Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 45  All

Author Topic: Neat card interactions that were useful in the game you found them in.  (Read 262300 times)

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile
+13

PPE: Interactions between landscapes and/or cards are also allowed

So uh, there's this other thread, right? Where people post when they find a card interaction that seems novel. 90% of the posts in that thread are people who wish to share what they found immediately after playing a game online. Tons of things in that thread are useful, but often they involve more than two cards, so we're subjected to completely endless and infuriating debate every single time someone wants to share a card interaction about whether or not it is "common enough" to be "potentially useful". It's funny, because that thread was made to avoid discussions about "combos" since that word itself has a loaded definition which was endlessly debated. But I digress.

So here is the criteria for posting in this thread:
1. Post interactions between multiple cards here which result in novel, interesting, and/or particularly effective synergy.
2. Post interactions between cards that you have observed, in an actual game of Dominion at least once. If it happened at least once, that's cool. If it's a purely theoretical 8 card combo, maybe not?

As long as those criteria are met, it can be posted. I mean really, I'm not going to breathe down anyone's neck rigorously checking this, but at some point in the future someone is going to cite this post as a reason something shouldn't get posted, so I'm going out of my way to be inclusive here.

Maybe, finally, with this almost identical thread with a very slightly different topic, we won't have pages and pages of people derailing with their tired arguments about how common or rare something is, as if we all always play full random games and as if we all only use that thread for practical advice and not just discussion. Or if you think this whole thing is silly and doesn't deserve a splinter topic, we can stop derailing the existing thread? You can't have it both ways. Either the content doesn't belong in the other thread, so we need a new one for that content; or it does belong in the other thread and we should stop tolerating constant derailment.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2017, 02:57:11 pm by Chris is me »
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

Deadlock39

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1757
    • View Profile
Re: Neat card interactions that were useful in the game you found them in.
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2017, 10:57:55 am »
+1

I played a few games the other day with the selection set of Empires plus the new second edition cards. We got Charm, Royal Blacksmith, and City Quarter. It was Cwazy.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2017, 11:04:01 am »
+1

I played a few games the other day with the selection set of Empires plus the new second edition cards. We got Charm, Royal Blacksmith, and City Quarter. It was Cwazy.

I will often deliberately put those cards in a game together because I enjoy that interaction.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

UmbrageOfSnow

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: Umbrageofsnow
  • Respect: +301
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2017, 11:52:26 am »
+2

I will often deliberately put those cards in a game together because I enjoy that interaction.

I never play random games at home, we deliberately make kingdoms with interesting interactions in them and play those, usually three games in a row with the same kingdom.  That thread, and I guess this one, are a good source to mine for ideas.

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jack Rudd
  • Respect: +1379
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2017, 12:59:55 pm »
+1

I once had a game on Isotropic with Governor, Black Market and Minion in it. That made for an amusing variant on the old Council Room - Militia decks we all know and love.
Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3676
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2017, 01:02:20 pm »
+6

I had a donut with maple syrup and bacon as the topping while playing Dominion. Does that count?  ;)
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Jacob marley

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jacob Marley
  • Respect: +139
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2017, 06:54:21 pm »
+4

I had a donut with maple syrup and bacon as the topping while playing Dominion. Does that count?  ;)

Only if you used the maple syrup to covertly stick cards to the palm of your hand to be slipped back into play at opportune moments...

Schneau

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Schneau
  • Respect: +1461
    • View Profile
    • Rainwave
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2017, 08:55:16 am »

In the very first game I played with Lurker, I got Apprentice out of the Black Market deck. This ended up being a cool combo, since I could trash my expensive actions for big card draw, and get them back later that turn. I had a few Artisans, which was great for a 6-card draw.

That game made me think that Lurker should probably be in the top 5 or 7 $2 cards.

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2017, 09:05:02 am »
+1

I had a game where I kept trashing that Castle that is an action card where if you trash it, you can a castle. (Not sure what the name is.)

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12847
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2017, 09:16:17 am »

I had a game where I kept trashing that Castle that is an action card where if you trash it, you can a castle. (Not sure what the name is.)

How do you can a castle?
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Aleimon Thimble

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Aleimon Thimble
  • Respect: +711
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2017, 09:28:10 am »
+1

How do you can a castle?

You accidentally.
[...] The God of heaven has given you Dominion [...] (Daniel 2:37)

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2017, 10:23:32 am »

How do you can a castle?

n00b

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2982
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2017, 10:25:30 am »
+15

You just need a big enough can or a really Small Castle.

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2017, 10:27:12 am »

Are you a Castlecan or a castlecannot?

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
  • Respect: +4085
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2017, 10:28:35 am »
+17

How do you can a castle?

Chris is me

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2017, 01:48:46 pm »
+1

In the very first game I played with Lurker, I got Apprentice out of the Black Market deck. This ended up being a cool combo, since I could trash my expensive actions for big card draw, and get them back later that turn. I had a few Artisans, which was great for a 6-card draw.

That game made me think that Lurker should probably be in the top 5 or 7 $2 cards.

Apprentice / Lurker may be a legitimate combo, even more so than most trash-for-benefit + Lurker combos. That just seems super powerful, and completely nonterminal at that.

bug me on discord

they/them

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2017, 02:13:49 pm »

Apprentice / Lurker may be a legitimate combo, even more so than most trash-for-benefit + Lurker combos. That just seems super powerful, and completely nonterminal at that.

Lurker works great with any tfb card.  "I could trash my Market and draw 5 cards, but then I won't have my Market anymore... oh, wait, I can Lurker it back!"  :D
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

4est

• Duke
  • Shuffle iT Username: 4est
  • Respect: +1454
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2017, 02:26:49 pm »
+5

Even without the trash-for-benefit synergies like Apprentice and fun on-trash tricks (e.g. Fortress, Cultist), I think Lurker might be the strongest $2-cost engine enabler aside from Chapel and the Travellers (Yes, I think it's better than Stonemason).  While it's of course weak when played by itself, in pairs and multiples, Lurker becomes a powerhouse gainer, like an Ironworks that can gain anything.  Unlike Stonemason, Lurker can eliminate the need for Treasures or Buys altogether when engine building--you just need enough trashing or sifting to connect your Lurker pairs, and you can gain all your engine components without ever needing coin. 

Later in the game, Lurker changes function from a gainer to a drainer.  Especially for deck-drawing engines, winning the Lurker split can give you a tremendous amount of pile control over your opponent--the ability to instantly empty a Supply pile of six or seven cards while saving your Buys for Victory cards can give you powerful authority to determine exactly when the game ends.

Chris is me

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2017, 02:43:37 pm »
+1

Lurker works great with any tfb card.  "I could trash my Market and draw 5 cards, but then I won't have my Market anymore... oh, wait, I can Lurker it back!"  :D

The particular strength of the synergy with Apprentice is that both cards are nonterminal, so you don't need any external support to make them work. As opposed to Salvager, Butcher, Graverobber, etc.

Plus nonterminal draw is just so great and you don't even need to line the cards up.

bug me on discord

they/them

allanfieldhouse

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +374
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2017, 11:44:04 am »

So yeah, Lurker goes well with any TfB card, but I agree that Apprentice might be a special case. When you're "allowed" to trash any valuable action (including other Apprentices), you can instantly draw your whole deck every turn non-terminally. That's amazing. A couple Apprentices plus some fodder is like having the whole pile of Labs (minus the reliability).

I've been really underwhelmed with Lurker in general when it takes 2 plays to gain a card. Any time it can gain a card every single play, it's amazing (hence the general synergy with all TfB cards).

humcalc216

• Salvager
  • Shuffle iT Username: humcalc216
  • Respect: +114
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2017, 01:35:34 pm »
+5

Other interesting Lurker interactions I've experienced:

Lurker/Border Village/TfB (in this case, Replace).  Gaining Border Villages out of the trash triggers their when-gain ability.

Lurker/Knights.  In an engine mirror playing these cards, it turns into a lengthy contest for who can end up with all of the Knights.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12847
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2017, 07:29:20 pm »
+1

Storyteller/Raid/Conquest was pretty neat.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

luser

• Tactician
  • Respect: +352
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2017, 02:43:37 pm »
+3

Just found that quest with some buy completely counters haunted woods. Sometimes you even get gold.

allanfieldhouse

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +374
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2017, 09:13:38 pm »
+4

Tactician + Baths. You weren't going to do anything on the turn you played Tac anyway, so here's 2 free points!

terminalCopper

• Explorer
  • Respect: +758
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2017, 05:05:02 pm »
+35

Pirate Ship + Lurker + bad opponent

Lurk a pirate ship, your opp. will likely "steal" it, and trash your coppers.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 45  All

Page created in 0.133 seconds with 21 queries.