Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 45  All

Author Topic: Neat card interactions that were useful in the game you found them in.  (Read 262272 times)

Schneau

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Schneau
  • Respect: +1461
    • View Profile
    • Rainwave
Re: Neat card interactions that were useful in the game you found them in.
« Reply #75 on: March 16, 2017, 11:35:38 pm »

Masterpiece + Triumph

Get a mega turn where you have a ton of money and 2 buys. Get tons of Silvers and 1VP for each one.

Cuzz

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Cuzz
  • Respect: +1018
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 17, 2017, 07:42:41 pm »
+8

Messenger + Castles

If you're going for Castles, can gain the first couple for free w/Messenger without giving your opponent anything.

ackmondual

• Witch
  • Respect: +294
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 19, 2017, 04:57:20 am »

Embassy + Bandit Fort
Turn $5 into not 3pts for you (when Duchies are gone), but -2pts for everyone else.

Ambassador + Bandit Fort
4 to 6pt swing between you and each player.
Village, +2 Actions.  Village, +3 Actions.  Village, +4 Actions.  Village, +5 Actions.  Village, +6 Actions.  Village, +7 Actions.  Workers Village, +2 Buys, +8 Actions.  End Action Phase.  No Treasures to play.  No buy.  No Night cards to play

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4434
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 19, 2017, 09:30:04 pm »

Dungeon is a good counter for Rabble.

Erick648

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +628
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 23, 2017, 09:53:37 pm »

Grand Market + Ferry + Band of Misfits

What should I use to buy my first couple Grand Markets? How about Grand Market!

This board also featured Beggar + Triumph, which, with the Grand Markets, led to a pretty juicy last turn.
Duplicate duplicates Duplicates duplicate Duplicates duplicate.

Rene Descartes taught me to believe in myself.

How much Loot could a Looter loot if a Looter could loot Loot?

Eran of Arcadia

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +513
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 27, 2017, 11:27:34 am »
+1

Replacing Estates with Mills is fun.

But revealing Diplomat when someone else played Replace actually saved a couple hands for me, regardless of what they Replaced.

aku_chi

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: aku chi
  • Respect: +1435
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 28, 2017, 04:43:00 pm »
+12

Masquerade + Wolf Den

With Wolf Den, a single Masquerade play could net up to 15 VP!
  • Pass a singleton card (+3 VP)
  • Receive a duplicate card - which was singleton (+3 VP)
  • Trash a singleton card (+3 VP)
  • Opponent receives a singleton card (+3 VP)
  • Opponent passes a duplicate card - dropping them to singleton (+3 VP)
That particular scenario is unlikely to manifest, but you definitely need to be aware of big point swings when these two cards are in the kingdom.  I recently played a League match against tracer where Cultist was also present; Ruins definitely increased the likelihood of large VP swings from Masquerade plays.

ackmondual

• Witch
  • Respect: +294
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 28, 2017, 11:35:22 pm »
+15

Villa + Tactician
ACTION: Play as many cards as you can, leaving the Tactician in your hand
BUY: Play all Treasures.  Then buy a Villa

ACTION again: Play the Tactician.  If you have at least one other card in your hand you didn't/couldn't play (e.g. Victory card), you can play the Villa before the Tactician
BUY again: spend the rest of your coins

You got to play all of your actions cards and all of your Treasures, while getting +5 cards at the start of your next turn!
« Last Edit: March 28, 2017, 11:54:03 pm by ackmondual »
Village, +2 Actions.  Village, +3 Actions.  Village, +4 Actions.  Village, +5 Actions.  Village, +6 Actions.  Village, +7 Actions.  Workers Village, +2 Buys, +8 Actions.  End Action Phase.  No Treasures to play.  No buy.  No Night cards to play

4est

• Duke
  • Shuffle iT Username: 4est
  • Respect: +1454
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 30, 2017, 02:57:07 am »
+21

This isn't so much a neat interaction as it is a hilarious situation I'll probably never see again: Colony Dancing.

It was a Platinum/Colony board with Dominate; also Tomb, Sauna/Avanto, Crown, but without a readily usable source of + Buy (I think Spice Merchant and Ruins from Death Cart were the only possibilities?). 

We both went for Sauna/Avanto, mirroring almost identically, trashing down to overdrawing decks capable of hitting at least $14 every turn and then splitting the Dominates 3-3.  Then, with scores basically tied, we naturally followed the well-known Penultimate Dominate rule and started Colony Dancing.  We split the Colonies 3-3, and then started Duchy Dancing.  Both our decks started stalling out, with mine failing first, giving my opponent the victory, though it really could've gone either way.  Alas, I doubt I'll ever encounter such a bizarre, amusing mirror game. 

allanfieldhouse

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +374
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 30, 2017, 09:35:11 pm »
+5

Upgrade + Fortress + Donate.

Once you have two of those cards and one of the other (either way works, I think), you Donate. Next turn you can auto-pile the Upgrades.

Obviously this trick could technically work without Donate, but it's not really feasible to set it up early-game otherwise. In the game I saw this, there weren't really any other good 5's, so I put Seaway on Fortress and Upgraded all my Upgrades into Golds.

J Reggie

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: J Reggie
  • Respect: +1487
    • View Profile
    • Jeff Rosenthal Music
« Reply #85 on: March 31, 2017, 12:59:28 am »
+7

Diplomat + Borrow

Make sure your first Diplomat is always a village, even without discard attacks!  It's usually better to buy Borrow even if you don't need the coin, as long as you have a reasonable chance of drawing a Diplomat.

Sharajat

• Chancellor
  • Respect: +36
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 31, 2017, 11:40:10 am »
+7

Artificer+Highway

After five highways artificers are free.  That lets you play one to gain an artificer to the top of the deck.  Then you can just pile out the artificers, filling your deck with really good cantrips and potentially ending the game on the spot. 

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 31, 2017, 11:49:06 am »
+4

Masquerade + Wolf Den

That particular scenario is unlikely to manifest, but you definitely need to be aware of big point swings when these two cards are in the kingdom.  I recently played a League match against tracer where Cultist was also present; Ruins definitely increased the likelihood of large VP swings from Masquerade plays.

I saw some big VP swings like this while playtesting Empires and Intrigue 2nd Edition. Swindler is another harsh card in Wolf Den games; its maximum VP swing is smaller, but I think its average VP swing is greater.

aku_chi

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 01, 2017, 10:00:09 am »

City Quarter + Storeroom

Storeroom can hunt for your City Quarters, actions to pair with your City Quarters (via discard for cards), and then take advantage of overdraw from later City Quarters (via discard for coin).  This works best if there's another village available.

Possession + Harbinger

Assuming this is one of those boards where you buy a Possession, build up to single Province, and then start greening: Harbinger is one of the best support cards for Possession.  Even in a large deck with poor cycling, Harbinger can help you play your single Possession almost every turn.  In the game I encountered this, there was also Alchemist, and I had no desire to get a second Possession, because the Harbingers were finding my single copy so consistently.  Scheme would also work, of course.

Avin

• Spy
  • Respect: +99
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 03, 2017, 02:01:28 pm »
+4

Peasant + Royal Carriage

Or more specifically, Disciple. You can Disciple a Royal Carriage, gaining you a Royal Carriage, and immediately repeat the Disciple with that Royal Carriage. If you are drawing your deck, then this cost you nothing, since your disciple still gets played on any other card you had wanted it on, and you get a new Royal Carriage that you can use to double something else as well.

But if you have the peasant line then you might also have a Teacher token on the Royal Carriage as well. So Discipling the RC not only gains you a new Royal Carriage, but also doubles the effect of whatever token is there.

I'm sure this was an intended combo since they both are from Adventures but I only just noticed it.

aku_chi

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: April 04, 2017, 04:38:39 pm »

Masquerade + Market Square + Villa + Save

These four cards featured in one of the fastest money games I've played (sans Donate): 5 Provinces in 11 turns.  The sixth and final Province on turn 13.  It's hard to say which of Market Square, Villa, or Save had the stronger synergy with Masquerade.  It turned out that I never needed to buy Silver and I only bought one Gold.  I ended up with three Masquerades, two Market Squares, and two Villas, ~5-6 Gold, and ~3-4 Copper.  I probably didn't play optimally.

If there's a moral to the story, it is this: Masquerade with support can lead to really fast money strategies.

McGarnacle

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: McGarnacle
  • So, ya like doughnuts, eh?
  • Respect: +641
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 05, 2017, 10:19:09 am »

Masquerade + Wolf Den

I believe this is in one of the recommended kingdoms.
This is exactly the kind of deep analysis I come to f.ds for. 

Forum Mafia Record
Town 1/2 50%
Scum 0/0

McGarnacle

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: McGarnacle
  • So, ya like doughnuts, eh?
  • Respect: +641
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 05, 2017, 10:19:33 am »

Artificer+Highway

After five highways artificers are free.  That lets you play one to gain an artificer to the top of the deck.  Then you can just pile out the artificers, filling your deck with really good cantrips and potentially ending the game on the spot.

Yay Artificer!
This is exactly the kind of deep analysis I come to f.ds for. 

Forum Mafia Record
Town 1/2 50%
Scum 0/0

Skumpy

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: skumpy
  • Respect: +204
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 07, 2017, 03:48:21 am »

I kinda feel bad about posting a Donate combo, seeing as it combos with....well, everything. But so be it.

Donate + Poor House

On your first 3 turns, pick up 2 Poor Houses and a village, if possible.
Donate your starting deck on turn 4, and by turn 6 (at the latest), you'll have a debt-free 3-card deck producing $8. Groovy!
He is (and take this in a positive light Skumpy) eccentric, flamboyant and excessive at times. His posts are ones that cause people to look at him and say "huh?"

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 07, 2017, 08:33:24 am »
+2

This isn't like, great, but it was sort of novel. Someone playing me yesterday opened 5/2, buying Mandarin / Mandarin / Mandarin / City Quarter. Counting Necropolis, that made their deck full of economy and 1/3 Actions. Probably not the best move on 99% of boards.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

JThorne

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +604
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 07, 2017, 11:23:16 am »
+2

Donate + Poor House

Donate your starting deck on turn 4, and by turn 6 (at the latest), you'll have a debt-free 3-card deck producing $8. Groovy!

Well, at least until you buy your 4th Province, at which point it has a chance of stalling if you don't draw the village, and that chance goes up with each additional Province. Sure, it seems as though six or seven Provinces should win, but the deck is missing pile control. You can't end the game. With Donate on the board, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see that lose to an engine that could do something with Alt+VP and/or piles, or maybe even raw speed.

Poor House makes such fantastic engine economy with Donate and +Actions, what you should really be doing in a kingdom where they're present is figure out how MANY Provinces you want per turn, and that number is almost certain to be more than one. Assuming there's +buy. Which, if there is, almost guarantees some kind of Megaturn since the Poor Houses themselves are super-easy to pile with extra buys. Play what you're describing, and you're likely to see

Player 1: Province
Player 2: Stuff
Player 2: More stuff
Player 2: A lot more stuff
Player 2: The other four Provinces and a Duchy.

I gotta stop thinking about Donate. I'm drooling on my keyboard.

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 07, 2017, 11:56:16 am »

Honestly if you miss a Village or Poor House after Province 4, you can just buy another? It'll end the game soon enough to be viable a decent chunk of the time.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

Skumpy

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: skumpy
  • Respect: +204
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 07, 2017, 12:02:48 pm »

Donate + Poor House

Well, at least until you buy your 4th Province, at which point it has a chance of stalling if you don't draw the village, and that chance goes up with each additional Province. Sure, it seems as though six or seven Provinces should win, but the deck is missing pile control. You can't end the game. With Donate on the board, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see that lose to an engine that could do something with Alt+VP and/or piles, or maybe even raw speed.

Poor House makes such fantastic engine economy with Donate and +Actions, what you should really be doing in a kingdom where they're present is figure out how MANY Provinces you want per turn, and that number is almost certain to be more than one. Assuming there's +buy. Which, if there is, almost guarantees some kind of Megaturn since the Poor Houses themselves are super-easy to pile with extra buys. Play what you're describing, and you're likely to see

Player 2: Stuff
Player 2: More stuff
Player 2: A lot more stuff
Player 2: The other four Provinces and a Duchy.

I gotta stop thinking about Donate. I'm drooling on my keyboard.

Well, I never said what to do once you got there, just that you have a very good consistent payload for at least a couple of turns and COULD pick up a few Provinces early on. Absolutely it's probably best to build for a little longer, especially if there's plus buy. Reading back, I can understand why you inferred it that way. My bad.

In the game I played where I found this, there weren't any +buys on the board. It went something like 4 Ports/2 Poor houses on my first 4 turns, Donate on turn 5, Diplomat (which I think was the only draw) turn 6, maybe a province or 2 next, then realized I should get a Butcher to speed up the Province pile. By turn 12, my opponent (who admittedly didn't play the board too great, as they went for Moneylender as the only trashing) had one province, while I emptied out the other 7, keeping 4. Again, it might have gone very different if there was +buy...but there wasn't.

He is (and take this in a positive light Skumpy) eccentric, flamboyant and excessive at times. His posts are ones that cause people to look at him and say "huh?"

dedicateddan

• 2017 Dominion Online Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: dan brooks
  • Respect: +1058
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 10, 2017, 01:18:56 pm »
+1

When you inherit Border Village, you can Border Village for Estate (Border Village)

The estate normally gains a 0-1 cost card. But if you reduce its cost to 0, you gain nothing

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 13, 2017, 06:02:06 am »
+3

Beggar + Steward + Triumph + Tomb

Beggar gots lot of Triumph points. Steward trashed the coppers for Tomb points. I lost this game though because I did not plan it out as well as I should have.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2017, 06:04:33 am by Beyond Awesome »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 45  All

Page created in 0.065 seconds with 21 queries.