Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 45  All

Author Topic: Neat card interactions that were useful in the game you found them in.  (Read 262274 times)

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Commodore Chuckles
  • Respect: +1971
    • View Profile
Re: Neat card interactions that were useful in the game you found them in.
« Reply #800 on: July 08, 2019, 06:20:17 pm »
+1

Merchant Guild + Villa
Get Coffers and then spend them on the same turn.

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1364
    • View Profile
« Reply #801 on: July 16, 2019, 02:11:10 am »
+5

A couple of nice interactions I've noticed lately:

City Gate/Treasure Map

Just keep topdecking your Treasure Map until it finds its other half. Really easy way to connect Treasure Maps.

Inheritance/Tournament (specifially, Followers)

With Inheritance, Followers becomes especially powerful because the Estate it gives you isn't junk anymore. I even bought Inheritance before Province in the game I played and I got 4/5 prizes and won the game before the other one was taken.
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

ipofanes

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: ipofanes
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
« Reply #802 on: July 17, 2019, 04:55:43 am »
+2

City Gate/Treasure Map

Just keep topdecking your Treasure Map until it finds its other half. Really easy way to connect Treasure Maps.

Obviously only works if you have no drawers. Open City Gate/Treasure Map, then Treasure Map and other card that does not draw, then you should be able to connect the Maps before third reshuffle.
Lord Rattington denies my undo requests

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #803 on: July 17, 2019, 06:46:25 pm »

With Inheritance, Followers becomes especially powerful because the Estate it gives you isn't junk anymore. I even bought Inheritance before Province in the game I played and I got 4/5 prizes and won the game before the other one was taken.

Your Estates will still be junk if your opponent has a Province in hand, though.

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4434
    • View Profile
« Reply #804 on: July 17, 2019, 09:02:35 pm »
+1

Your Estates will still be junk if your opponent has a Province in hand, though.

You don't have to choose to inherit Tournaments.

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #805 on: July 17, 2019, 10:51:09 pm »

Oh, okay, you were just talking about the other thing. I saw "Inheritance/Tournament" and just assumed you were talking about Inheriting Tournaments.

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile
« Reply #806 on: July 18, 2019, 12:12:38 am »

City Gate/Treasure Map

Obviously only works if you have no drawers. Open City Gate/Treasure Map, then Treasure Map and other card that does not draw, then you should be able to connect the Maps before third reshuffle.

It's fine if you get a draw card turn 4; worst case is you just skip playing it once. I'd try and get a +Buy card though; that way on the connecting turn, if you have it in hand you can topdeck it and make use of that $13+ right away.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1364
    • View Profile
« Reply #807 on: July 18, 2019, 02:23:38 am »
+1

Oh, okay, you were just talking about the other thing. I saw "Inheritance/Tournament" and just assumed you were talking about Inheriting Tournaments.

In this particular game I inherited tournaments and it worked out pretty well. But any inherited cantrip would be great with Followers.
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

ipofanes

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #808 on: July 18, 2019, 03:00:10 am »

City Gate/Treasure Map

I'd try and get a +Buy card though

Yes, like Forager. Wait ...

math

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: math
  • Respect: +191
    • View Profile
« Reply #809 on: July 18, 2019, 04:58:53 am »

City Gate/Treasure Map

I mean, Forager probably still gives you $11 along with your pseudo-Windflall.

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #810 on: July 18, 2019, 06:36:19 pm »

City Gate/Treasure Map

Why would that be bad? You get a powered-up Forager and get rid of a yellow Curse.

DDL

• Ambassador
  • Shuffle iT Username: DDL
  • Respect: +38
    • View Profile
« Reply #811 on: July 19, 2019, 09:20:48 pm »

Villa + Ferry

Insta-pileup.

ipofanes

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #812 on: July 25, 2019, 01:53:12 am »

Who says Silver doesn't belong in a Colony game?

In a game with Lucky Coin and Merchant, I put Plan on Merchant. My Opponent didn't contest Merchant. Double Wharf as terminal secured +buy and enough coin to clear Colonies within 15 turns.

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2854
    • View Profile
« Reply #813 on: July 25, 2019, 01:38:58 pm »
+3

In a game with Lucky Coin and Merchant, I put Plan on Merchant. My Opponent didn't contest Merchant. Double Wharf as terminal secured +buy and enough coin to clear Colonies within 15 turns.

I mean, Silver's a fine card, even in Colony games. If you're going down the Treasure route Silver's still better than nothing in Colony games.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #814 on: July 26, 2019, 03:13:24 pm »

I mean, Silver's a fine card, even in Colony games. If you're going down the Treasure route Silver's still better than nothing in Colony games.
It makes no sense to me but WanderingWinder said it is true so I have always believed it to be true.

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #815 on: July 27, 2019, 02:56:14 am »
+1

It makes no sense to me but WanderingWinder said it is true so I have always believed it to be true.
It's a money density thing. To buy Colony, you need $11. A hand of 5 Silvers generates $10. So adding Silver to your deck never helps you reach your desired money density. Of course that's less valid when you have lots of draw.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1423
    • View Profile
« Reply #816 on: July 27, 2019, 02:58:15 am »

Sometimes Gold is skippable in Colony games whereas Silver isn't simply because you need some early game economy, i.e. you can jump from Silver direct to Platinum.

crj

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1644
    • View Profile
« Reply #817 on: July 27, 2019, 11:15:41 am »

It's a money density thing. To buy Colony, you need $11. A hand of 5 Silvers generates $10. So adding Silver to your deck never helps you reach your desired money density. Of course that's less valid when you have lots of draw.
You don't just care about the average cash from a hand, though; you also care about variance.

To take a trivial example, a deck containing a single Platinum, Copper and junk can reach at most $9. Add two Silvers and it might - just might - hit $11.

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2854
    • View Profile
« Reply #818 on: July 28, 2019, 01:55:35 pm »

I don't think money density is the right way to look at this. Roughly, what you care about is how often you hit $11+, and money density only talking about the average doesn't express this super well.

If you assume that the only reasonable way to hit $11 is by drawing your Platinum, then the problem isn't how you hit $11, it's how you hit $6 from your non-Platinum treasures. So by buying Silver, you slightly slow down how often you get to see your Platinum, but you increase the odds that your non-Platinum treasures contribute to hitting $6, and my guess is that missing $11 is bad enough that you're okay with this tradeoff most of the time.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

Iridium

• Swindler
  • Shuffle iT Username: Iridium
  • Respect: +7
    • View Profile
« Reply #819 on: July 28, 2019, 02:53:32 pm »

Isn't true that in Dominion one great turn and one bad turn are better than two mediocre turns? In which case, money density doesn't really matter because it assumes that you have the same hand every turn anyway. Buying a Colony every other turn is better than barely missing Colony every turn (but obviously buying Colony every turn is preferable lol).

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #820 on: July 28, 2019, 03:27:03 pm »

Isn't true that in Dominion one great turn and one bad turn are better than two mediocre turns? In which case, money density doesn't really matter because it assumes that you have the same hand every turn anyway. Buying a Colony every other turn is better than barely missing Colony every turn (but obviously buying Colony every turn is preferable lol).

If your deck only consists of Silvers, you will barely miss Colony every turn.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

ipofanes

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #821 on: July 29, 2019, 03:27:31 am »

I don't think money density is the right way to look at this. Roughly, what you care about is how often you hit $11+, and money density only talking about the average doesn't express this super well.
In theory, one Merchant per turn will suffice with five Silvers to hit 11. In this game, Plan and double Wharf (and an opponent less than interested in Merchants) helped with consistency. In a normal Colony game, I would have gotten rid of Lucky Coin soon, while in this one it seemed like a viable strategy to keep it.

Chappy7

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chappy7
  • Respect: +660
    • View Profile
« Reply #822 on: August 01, 2019, 04:22:19 pm »
+2

Captain + Encampment!!

ehunt

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ehunt
  • Respect: +1855
    • View Profile
« Reply #823 on: August 01, 2019, 08:22:12 pm »
+1

game ended in a draw so it's not clear this was overwhelmingly good, but Dominate makes Contraband a much better card

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4434
    • View Profile
« Reply #824 on: August 03, 2019, 11:24:10 am »
+2

Capitalism/Swindler/Forager was a great combo in a game I just played—Swindler puts a ton of differently-named cards in the trash, and Capitalism makes most of them Treasures. Before I bought Capitalism, my opponent was playing Forager for $5 a pop when it was only $2 for me.
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 45  All

Page created in 0.2 seconds with 21 queries.