Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 45  All

Author Topic: Neat card interactions that were useful in the game you found them in.  (Read 262200 times)

Holunder9

• Jester
  • Respect: +380
    • View Profile
Re: Neat card interactions that were useful in the game you found them in.
« Reply #625 on: September 28, 2018, 03:19:56 pm »
+1

Prince - Tormentor - Imp

Imps is a "near $5" so it is a quite very Prince target.

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Commodore Chuckles
  • Respect: +1971
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: September 28, 2018, 09:15:51 pm »

Swashbuckler + Remodelers
Remodeling your Treasure Chest Golds into Provinces (or other things) puts stuff in your discard, giving you coffers when you buckle your swashes.

Honkeyfresh

• Minion
  • DSF lowest ratio upvotes-posts 14 yrs & counting
  • Respect: +228
    • View Profile
« Reply #627 on: September 29, 2018, 02:45:57 am »

I can't think of any real uses for this beyond rare edge cases, weird pile control, or maybe an unnecessarily fancy TfB strategy, but I recently discovered that you can move $3+ cost Action cards from the trash directly back to the Supply using Lurker to gain from the trash, and then exchange for Changeling.  Lurker gains the card out of the trash and then Changeling exchanges it back to the Supply.  Kinda neat (albeit usually not very helpful) interaction.

could stop someone from using steroided cities...
"Rap game Julio Franco, Chuck Norris, Texas Ranger/ Ice on my fingers look like I slap-boxed a penguin." -- Riff Raff Proverbs 4:20

"Sometimes I say some things people may think are just outlandish, but I'm going to have the last laugh." -- Riff Raff  Exodus 6:66

William Howard Taft

• Bishop
  • Respect: +144
    • View Profile
« Reply #628 on: September 29, 2018, 11:29:25 am »

Silk Merchant + Procession was lots of fun.

Honkeyfresh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #629 on: September 29, 2018, 12:10:56 pm »

Just played a game with crazy synergy.  Probably even counts as a combo. Unless projects don't count for some as they aren't technically "cards" for the literalists anal folks.  And you guys really need to relax.

Innovation & Hermit (madman).

Once you gain innovation it allows you to play cards at the end that you gain.  So buy hermit.  Immediately play hermit (can even grab another hermit here especially to block ur opponent from doing this too) and b/c you can't buy a card after playing it you immediately get a madman.

So you basically get a free card and an immediate madman without the hermit clogging ur deck (not to mention an additional trash from the hermit anyway)

Just crushed someone with this.  It's really strong.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2018, 12:15:00 pm by Honkeyfresh »
"Rap game Julio Franco, Chuck Norris, Texas Ranger/ Ice on my fingers look like I slap-boxed a penguin." -- Riff Raff Proverbs 4:20

"Sometimes I say some things people may think are just outlandish, but I'm going to have the last laugh." -- Riff Raff  Exodus 6:66

Honkeyfresh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #630 on: September 29, 2018, 03:51:41 pm »

from other thread with basically same name and subject

Wait, that doesn't sound right.... You only get a Madman "if you didn't buy any cards this turn", not just if you didn't buy any cards after playing Hermit.

well then it's a glitch.  cuz i just did it like 5x

I thought it would work like you, just happened to gain one to trash a curse and it happened... so i used the shit out of it

for those that wanna see this, or play it load game 18825460

teamlyle

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: La-Ya
  • Ah... German Hello?
  • Respect: +329
    • View Profile
« Reply #631 on: September 30, 2018, 01:47:01 am »
+2

Shepherd + Star Chart: Shepherd will often trigger a shuffle with green cards on top of your deck. Then, use Star Chart to make sure you draw the Shepherd with all the green.
"In your face." -Jacob
"Ooh. You just got burned." -Jack
"First place again, disciple!" -Ruikai
"Ugh... 399 cursors. Time to hack!" -Ben
"You gotta do your homework, dude!" -Yul
"Come on man, let the plat play." -The Plat
"It's nice to have a good 'in your face' every once in a while." -Jacob
"OBJECTION!!! The witness is being SUPER gross." -Phoenix Wright
"Milord, Inquisitor Fey sentences that burger to my stomach!" -Maya Fey
"Dude, I only had 4 cups of coffee this morning so I'm gonna crash." -Swi
"Okay, okay. My team name is: Team Lyle: the Advancing Armadillo." -Lyle
"I’m sorry Cedric, we just have to do what we have to do to get me to be a op." -Paul
"Well, I prefer loyal people. I don’t want anyone to be a La-Ya except for me." -La-Ya
"I don't play Monkey vs. Monkey. I'm too busy in pacifist mode, watching my buildings survive and thrive!" -Joshua
Lyle's mom: Are you guys going to play regular Dominion, or are you going to play cheat?
Lyle: Of course we're playing Cheat Dominion!

DDL

• Ambassador
  • Shuffle iT Username: DDL
  • Respect: +38
    • View Profile
« Reply #632 on: September 30, 2018, 03:59:32 pm »

I just got rekt by Silk Merchant + Upgrade. Insane token harvesting machine. Buy silvers, make SMs, get tokens, upgrade SMs into Upgrades, get more tokens. Also it had Innovation to use the Upgrades in the same turns, and City Quarter for extra draw. Before I knew it my opponent megaturn'd with a gazillion coffers/silvers and won.

Honkeyfresh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: October 08, 2018, 12:04:59 am »

Just had a sweet deck with some crazy synergy.

Shephard + seaway + counterfeit + training + crazy shit

Here's my turn 11

Turn 11 - honkeyfresh
h plays a Shepherd.
h gets +1 Coin (from Training).
h gets +1 Buy (from Seaway).
h gets +1 Action.
h discards a Pasture and an Estate.
h draws 3 Estates and a Shepherd.
h plays a Shepherd.
h gets +1 Action.
h discards 3 Estates.
h draws 2 Coppers, 2 Estates, a Counterfeit and a Shepherd.
h plays a Shepherd.
h gets +1 Action.
h discards 2 Estates.
h shuffles their deck.
h draws 2 Estates, a Shepherd and a Pasture.
h plays a Shepherd.
h gets +1 Action.
h discards a Pasture and 2 Estates.
h shuffles their deck.
h draws 6 Estates.
h plays a Counterfeit.
h gets +1 Buy.
h plays a Copper.
h plays a Copper again.
h trashes a Copper.
h plays a Silver, a Copper and a Gold.
h buys and gains 5 Estates.
h buys and gains a Silver.
h shuffles their deck.
h draws 3 Estates, a Shepherd and a Pasture.

grrgrrgrr

• Explorer
  • Respect: +415
    • View Profile
« Reply #634 on: October 09, 2018, 11:52:06 am »
+3

Sewers+Transmute

Sewers can even make this trasher viable (albeit extremely outclassed). If luck is with you, three uses of Transmute will turn your starting Estates into Gold, eliminating 3 coppers in the progress. It's Duchy gaining can be fairly powerfull as well. Definitely worth considering when other trashers are abscent.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #635 on: October 09, 2018, 02:45:03 pm »

Adding 2 tokens to any card is going to make the card crazy good.. not so sure what's special about Shepherd here.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Honkeyfresh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #636 on: October 10, 2018, 12:22:01 am »

Adding 2 tokens to any card is going to make the card crazy good.. not so sure what's special about Shepherd here.

I guess that is kinda true/ But especially with Shephard the + buys allowed me to load up on estates (getting 2 vp per) which in most decks would suck, but with Shepard it can help your engine build, especially when getting training pts from Shephard.

In most deck the super extra buys wouldn't be that useful.

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3676
    • View Profile
« Reply #637 on: October 10, 2018, 01:33:23 pm »
+4

Pixie/Highway is capable of scoring wickedly fast, thanks to a synergy between Forest + Earth Boons, Highway and the presence of Goat to speed things up.

The Build

1. Open Pixie/Pixie, unless you have a 5/2. If you do, open Highway/Pixie.

2. Focus on thinning down with Goat. No need to get any other trashing, especially no need to waste a Pixie to pop Flame's Gift.

3. If you can hit $5 on the way, you may go out of your way to do so. This means you can pop a Pixie in order to guarantee a $5. Getting a Highway early is crucial.

4. Buy Pixies on off turns in the mean time. Pop one every time you can activate Earth’s Gift or Forest’s Gift, if you know you can net gain a Pixie. If you have Highway in play, these two boons become even stronger.

5. Try to prioritize Pixies slightly as those are your gains, but find a balance between gaining Highways and Pixies.

6. Get about 5 Highways at a minimum. While 4 is enough to activate Province gains with Earth, getting Forest’s Gift to work for you is crucial as well, and sometimes Highways will hide.

7. It probably goes without saying, but always play Highway before you play Pixie.

8. You should be able to end the game in about 11-12 turns, with 5+ Provinces in your deck.

Note that you can probably do even faster builds with the inclusion of other cards within a Kingdom. This deck is only the launching point. Be creative and keep your eyes open.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2018, 01:37:35 pm by Seprix »
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

greybirdofprey

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +191
    • View Profile
« Reply #638 on: October 10, 2018, 02:40:50 pm »

With Pixie + Tracker it was pretty neat to open with three Pixies. Pouch needs to line up properly though.

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2854
    • View Profile
« Reply #639 on: October 10, 2018, 05:42:03 pm »

Villa + Pathfinding is pretty nice. You naturally buy a bunch of Villas for the on-buy effect, but they can clog up your deck afterwards. Pathfinding turns them all into passable cards. Odds are that Villa is the most common action in your deck by the time you get the +Card token. Additionally, because Villa effectively has an on-buy +1 Buy, you can quickly drain the Villa pile by paying $3 for each one, with the +Card token helping you draw into more money to buy more Villas.

I assume Villa + Training is also decent, but that there are limits to how many +2 Actions +$2 +1 Buy cards you want in your deck, even if they only cost $2 each once you get the +$1 token on Villa.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

Simon Jester

• Golem
  • Shuffle iT Username: hockeyzemlan
  • changed life, changed everything
  • Respect: +187
    • View Profile
« Reply #640 on: October 10, 2018, 06:49:10 pm »
+1

Pixie/Highway

Just tried it, works amazingly. With a little help from workers village I managed to empty the provinces in 12 turns despite quite bad draws. Well found! 
« Last Edit: October 10, 2018, 06:58:48 pm by Simon Jester »
S

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #641 on: October 23, 2018, 05:19:58 pm »

Pixie/Highway is capable of scoring wickedly fast, thanks to a synergy between Forest + Earth Boons, Highway and the presence of Goat to speed things up.

The Build

1. Open Pixie/Pixie, unless you have a 5/2. If you do, open Highway/Pixie.

2. Focus on thinning down with Goat. No need to get any other trashing, especially no need to waste a Pixie to pop Flame's Gift.

3. If you can hit $5 on the way, you may go out of your way to do so. This means you can pop a Pixie in order to guarantee a $5. Getting a Highway early is crucial.

4. Buy Pixies on off turns in the mean time. Pop one every time you can activate Earth’s Gift or Forest’s Gift, if you know you can net gain a Pixie. If you have Highway in play, these two boons become even stronger.

5. Try to prioritize Pixies slightly as those are your gains, but find a balance between gaining Highways and Pixies.

6. Get about 5 Highways at a minimum. While 4 is enough to activate Province gains with Earth, getting Forest’s Gift to work for you is crucial as well, and sometimes Highways will hide.

7. It probably goes without saying, but always play Highway before you play Pixie.

8. You should be able to end the game in about 11-12 turns, with 5+ Provinces in your deck.

Note that you can probably do even faster builds with the inclusion of other cards within a Kingdom. This deck is only the launching point. Be creative and keep your eyes open.

So I noticed that my extension was working for some boons here and failing for others... turn's out it's because you used different characters for the apostrophes in "Earth’s Gift" and "Forest’s Gift". Mostly I'm just curious why/how it would be different.. I assume that "Flame's Gift" is what you get when you just type it out. Were the other ones copy/pasted from somewhere?

I have this same issue at work a lot; people send me SQL scripts to run; and they'll have the strings surrounded with ’, which doesn't work, they need to be ' instead.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

ConMan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1705
    • View Profile
« Reply #642 on: October 23, 2018, 06:29:11 pm »

They're probably just "smart quotes" which I think started with Word but are now showing up in more and more places. Essentially there's an autocorrect in some software that turns the ambiguous ' and " into appropriately slanted versions depending on context (and, like all autocorrects, it doesn't always get the context right).

chipperMDW

• Duke
  • Respect: +813
    • View Profile
« Reply #643 on: October 23, 2018, 06:51:34 pm »
+2

like all autocorrects, it doesn't always get the context right.

‘Tis true.

Holunder9

• Jester
  • Respect: +380
    • View Profile
« Reply #644 on: October 24, 2018, 05:03:14 pm »
+3

Ghost Town + Shanty Town (and no terminal draw)

This sounds weird at first but Ghost Town enables you to play your terminals before you play Shanty Town. Doesn't always work but definitely makes Shanty Town less often a Necropolis.

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #645 on: October 24, 2018, 08:05:53 pm »

Ghost Town + Shanty Town (and no terminal draw)

This sounds weird at first but Ghost Town enables you to play your terminals before you play Shanty Town. Doesn't always work but definitely makes Shanty Town less often a Necropolis.

One of the times where Ghost Town not being an Action has its advantages.

greybirdofprey

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +191
    • View Profile
« Reply #646 on: October 26, 2018, 06:24:57 am »
+1

Just had
Lurker + Mining Village (Lurker becomes Silver, Mining Village can be played more than once if you have enough draw)
and
Lurker + Apprentice
on the same board.

Sure, Lurker works well with most trash-for-benefit but I found that these work especially well because 1: they give +1 (or more) action so you can play Lurker after playing them and 2: the benefit improves your current buy phase. These three were also the best option for draw/actions/coin for an engine on said board.

buckets

• Scout
  • Respect: +14
    • View Profile
« Reply #647 on: October 31, 2018, 12:06:22 am »

soothsayer + legionary

give them the extra card, then immediately take it away

gold from soothsayer helps power up legionary too

buckets

• Scout
  • Respect: +14
    • View Profile
« Reply #648 on: November 03, 2018, 10:08:18 am »

crown+capital gets you $12 and +2 Buy for 6 debt per play

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #649 on: November 03, 2018, 12:43:52 pm »

Advisor + Castles
Your opponent making your Advisors draw green cards can help if you buy Grand Castle or already have Opulent Castle.
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 45  All

Page created in 0.053 seconds with 21 queries.