Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 45  All

Author Topic: Neat card interactions that were useful in the game you found them in.  (Read 262296 times)

Omastar68

• Thief
  • Shuffle iT Username: Omastar68
  • Respect: +43
    • View Profile
Re: Neat card interactions that were useful in the game you found them in.
« Reply #250 on: September 22, 2017, 04:28:09 pm »
+1

Villa + Pathfinding(or Training. Probably not Seaway or Lost Arts tho)

Buy a Villa, then play it and get a card. Often you can buy many Villas in a turn, and that card helps you do something w/ them if u already have enough actions. Plus if Villa is drawing it will never slow you down, Training helps but then it's just a Festival and those can slow you down sometimes.

weesh

• Conspirator
  • MOAR MAGPIES
  • Respect: +351
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: September 22, 2017, 06:41:50 pm »
+1

Villa + Pathfinding

Isn't almost every village that naturally has +1 card going to be crazier with +2 cards than villa will have with +1 card?

My favorite pathfinding target is magpie, because it helps you get more magpies, spikes you up to 8 without needing to fill your deck with early treasure, and helps your engine become more resilient in the face of the treasure you do have. 
« Last Edit: September 22, 2017, 06:44:43 pm by weesh »

Gazbag

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gazbag
  • Respect: +1003
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: September 22, 2017, 07:06:59 pm »
+3

Miser + Fountain

Miser lets you "Trash" coppers with them still counting towards fountain.

gloures

• Conspirator
  • Shuffle iT Username: gloures
  • Respect: +257
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: September 23, 2017, 01:22:07 am »
+3

Villa + Pathfinding

Isn't almost every village that naturally has +1 card going to be crazier with +2 cards than villa will have with +1 card?

My favorite pathfinding target is magpie, because it helps you get more magpies, spikes you up to 8 without needing to fill your deck with early treasure, and helps your engine become more resilient in the face of the treasure you do have.

While you're generally right, I'd say Villa is a really good Pathfinding target, because in most Villa games you end up overbuying Villas to allow all the crazy magic it does, and after they're gone the fact that they don't draw hurts your deck a lot...

ackmondual

• Witch
  • Respect: +294
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: September 24, 2017, 11:35:15 pm »
+4

Ritual + Rats
Rats trims your deck.  Buy Ritual on a Rats to get rid of it for VP (nice thing being Rats can't trash itself).  Use existing Rats to Trash the Curses you're getting from Ritual.
Village, +2 Actions.  Village, +3 Actions.  Village, +4 Actions.  Village, +5 Actions.  Village, +6 Actions.  Village, +7 Actions.  Workers Village, +2 Buys, +8 Actions.  End Action Phase.  No Treasures to play.  No buy.  No Night cards to play

KingPeter

• Baron
  • Shuffle iT Username: KingPeter
  • When in doubt, engine
  • Respect: +121
    • View Profile
« Reply #255 on: September 25, 2017, 10:14:54 pm »
+7

My opponent is currently making use of Stonemason / Grand Market.  Have $8 on the table, buy Stonemason, and pick of two GMs, bypassing the Copper restriction.

sorawotobu

• Spy
  • Respect: +140
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: September 26, 2017, 07:13:14 am »
+2

Ritual + Rats
Rats trims your deck.

No it doesn't.

gloures

• Conspirator
  • Shuffle iT Username: gloures
  • Respect: +257
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: September 27, 2017, 02:10:03 am »
+1

Ritual + Rats
Rats trims your deck.

No it doesn't.

It does after you get all 20 of them...  :P

In a more useful note I think  Ritual + Rats can work, but it would need support, probably another trasher that can trash excess rats
« Last Edit: September 27, 2017, 02:12:47 am by gloures »

aku_chi

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: aku chi
  • Respect: +1435
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: September 28, 2017, 08:49:52 am »
+12

Secret Passage + Loan

In a game with no way to trash Estates and limited draw, Secret Passage and Loan were a big synergy.  I used the Secret Passages to make sure Loan hit a Copper and skipped over a bunch of green.  After a few turns, Loan was able to skip over all my green.  And once I ran out of Copper, I could bottom-deck all my green and skip past it when I played Loan.

Cave-o-sapien

• Jester
  • Respect: +1675
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: September 28, 2017, 12:18:16 pm »
+1

Secret Passage + Loan

In a game with no way to trash Estates and limited draw, Secret Passage and Loan were a big synergy.  I used the Secret Passages to make sure Loan hit a Copper and skipped over a bunch of green.  After a few turns, Loan was able to skip over all my green.  And once I ran out of Copper, I could bottom-deck all my green and skip past it when I played Loan.

Oooh, I really like this. I mean, setting up Loan to hit Copper is obvious, but setting it up to also skip green is expanding brain stuff. It would make a great addition to the "Value of Loan" article.

crj

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1644
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: September 28, 2017, 02:36:48 pm »
+3

Ritual + Rats
Rats trims your deck.  Buy Ritual on a Rats to get rid of it for VP (nice thing being Rats can't trash itself).  Use existing Rats to Trash the Curses you're getting from Ritual.
It strikes me the tricky part of that is affording the $4 to buy a Ritual when your deck is full of Rats?

Deadlock39

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1757
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: September 28, 2017, 02:48:06 pm »

Secret Passage + Loan

See also Farming Village instead of Loan for the green skipping feature.

aku_chi

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: aku chi
  • Respect: +1435
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: September 28, 2017, 04:36:09 pm »
+3

Alms + Workshop/Ironworks/Armory/Duplicate + Silk Road/Gardens

Alms can speed up any rush featuring a gainer and source of VP that cost <= $4.  With Alms and the gainer, you never play treasures and gain 2 cards per turn (potentially more with Ironworks).  Open with two copies of the gainer, and then hope to gain 2 cards each turn for the rest of the game.  Assuming you miss no more than twice (a reasonable assumption if you grab the gainers first), it only takes 15 turns to empty the gainer, VP, and Estate piles.  Silk Road is faster/stronger, because they will be worth 4 VP before the end, totaling 43 VP.  Gardens will only be worth 3 VP if you rush the piles as quickly as possible (totaling 35 VP), but you can reach 4 VP Gardens by turn 17 if you delay piling out.  If Battlefield or Labyrinth are in the kingdom, lesser VP piles like Tunnel or Island could be competitive.

I recently played a game with Alms + Workshop + Silk Road.  I didn't recognize the speed of this interaction and would have lost if my opponent had focused on getting more gainers earlier and hadn't been distracted by other kingdom cards.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2017, 04:39:07 pm by aku_chi »

ackmondual

• Witch
  • Respect: +294
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: September 29, 2017, 11:29:17 pm »
+1

Secret Passage + Loan

Navigator + Loan
Back when Seaside was the latest and greatest, an opponent used the former to set up all victory cards to be closest to the top of the deck, while the copper would be on the behind them.
Village, +2 Actions.  Village, +3 Actions.  Village, +4 Actions.  Village, +5 Actions.  Village, +6 Actions.  Village, +7 Actions.  Workers Village, +2 Buys, +8 Actions.  End Action Phase.  No Treasures to play.  No buy.  No Night cards to play

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Commodore Chuckles
  • Respect: +1971
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: September 30, 2017, 10:20:07 am »

Secret Passage + Loan

Navigator + Loan
Back when Seaside was the latest and greatest, an opponent used the former to set up all victory cards to be closest to the top of the deck, while the copper would be on the behind them.
Wasn't Prosperity after Seaside? Maybe I misunderstood what you meant by "latest."

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12847
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #265 on: September 30, 2017, 11:55:32 am »
+1

Secret Passage + Loan

Navigator + Loan
Wasn't Prosperity after Seaside? Maybe I misunderstood what you meant by "latest."

Yes, but he never said the opponent played a Loan after setting up the top of the deck as described.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Commodore Chuckles
  • Respect: +1971
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: September 30, 2017, 06:29:11 pm »
+1

Forum + Defiled Shrine
You can use Forum's +buy thing as an opportunity to buy a Curse.  Forum then helps you sift through the Shrine Curses you bought.

chipperMDW

• Duke
  • Respect: +813
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: September 30, 2017, 07:00:40 pm »

Secret Passage + Loan

Navigator + Loan

Yes, but he never said the opponent played a Loan after setting up the top of the deck as described.

Maybe he was using Adventurer to skip to the Copper. And maybe one of the victory cards was Harem, so it wouldn't have been guaranteed to skip them all anyway.

Águia Branca

• Steward
  • Respect: +53
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: October 01, 2017, 10:10:11 am »
+3

Alms + Workshop/Ironworks/Armory/Duplicate + Silk Road/Gardens
A while ago I had Alms + Bridge + Silk Road. I opened double Bridge, then got Estate + Duchy on Bridge turns and otherwise Silk Road. I think my Silk Roads were worth 5 by the end of the game.

grrgrrgrr

• Explorer
  • Respect: +415
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: October 02, 2017, 09:20:22 am »
+1

Fool's Gold+Guide+Storyteller+(+buy)

Storyteller and Fool's gold are amazing together, as one Fool's gold provides a 4 card draw (if you have played one before, which isn't unlikely). Guide ensures you have a Storyteller in your starting hand, and +buy is important for getting lots of Fool's golds (I used a Villa for that in that game).

Sauna/Avanto+Pathfinding

I think this is the best target for your +Card token. I actually used it in a Teacher game. My deck was somewhat slow and cripled by curses. However, as soon as I got my +Card token in this pile, my deck just exploded like crazy.

Fortress+Transmogrify+amassable $5 card (+Gainer)

Fortress and Transmogrify are absolutely ridiculous together. Gain a bunch of Transmogrifies (did I use a gainer?). Then, when you draw a Fortress with a good amount of transmogrifies on the mat, use all of them to get lots of copies of your favorite $5 card in your hand. This should lead to an amazing turn, and a substantially improved deck afterwards. About amassable $5  card, I used the combo with Minion, but I think the best candidate is Groundskeeper.

infangthief

• Duke
  • Shuffle iT Username: infangthief
  • Respect: +10000 (I wish)
  • Respect: +639
    • View Profile
« Reply #270 on: October 02, 2017, 09:31:39 am »
+4

Secret Passage + Loan

Navigator + Loan

Maybe he was using Adventurer to skip to the Copper. And maybe one of the victory cards was Harem, so it wouldn't have been guaranteed to skip them all anyway.
Or maybe Prosperity was released mid-turn, the adjoining table started a new game with Loan, someone on the other table played Masquerade and everyone got a little confused who was part of which game, so the original player we were talking about (remember him?) discovered a Loan in his hand and played it.

infangthief

• Duke
  • Shuffle iT Username: infangthief
  • Respect: +10000 (I wish)
  • Respect: +639
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: October 03, 2017, 01:59:28 am »
+3

Secret Passage + Loan

Navigator + Loan

Or maybe Prosperity was released mid-turn, the adjoining table started a new game with Loan, someone on the other table played Masquerade and everyone got a little confused who was part of which game, so the original player we were talking about (remember him?) discovered a Loan in his hand and played it.
Apologies for a double-post, but I've been thinking on this and I reckon it can be done another way, without a Masquerading accident:
So this guy, he takes a long break in the middle of his turn, about 6 years, and when they resume their turn, it's late 2016 and it is noticed that the only cards remaining in the Black Market deck are obsolete first edition ones (and the owner of the game shredded them all as soon as they became obsolete; the BM deck is using blue-backed randomisers), so there's nothing for it but to generate a new Black Market deck, which happens to contain Young Witch, and Loan happens to be picked as the bane. So now this guy, they can Mine a Copper into a Loan and, well, play the Loan.
Anyway, this guy's opponents were all very patient during the game, but as they pack up they're thinking maybe they'd do better to find opponents on isotropic in future.

sorawotobu

• Spy
  • Respect: +140
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: October 03, 2017, 10:43:26 am »
+3

I'm glad to see this thread properly derailed.

People probably know about Upgrade + Ferry already, letting you Upgrade Estates into Upgrades, trash Coppers, and then possible move the Ferry to cash in unwanted Upgrades for Golds. I just had a game in which there was also Merchant, so even my Coppers (and one Curse) turned into sweet things.
game# 7413836

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: October 05, 2017, 01:08:45 am »
+5

Has anyone mentioned Groundskeeper/Farmland?  Farmland lets you double dip groundskeeper points if you gain a victory card with it.

William Howard Taft

• Bishop
  • Respect: +144
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: October 05, 2017, 04:59:13 am »

I started playing Dominion with my girlfriend’s 2nd edition base set. I later received first edition as a gift so naturally I hate the removed cards because they’re stupid.

Feast works well with Market Square though.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 45  All

Page created in 0.11 seconds with 21 queries.