Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 45  All

Author Topic: Neat card interactions that were useful in the game you found them in.  (Read 261328 times)

tim17

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +276
    • View Profile
Re: Neat card interactions that were useful in the game you found them in.
« Reply #50 on: February 18, 2017, 05:35:05 am »
+8

Transmogrify + Catapult/Rocks

Transmogrify helps turn estates into catapults to help get to the rocks.  Once rocks are uncovered, you probably have mostly coppers and a bunch of catapults, which ends up working out quite well.  Say for example you have a transmogrify on your tavern mat and a hand of 2x catapult, 3x copper.  Call tmog to turn a catapult into a rocks, gaining a silver to hand.  Play the other catapult to trash the rocks, gaining a silver to hand.  Now you have 8 for a province, and you curse+discard attacked your opponent.

I saw this in a game a couple days ago, where it won handily.  Squire helped somewhat, but it was clear that this was the main interaction.

Willvon

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +168
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 20, 2017, 04:31:21 pm »

In the very first game I played with Lurker, I got Apprentice out of the Black Market deck. This ended up being a cool combo, since I could trash my expensive actions for big card draw, and get them back later that turn. I had a few Artisans, which was great for a 6-card draw.

That game made me think that Lurker should probably be in the top 5 or 7 $2 cards.

Apprentice / Lurker may be a legitimate combo, even more so than most trash-for-benefit + Lurker combos. That just seems super powerful, and completely nonterminal at that.

My wife and I had an IRL game with Apprentice and Lurker in it.  We also had Explorer in the game, which is a card I rarely buy.  In addition, we had Obelisk.  We chose randomly from the randomizer cards and chose Explorer as the Obelisk card.  Explorers worked great as food for Apprentice and Lurker put it right back in our hands.  We had Villa in the layout also and a lot of cantrips.  So it never gummed up our decks and even gave us points at the end of the game.  The silvers and golds generated by Explorer were also available to sacrifice to Apprentice.  That was my first game with Lurker.  It is an excellent addition to the Base game, and it certainly feels like a top 5 $2 card.

4est

• Duke
  • Shuffle iT Username: 4est
  • Respect: +1450
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 21, 2017, 10:15:33 am »
+21

Royal Blacksmith + Poor House: I just played a game with these two on a board with lots of potential for a strong engine; plenty of +Actions, huge draw from Royal Blacksmith, and +Buy...but no trashing.  Poor House is usually awful if you can't trash your Coppers, and Royal Blacksmith similarly prefers some trimming.  But together, with some village support, each Royal Blacksmith draws a bunch of cards and handily purges your hand of Coppers so you can then maximize your Poor Houses for +$4 each!

tailred

• Golem
  • Shuffle iT Username: ceviri
  • Respect: +368
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 21, 2017, 08:57:51 pm »
+9

Wishing Weel, Vassal
I just played a game where Vassal was the main payload but was pretty risky (no villages whatsoever, nor the typical topdeck-set-uppers.) Turns out Well is a pretty good topdeck-set-upper, as long as you have quite a few wells per vassal. Just wish away stop cards and once a well (or some other nonterminal that's okay to play) is revealed, play it with vassal.

schoeggu

• Chancellor
  • Respect: +51
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 22, 2017, 05:19:42 am »
+14

Hunting Grounds and Donate (and a +buy source otherwise it's difficult)
When trashed Hunting Grounds gives you either a Duchy or three Estates.
The trick is to have two piles empty and then buy Donate to trash all your Hunting Grounds and using the gains to either empty the Estate or Duchy pile. You will get 3VP per Hunting Grounds (unless you need to gain 1 or 2 Estates to empty the pile), plus all the VP gained during your turn (where you can still use your Hunting Grounds).
Because the endgame state is checked after your turn but before you Donate your opponent gets a last turn. But they cannot use Donate to trash Hunting Grounds as the game will finish after their turn.

So in this game, I bought two Provinces and made sure two piles were empty. And with the last remaining buy I bought Donate.
With Donate I trashed my four Hunting Grounds, gaining a Duchy and 8 Estates. Thus so emptying the third pile. (23VP)
The opponent would have to been able to buy 4 Provinces (24VP) to get ahead of me which she wasn't ;)
« Last Edit: February 22, 2017, 05:25:34 am by schoeggu »

singletee

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: singletee
  • Gold, Silver, Copper, Let's Jam!
  • Respect: +1606
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 22, 2017, 05:37:09 pm »
+19

Tomb and Fool's Gold

Be careful taking the last Province for a narrow "win" - it may turn into a loss!

abura448

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +10
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 24, 2017, 03:29:57 pm »
+1

Just played a game with Sacrifice+Fortress+Tomb..... trash-tastic!

allanfieldhouse

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +374
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 24, 2017, 05:09:59 pm »
+3

Tomb and Fool's Gold

Be careful taking the last Province for a narrow "win" - it may turn into a loss!

Surprise! Keep was also in the game, and they lost 5 points for trashing the Fool's Gold.

Cuzz

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Cuzz
  • Respect: +1018
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 24, 2017, 05:52:40 pm »
+1

Just had a board with NV, KC, bridge, and duplicate. Would you believe that those cards indeed interacted in a neat way?

Skumpy

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: skumpy
  • Respect: +204
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 24, 2017, 08:46:55 pm »

Just had a board with NV, KC, bridge, and duplicate. Would you believe that those cards indeed interacted in a neat way?

Do you need the Duplicate? 2 King's Court's + 3 Bridges is game. And you can just King's Court-Native Village everything if needed until you pick up your whole hand one turn.

Also, it's probably just me, but typing out the whole card name feels so satisfying.
He is (and take this in a positive light Skumpy) eccentric, flamboyant and excessive at times. His posts are ones that cause people to look at him and say "huh?"

schoeggu

• Chancellor
  • Respect: +51
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: February 28, 2017, 05:28:42 am »
+1

Just played a game with Sacrifice+Fortress+Tomb..... trash-tastic!

It's insane. Add a Scheme to your deck and you're guaranteed to always start with Fortress in hand.

terminalCopper

• Explorer
  • Respect: +758
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 28, 2017, 04:09:04 pm »
+7

Legionary / Enchantress

The best defence against Legionsry is to keep two synergic cards like village/smithy. This is nerved the hard way if the village is a cantrip.

grrgrrgrr

• Explorer
  • Respect: +414
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 03, 2017, 11:47:59 am »
+2

Lurker+Catacombs
A very neat combo, as it makes Lurker effectively a nonterminal workshop. If you play two Lurkers, you can gain yourself a Catacombs and a $4 card!
I played this combo together with Island. In one turn, the Lurker pile was empty, and the Island and Lurker piles only had three cards left. Guess what I did with my three lurkers.

Bonfire+Market Square
Very very very powerfull interaction; an incredibly easy way for gaining a shitload of Golds.

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4433
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 12, 2017, 01:18:22 am »
+1

Lost Arts plus Scheme is fun—a good way to never be stuck with a dead terminal action at the start of a turn.

(It was a Black Market game, so Lost Arts on the terminals themselves was not an option—I didn't have more than one of any key terminal.)

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 12, 2017, 10:15:04 am »
+1

Sacrifice + Squire

Draw your deck, Sacrifice a Squire, gain an attack, draw it, and have an extra Action to play it
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

ackmondual

• Witch
  • Respect: +293
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 14, 2017, 04:07:34 am »

Treasure Trove + Palace + Fountain
Gold helps get more VP out of Palace, Copper helps get us to 15 VP, and Silver is often easy enough to buy.

Necropolis + Arena
2 VP before the first reshuffle!

Necropolis + Advance
0-cost 6-cost action card!

Delve + Tomb + Watchtower
With Watchtower in hand, as long as there are Coppers and/or Curses left, each Buy gets you 1 VP.
As long as you can spend $2, each of those will get you 1 VP as well!
Village, +2 Actions.  Village, +3 Actions.  Village, +4 Actions.  Village, +5 Actions.  Village, +6 Actions.  Village, +7 Actions.  Workers Village, +2 Buys, +8 Actions.  End Action Phase.  No Treasures to play.  No buy.  No Night cards to play

Psyduck

• Bishop
  • Respect: +135
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 14, 2017, 04:39:10 am »
+1

Storyteller + Raid

Use the Storytellers and Silvers to draw a lot, then get many more Silvers. Works best with Copper/Estate trashing and +Buy.

LaLight

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: LaLight
  • Because I'm a potato
  • Respect: +971
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 14, 2017, 11:21:28 am »
+6

I just have made a beautiful combo:

Develop Peddler into Platinum/Expand, play Magpie, draw both and Expand the second Peddler into Colony. Felt so good.
Wins: 15, 10
Losses: 11, 5, 1
Draws: 1
MVPs: 4
Mod/Co-mod: 18

I always have a limited access to forum on weekends.

xyz123

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +511
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 14, 2017, 12:47:39 pm »
+3

Crossroads + Bridge Troll + non-terminal draw (other terminal durations may apply).

Had a game with Crossroads, Bridge Troll, Laboratory and no other villages.

A single Crossroads can support up to 6 terminal durations. With non-terminal draw a single Crossroads can be all the village you would want.

ackmondual

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 14, 2017, 03:29:43 pm »
+3

Treasury + Dominate
Getting the latter gets you a whole bunch of points, but you still get to recycle your Treasuries.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2017, 01:01:39 am by ackmondual »
Village, +2 Actions.  Village, +3 Actions.  Village, +4 Actions.  Village, +5 Actions.  Village, +6 Actions.  Village, +7 Actions.  Workers Village, +2 Buys, +8 Actions.  End Action Phase.  No Treasures to play.  No buy.  No Night cards to play

luser

• Tactician
  • Respect: +352
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 14, 2017, 05:23:42 pm »

everybody knows kc-scheme. Pathfinding-scheme is similar. But in recent game I found city quarter-scheme which is similar of topdecking actions then drawing lot with city quarter. and easier to pull of as you don't need spike 7/8 thanks to debt.

ackmondual

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 14, 2017, 11:39:29 pm »

Navigator + Loan
Set up your deck so Victory cards get passed over, put good Treasure towards the end, and have the Copper come between the 2 groups.  If you're going to pass up a bunch of good stuff, then you'll know not to play the Loan

Royal Blacksmith + Poor House: I just played a game with these two on a board with lots of potential for a strong engine; plenty of +Actions, huge draw from Royal Blacksmith, and +Buy...but no trashing.  Poor House is usually awful if you can't trash your Coppers, and Royal Blacksmith similarly prefers some trimming.  But together, with some village support, each Royal Blacksmith draws a bunch of cards and handily purges your hand of Coppers so you can then maximize your Poor Houses for +$4 each!

Oh, Counting House + Royal Blacksmith
Here, you're also not afraid to discard your Coppers

humcalc216

• Salvager
  • Shuffle iT Username: humcalc216
  • Respect: +114
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 15, 2017, 12:13:38 am »
+1

Counting House + Secret Passage

Get a bunch of Secret Passages and use them to put a Counting House 5th from the bottom.  Helps to have some source of nonterminal +buy (in this case, Market) to put next to the Counting House.

From the same game:

Cellar + Secret Passage

Putting a bunch of junk on the bottom of your deck with Secret Passage?  Put a Cellar down there too!
« Last Edit: March 15, 2017, 12:16:57 am by humcalc216 »

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 15, 2017, 10:19:13 am »
+2

Counting House + Secret Passage

Get a bunch of Secret Passages and use them to put a Counting House 5th from the bottom.  Helps to have some source of nonterminal +buy (in this case, Market) to put next to the Counting House.

From the same game:

Cellar + Secret Passage

Putting a bunch of junk on the bottom of your deck with Secret Passage?  Put a Cellar down there too!

With cellar you have to be careful - you're generally trying to make the junk miss the reshuffle by putting it on the bottom. Warehouse or Forum may be a better choice for this weird old trick, or maybe another Secret Passage!
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5138
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 16, 2017, 12:34:58 pm »
+1

Peasant/City Quarter
Seriously, these two together are basically a complete, fully functioning engine.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 45  All

Page created in 0.051 seconds with 21 queries.