Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 45  All

Author Topic: Neat card interactions that were useful in the game you found them in.  (Read 262188 times)

Screwyioux

• Conspirator
  • Shuffle iT Username: JakeTheZipper
  • Respect: +226
    • View Profile
Re: Neat card interactions that were useful in the game you found them in.
« Reply #600 on: August 16, 2018, 02:23:31 pm »

Pirate Ship + Lurker + bad opponent

Lurk a pirate ship, your opp. will likely "steal" it, and trash your coppers.

I did this to an opponent with Harvest one time. Lurker is a junking attack.

ipofanes

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: ipofanes
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
« Reply #601 on: August 22, 2018, 03:10:55 am »

Procession / Rats

Of course, all trash for benefit or remodel type cards justify a second look on the Rats pile. Unlike Remake/Upgrade etc. though, Procession would increase instead of decrease the Rats density in your deck (trashing a Rats and two cards, gain two Rats and a $5 card), so playing it deserves the same kind of prudence as the decision to play a Rats. In a recent game with the Peasant line and Torturer (as the only $5 action card) though, this proved to be the right route. Procession/cantrip was the only way to net actions, which Torturers appreciate so much, and being able to play Disciple with Torturer eventually made me win the Torturer split by a margin until Teacher could slap the +Action token on the Torturer pile.
Lord Rattington denies my undo requests

Dingan

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Dingan
  • Respect: +1728
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #602 on: August 25, 2018, 11:04:53 pm »
+1

Transmute / Bonfire

Curious if this is actually a thing but it seems neat. Open Bonfire / Potion, buy 1 Transmute, turn 3 Estates into Golds while also Bonfireing when you can, including the Potion and even Transmute eventually. Nice way to get thin while grabbing 3 Golds. Worked out for me in an Encampment game.

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Commodore Chuckles
  • Respect: +1971
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: September 01, 2018, 11:04:02 am »

Royal Carriage + Caravan Guard
I'm kind of surprised I didn't encounter this one before considering these two are from the same set: When you play Caravan Guard on someone else's turn as a Reaction, you can immediately call Royal Carriage to play it again.

crj

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1644
    • View Profile
« Reply #604 on: September 01, 2018, 11:49:15 am »

I've seen that come up, and felt it wasn't as useful as one might think. Apart from anything else, if that's how you're going to use your Royal Carriage, you might as well have simply bought another Caravan Guard and saved yourself $2!

LostPhoenix

• Apprentice
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lost Phoenix
  • Your resident lurker
  • Respect: +325
    • View Profile
« Reply #605 on: September 01, 2018, 01:12:34 pm »
+2

I've seen that come up, and felt it wasn't as useful as one might think. Apart from anything else, if that's how you're going to use your Royal Carriage, you might as well have simply bought another Caravan Guard and saved yourself $2!

This is probably why it is in "neat card interactions that were useful in the game you found them in," and not "neat and potentially useful card interactions."
It's still good to know that this interaction exists.

ehunt

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ehunt
  • Respect: +1855
    • View Profile
« Reply #606 on: September 06, 2018, 09:21:50 pm »
+2

monastery/delve

even the angriest big-money hater can see that turning a copper into a silver is better than buying nothing

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #607 on: September 07, 2018, 02:43:57 am »

monastery/delve

even the angriest big-money hater can see that turning a copper into a silver is better than buying nothing
Not if you're playing with Apothecary!
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

Holunder9

• Jester
  • Respect: +380
    • View Profile
« Reply #608 on: September 08, 2018, 10:05:00 am »

Druid with Swamp's Gift
Slow and only good in some Kingdoms, e.g. if there are trashers this won't work respectively be able to compete with trashing.
The idea is to gain a lot of Wisps to make them often be Laboratories.

Honkeyfresh

• Minion
  • DSF lowest ratio upvotes-posts 14 yrs & counting
  • Respect: +228
    • View Profile
« Reply #609 on: September 13, 2018, 11:04:48 am »

Just made the best engine I've ever made.  Board keys inclue Margrave, page line, dominate, merchant, stone mason and nobles and pathfinding.

A lil taineted only because opponent bailed after i got my 3rd or 4th straight dominate to open.  Opened with stone mason/page 2 and silver.  Only exchanged one page.  Basically spent the beginning of game getting as many pages as i could, a margrave and a nobles.  By end i was pathfining my whole deck, and playing nobles and margraves, exchanging 2 pages, then stonemasoning treasure hunters back into pages to draw the silver of the other TH.

8 Dominates.129 to 14.

a lil stoned or i could have even done it better.  could have pathfound instead of enables earlier and even then since i had 8 i forgot to get 2 nobles with stone mason.  But about the only mistakes I made.  Basically added like 5 turns there.

http://nimb.ws/klvgbo
« Last Edit: September 13, 2018, 11:08:03 am by Honkeyfresh »
"Rap game Julio Franco, Chuck Norris, Texas Ranger/ Ice on my fingers look like I slap-boxed a penguin." -- Riff Raff Proverbs 4:20

"Sometimes I say some things people may think are just outlandish, but I'm going to have the last laugh." -- Riff Raff  Exodus 6:66

boris

• Chancellor
  • Respect: +37
    • View Profile
« Reply #610 on: September 15, 2018, 11:11:15 am »
+2

In a sloggy game without Estate trashing and Haunted Woods, i discovered that Crossroads can be a soft counter to the Attack part of Haunted Woods.

It is not super efficient, but for instance topdecking three green cards and Crossroads can provide a start with 4 other cards + 3 Actions in the next turn.

William Howard Taft

• Bishop
  • Respect: +144
    • View Profile
« Reply #611 on: September 16, 2018, 04:25:40 pm »

monastery/delve

Monastery is so good. Recently played a game with Monastery, Cache, and Council Room. So much money so fast, and Monastery's ability to let you spend the Coppers before trashing them is ridiculous.

Honkeyfresh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #612 on: September 21, 2018, 01:01:17 am »

Procession,  & Hireling.  Even better if Forge or Expand are on board, but damn fine on it's own too.

Hireling goes to the trash, Procession is discarded from play in Clean-up phase, and you will draw two extra cards per turn, even with Hireling in the trash.
"Rap game Julio Franco, Chuck Norris, Texas Ranger/ Ice on my fingers look like I slap-boxed a penguin." -- Riff Raff Proverbs 4:20

"Sometimes I say some things people may think are just outlandish, but I'm going to have the last laugh." -- Riff Raff  Exodus 6:66

crj

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #613 on: September 21, 2018, 01:16:42 am »

If you Procession a Hireling, the Procession is not discarded during Clean-up; it remains in play indefinitely.

(Forever, unless you pull a stunt like Bonfire, or you played Procession on the Procession you played on the Hireling, or...)

markus

• Apprentice
  • Shuffle iT Username: markus
  • Respect: +434
    • View Profile
« Reply #614 on: September 21, 2018, 02:42:02 am »
+1

If you Procession a Hireling, the Procession is not discarded during Clean-up; it remains in play indefinitely.

(Forever, unless you pull a stunt like Bonfire, or you played Procession on the Procession you played on the Hireling, or...)
That's wrong: under current rules, Procession gets discarded immediately because Hireling leaves play. That's why it's a neat interaction to Procession Hirelings.

crj

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #615 on: September 21, 2018, 10:16:00 am »

Hmm. That would be a change since the first edition Dark Ages rulebook?

Has someone compiled a complete list of the material rules changes 2nd Edition has brought about? I'm beginning to lose track. )-8  (Uh... as it were.)

Doom_Shark

• Tactician
  • Shuffle iT Username: Doom_Shark
  • Respect: +409
    • View Profile
« Reply #616 on: September 21, 2018, 11:29:51 am »

Hmm. That would be a change since the first edition Dark Ages rulebook?

Has someone compiled a complete list of the material rules changes 2nd Edition has brought about? I'm beginning to lose track. )-8  (Uh... as it were.)

I don't remember who, but someone here made a pdf titled "The Complete Rules of Dominion and All its Expansions" or something like that on bgg, and somewhat regularly updates it, including errata and donald's rulings from here and bgg. They occasionally ask for people to proofread it, there's a link to the bgg post where they asked for proofreading
"I swear to drunk I'm not officer, God."
Generation 33 The first time you see this, copy it, add 1 to the generation number, and add it to your signature. (On any forum) Social experiment.

Screwyioux

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #617 on: September 21, 2018, 12:26:11 pm »

That's wrong: under current rules, Procession gets discarded immediately because Hireling leaves play. That's why it's a neat interaction to Procession Hirelings.

Yeah I remember something like that. You still get the plus card for the rest of the game, right? It doesn't make sense to me that you do, but I think there was a tournament board that had you track it with tokens or something.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: September 21, 2018, 01:34:46 pm »
+2

Yeah I remember something like that. You still get the plus card for the rest of the game, right? It doesn't make sense to me that you do, but I think there was a tournament board that had you track it with tokens or something.

You get plus two cards for the rest of the game.

Screwyioux

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #619 on: September 21, 2018, 02:44:15 pm »

You get plus two cards for the rest of the game.

Right, right. The Hireling happens to stay out for the rest of the game, but technically it's not the Hireling drawing you the cards, it's having played the Hireling. Dominion gets weird, man.

You also get to gain a King's Court so you can play more Hirelings.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2018, 02:45:26 pm by Screwyioux »

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #620 on: September 21, 2018, 09:10:21 pm »

Wait a minute, Hireling leaves play? Since when? It says "This stays in play" right on the card.

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: September 21, 2018, 09:53:28 pm »

Wait a minute, Hireling leaves play? Since when? It says "This stays in play" right on the card.

Hireling leaves play if trashed by Procession.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

Honkeyfresh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: September 21, 2018, 10:30:17 pm »

Ritual + Rats
Rats trims your deck.

No it doesn't.

It does after you get all 20 of them...  :P

In a more useful note I think  Ritual + Rats can work, but it would need support, probably another trasher that can trash excess rats

This could be mad fire with monastery.  Since you get to trash one card in hand or copper in play for every card you gain you could trash like the 5 normally useless rats in your hand when you finally want all those rats out of your deck.  Also great to trash all the ritual curses since you gain 2-5 cards in a given turn anyways. But I guess the rats could trash the curses too...

Honkeyfresh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #623 on: September 21, 2018, 10:42:05 pm »

me either.  I just happened to read this on the wiki and was like :headexplode:

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #624 on: September 22, 2018, 09:28:26 am »

Ritual + Rats
Rats trims your deck.

No it doesn't.

It does after you get all 20 of them...  :P

In a more useful note I think  Ritual + Rats can work, but it would need support, probably another trasher that can trash excess rats

This could be mad fire with monastery.  Since you get to trash one card in hand or copper in play for every card you gain you could trash like the 5 normally useless rats in your hand when you finally want all those rats out of your deck.  Also great to trash all the ritual curses since you gain 2-5 cards in a given turn anyways. But I guess the rats could trash the curses too...

For some reason I first read this as Bonfire + Rats. But interestingly, Bonfire + Rats could work as a way to get rid of Curses.
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 45  All

Page created in 0.227 seconds with 21 queries.