Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 45  All

Author Topic: Neat card interactions that were useful in the game you found them in.  (Read 262384 times)

luser

• Tactician
  • Respect: +352
    • View Profile
Re: Neat card interactions that were useful in the game you found them in.
« Reply #100 on: April 13, 2017, 11:59:59 am »
+4

Finally managed to get working bureaucrat pin. It was game with forge, kc and storyteller. I could get 3 silvers each turn that turned into platinum with forge for storyteller draw.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 13, 2017, 01:24:40 pm »
+2

IGG-Triumph

You want to gain those Coppers on your turn anyway.  Might as well take 4-5 points for 5 Debt!

Honorable mention: Masterpiece-Triumph.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

jamfamsam

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: jamfamsam
  • Respect: +1214
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 24, 2017, 07:51:08 pm »
+11

Alms-Villa

Don't put your treasures in play. Pick up a free Villa. Put your treasures in play and buy something else.
"There is no extra charge for awesomeness..."

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4434
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 24, 2017, 11:02:23 pm »

Alms-Villa

Don't put your treasures in play. Pick up a free Villa. Put your treasures in play and buy something else.

Better than Borrow!

gloures

• Conspirator
  • Shuffle iT Username: gloures
  • Respect: +257
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 25, 2017, 12:13:46 am »
+2

Ill-Gotten Gains/Banquet

Coppers are actually quite decent already in your standard Ill-Gotten Gains/Duchy rush, and chances are youŽll be able to buy IGG in all your 10 starting turns, most engines would really struggle to get going under those conditions (specially if you are first player and give out two curses before the first shuffle)...

BBL

• Coppersmith
  • Respect: +91
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: April 25, 2017, 03:17:26 pm »

Mine & Royal Carriage on a Colony Board

Not sure, if I overrate colliding two 5s, but going from Silver to Platinum at Turn 6 still felt pretty nice, as well as turning all Coppers into Platinum over the course of the game.

Cave-o-sapien

• Jester
  • Respect: +1675
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 28, 2017, 12:31:38 pm »
+2

Alms-Villa

I just recently had a game with Villa + Poor House that was a variation on this. Play all treasures, buy Villa, play Villa + Poor House.

Cave-o-sapien

• Jester
  • Respect: +1675
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 28, 2017, 12:44:35 pm »
+12

Salvager+Alms+Bonfire

Salvage an Estate, play two coppers, buy Bonfire, trash the coppers, buy Alms and gain something useful.

It felt a little like I'd duct-taped together my own ersatz Chapel.

J Reggie

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: J Reggie
  • Respect: +1487
    • View Profile
    • Jeff Rosenthal Music
« Reply #108 on: April 30, 2017, 11:17:47 pm »

Ill-Gotten Gains/Banquet

Coppers are actually quite decent already in your standard Ill-Gotten Gains/Duchy rush, and chances are youŽll be able to buy IGG in all your 10 starting turns, most engines would really struggle to get going under those conditions (specially if you are first player and give out two curses before the first shuffle)...

I had a game with this. I'd go so far as to call it a combo. Cue Awaclus.

Derg17

• Bishop
  • Shuffle iT Username: Derg17
  • Respect: +72
    • View Profile
+1

City Quarter - Rats

There was no other trashing. It's always fun to find a strong rats board.
twitch.tv/derg17
My youtube channel

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (Ž。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12848
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama

Ill-Gotten Gains/Banquet

It's a rush, not a combo.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4434
    • View Profile
+4

Ill-Gotten Gains/Banquet

trivialknot

• Jester
  • Respect: +1171
    • View Profile
+1

Treasure Map / Triumph is a known synergy.  Play treasure maps, buy Triumph, get 5 points while easily paying off debt the next turn.

Well, I played a game with Treasure Map, Triumph, and Traveling Fair.  I spent several turns alternating between playing Treasure Maps and buying Triumph, and buying Traveling Fair/double T-map.  To cap it all off, Baker let me open double T-map.  Of course, I still lost.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (Ž。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama

Ill-Gotten Gains/Banquet

I recently played a game with this very cool combo in it! Smithy+Silver!
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile
+4

Ill-Gotten Gains/Banquet

Please keep discussions of comboes out of this thread if you can. The scope of this thread was intentionally defined to try and prevent this discussion, just so we could focus on talking about neat ways cards interact with each other.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (Ž。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama

Please keep discussions of comboes out of this thread if you can. The scope of this thread was intentionally defined to try and prevent this discussion, just so we could focus on talking about neat ways cards interact with each other.

I thought this was a "Best Dominion moments" variant thread.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile

Alms-Villa

I only had to play a few Alms/Villa games before I never wanted to play another Alms/Villa game again.

4est

• Duke
  • Shuffle iT Username: 4est
  • Respect: +1454
    • View Profile
+9

Coin of the Realm + Storyteller

Coin of the Realm is an excellent source of cheap +Actions since you can call it exactly when you need it (for what's effectively +3 Actions since it doesn't use an action), but it suffers from two downsides: first, when they're not on your mat, they're effectively coppers and too many can clog your deck; secondly, you can't usually call it on the turn you play it since it's a Treasure that is usually played during your buy phase, which basically means you only get the +Actions effect every other turn. 

Storyteller resolves both of the above downsides beautifully.  First, it turns your CotRs into draw, and then it immediately puts them onto your Tavern Mat during your action phase so you can use them later during the same turn.  I recently used this interaction on a board without other +Actions to keep my Goons engine firing each turn. 

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile

Advance - Villa

This is pretty neat even outside of "win on turn 2" solutions.

Starting the turn with a bunch a bunch of terminals? Advance one into Villa, continue turn. Only $4 to spend and want a more expensive action? Buy Villa and Advance.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile

Advance - Villa

This is pretty neat even outside of "win on turn 2" solutions.

Starting the turn with a bunch a bunch of terminals? Advance one into Villa, continue turn. Only $4 to spend and want a more expensive action? Buy Villa and Advance.

You can't buy Villa and Advance (trashing Villa) on the same turn without a different source of +Buy.

(Remember what I said about "the game you found them in"...)
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

luser

• Tactician
  • Respect: +352
    • View Profile
+2

remake/advance/poor house is insane. With buy in board in makes getting lot of five cards easy.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2017, 04:52:51 am by luser »

4est

• Duke
    • View Profile
+4

Chariot Race + Secret Passage

Chariot Race has so much potential to be a fantastic source of VP: cheap, peddler-variant, and easily spammable, but its randomness makes it unreliable--paying $3 for what are often just plain cantrips half the time isn't so great.  There basically are two primary ways to make Chariot Race activate more consistently: A) have a higher average value deck than your opponent, or B) control what's on top of your deck. 

Secret Passage is tailor-made for controlling the top of your deck and activating your Chariot Races.  With Chariot Race in hand, playing Secret Passage allows you to drop the most expensive card in your hand on top, like a $5, a Gold, or a Province, to vastly increase your chances of getting the coin and VP.  Even better, you're happy buying lots of both cards since they're both non-terminal, and each pair can practically guarantee each of your Chariot Races are enabled.  I played game the other day where a single Gold was my expensive card that I could repeatedly drop back on top with each of my Secret Passages and redraw with each of my Chariot Races, generating 5-7 VP every single turn thereafter.  With another strong terminal attack to slow your opponent down (in my game it was Ghost Ship), you can pile the Secret Passages and Chariot Races and then theoretically earn points almost infinitely without ever greening. 

J Reggie

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: J Reggie
  • Respect: +1487
    • View Profile
    • Jeff Rosenthal Music

But doesn't Ghost Ship kind of anti-synergize with Chariot Race?

4est

• Duke
    • View Profile

But doesn't Ghost Ship kind of anti-synergize with Chariot Race?

At least in that particular game, I'd always play Ghost Ship last, after all my other actions, so my opponent couldn't put something expensive on top to try and stop my Chariot Races.  But really, which specific terminal attack you use isn't all that important here, it's just another component that can supplement the Chariot Race/Secret Passage synergy to slow them down in building up a higher cost average deck.  Even without an attack, Chariot Race/Secret Passage seems like it can be pretty good interaction on its own. 

drsteelhammer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: drsteelhammer
  • Respect: +1470
    • View Profile

On a board with no village or non terminal draw, Chariot race might slightly mitigate the downside of the attack, but definitely not antisynergize.
Join the Dominion League!

There is no bad shuffle that can not be surmounted by scorn.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 45  All

Page created in 0.139 seconds with 21 queries.