Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 45  All

Author Topic: Neat card interactions that were useful in the game you found them in.  (Read 262269 times)

hhelibebcnofnena

• Minion
  • she/her
  • Respect: +409
    • View Profile

Herald/Navigator!

Nothing else lets you stack so many cards so you can ensure that your Herald hits another Herald which hits something else good.

(Cartographer might be better, especially if you have less terminal capacity, but Navigator is the one that was in the game I actually played.)

Cartographer only looks 4 cards in, so I think Navigator is, in fact, the best.
Hydrogen Helium Lithium Beryllium Boron Carbon Nitrogen Oxygen Fluorine Neon Sodium

ipofanes

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: ipofanes
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile

Secret Passage may actually be even better as it widens the search space by your hand (thus to six cards when played initially), and it allows you to stack a terminal without fear of terminating your turn.

Then again, Secret Passage competes with Herald in the $4 space (but $4 gainers are plenty).
Lord Rattington denies my undo requests

Gubump

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile

Watchtower, Squire, and Cultist are in the set.

I buy a Squire for with a Watchtower in hand. I reveal Watchtower to trash the Squire, gaining a Cultist b/c of Squire's on-trash effect. I then reveal the same Watchtower to put the gained Cultist on top of my deck.

I had 8 Cultists in total.
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

crj

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1644
    • View Profile
+1

...by which point the Squire, Cultist and Ruins piles were all empty, so your opponent won because they bought an Estate? (-8

Gubump

• Torturer
    • View Profile
Re: Neat card interactions that were useful in the game you found them in.
« Reply #779 on: June 01, 2019, 11:51:25 am »

...by which point the Squire, Cultist and Ruins piles were all empty, so your opponent won because they bought an Estate? (-8

Nah, I actually only got the first 3 or 4 Cultists that way. The rest I got normally. It was a 3-player game, and my score was that of my opponents' combined.
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Commodore Chuckles
  • Respect: +1971
    • View Profile
« Reply #780 on: June 01, 2019, 12:10:28 pm »
+4

Capitalism + Horse Traders
Play all your other Treasures, then play Horse Traders, discarding nothing.

ehunt

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ehunt
  • Respect: +1855
    • View Profile
« Reply #781 on: June 01, 2019, 03:17:31 pm »
+1

academy + peddler

enough to sustain an engine without villages

jomini

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +766
    • View Profile
« Reply #782 on: June 02, 2019, 06:03:23 pm »

Lot of work for a Gold and a buy, particularly as once you green you will almost always have two greens to discard regardless. Buying two silvers is most cost effective if the buy doesn't matter.

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Commodore Chuckles
  • Respect: +1971
    • View Profile
« Reply #783 on: June 02, 2019, 11:45:23 pm »

Lot of work for a Gold and a buy, particularly as once you green you will almost always have two greens to discard regardless. Buying two silvers is most cost effective if the buy doesn't matter.

Well, the game this showed up in had other stuff that also benefitted from Capitalism. I still thought the effect was neat enough on its own to mention. And for what it's worth, you'll usually be able to get both Capitalism and Horse Traders before you can get a Gold.

ipofanes

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #784 on: June 07, 2019, 03:18:22 am »

Villa/Inheritance/cost reducer

This combination (cost reducer being Inventor) allowed me to siphon the Estates as the third pile in a single turn, gaining more than a Province worth in VPs

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (΄。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #785 on: June 07, 2019, 03:53:44 am »

Villa/Inheritance/cost reducer

This combination (cost reducer being Inventor) allowed me to siphon the Estates as the third pile in a single turn, gaining more than a Province worth in VPs

Why is the cost reducer necessary?
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

ipofanes

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #786 on: June 07, 2019, 07:26:59 am »
+1

Because Estate costs €2 and Villa provides only one coin? You don't need if you already have enough coin in your Buy phase.

William Howard Taft

• Bishop
  • Respect: +144
    • View Profile
« Reply #787 on: June 07, 2019, 10:41:01 am »
+1

Maybe it’s been pointed out before but Mill/Hermit is a great opener.

Mill is great at hitting $5 right away but you have to discard your junk, which can make it bad to pair with a trasher. Hitting $5, gaining a $3 cost card, and trashing from your discard pile right away is nice.

hhelibebcnofnena

• Minion
  • she/her
  • Respect: +409
    • View Profile
« Reply #788 on: June 07, 2019, 12:16:23 pm »

Because Estate costs €2 and Villa provides only one coin? You don't need if you already have enough coin in your Buy phase.

Merchant Guild also works for this.
Hydrogen Helium Lithium Beryllium Boron Carbon Nitrogen Oxygen Fluorine Neon Sodium

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (΄。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #789 on: June 07, 2019, 03:37:37 pm »
+1

Hitting $5, gaining a $3 cost card, and trashing from your discard pile right away is nice.

You don't hit $5 unless you discard the Hermit.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #790 on: June 07, 2019, 04:57:36 pm »
+1

Merchant Guild also works for this.

True, though in many ways Merchant Guild acts like a type of cost reduction anyway.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

math

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: math
  • Respect: +191
    • View Profile
« Reply #791 on: June 12, 2019, 06:53:23 pm »

Governor+Chariot Race.  Normally the Gold and Remodel options on Governor are stronger than the draw, but if your first Chariot Race whiffs because of something expensive on the opponent's deck, drawing with Governor lets you try to hit a cheaper card.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #792 on: June 12, 2019, 07:04:56 pm »

Governor+Chariot Race.  Normally the Gold and Remodel options on Governor are stronger than the draw, but if your first Chariot Race whiffs because of something expensive on the opponent's deck, drawing with Governor lets you try to hit a cheaper card.

The draw is usually very good

math

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: math
  • Respect: +191
    • View Profile
« Reply #793 on: June 12, 2019, 07:49:10 pm »

I agree, but Governor is so good overall that I find myself using the non-terminal Remodel option when I'm building, and the Gold gain/Remodel as payload, with mostly other things for draw.  It's possible I'm playing it wrong.

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile
« Reply #794 on: June 13, 2019, 12:36:31 am »
+1

I agree, but Governor is so good overall that I find myself using the non-terminal Remodel option when I'm building, and the Gold gain/Remodel as payload, with mostly other things for draw.  It's possible I'm playing it wrong.

You generally want to avoid early Remodel effects because they help your opponent a lot more than you (thinning Coppers for free mostly). The main exception is to make Silvers into Governors when contesting the split.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

Gubump

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #795 on: June 13, 2019, 02:11:18 am »

Patron + Seer

Spam the crap out of both of them, then whenever you play a Seer, you put the revealed Patrons into your hand AND get +1 Coffers for each one!

Patron + Patrol

Similar to Patron + Seer. Patrol is arguably better, since it draws more reliably and reveals more cards. And in Patron games, you probably aren't going to need any other sources of +Actions anyway.

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile
« Reply #796 on: June 13, 2019, 09:01:10 am »

Patron + Seer

Spam the crap out of both of them, then whenever you play a Seer, you put the revealed Patrons into your hand AND get +1 Coffers for each one!

Patron + Patrol

Similar to Patron + Seer. Patrol is arguably better, since it draws more reliably and reveals more cards. And in Patron games, you probably aren't going to need any other sources of +Actions anyway.

You're aware that Patron consumes an action in addition to giving you a Villager, I hope? You really will likely need another village if you're trying to draw your deck with terminal draw. The Seer thing is a lot better though.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

Gubump

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #797 on: June 13, 2019, 02:49:41 pm »

Patron + Seer

Patron + Patrol

You're aware that Patron consumes an action in addition to giving you a Villager, I hope? You really will likely need another village if you're trying to draw your deck with terminal draw. The Seer thing is a lot better though.

I really have built draw-your-deck engines with lots of terminals and no Villages thanks to Patron. And yes, I am aware that Patrons still consume Actions. I don't know why I said that Patrol is arguably better, though. Patron + Seer is way better.

William Howard Taft

• Bishop
  • Respect: +144
    • View Profile
« Reply #798 on: July 06, 2019, 10:28:58 am »
+10

Speaking of Remodel effects, I had no idea Cemetery + Remodel was such a quick thinner. Remodel those Estates into Cemeteries to trash all your Coppers in hand. Then Remodel the Cemeteries into Gold or Grand Markets or whatever.

ipofanes

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #799 on: July 08, 2019, 03:57:51 am »

I was like "But those compete for the $4 price tag" before I re-read "Remodel your Estates into Cemeteries".
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 45  All

Page created in 0.105 seconds with 21 queries.