Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 45  All

Author Topic: Neat card interactions that were useful in the game you found them in.  (Read 262301 times)

BraydonM

• Coppersmith
  • Shuffle iT Username: BraydonM
  • Respect: +57
    • View Profile
Re: Neat card interactions that were useful in the game you found them in.
« Reply #925 on: March 01, 2022, 12:30:19 pm »

If you have a watch tower in hand, Cache is a gold for 5$, which is often significantly worse than other things you could buy for 5$. It has to be a board where other 5$s are weak, and you have to have the watchtower in hand, and have exactly 5$, and then the cache is like pretty good.
There are some situations where cache is actually good which are being ignored. Cache is pretty great if you actually want the coppers. For instance on a fountain board with no buys and cache I played getting a single cache was a no brainer as it lets you hit 10 coppers while wasting less turns and the cheap gold is a bonus. There are situations where you have trashers but need things to trash in order to get their benefit. While cache is strictly a combo card and not likely to see much play it definitely has its niche.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2022, 12:31:34 pm by BraydonM »

Wizard_Amul

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +216
    • View Profile
« Reply #926 on: March 01, 2022, 03:22:01 pm »

If you have a watch tower in hand, Cache is a gold for 5$, which is often significantly worse than other things you could buy for 5$. It has to be a board where other 5$s are weak, and you have to have the watchtower in hand, and have exactly 5$, and then the cache is like pretty good.
There are some situations where cache is actually good which are being ignored. Cache is pretty great if you actually want the coppers. For instance on a fountain board with no buys and cache I played getting a single cache was a no brainer as it lets you hit 10 coppers while wasting less turns and the cheap gold is a bonus. There are situations where you have trashers but need things to trash in order to get their benefit. While cache is strictly a combo card and not likely to see much play it definitely has its niche.

Yeah, Cache is a pretty good combo card sometimes--it can be a bit finnicky to get if you need to trash cards, because you may need to draw cards in the right order, but it can be good there. I think the last few times I bought it, it was because of Keep, Guildhall, and/or Gardens. I don't know if I've seen it alongside Fountain or Triumph, but I think it could be good there, too.

BraydonM

• Coppersmith
  • Shuffle iT Username: BraydonM
  • Respect: +57
    • View Profile
« Reply #927 on: March 01, 2022, 06:49:54 pm »

Yeah, Cache is a pretty good combo card sometimes--it can be a bit finnicky to get if you need to trash cards, because you may need to draw cards in the right order, but it can be good there. I think the last few times I bought it, it was because of Keep, Guildhall, and/or Gardens. I don't know if I've seen it alongside Fountain or Triumph, but I think it could be good there, too.

Of course those are all good combo situations for it and there are many others. Buying it with a trader in hand can turn the copper into silver giving you the equivalent of two silver and a gold for 5 coins. I’ve also gotten one directly before donating before which was neat. My point on a larger scale is more that there aren’t really bad cards in dominion just situational cards. Cache is bad in a lot of boards but can be very good in others so it’s situational not bad.

Another possibility is that you suddenly gained a lot of card draw and can now draw more than your deck, such as by placing + card with teacher. If you can reliably draw 3 extra cards a cache is a quick +5 to your buying power the next turn.

chipperMDW

• Duke
  • Respect: +813
    • View Profile
« Reply #928 on: March 02, 2022, 09:47:55 pm »
+1

Played a game (vs. Rattington) with Artisan and Odysseys. Early in the game, used Artisan topdecking to set up profitable things to do on Voyage turns. Later on, started a turn with Distant Shores on top of the Odyssey pile. Used Old Maps to rotate Odysseys back around to Sunken Treasure. Artisaned the three remaining Sunken Treasures to hand, then played all three of them to gain the remaining three Distant Shores.

EDIT: Meant this as a semi-interesting moment, but I guess it sorta works here, too.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2022, 09:51:53 pm by chipperMDW »

vidicate

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: vidicate
  • Something clever goes here
  • Respect: +111
    • View Profile
« Reply #929 on: March 02, 2022, 10:42:20 pm »
+1

Played a game (vs. Rattington) with Artisan and Odysseys. Early in the game, used Artisan topdecking to set up profitable things to do on Voyage turns. Later on, started a turn with Distant Shores on top of the Odyssey pile. Used Old Maps to rotate Odysseys back around to Sunken Treasure. Artisaned the three remaining Sunken Treasures to hand, then played all three of them to gain the remaining three Distant Shores.

EDIT: Meant this as a semi-interesting moment, but I guess it sorta works here, too.

Neat. And if you had played a Voyage that same turn, then Artisaning the Sunkens alternatively to the deck would have guaranteed a solid 3-card play. But even then, doing it like you did will often make better use of terminal-space. Thanks for sharing.
WHERE ARE THE TURTLES?!!! …WHERE ARE THEY?!
-----
Felix: Let's see if you guys are as good as they say.
Grif: Prepare to be sorely disappointed.
-----
Who da man? I da man. I always suspected. -Dr. House

ehunt

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ehunt
  • Respect: +1855
    • View Profile
« Reply #930 on: March 14, 2022, 08:40:14 pm »
+5

Split 5/2 on a board with Doctor, Importer, and City-State. Trashed all estates and a copper on turn one.

Honkeyfresh

• Minion
  • DSF lowest ratio upvotes-posts 14 yrs & counting
  • Respect: +228
    • View Profile
+2

Just played a game with forest dwellers and Piazza.  Pretty bonkers so load up on favors. They allow you to see the top three cards in your deck that are coming and discard them and put them back in order. Set up your piazza evry hand.  Even helps set up a vassal/wishingwell.will-o-wissp etc on the back end too.

Just a bonkers combo.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2022, 05:42:38 pm by Honkeyfresh »
"Rap game Julio Franco, Chuck Norris, Texas Ranger/ Ice on my fingers look like I slap-boxed a penguin." -- Riff Raff Proverbs 4:20

"Sometimes I say some things people may think are just outlandish, but I'm going to have the last laugh." -- Riff Raff  Exodus 6:66

Honkeyfresh

• Minion
    • View Profile
+3

Hunting grounds/ any TFB (mine was replace so was super bonkers w/province gain and curse) and Plateau Shephards.  Just get a lot of favors and then at the end of the game trash all your hunting grounds for the 3 estates.  It especially works if there aren't other good two's on the board as in kinda sneaks out of nowhere. Unless there is a shephard around you should save this for the end game as obviously you don't generally want a shit ton of estates in a good engine.  I could only imagine if Triumph/pasture was available how high it could have gotten.
"Rap game Julio Franco, Chuck Norris, Texas Ranger/ Ice on my fingers look like I slap-boxed a penguin." -- Riff Raff Proverbs 4:20

"Sometimes I say some things people may think are just outlandish, but I'm going to have the last laugh." -- Riff Raff  Exodus 6:66

Honkeyfresh

• Minion
    • View Profile

Just played a game with Innovation and Gatekeeper.  If you buy an action while under gatekeeper you get to play and then keep the card in your deck, though in mine it was artisan and then card that you gain from artisan does go into exile.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2022, 03:45:47 pm by Honkeyfresh »

mxdata

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1335
    • View Profile
« Reply #934 on: June 02, 2022, 03:09:39 pm »
+2

Piazza functions as a nice counter to Clerk. Top-deck one of your Action cards, and you basically end up getting a free Action at the start of your turn!
They/them

mxdata

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #935 on: June 02, 2022, 09:09:29 pm »
+5

Warlord is a partial counter to Black Cat. With Warlord in play, your opponent can only react to a Victory card gain with, at most, two Black Cats

I forgot my opponent had a Warlord in play in an online game and tried to react with all three of my Black Cats, and nothing happened with the third one. The activity log had a message "Failed to play Black Cat", which confused me for a moment until I realized it was because of their Warlord
They/them

stechafle

• Baron
  • Shuffle iT Username: stechafle
  • Respect: +97
    • View Profile
« Reply #936 on: June 03, 2022, 07:27:04 am »
+3

Coven + Way of the Chameleon was fun

Joxeft

• Bishop
  • Respect: +103
    • View Profile
« Reply #937 on: June 03, 2022, 01:13:19 pm »
+1

Collection + donate + stampede.

I got 745 VP doing this with 2 bots.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2022, 01:23:33 pm by Joxeft »

Honkeyfresh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #938 on: June 03, 2022, 03:27:32 pm »

Collection + donate + stampede.

I got 745 VP doing this with 2 bots.

lmao  ;D

Honkeyfresh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #939 on: June 03, 2022, 03:29:11 pm »

Coven + Way of the Chameleon was fun

Like an Evil Laboratory

Honkeyfresh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #940 on: June 03, 2022, 03:30:28 pm »

Piazza functions as a nice counter to Clerk. Top-deck one of your Action cards, and you basically end up getting a free Action at the start of your turn!

Not a free action, as you could normally play the card just from your hand, but it does cancel out the attack.

see supra

« Last Edit: June 03, 2022, 03:55:36 pm by Honkeyfresh »

Honkeyfresh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #941 on: June 03, 2022, 03:32:15 pm »

Warlord is a partial counter to Black Cat. With Warlord in play, your opponent can only react to a Victory card gain with, at most, two Black Cats

I forgot my opponent had a Warlord in play in an online game and tried to react with all three of my Black Cats, and nothing happened with the third one. The activity log had a message "Failed to play Black Cat", which confused me for a moment until I realized it was because of their Warlord

very cool.  Had not even considered that aspect as usually these type of attacks only apply on your turn, and reactions play from their turn.

vidicate

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: vidicate
  • Something clever goes here
  • Respect: +111
    • View Profile
« Reply #942 on: June 03, 2022, 03:42:16 pm »
+2

Not a free action, as you could normally play the card just from your hand, but it does cancel out the attack.

The difference is that Piazza played the Action, essentially a village effect. So, indeed a free action.
WHERE ARE THE TURTLES?!!! …WHERE ARE THEY?!
-----
Felix: Let's see if you guys are as good as they say.
Grif: Prepare to be sorely disappointed.
-----
Who da man? I da man. I always suspected. -Dr. House

Honkeyfresh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #943 on: June 03, 2022, 03:54:21 pm »

The difference is that Piazza played the Action, essentially a village effect. So, indeed a free action.

ah i see what you mean.  I even played with this the other day too. 

And it is a nice bonus too

Honkeyfresh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #944 on: June 15, 2022, 04:20:47 pm »
+1

Collection Devils Workshop gets pretty bonkers as toward the end you are just piling imps

mxdata

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #945 on: June 17, 2022, 02:26:54 am »
+2

Had a game with Cleric Clerk and Way of the Pig in a kingdom with no villages. Using Cleric's Clerk's reaction and playing as Pig gave a village effect - quite useful in that kingdom. Would've been pretty useless if there were actual villages though
« Last Edit: June 19, 2022, 01:52:55 am by mxdata »
They/them

Gherald

• Minion
  • Awe: +35
  • Respect: +1397
    • View Profile
« Reply #946 on: June 17, 2022, 04:05:43 am »
+4

I did that in a kingdom with Enchantress, opponent didn't realize their use of Enchantress was actually helping me have a bit of a "Clerk village" 8)
My opponent has more loot than me

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2109
    • View Profile
« Reply #947 on: June 17, 2022, 06:27:20 am »
+5

The revised Prince can set aside a Horse and play it every turn, because the Prince prevents the Horse from going back to its pile. It's not too hard to line up a Prince and a Horse
« Last Edit: June 17, 2022, 06:36:19 am by NoMoreFun »

Honkeyfresh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #948 on: June 18, 2022, 06:02:54 pm »

The revised Prince can set aside a Horse and play it every turn, because the Prince prevents the Horse from going back to its pile. It's not too hard to line up a Prince and a Horse

Oof.  this is like the dream of a prince brifge/highway combo.  Basically princing a lab.  Prince and hostelry/livery/paddock/supplies?  GTFO

Honkeyfresh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #949 on: June 18, 2022, 06:08:37 pm »

Had a game with Cleric and Way of the Pig in a kingdom with no villages. Using Cleric's reaction and playing as Pig gave a village effect - quite useful in that kingdom. Would've been pretty useless if there were actual villages though

what is Cleric?  It's not on the wiki and I don't recall seeing it in any of the prosperity or seaside reboots

Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 45  All

Page created in 0.053 seconds with 20 queries.