Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 45  All

Author Topic: Neat card interactions that were useful in the game you found them in.  (Read 262189 times)

jomini

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +766
    • View Profile
Re: Neat card interactions that were useful in the game you found them in.
« Reply #400 on: February 28, 2018, 08:53:14 am »
+4

Stonemason + Capital

Have engine with 3 Golds, no +buy, overdraw. Buy three Masons. Mason three golds into 6 Capitals generating $36 and 7 buys.

Timing is fun too, they buy a province, you buy a province, they buy a province, you buy Masons, they scratch their head then buy a province, you buy the rest of the provinces. If they built out to the typical double province engine, you can let them buy two, get masons, watch them buy two more, and then pile out with a 2 estate win.

You can also opt for more golds (7 provinces with 4 gold) or burning a $4 (bringing your total to the magical $40) if you use Mason & overbuy to build your engine.

You can also mill Prov -> Duchy or burn Capitals -> estates if you spike a huge lead, but cannot end the game. 3-piling the turn after is not too hard as you can gain six <$4 cards.

You also do not care about debt in the slightest, so feel free to spike debt whenever convenient once you have the Masons ... bid 40 on the Pass, get the $8 duchy, take a spare Overlord .... whatever, your deck is fully dead to $ so prepare for chapter 7 in style.

Aleimon Thimble

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Aleimon Thimble
  • Respect: +711
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: February 28, 2018, 11:10:31 am »
+5

Trading Post + Conquest

Conquest is often not that great as a source of Alt-VP in engines because it floods your deck with Silver. Trading Post can trash surplus Silvers AND gain more Silvers to boost the amount of points a Conquest gives you.

Just managed to overcome a 6-2 Province deficit with it. My penultimate turn involved playing Trading Post 3 times, followed by buying 4 Conquests for 5, 7, 9 and 11 points.
[...] The God of heaven has given you Dominion [...] (Daniel 2:37)

weesh

• Conspirator
  • MOAR MAGPIES
  • Respect: +351
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: March 13, 2018, 05:22:12 pm »
+2

Chariot Race + Counsel Room
counsel room to get the expensive card off of an opponent's deck (province, in this case), so you can (hopefully) win the rest of the chariot races.

Cave-o-sapien

• Jester
  • Respect: +1675
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: March 13, 2018, 05:28:34 pm »
+2

counsel room to get the expensive card off of an opponent's deck (province, in this case), so you can (hopefully) win the rest of the chariot races.

Margrave is another way I've seen this done.

Chase Adolphson

• Conspirator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chase Adolphson
  • I love dominion!
  • Respect: +130
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: March 13, 2018, 07:11:02 pm »
+1

Margrave is another way I've seen this done.

But it could also get their cheap card off the top of their deck.
I'm glad to be talking with people that like dominion as well.

weesh

• Conspirator
  • MOAR MAGPIES
    • View Profile
« Reply #405 on: March 13, 2018, 07:40:00 pm »
+1

The first chariot race tells you whats on top, then you can clear it with counsel room if it is expensive for additional chariot races.

Chase Adolphson

• Conspirator
  • I love dominion!
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: March 13, 2018, 08:39:37 pm »

The first chariot race tells you whats on top, then you can clear it with counsel room if it is expensive for additional chariot races.

I like that idea

weesh

• Conspirator
  • MOAR MAGPIES
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: March 19, 2018, 03:06:16 pm »
+2

just had a game with the settlers/bustling village stack and lots of discard.

These cards have always felt so lackluster to me, especially late game when you draw your deck.  But if you have cards that discard (druid with wind's gift in this case), and your opponents are making you discard (legionary), you can majorly mitigate the discard by discarding coppers or settlers as appropriate.  Even LATE into the game, when I had no coppers remaining, and I was fully drawing my deck every turn, I got value out of the combo.

tim17

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +276
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: March 21, 2018, 04:25:04 am »
+2

Raze + Miser is fairly nice, it plays a little like a poor man's jack + bonfire (pun intended). Raze provides nonterminal trashing of estates with cycling to help you get your misers to 7 or 8 quickly. After that, raze can help you find your misers (and possibly mill provinces to accelerate the endgame). I played a game the other day where I bought 14 cards over 17 turns: 2 razes, 2 misers, 2 squires, and 8 provinces (I trashed 4 along the way, I could have trashed fewer if I needed to be less conservative). Probably it's not going to outpace a reasonably good engine, but I'd expect it to beat most money strategies.

William Howard Taft

• Bishop
  • Respect: +144
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: March 21, 2018, 02:03:31 pm »
+3

just had a game with the settlers/bustling village stack and lots of discard.

These cards have always felt so lackluster to me, especially late game when you draw your deck.  But if you have cards that discard (druid with wind's gift in this case), and your opponents are making you discard (legionary), you can majorly mitigate the discard by discarding coppers or settlers as appropriate.  Even LATE into the game, when I had no coppers remaining, and I was fully drawing my deck every turn, I got value out of the combo.

Just played a game where Dungeon made Settlers/Bustling Village similarly beastly. They also enabled Leprechaun for easy Wish-gaining.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 02:07:24 pm by William Howard Taft »

Triumph44

• Salvager
  • Respect: +48
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: March 22, 2018, 07:49:08 pm »

Summon/Develop

If there's a 7-cost card in the Supply, if you can manage to get 5 money consistently, you can get rather consistent Province gaining by smashing a 5 to stick a 6/4 on your deck then Summon a Develop to smash the 6 into a 7/5 next turn and so on.  If that 5 is spammable money or some sort of sifting (in my case, there was Storyteller and I had gone Jack early - something like Apprentice might also work), this thing can get pretty powerful pretty fast.

I guess this will be pretty rarely great since 7 cost cards are usually great on their own, but this was a rare game that had no real Copper trashing and no + Action card.

crj

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1644
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: March 22, 2018, 08:00:28 pm »

Isn't it easier to build a deck that can draw the Develops you already have than to build a deck that can consistently hit $5 to Summon new ones?

Triumph44

• Salvager
  • Respect: +48
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: March 22, 2018, 08:52:55 pm »

Isn't it easier to build a deck that can draw the Develops you already have than to build a deck that can consistently hit $5 to Summon new ones?

Once you get enough Develops in your deck, yeah, but given the Kingdom I didn't want to Develop any coppers (because that would take forever), and I didn't want to Develop any 3s (because there was no playable 2).  I had forgotten that there actually was + action (Farming Village) but no +buys and the only real draw was Storyteller, which without Copper trashing is often more of a sifter than a drawer.  Jack was a gainer that definitely helped mitigate the siftiness of a Coppered Storyteller, but yeah, it was hard to build this one from the ground up with Develop, IMO.

Summon/Develop just built on itself well for a shuffle or two, I think I did it 4 times and then just rolled with the Develops I had.

Chase Adolphson

• Conspirator
  • I love dominion!
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: March 22, 2018, 11:27:39 pm »

Once you get enough Develops in your deck, yeah, but given the Kingdom I didn't want to Develop any coppers (because that would take forever), and I didn't want to Develop any 3s (because there was no playable 2).  I had forgotten that there actually was + action (Farming Village) but no +buys and the only real draw was Storyteller, which without Copper trashing is often more of a sifter than a drawer.  Jack was a gainer that definitely helped mitigate the siftiness of a Coppered Storyteller, but yeah, it was hard to build this one from the ground up with Develop, IMO.

Summon/Develop just built on itself well for a shuffle or two, I think I did it 4 times and then just rolled with the Develops I had.

Also storyteller gives +action

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: March 22, 2018, 11:31:35 pm »
+1

I played a Necromancer as an Overlord as a Necromancer as a Sacred Grove.

ConMan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1705
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: March 22, 2018, 11:55:03 pm »

That's neat, but why were any of the additional steps necessary?

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: March 23, 2018, 01:16:40 am »
+7

That's neat, but why were any of the additional steps necessary?
They weren't  ;D

crj

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1644
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: March 23, 2018, 12:10:58 pm »

It must be pretty rare for an Overlord to end up in the trash. Really bad luck for someone with Locusts?

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: March 23, 2018, 12:20:40 pm »
+11

It must be pretty rare for an Overlord to end up in the trash. Really bad luck for someone with Locusts?

Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

weesh

• Conspirator
  • MOAR MAGPIES
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: March 23, 2018, 03:43:36 pm »
+2

It's a necromancer game, so blindly playing zombie mason?  usually it's ok to blind zombie mason because the vast majority of the cards in your deck you would be happy with a card that costs one more. if you'd already used the zombie spy, I'd be tempted to zombie mason if i had nothing better to do, even if there was a 10% chance of hitting my overlord.

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #420 on: March 23, 2018, 06:42:44 pm »
+3

It's a necromancer game, so blindly playing zombie mason?  usually it's ok to blind zombie mason because the vast majority of the cards in your deck you would be happy with a card that costs one more. if you'd already used the zombie spy, I'd be tempted to zombie mason if i had nothing better to do, even if there was a 10% chance of hitting my overlord.
Correct. And when you hit Overlord with zombie mason, you can just replace it with another Overlord, so it just makes Necromancers stronger.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: March 24, 2018, 03:45:02 pm »
+2

Correct. And when you hit Overlord with zombie mason, you can just replace it with another Overlord, so it just makes Necromancers stronger.

And then you can play Overlord, playing it as Band of Misfits, playing it as Necromancer, playing an Overlord in the trash, playing it as Band of Misfits, playing it as Necromancer, playing a Zombie in the trash.

Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Cave-o-sapien

• Jester
  • Respect: +1675
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: March 24, 2018, 05:20:05 pm »
+4

Summon->Armory->Cemetery on 5/2 Open

This was a really, really good start.

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Commodore Chuckles
  • Respect: +1971
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: March 24, 2018, 06:40:42 pm »
+3

Summon->Armory->Cemetery on 5/2 Open

This was a really, really good start.

Was it also a Shelters game, letting you discard Necropolis when you trashed Haunted Mirror to gain a ghost on turn 2, then remove the dead Cemetery from the top of your deck when you trashed Overgrown Estate?

Probably not, since you would have mentioned that, but it would have made it even better.

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: March 25, 2018, 05:20:02 pm »
+5

Crypt/Raider - Set aside your coppers so your Raider's attack will be stronger than a Cutpurse.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 45  All

Page created in 0.06 seconds with 21 queries.