rap game Julio Franco, Chuck Norris, Texas Ranger/ Ice on my fingers look like I slap-boxed a penguin." -- Riff Raff Proverbs 4:20

"Sometimes I say some things people may think are just outlandish, but I'm going to have the last laugh." -- Riff Raff  Exodus 6:66

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3188
    • View Profile
+2

Tactician + way of the animal that draws 2 cards + KC gives a guaranteed double tactician and it's actually easy to pull of and really strong

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile

Tactician + way of the animal that draws 2 cards + KC gives a guaranteed double tactician and it's actually easy to pull of and really strong
Same for Way of the animal that's a cantrip too!
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3188
    • View Profile

That's really intelligent! (get it?)

mxdata

• Saboteur
    • View Profile

pretty nasty actually

Procession + anything that can get cards out of your deck without trashing is pretty bad.  Masquerade and Ambassador, especially in 2-player, can be pretty brutal.  "Alright, let me just go ahead and Ambassador 2 Colonies here ...".  But at least with those you can protect yourself by just not buying those cards.  Nothing you can do to prevent a Way from being used ...
« Last Edit: May 08, 2021, 05:40:33 pm by mxdata »
They/them

Wizard_Amul

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +216
    • View Profile
+1

pretty nasty actually

Procession + anything that can get cards out of your deck without trashing is pretty bad.  Masquerade and Ambassador, especially in 2-player, can be pretty brutal.  "Alright, let me just go ahead and Ambassador 2 Colonies here ...".  But at least with those you can protect yourself by just not buying those cards.  Nothing you can do to prevent a Way from being used ...

Actually, you can't always protect yourself from Ambassador or Masquerade. The Possession player can buy multiple copies of Masquerade and/or Ambassador and pass them to the other player during a normal turn--if the Possession player can then play Possession on the same turn, the other player has no time to get rid of the cards that were just passed to them.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
+1

pretty nasty actually

Actually, you can't always protect yourself from Ambassador or Masquerade. The Possession player can buy multiple copies of Masquerade and/or Ambassador and pass them to the other player during a normal turn--if the Possession player can then play Possession on the same turn, the other player has no time to get rid of the cards that were just passed to them.

If the Possession player buys Masquerade or Ambassador then it just allows their opponent to buy Possession and do the same thing first; it's super risky...
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

jomini

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +766
    • View Profile

Also works with a +1 card token on Tac so he can trigger off a Throne. Rc/card tokened Tac can let you play Tac unlimited numbers of times.

I am less convinced that Kc/Ways of Tac is all that useful. After all, Kc/Smithy gives you one fewer card of draw without the penalty of tossing your entire current hand or having to wait until next turn. Kc/+2 cards is actually very easy for drawing deck most of the time.

Maybe +$ actions are cheap. Maybe Tac is the only +buy. But it seems like the majority of Kc/Tac/drawing Way boards would be far better setup for just using Kc to play through.

I would be more inclined to do this with draw to 6 or discard & draw 3. Being able to draw after discarding can let you use treasures and lots of other good stuff while also starting out with a large hand.

jomini

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +766
    • View Profile

pretty nasty actually

If the Possession player buys Masquerade or Ambassador then it just allows their opponent to buy Possession and do the same thing first; it's super risky...

The "safest" option is to gain two of the cards during your turn, hand one over, and then Possess.

The other option is to just build up huge numbers of Possessions, wait until the other guy Greens out and then send over the cards. Even if they hit you, you at most lose a Possession per turn and even that is unlikely to be all that harsh if they have substantial green in deck (particularly if your deck cannot hit $8).

If both players never green, you can burn down the entire Possession pile and stare at each other until, maybe, someone three piles.

I never understood why we did Possession. It is a wildly fiddly card, it is extremely high variance, and it leads to a lot of unfortunate mixed equilibria where the "correct" response is either a never ending game or where you end up playing a highly glorified rock-paper-scissors match. At this point we should really just errata it into something that is such a giant noob-trap and strategy killing blackhole.

mxdata

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
+3

Villa + Way of the Butterfly = All $5 cards now cost $4, and $3 Action cards can be auto-remodeled to $5 cards
They/them

xyz123

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +511
    • View Profile
+2

A nice 3 way interaction I just had in a game.

Captialism + Farmer's Market + Treasurer

If you have bought Capitalism, when a Farmer's Market has cycled round to the point where it is trashed, you gain it back (and can play it again) using a Treasurer with the added bonus of not using up any actions.

Another one I had recently in a game.

Mastermind + Alchemist.

Masterminding an Alchemist means you are more likely to draw your potion, which in turn puts your Alchemists on top of your deck so you know they will be a target for Mastermind on your next turn. Also, because they can be reliably aligned, a Masterminded Alchemist can act as a village should there be no true villages in the kingdom.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2021, 07:00:52 am by xyz123 »

JW

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: JW
  • Respect: +1781
    • View Profile
« Reply #896 on: June 09, 2021, 05:21:18 pm »
+1

Throne Room - Throne Room - Displace with empty discard and 1 card in draw pile.
Displace Animal Farm into Province
React with a Sheepdog, drawing Sheepdog and Province.
Displace Province into Animal Farm
Discard Animal Farm from Exile
React with a Sheepdog, drawing 2 Animal Fairs
Throne Room Animal Fair (I picked the one that I originally Displaced as a reward for its loyalty!)

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jack Rudd
  • Respect: +1379
    • View Profile
« Reply #897 on: September 08, 2021, 08:25:03 pm »
+5

Stampede/Inheritance/Getting a 5 on your opening hand. Uh, holy crap.
Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

Honkeyfresh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #898 on: September 09, 2021, 02:55:50 am »

Stampede/Inheritance/Getting a 5 on your opening hand. Uh, holy crap.
Yeah Opening 5/10 is pretty sweet

Jonatan Djurachkovitch

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jonis20004
  • Respect: +95
    • View Profile
« Reply #899 on: September 10, 2021, 03:08:30 pm »
+1

Or Throne Room, Tactician and Way of the Owl (draw to 6) lets you continue your turn after playing TR-Tac.
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 45  All

Page created in 0.136 seconds with 21 queries.