Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 45  All

Author Topic: Neat card interactions that were useful in the game you found them in.  (Read 262260 times)

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Cave-o-sapien

• Jester
  • Respect: +1675
    • View Profile
Re: Neat card interactions that were useful in the game you found them in.
« Reply #151 on: June 13, 2017, 02:57:43 pm »
+1

Played a RL game last night. Chose Lurker, Fortress and Tower. Did not realize the synergy. My wife immediately picked it up and used it to beat me.

I was thinking "what has watchtower to do with Lurker/Fortress" and "does he know that you can't topdeck a fortress you lurk" for a couple of minutes before realizing that it was Tower and not Watchtower.

Dominion is running out of things to put on cards.

http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=17009

"Sir Merchant's Castle Market"

Jfrisch

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +166
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: June 15, 2017, 10:46:41 pm »
+4

Inheritance, Quarry, Grandmarket

2 cost GMs starting on turn 8.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: June 16, 2017, 02:15:19 pm »

The Quarry + Inheritance sounds like anti-synergy to me. If you are going to be getting your Grand Markets by buying Estates, then Quarry isn't helping you there; it's just a Copper. If you are able to buy lots of real Grand Markets because you have Quarry in your deck, then Inheritance isn't making Grand Market that much easier to get. Though it does increase the supply of available Grand Markets by a lot.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

drsteelhammer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: drsteelhammer
  • Respect: +1470
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: June 16, 2017, 02:18:09 pm »
+8

The Quarry + Inheritance sounds like anti-synergy to me. If you are going to be getting your Grand Markets by buying Estates, then Quarry isn't helping you there; it's just a Copper. If you are able to buy lots of real Grand Markets because you have Quarry in your deck, then Inheritance isn't making Grand Market that much easier to get. Though it does increase the supply of available Grand Markets by a lot.

Actually, Quarry is helping you a lot there because Grand Markets cost more than
Join the Dominion League!

There is no bad shuffle that can not be surmounted by scorn.

Cave-o-sapien

• Jester
  • Respect: +1675
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: June 16, 2017, 02:32:04 pm »

Actually, Quarry is helping you a lot there because Grand Markets cost more than

I had a game with a similar trick: Highway + Ferry. Cost reducers are a nice combo with Events where the cost restriction is only enforced at the time of purchase.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: June 16, 2017, 02:50:59 pm »

Totally confused... if you have an Inheritance Token on Grand Market, then pseudo Grand Markets costs you $2, and Quarry doesn't reduce their cost.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Mic Qsenoch

• 2015 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4329
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: June 16, 2017, 03:11:53 pm »
+2

Totally confused... if you have an Inheritance Token on Grand Market, then pseudo Grand Markets costs you $2, and Quarry doesn't reduce their cost.

You can't Inherit the Grand Markets at all without some sort of cost reduction (Inheritance is restricted to cards costing up to $4).

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: June 16, 2017, 03:24:10 pm »

You can't Inherit the Grand Markets at all without some sort of cost reduction (Inheritance is restricted to cards costing up to $4).

I think the idea is that Quarry allows you to Inherit Grand Market in the first place.

Mic Qsenoch

• 2015 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4329
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: June 16, 2017, 03:25:50 pm »

I think the idea is that Quarry allows you to Inherit Grand Market in the first place.

I know, that's what I was explaining.

Jfrisch

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +166
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: June 16, 2017, 03:36:14 pm »

I guess my comment was too brief, but Mic and Steel have it right. Quarry was necessary to inherit GM in the firstplace. (Highway/bridge/bridgetroll would also have worked but would have been much slower)

Limetime

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: limetime
  • Respect: +1179
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: June 16, 2017, 11:03:42 pm »

I guess my comment was too brief, but Mic and Steel have it right. Quarry was necessary to inherit GM in the firstplace. (Highway/bridge/bridgetroll would also have worked but would have been much slower)
I think ferry is faster

singletee

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: singletee
  • Gold, Silver, Copper, Let's Jam!
  • Respect: +1606
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: June 16, 2017, 11:14:58 pm »
+2

Capital provides a nice way to rack up Basilica points.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: June 18, 2017, 10:31:03 am »
+1

AH!! Ok, of course. I don't think I've actually had an Inheritance game since before Adventures was released, so I didn't remember that part of the card.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: June 22, 2017, 04:41:26 pm »

Mint/Tomb.  (With no other good trashing)  Free points!

In this case, helped out by IGG.  Play three IGGs, play three Copper, buy Mint, 6 points and got rid of effectively Coppers.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

JW

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: JW
  • Respect: +1781
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: June 22, 2017, 06:02:56 pm »
+3

AH!! Ok, of course. I don't think I've actually had an Inheritance game since before Adventures was released, so I didn't remember that part of the card.

If you aren't seeing Inheritance on the online client, check your familiar cards settings. It was marked unfamiliar for everyone before it was implemented, and when it was implemented that setting was not changed (at least for me), so bot/unrated games won't have Inheritance unless you changed the setting.

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4434
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: June 24, 2017, 12:05:02 pm »

Orchard/Inheritance!

Orchard gives you 4 points for each Action you have three copies of; Inheritance creates a new Action that you probably already have three copies of.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: June 25, 2017, 11:05:37 am »

If you aren't seeing Inheritance on the online client, check your familiar cards settings. It was marked unfamiliar for everyone before it was implemented, and when it was implemented that setting was not changed (at least for me), so bot/unrated games won't have Inheritance unless you changed the setting.

Thanks, but I don't play online these days.

luser

• Tactician
  • Respect: +352
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: June 25, 2017, 02:58:32 pm »

Ferry/highway isn't synergy as most of time you want to ferry another card for draw etc. Highway is weak early, spending one turn to ferry and several on essentially peddlers is move that loses game. Its basic draw your deck first, then you could add highways as payload even without cost reduction.

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: June 25, 2017, 11:39:09 pm »
+4

Ferry/highway isn't synergy as most of time you want to ferry another card for draw etc. Highway is weak early, spending one turn to ferry and several on essentially peddlers is move that loses game. Its basic draw your deck first, then you could add highways as payload even without cost reduction.

this is horrendously simplified advice that will definitely make many, many people who follow it lose the split in games where the split really does matter
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

singletee

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: singletee
  • Gold, Silver, Copper, Let's Jam!
  • Respect: +1606
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: July 15, 2017, 04:07:53 am »
+15

Advance + Travelling Fair + Ruins

This is an especially good case of Advance + (easily accessible +Buy) + (cheap action).

Buy Traveling Fair on turn 1 and buy 2-3 Ruins, topdecking 1-2 (depending on how much you want to risk not hitting $2 next turn). Then on turn 2 you can Advance at least one Ruins into something good, also topdecking your buy(s) if you had the 2 Coppers to afford Travelling Fair again.

In the game I found this in, I had 2 Swamp Hags, 2 Forums, a Farming Village and 2 Nobles by the end of turn 5.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2017, 03:43:19 pm by singletee »

JacquesTheBard

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +249
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: July 15, 2017, 05:31:23 am »
+2

Has anyone mentioned Baron / Bonfire?

Bonfire trashes very quickly, with the downside that your deck has less overall economy and still has estates floating around. Baron in a deck that's been reduced mostly to estates is perfect for hitting $5 after you've successfully thinned with bonfire.

tim17

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +276
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: July 22, 2017, 02:59:56 am »
+3

Played a game the other day with University + Pillage. Pillage is known for being an underwhelming card, some of its drawbacks:

1. It's too slow. Once you buy pillage, you have to wait to draw and play it, and then you have to wait again until you draw the spoils to use the spoils it gives to generate actual economy from it.

2. The attack, while it can be good, sometimes doesn't do a whole lot.

3. It's usually not worth using a buy and 5 coins on.

University often helps address all of these. On a board with enough of an engine to draw the deck (not too hard to achieve with university), you can often play the pillage the same turn you gain it (and then maybe even play the spoils too if you have enough draw), speeding things up considerably (addressing point 1).

For the 2nd point, the attack can actually be quite powerful in this situation if you can use it to prevent your opponent from firing. If the engine consists of say university for actions and some sort of terminal draw, then unless your opponent has at least 2 of each of these in hand, a pillage play means your opponent probably won't be able to kick off. This is nice, especially if you're playing pillage every turn (easier to do because of point 1).

For the 3rd point, well, you're just going to gain pillage with University. Probably your 5 universities are giving you plenty of gains of action cards so this is a pretty low cost.

The game I played had these two cards along with chapel and patrol and no other villages or draw (as well as no other coin from action cards). Pretty much the ideal situation for pillage being good, though I suspect that pillage and university still work well together even in somewhat less favorable circumstances.

Q

• Salvager
  • Respect: +9
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: July 23, 2017, 02:36:55 am »

The attack, while it can be good, sometimes doesn't do a whole lot.

For the 2nd point, the attack can actually be quite powerful in this situation if you can use it to prevent your opponent from firing.

The second claim is closer to the truth. Discarding the best card from hand is a nasty attack. But the benefical part of Pillage is not that brilliant. Absent gainers you rarely want more than one or two of those and use them to kick-start your economy, not to maintain it (which wouldn't work as you'd have to spend nearly all the coins you get from the two Spoils to buy another Pillage).

With gainers on the other hand (be it University, Artisan, Workshop variants plus Highway or trash-gainers like Lurker, Graverobber amdRogue) you don't have to spend 5 coins to get 6 one-shot coins which is why with such gainers Pillage can become the main payload in an engine.

teamlyle

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: La-Ya
  • Ah... German Hello?
  • Respect: +329
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: July 24, 2017, 09:50:30 pm »
+2

Has anyone mentioned Villa + draw to X? If your hand is Library-Copper-Copper-Copper-Copper, play 4 coppers to buy a villa, then play it and then library to draw 7 cards :D
"In your face." -Jacob
"Ooh. You just got burned." -Jack
"First place again, disciple!" -Ruikai
"Ugh... 399 cursors. Time to hack!" -Ben
"You gotta do your homework, dude!" -Yul
"Come on man, let the plat play." -The Plat
"It's nice to have a good 'in your face' every once in a while." -Jacob
"OBJECTION!!! The witness is being SUPER gross." -Phoenix Wright
"Milord, Inquisitor Fey sentences that burger to my stomach!" -Maya Fey
"Dude, I only had 4 cups of coffee this morning so I'm gonna crash." -Swi
"Okay, okay. My team name is: Team Lyle: the Advancing Armadillo." -Lyle
"I’m sorry Cedric, we just have to do what we have to do to get me to be a op." -Paul
"Well, I prefer loyal people. I don’t want anyone to be a La-Ya except for me." -La-Ya
"I don't play Monkey vs. Monkey. I'm too busy in pacifist mode, watching my buildings survive and thrive!" -Joshua
Lyle's mom: Are you guys going to play regular Dominion, or are you going to play cheat?
Lyle: Of course we're playing Cheat Dominion!
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 45  All

Page created in 0.065 seconds with 21 queries.