Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 45  All

Author Topic: Neat card interactions that were useful in the game you found them in.  (Read 262233 times)

teamlyle

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: La-Ya
  • Ah... German Hello?
  • Respect: +329
    • View Profile
+5

Envoy + Cemetary: get a big hand with Envoy, then trash stuff. It helps that your opponent will want to let you keep the bad cards when you play Envoy, which you then trash.
"In your face." -Jacob
"Ooh. You just got burned." -Jack
"First place again, disciple!" -Ruikai
"Ugh... 399 cursors. Time to hack!" -Ben
"You gotta do your homework, dude!" -Yul
"Come on man, let the plat play." -The Plat
"It's nice to have a good 'in your face' every once in a while." -Jacob
"OBJECTION!!! The witness is being SUPER gross." -Phoenix Wright
"Milord, Inquisitor Fey sentences that burger to my stomach!" -Maya Fey
"Dude, I only had 4 cups of coffee this morning so I'm gonna crash." -Swi
"Okay, okay. My team name is: Team Lyle: the Advancing Armadillo." -Lyle
"I’m sorry Cedric, we just have to do what we have to do to get me to be a op." -Paul
"Well, I prefer loyal people. I don’t want anyone to be a La-Ya except for me." -La-Ya
"I don't play Monkey vs. Monkey. I'm too busy in pacifist mode, watching my buildings survive and thrive!" -Joshua
Lyle's mom: Are you guys going to play regular Dominion, or are you going to play cheat?
Lyle: Of course we're playing Cheat Dominion!

William Howard Taft

• Bishop
  • Respect: +144
    • View Profile

Pasture/Hunting Grounds

3 Estates = 6VP so trashing your Hunting Grounds is as good as gaining a Province. Even better if you can Remodel it into a Province.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile

Pasture/Hunting Grounds

3 Estates = 6VP so trashing your Hunting Grounds is as good as gaining a Province. Even better if you can Remodel it into a Province.

Well, it's as good as gaining a Province and 2 junk cards, which is actually far worse than gaining just a Province. Still a neat thing if you don't think you'll shuffle again this game.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Chappy7

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chappy7
  • Respect: +660
    • View Profile
+1

Nothing ground breaking, but in a game where highway and Mine were the only $5 cards, I Mined a copper into a gold, which is a very satisfying (and neat) card interaction.

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile
+1

Pasture/Hunting Grounds

Well, it's as good as gaining a Province and 2 junk cards, which is actually far worse than gaining just a Province. Still a neat thing if you don't think you'll shuffle again this game.

In a Pasture / Shepherd game, green cards aren’t junk.

That said, it’s just weird to compare it to a Province - it’s obviously a far different outcome.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

DeepCyan

• Steward
  • Respect: +61
    • View Profile
+3

Swindler + Border Village

Had a game where I bought Swindler without thinking of this interaction, and ended up hitting my opponent's Border Village 4 times. Since Border Village's effect is on-gain, rather than on-buy, swindling one means you either have to swap out your opponent's village for a 6 cost, or let your opponent pick up a 5 cost of their choice if you give their village back. Ended up doing the latter in fear of 'expanding' his villages into golds/fairgrounds, and ended up losing off of the duchies he picked up through his swindled villages.

...Not my proudest moment, must say.

William Howard Taft

• Bishop
    • View Profile
Re: Neat card interactions that were useful in the game you found them in.
« Reply #531 on: June 01, 2018, 11:09:47 am »

Pasture/Hunting Grounds

In a Pasture / Shepherd game, green cards aren’t junk.

That said, it’s just weird to compare it to a Province - it’s obviously a far different outcome.

Aside from a few outlier situations I'm not going to trash HG until end of game unless I'm forced to. Still, it's pretty rad to get 12 VP by remodeling one $6 card. It's not an official double Province but 12 points is 12 points.

Cave-o-sapien

• Jester
  • Respect: +1675
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: June 01, 2018, 02:00:54 pm »

Lurker + Pixie

Cycle through the Boons, when you find a good one (like say, Swamp's Gift), trash the Pixie, then grab it from the trash with Lurker.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: June 01, 2018, 02:34:50 pm »

Lurker + Pixie

Cycle through the Boons, when you find a good one (like say, Swamp's Gift), trash the Pixie, then grab it from the trash with Lurker.

If you're going to get the Pixie back, wouldn't you almost always go ahead and trash it, even if it's for a Boon that wasn't the one you hoped for? Or do you mean if you have several Pixies in hand, and one Lurker?
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Cave-o-sapien

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: June 01, 2018, 03:00:41 pm »

Lurker + Pixie

If you're going to get the Pixie back, wouldn't you almost always go ahead and trash it, even if it's for a Boon that wasn't the one you hoped for? Or do you mean if you have several Pixies in hand, and one Lurker?

You have a finite number of Lurkers; you probably want to use them to do other stuff, too. In my deck I had 3-4 Pixies and ways of cycling my other cards. I could afford to be choosy with the Boons.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: June 01, 2018, 03:07:51 pm »

Lurker + Pixie

You have a finite number of Lurkers; you probably want to use them to do other stuff, too. In my deck I had 3-4 Pixies and ways of cycling my other cards. I could afford to be choosy with the Boons.

I can see that, but it seems like you could have a Lurker for each Pixie if you wanted, also. You usually want several Lurkers anyway, don't you? And they both cost the same.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: June 01, 2018, 03:16:26 pm »

Soothsayer/Donate

Technically, any gainer+ Donate.  Obviously this only works on 5/2 or 2/5 opening.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Cave-o-sapien

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: June 01, 2018, 03:23:01 pm »

I can see that, but it seems like you could have a Lurker for each Pixie if you wanted, also. You usually want several Lurkers anyway, don't you? And they both cost the same.

But you don't want many of the Boons. I think I would routinely trash for Swamp, Forest, Field, River, Sea and occasionally Wind, depending on whether I'd drawn everything already or not.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #538 on: June 01, 2018, 04:13:47 pm »

Soothsayer/Donate

Technically, any gainer+ Donate.  Obviously this only works on 5/2 or 2/5 opening.

It works on any opening. Just open Donate and buy the Soothsayer on turn 3.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

LaLight

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: LaLight
  • Because I'm a potato
  • Respect: +971
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: June 02, 2018, 05:12:12 am »

Soothsayer/Donate

Unless you opened $2
Wins: 15, 10
Losses: 11, 5, 1
Draws: 1
MVPs: 4
Mod/Co-mod: 18

I always have a limited access to forum on weekends.

Chris is me

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #540 on: June 02, 2018, 09:52:30 am »

Soothsayer/Donate

The T1 Donate is particularly relevant with junkers that you want in spite of Donate (Cultist, Soothsayer, etc) since you are already likely to Donate again anyway.

bug me on discord

they/them

singletee

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: singletee
  • Gold, Silver, Copper, Let's Jam!
  • Respect: +1606
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: June 02, 2018, 10:39:53 am »
+1

Soothsayer/Donate

Unless you opened $2

In that case you can buy Soothsayer turn 2, Donate turn 3.

Cuzz

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Cuzz
  • Respect: +1018
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: June 12, 2018, 01:19:10 am »

Governor + Aqueduct

Aqueduct usually doesn't come into play that much, since who buys Silver and Gold these days?  But in a Governor mirror, Aqueduct can become an easy way to take a significant surprise VP lead, at the cost of gaining an early green card. 

Every time you use Governor to gain a Gold, it also distributes a Silver, potentially adding 2VP to Aqueduct with each Governor play (and more in games with 3+ players).  If you time it right (e.g. after your opponent used one or two Governors for Golds on their turn), you can get a nice VP payout of 10 or 12 VP by playing several Governors for Golds and then buying or remodeling a treasure into a green card to take the Aqueduct points.  Your Governors don't mind the extra Golds so much, and the early VP swing will make it harder for your mirroring opponent to catch up.  This synergy is improved even more when there are desirable Action-Victory cards available such as Mill or Nobles.

Just re-discovered this, and it's quite nice!

William Howard Taft

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: June 20, 2018, 02:54:36 am »

Gear / Exorcist may be my new favorite opening. Exorcists always seem to collide with a handful of Coppers but Gear fixes that right up.

crj

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1644
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: June 20, 2018, 08:54:57 am »
+1

Hmm. Gear helps if you draw Estates but not Exorcist (save an Estate), Exorcist but not Estates (save Exorcist) or even when you draw an Exorcist dead with Gear (save Exorcist and an Estate). That's significantly better than alternatives such as Haven or Save. Nice!

chipperMDW

• Duke
  • Respect: +813
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: June 20, 2018, 10:27:11 am »

or even when you draw an Exorcist dead with Gear (save Exorcist and an Estate)

What would it mean to draw a Night card dead?

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jack Rudd
  • Respect: +1379
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: June 20, 2018, 10:29:42 am »

In the case of Exorcist, typically drawing it with only 0-cost cards.

(More generally, drawing it when there is nothing useful for it to do. Similar to drawing Moneylender with no Copper.)
Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

Dingan

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Dingan
  • Respect: +1728
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #547 on: June 20, 2018, 10:38:32 am »

Gear / Exorcist may be my new favorite opening. Exorcists always seem to collide with a handful of Coppers but Gear fixes that right up.
However note that Gear is not the greatest Imp or Ghost target. Imp doesn't like Gear if you already have one from the previous turn. And if you Ghost a Gear and set any cards aside, the Ghost misses a turn (right?).

William Howard Taft

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: June 20, 2018, 11:43:47 am »

I meant that because Night cards can't be drawn dead, it's often better than opening Gear + terminal action. With Gear + terminal action you have to set the terminal aside and play it next turn. With Exorcist, it's likely to line up with Estate right away and if it doesn't you can just set your Estates aside for the next turn.

Of course you'll still probably set the Exorcist aside if Gear draws it with 5 Coppers, but buying a $5 and guaranteeing a Wisp on your next turn is better than buying Silver, trashing the Copper with Exorcist for no benefit, and having to wait to draw it again. Copper is pretty useful in the early game, especially if you've quickly turned all 3 Estates into Wisps.

Chris is me

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: June 20, 2018, 11:59:04 am »

However note that Gear is not the greatest Imp or Ghost target. Imp doesn't like Gear if you already have one from the previous turn. And if you Ghost a Gear and set any cards aside, the Ghost misses a turn (right?).

You just don’t set aside anything with Gear and accept the 9 card starting hand. Since it’s optional it’s a fine Ghost Target. You almost certainly draw another Gear which can set aside two good cards for the “down turn”.

bug me on discord

they/them
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 45  All

Page created in 0.073 seconds with 21 queries.