Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 14 [All]

Author Topic: Neat card interactions that were useful in the game you found them in.  (Read 23173 times)

Chris is me

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +2686
    • View Profile
+12

PPE: Interactions between landscapes and/or cards are also allowed

So uh, there's this other thread, right? Where people post when they find a card interaction that seems novel. 90% of the posts in that thread are people who wish to share what they found immediately after playing a game online. Tons of things in that thread are useful, but often they involve more than two cards, so we're subjected to completely endless and infuriating debate every single time someone wants to share a card interaction about whether or not it is "common enough" to be "potentially useful". It's funny, because that thread was made to avoid discussions about "combos" since that word itself has a loaded definition which was endlessly debated. But I digress.

So here is the criteria for posting in this thread:
1. Post interactions between multiple cards here which result in novel, interesting, and/or particularly effective synergy.
2. Post interactions between cards that you have observed, in an actual game of Dominion at least once. If it happened at least once, that's cool. If it's a purely theoretical 8 card combo, maybe not?

As long as those criteria are met, it can be posted. I mean really, I'm not going to breathe down anyone's neck rigorously checking this, but at some point in the future someone is going to cite this post as a reason something shouldn't get posted, so I'm going out of my way to be inclusive here.

Maybe, finally, with this almost identical thread with a very slightly different topic, we won't have pages and pages of people derailing with their tired arguments about how common or rare something is, as if we all always play full random games and as if we all only use that thread for practical advice and not just discussion. Or if you think this whole thing is silly and doesn't deserve a splinter topic, we can stop derailing the existing thread? You can't have it both ways. Either the content doesn't belong in the other thread, so we need a new one for that content; or it does belong in the other thread and we should stop tolerating constant derailment.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2017, 02:57:11 pm by Chris is me »
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

they/them

Deadlock39

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1722
    • View Profile
Re: Neat card interactions that were useful in the game you found them in.
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2017, 10:57:55 am »

I played a few games the other day with the selection set of Empires plus the new second edition cards. We got Charm, Royal Blacksmith, and City Quarter. It was Cwazy.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Prepare to be boarded!
  • Respect: +8959
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2017, 11:04:01 am »
+1

I played a few games the other day with the selection set of Empires plus the new second edition cards. We got Charm, Royal Blacksmith, and City Quarter. It was Cwazy.

I will often deliberately put those cards in a game together because I enjoy that interaction.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

UmbrageOfSnow

• Bishop
  • Shuffle iT Username: Umbrageofsnow
  • Respect: +268
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2017, 11:52:26 am »
+2

I will often deliberately put those cards in a game together because I enjoy that interaction.

I never play random games at home, we deliberately make kingdoms with interesting interactions in them and play those, usually three games in a row with the same kingdom.  That thread, and I guess this one, are a good source to mine for ideas.

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jack Rudd
  • Respect: +908
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2017, 12:59:55 pm »
+1

I once had a game on Isotropic with Governor, Black Market and Minion in it. That made for an amusing variant on the old Council Room - Militia decks we all know and love.
Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Seprix
  • Respect: +3041
    • View Profile
    • The Border Village
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2017, 01:02:20 pm »
+5

I had a donut with maple syrup and bacon as the topping while playing Dominion. Does that count?  ;)
WOWIE I GUESS I HAVE TO DO EVERYTHING AROUND HERE

Jacob marley

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jacob Marley
  • Respect: +129
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2017, 06:54:21 pm »
+4

I had a donut with maple syrup and bacon as the topping while playing Dominion. Does that count?  ;)

Only if you used the maple syrup to covertly stick cards to the palm of your hand to be slipped back into play at opportune moments...

Schneau

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Schneau
  • Respect: +1435
    • View Profile
    • Rainwave
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2017, 08:55:16 am »

In the very first game I played with Lurker, I got Apprentice out of the Black Market deck. This ended up being a cool combo, since I could trash my expensive actions for big card draw, and get them back later that turn. I had a few Artisans, which was great for a 6-card draw.

That game made me think that Lurker should probably be in the top 5 or 7 $2 cards.

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +766
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2017, 09:05:02 am »
+1

I had a game where I kept trashing that Castle that is an action card where if you trash it, you can a castle. (Not sure what the name is.)

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +10108
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2017, 09:16:17 am »

I had a game where I kept trashing that Castle that is an action card where if you trash it, you can a castle. (Not sure what the name is.)

How do you can a castle?
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The Twitch channel where I stream DominionThe YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's albums for free

Aleimon Thimble

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Aleimon Thimble
  • Respect: +579
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2017, 09:28:10 am »

How do you can a castle?

You accidentally.

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2017, 10:23:32 am »

How do you can a castle?

n00b

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2796
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2017, 10:25:30 am »
+10

You just need a big enough can or a really Small Castle.

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2017, 10:27:12 am »

Are you a Castlecan or a castlecannot?

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
  • Respect: +3914
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2017, 10:28:35 am »
+14

How do you can a castle?

Chris is me

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2017, 01:48:46 pm »
+1

In the very first game I played with Lurker, I got Apprentice out of the Black Market deck. This ended up being a cool combo, since I could trash my expensive actions for big card draw, and get them back later that turn. I had a few Artisans, which was great for a 6-card draw.

That game made me think that Lurker should probably be in the top 5 or 7 $2 cards.

Apprentice / Lurker may be a legitimate combo, even more so than most trash-for-benefit + Lurker combos. That just seems super powerful, and completely nonterminal at that.

bug me on discord

they/them

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Prepare to be boarded!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2017, 02:13:49 pm »

Apprentice / Lurker may be a legitimate combo, even more so than most trash-for-benefit + Lurker combos. That just seems super powerful, and completely nonterminal at that.

Lurker works great with any tfb card.  "I could trash my Market and draw 5 cards, but then I won't have my Market anymore... oh, wait, I can Lurker it back!"  :D
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

4est

• Spy
  • Shuffle iT Username: 4est
  • Respect: +297
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2017, 02:26:49 pm »
+4

Even without the trash-for-benefit synergies like Apprentice and fun on-trash tricks (e.g. Fortress, Cultist), I think Lurker might be the strongest $2-cost engine enabler aside from Chapel and the Travellers (Yes, I think it's better than Stonemason).  While it's of course weak when played by itself, in pairs and multiples, Lurker becomes a powerhouse gainer, like an Ironworks that can gain anything.  Unlike Stonemason, Lurker can eliminate the need for Treasures or Buys altogether when engine building--you just need enough trashing or sifting to connect your Lurker pairs, and you can gain all your engine components without ever needing coin. 

Later in the game, Lurker changes function from a gainer to a drainer.  Especially for deck-drawing engines, winning the Lurker split can give you a tremendous amount of pile control over your opponent--the ability to instantly empty a Supply pile of six or seven cards while saving your Buys for Victory cards can give you powerful authority to determine exactly when the game ends.

Chris is me

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2017, 02:43:37 pm »

Lurker works great with any tfb card.  "I could trash my Market and draw 5 cards, but then I won't have my Market anymore... oh, wait, I can Lurker it back!"  :D

The particular strength of the synergy with Apprentice is that both cards are nonterminal, so you don't need any external support to make them work. As opposed to Salvager, Butcher, Graverobber, etc.

Plus nonterminal draw is just so great and you don't even need to line the cards up.

bug me on discord

they/them

allanfieldhouse

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +227
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2017, 11:44:04 am »

So yeah, Lurker goes well with any TfB card, but I agree that Apprentice might be a special case. When you're "allowed" to trash any valuable action (including other Apprentices), you can instantly draw your whole deck every turn non-terminally. That's amazing. A couple Apprentices plus some fodder is like having the whole pile of Labs (minus the reliability).

I've been really underwhelmed with Lurker in general when it takes 2 plays to gain a card. Any time it can gain a card every single play, it's amazing (hence the general synergy with all TfB cards).

humcalc216

• Swindler
  • Shuffle iT Username: humcalc216
  • Respect: +18
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2017, 01:35:34 pm »
+3

Other interesting Lurker interactions I've experienced:

Lurker/Border Village/TfB (in this case, Replace).  Gaining Border Villages out of the trash triggers their when-gain ability.

Lurker/Knights.  In an engine mirror playing these cards, it turns into a lengthy contest for who can end up with all of the Knights.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2017, 07:29:20 pm »
+1

Storyteller/Raid/Conquest was pretty neat.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The Twitch channel where I stream DominionThe YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's albums for free

luser

• Tactician
  • Respect: +328
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2017, 02:43:37 pm »
+2

Just found that quest with some buy completely counters haunted woods. Sometimes you even get gold.

allanfieldhouse

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2017, 09:13:38 pm »
+4

Tactician + Baths. You weren't going to do anything on the turn you played Tac anyway, so here's 2 free points!

terminalCopper

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +517
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2017, 05:05:02 pm »
+25

Pirate Ship + Lurker + bad opponent

Lurk a pirate ship, your opp. will likely "steal" it, and trash your coppers.

schadd

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: schadd
  • lockjaw
  • Respect: +1220
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2017, 05:45:30 pm »
+2

ditto thie- oh
I thought you thought it was a slip because I said 'Jake's partners' instead of 'Roadrunner7671.'
5-6
i'll come runnin, if you love me today

luser

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2017, 11:20:48 am »
+10

When I read about lurker I got idea about lurker-hunting grounds. After few bot games I found out that it is rebuild on steroids.

You need to buy/gain lurkers until they are out. If mirrored trash hgrounds if you couldn't gain lurker back on same turn. After that buy estates and just trash all hunting grounds to pile out on hgrounds/lurker/duchies/estates.

Unassisted this usually ends game in 11 turns with 30 points from 8 duchies and 6 estates.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2017, 11:23:28 am by luser »

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2017, 11:39:34 am »
+1

When I read about lurker I got idea about lurker-hunting grounds. After few bot games I found out that it is rebuild on steroids.

You need to buy/gain lurkers until they are out. If mirrored trash hgrounds if you couldn't gain lurker back on same turn. After that buy estates and just trash all hunting grounds to pile out on hgrounds/lurker/duchies/estates.

Unassisted this usually ends game in 11 turns with 30 points from 8 duchies and 6 estates.

Well, this is something you could actually post in the other thread. I tried it too and it's incredible.

humcalc216

• Swindler
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2017, 12:29:32 pm »
+2

Apprentice/Rocks.  It gives your Apprentices 3 things to trash.

Eran of Arcadia

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +362
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2017, 10:10:02 am »
+1

I had a game last night where on, I think, 2 turns, I: had a Raze trash itself or an estate, drawing and discarding an action card in the process; played Harbinger to put the discarded action card back on top of my deck; played Vassal to play the action card; used Lurker to get the Raze back.

Not powerful, maybe, but kind of fun to keep moving a card around like that.

Haddock

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Haddock
  • Not Doc Cod
  • Respect: +546
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2017, 12:33:57 pm »
+2

Well, this is something you could actually post in the other thread. I tried it too and it's incredible.
Since this thread is strictly better than the other thread, why would anyone post anything in the other thread?
The best reason to lynch Haddock is the meltdown we get to witness on the wagon runup. I mean, we should totally wagon him every day just for the lulz.

M Town Wins-Losses (6-2, 75%): 71, 72, 76, 81, 83, 87 - 79, 82.  M Scum Wins-Losses (2-1, 67%): 80, 101 - 70.
RMM Town Wins-Losses (0-1, 0%): x - 31.  RMM Scum Wins-Losses (3-3, 50%): 33, 37, 43 - 29, 32, 35.
Modded: M75, M84, RMM38.     Mislynched (M-RMM): None - None.     Correctly lynched (M-RMM): 101 - 33, 33, 35.       MVPs: RMM37, M87

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2017, 01:18:24 pm »

Since this thread is strictly better than the other thread, why would anyone post anything in the other thread?

The other thread is better if you want to post something that people should care about.

Cave-o-sapien

• Minion
  • Respect: +909
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2017, 04:22:27 pm »
+12

Lurker/Knights.  In an engine mirror playing these cards, it turns into a lengthy contest for who can end up with all of the Knights.

My first Lurker/Knight game made me feel a little sorry for the poor knights: I realized we were repeatedly resurrecting them and sending them to die in combat again and again and again.

Petrovic

• Alchemist
  • Respect: +27
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2017, 12:47:43 am »
+7

The other thread is better if you want to post something that people should care about.

This thread was strictly better until Awaclus decided he needed to use it to give people permission to post to the other thread

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2017, 01:07:03 am »

I guess the logic according to which this is a strictly better thread than the other thread also makes Random Stuff III a strictly better thread than this.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • The Border Village
« Reply #35 on: February 14, 2017, 05:01:56 pm »

I guess the logic according to which this is a strictly better thread than the other thread also makes Random Stuff III a strictly better thread than this.

Whenever I read Awaclus, the voice in my head is Data from Star Strek TNG.

UmbrageOfSnow

• Bishop
  • Shuffle iT Username: Umbrageofsnow
  • Respect: +268
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 14, 2017, 05:05:12 pm »
+2

Not Lore?

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • The Border Village
« Reply #37 on: February 14, 2017, 05:18:31 pm »

Not Lore?

Lore has that "villain" voice, and that doesn't have the timbre I think of. Lore is more expressive. Data has that simple logical sound.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 15, 2017, 04:46:48 am »

Not Lore?

Lore has that "villain" voice, and that doesn't have the timbre I think of. Lore is more expressive. Data has that simple logical sound.

Yeah, I can't have a "villain" voice. I don't even sound like the serial killer!

ThetaSigma12

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: ThetaSigma12
  • Respect: +1363
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 15, 2017, 08:04:17 am »
+4

Not Lore?

Yeah, I can't have a "villain" voice. I don't even sound like the serial killer!
You know he's a killer...

...But did you know he's a Cereal killer?
If you have a fan card you want to be created, just post about it here! I'd love to take a look at it.

Chris is me

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 15, 2017, 10:52:09 am »

Procession + Ironmonger + Page line was cool in a game I played. IronMONGER helps you cycle faster to upgrade your Pages, and once you reach Champion, IronMONGER isn't as useful anymore since you don't need the action, so you can Procession it into that $5 terminal draw you're eyeing.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2017, 12:22:12 pm by Chris is me »

bug me on discord

they/them

AJD

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +3219
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 15, 2017, 10:59:57 am »

Procession + Ironworks + Page line was cool in a game I played. Ironworks helps you cycle faster to upgrade your Pages, and once you reach Champion, Ironworks isn't as useful anymore since you don't need the action, so you can Procession it into that $5 terminal draw you're eyeing.

Ironmonger?

Chris is me

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 15, 2017, 11:23:42 am »
+1

I dunno what you're talking about it totally says ironmonnger up there it always has I swear :P

bug me on discord

they/them

allanfieldhouse

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 15, 2017, 11:36:46 am »
+4

I dunno what you're talking about it totally says ironmonnger up there it always has I swear :P

lol...even after editing, it still says Ironworks twice.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 15, 2017, 12:12:59 pm »
+3

Ironworks, editing doesn't.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • The Border Village
« Reply #45 on: February 15, 2017, 12:56:26 pm »

Not Lore?

That was the best episode of that season, which was still not a very good episode.

ThetaSigma12

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: ThetaSigma12
  • Respect: +1363
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 15, 2017, 02:31:07 pm »

Not Lore?

That was the best episode of that season, which was still not a very good episode.
I'm torn between giving you a +1 for watching Sherlock and not giving a +1 for hating one of my favorite episodes.
If you have a fan card you want to be created, just post about it here! I'd love to take a look at it.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • The Border Village
« Reply #47 on: February 15, 2017, 04:52:07 pm »

I'm torn between giving you a +1 for watching Sherlock and not giving a +1 for hating one of my favorite episodes.

It wasn't much of a mystery. It was an interesting character study, but the fun in Sherlock is the mystery.

In fact, Season 4 was so bad that I am not looking forward to Season 5 (assuming it even comes to existence). I have a full review written for it too, just waiting for me to not be lazy to go and record it.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2017, 04:53:09 pm by Seprix »

tailred

• Golem
  • Shuffle iT Username: ceviri
  • Respect: +274
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 16, 2017, 11:37:07 pm »
+7

Legionary, Fortune Teller
cute.

Crown, Bank
Power up banks without needing to spam actual yellows.

Aleimon Thimble

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Aleimon Thimble
  • Respect: +579
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 17, 2017, 07:56:57 am »

Legionary, Fortune Teller
cute.

I wouldn't call it cute. It's actually pretty evil; your opponent pretty much starts with a two-card hand every turn.

tim17

• Spy
  • Respect: +140
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 18, 2017, 05:35:05 am »
+7

Transmogrify + Catapult/Rocks

Transmogrify helps turn estates into catapults to help get to the rocks.  Once rocks are uncovered, you probably have mostly coppers and a bunch of catapults, which ends up working out quite well.  Say for example you have a transmogrify on your tavern mat and a hand of 2x catapult, 3x copper.  Call tmog to turn a catapult into a rocks, gaining a silver to hand.  Play the other catapult to trash the rocks, gaining a silver to hand.  Now you have 8 for a province, and you curse+discard attacked your opponent.

I saw this in a game a couple days ago, where it won handily.  Squire helped somewhat, but it was clear that this was the main interaction.

Willvon

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +106
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 20, 2017, 04:31:21 pm »

My wife and I had an IRL game with Apprentice and Lurker in it.  We also had Explorer in the game, which is a card I rarely buy.  In addition, we had Obelisk.  We chose randomly from the randomizer cards and chose Explorer as the Obelisk card.  Explorers worked great as food for Apprentice and Lurker put it right back in our hands.  We had Villa in the layout also and a lot of cantrips.  So it never gummed up our decks and even gave us points at the end of the game.  The silvers and golds generated by Explorer were also available to sacrifice to Apprentice.  That was my first game with Lurker.  It is an excellent addition to the Base game, and it certainly feels like a top 5 $2 card.

4est

• Spy
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 21, 2017, 10:15:33 am »
+19

Royal Blacksmith + Poor House: I just played a game with these two on a board with lots of potential for a strong engine; plenty of +Actions, huge draw from Royal Blacksmith, and +Buy...but no trashing.  Poor House is usually awful if you can't trash your Coppers, and Royal Blacksmith similarly prefers some trimming.  But together, with some village support, each Royal Blacksmith draws a bunch of cards and handily purges your hand of Coppers so you can then maximize your Poor Houses for +$4 each!

tailred

• Golem
  • Shuffle iT Username: ceviri
  • Respect: +274
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 21, 2017, 08:57:51 pm »
+8

Wishing Weel, Vassal
I just played a game where Vassal was the main payload but was pretty risky (no villages whatsoever, nor the typical topdeck-set-uppers.) Turns out Well is a pretty good topdeck-set-upper, as long as you have quite a few wells per vassal. Just wish away stop cards and once a well (or some other nonterminal that's okay to play) is revealed, play it with vassal.

schoeggu

• Swindler
  • Respect: +41
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 22, 2017, 05:19:42 am »
+11

Hunting Grounds and Donate (and a +buy source otherwise it's difficult)
When trashed Hunting Grounds gives you either a Duchy or three Estates.
The trick is to have two piles empty and then buy Donate to trash all your Hunting Grounds and using the gains to either empty the Estate or Duchy pile. You will get 3VP per Hunting Grounds (unless you need to gain 1 or 2 Estates to empty the pile), plus all the VP gained during your turn (where you can still use your Hunting Grounds).
Because the endgame state is checked after your turn but before you Donate your opponent gets a last turn. But they cannot use Donate to trash Hunting Grounds as the game will finish after their turn.

So in this game, I bought two Provinces and made sure two piles were empty. And with the last remaining buy I bought Donate.
With Donate I trashed my four Hunting Grounds, gaining a Duchy and 8 Estates. Thus so emptying the third pile. (23VP)
The opponent would have to been able to buy 4 Provinces (24VP) to get ahead of me which she wasn't ;)
« Last Edit: February 22, 2017, 05:25:34 am by schoeggu »

singletee

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: singletee
  • Gold, Silver, Copper, Let's Jam!
  • Respect: +1290
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 22, 2017, 05:37:09 pm »
+18

Tomb and Fool's Gold

Be careful taking the last Province for a narrow "win" - it may turn into a loss!

abura448

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +10
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 24, 2017, 03:29:57 pm »
+1

Just played a game with Sacrifice+Fortress+Tomb..... trash-tastic!

allanfieldhouse

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 24, 2017, 05:09:59 pm »
+3

Tomb and Fool's Gold

Be careful taking the last Province for a narrow "win" - it may turn into a loss!

Surprise! Keep was also in the game, and they lost 5 points for trashing the Fool's Gold.

Cuzz

• Tactician
  • Shuffle iT Username: Cuzz
  • Respect: +690
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 24, 2017, 05:52:40 pm »
+1

Just had a board with NV, KC, bridge, and duplicate. Would you believe that those cards indeed interacted in a neat way?

Skumpy

• Bishop
  • Shuffle iT Username: skumpy
  • Respect: +155
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 24, 2017, 08:46:55 pm »

Just had a board with NV, KC, bridge, and duplicate. Would you believe that those cards indeed interacted in a neat way?

Do you need the Duplicate? 2 King's Court's + 3 Bridges is game. And you can just King's Court-Native Village everything if needed until you pick up your whole hand one turn.

Also, it's probably just me, but typing out the whole card name feels so satisfying.
He is (and take this in a positive light Skumpy) eccentric, flamboyant and excessive at times. His posts are ones that cause people to look at him and say "huh?"

schoeggu

• Swindler
  • Respect: +41
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: February 28, 2017, 05:28:42 am »
+1

Just played a game with Sacrifice+Fortress+Tomb..... trash-tastic!

It's insane. Add a Scheme to your deck and you're guaranteed to always start with Fortress in hand.

terminalCopper

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +517
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 28, 2017, 04:09:04 pm »
+6

Legionary / Enchantress

The best defence against Legionsry is to keep two synergic cards like village/smithy. This is nerved the hard way if the village is a cantrip.

grrgrrgrr

• Swindler
  • Respect: +22
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 03, 2017, 11:47:59 am »
+2

Lurker+Catacombs
A very neat combo, as it makes Lurker effectively a nonterminal workshop. If you play two Lurkers, you can gain yourself a Catacombs and a $4 card!
I played this combo together with Island. In one turn, the Lurker pile was empty, and the Island and Lurker piles only had three cards left. Guess what I did with my three lurkers.

Bonfire+Market Square
Very very very powerfull interaction; an incredibly easy way for gaining a shitload of Golds.

AJD

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 12, 2017, 01:18:22 am »
+1

Lost Arts plus Scheme is fun—a good way to never be stuck with a dead terminal action at the start of a turn.

(It was a Black Market game, so Lost Arts on the terminals themselves was not an option—I didn't have more than one of any key terminal.)

Chris is me

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 12, 2017, 10:15:04 am »
+1

Sacrifice + Squire

Draw your deck, Sacrifice a Squire, gain an attack, draw it, and have an extra Action to play it

bug me on discord

they/them

ackmondual

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 14, 2017, 04:07:34 am »

Treasure Trove + Palace + Fountain
Gold helps get more VP out of Palace, Copper helps get us to 15 VP, and Silver is often easy enough to buy.

Necropolis + Arena
2 VP before the first reshuffle!

Necropolis + Advance
0-cost 6-cost action card!

Delve + Tomb + Watchtower
With Watchtower in hand, as long as there are Coppers and/or Curses left, each Buy gets you 1 VP.
As long as you can spend $2, each of those will get you 1 VP as well!
Village, +2 Actions.  Village, +3 Actions.  Village, +4 Actions.  Village, +5 Actions.  Village, +6 Actions.  Village, +7 Actions.  Workers Village, +2 Buys, +8 Actions.  End Action Phase.  No Treasures to play.  No buy

Psyduck

• Bishop
  • Respect: +122
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 14, 2017, 04:39:10 am »
+1

Storyteller + Raid

Use the Storytellers and Silvers to draw a lot, then get many more Silvers. Works best with Copper/Estate trashing and +Buy.

LaLight

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: LaLight
  • Because I'm a potato
  • Respect: +655
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 14, 2017, 11:21:28 am »
+5

I just have made a beautiful combo:

Develop Peddler into Platinum/Expand, play Magpie, draw both and Expand the second Peddler into Colony. Felt so good.
Wow where is all this LaLight love coming from all of the sudden?

Wins: M87, M85, M92, M99, M107, RMM37, RMM39, RMM44, RMM45, BM24, M86, M94, M95, M100, ZM24
Losses: M88, M90, RMM38, NM8, NM9, M97, M106, RMM46, ZM23, NM10, M108
Draws: RMM40
MVPs: RMM39, RMM44
Mod/Co-mod: RMM37, M89, M93, M91, M96, RMM41, M98, M101, M102, M104, M105, M109

xyz123

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +206
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 14, 2017, 12:47:39 pm »
+2

Crossroads + Bridge Troll + non-terminal draw (other terminal durations may apply).

Had a game with Crossroads, Bridge Troll, Laboratory and no other villages.

A single Crossroads can support up to 6 terminal durations. With non-terminal draw a single Crossroads can be all the village you would want.

ackmondual

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 14, 2017, 03:29:43 pm »
+3

Treasury + Dominate
Getting the latter gets you a whole bunch of points, but you still get to recycle your Treasuries.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2017, 01:01:39 am by ackmondual »
Village, +2 Actions.  Village, +3 Actions.  Village, +4 Actions.  Village, +5 Actions.  Village, +6 Actions.  Village, +7 Actions.  Workers Village, +2 Buys, +8 Actions.  End Action Phase.  No Treasures to play.  No buy

luser

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 14, 2017, 05:23:42 pm »

everybody knows kc-scheme. Pathfinding-scheme is similar. But in recent game I found city quarter-scheme which is similar of topdecking actions then drawing lot with city quarter. and easier to pull of as you don't need spike 7/8 thanks to debt.

ackmondual

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 14, 2017, 11:39:29 pm »

Navigator + Loan
Set up your deck so Victory cards get passed over, put good Treasure towards the end, and have the Copper come between the 2 groups.  If you're going to pass up a bunch of good stuff, then you'll know not to play the Loan

Royal Blacksmith + Poor House: I just played a game with these two on a board with lots of potential for a strong engine; plenty of +Actions, huge draw from Royal Blacksmith, and +Buy...but no trashing.  Poor House is usually awful if you can't trash your Coppers, and Royal Blacksmith similarly prefers some trimming.  But together, with some village support, each Royal Blacksmith draws a bunch of cards and handily purges your hand of Coppers so you can then maximize your Poor Houses for +$4 each!

Oh, Counting House + Royal Blacksmith
Here, you're also not afraid to discard your Coppers

humcalc216

• Swindler
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 15, 2017, 12:13:38 am »
+1

Counting House + Secret Passage

Get a bunch of Secret Passages and use them to put a Counting House 5th from the bottom.  Helps to have some source of nonterminal +buy (in this case, Market) to put next to the Counting House.

From the same game:

Cellar + Secret Passage

Putting a bunch of junk on the bottom of your deck with Secret Passage?  Put a Cellar down there too!
« Last Edit: March 15, 2017, 12:16:57 am by humcalc216 »

Chris is me

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 15, 2017, 10:19:13 am »
+2

Counting House + Secret Passage

Get a bunch of Secret Passages and use them to put a Counting House 5th from the bottom.  Helps to have some source of nonterminal +buy (in this case, Market) to put next to the Counting House.

From the same game:

Cellar + Secret Passage

Putting a bunch of junk on the bottom of your deck with Secret Passage?  Put a Cellar down there too!

With cellar you have to be careful - you're generally trying to make the junk miss the reshuffle by putting it on the bottom. Warehouse or Forum may be a better choice for this weird old trick, or maybe another Secret Passage!

bug me on discord

they/them

faust

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +2331
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 16, 2017, 12:34:58 pm »
+1

Peasant/City Quarter
Seriously, these two together are basically a complete, fully functioning engine.
Since the number of points is within a constant factor of the number of city quarters, in the long run we can get (4 - ε) ↑↑ n points in n turns for any ε > 0.

Schneau

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Schneau
  • Respect: +1435
    • View Profile
    • Rainwave
« Reply #75 on: March 16, 2017, 11:35:38 pm »

Masterpiece + Triumph

Get a mega turn where you have a ton of money and 2 buys. Get tons of Silvers and 1VP for each one.

Cuzz

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 17, 2017, 07:42:41 pm »
+6

Messenger + Castles

If you're going for Castles, can gain the first couple for free w/Messenger without giving your opponent anything.

ackmondual

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 19, 2017, 04:57:20 am »

Embassy + Bandit Fort
Turn $5 into not 3pts for you (when Duchies are gone), but -2pts for everyone else.

Ambassador + Bandit Fort
4 to 6pt swing between you and each player.

AJD

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 19, 2017, 09:30:04 pm »

Dungeon is a good counter for Rabble.

Erick648

• Thief
  • Respect: +289
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 23, 2017, 09:53:37 pm »

Grand Market + Ferry + Band of Misfits

What should I use to buy my first couple Grand Markets? How about Grand Market!

This board also featured Beggar + Triumph, which, with the Grand Markets, led to a pretty juicy last turn.
Duplicate duplicates Duplicates duplicate Duplicates duplicate.

Rene Descartes taught me to believe in myself.

Eran of Arcadia

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 27, 2017, 11:27:34 am »
+1

Replacing Estates with Mills is fun.

But revealing Diplomat when someone else played Replace actually saved a couple hands for me, regardless of what they Replaced.

aku_chi

• Tactician
  • Shuffle iT Username: aku chi
  • Respect: +816
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 28, 2017, 04:43:00 pm »
+11

Masquerade + Wolf Den

With Wolf Den, a single Masquerade play could net up to 15 VP!
  • Pass a singleton card (+3 VP)
  • Receive a duplicate card - which was singleton (+3 VP)
  • Trash a singleton card (+3 VP)
  • Opponent receives a singleton card (+3 VP)
  • Opponent passes a duplicate card - dropping them to singleton (+3 VP)
That particular scenario is unlikely to manifest, but you definitely need to be aware of big point swings when these two cards are in the kingdom.  I recently played a League match against tracer where Cultist was also present; Ruins definitely increased the likelihood of large VP swings from Masquerade plays.

ackmondual

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 28, 2017, 11:35:22 pm »
+14

Villa + Tactician
ACTION: Play as many cards as you can, leaving the Tactician in your hand
BUY: Play all Treasures.  Then buy a Villa

ACTION again: Play the Tactician.  If you have at least one other card in your hand you didn't/couldn't play (e.g. Victory card), you can play the Villa before the Tactician
BUY again: spend the rest of your coins

You got to play all of your actions cards and all of your Treasures, while getting +5 cards at the start of your next turn!
« Last Edit: March 28, 2017, 11:54:03 pm by ackmondual »

4est

• Spy
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 30, 2017, 02:57:07 am »
+18

This isn't so much a neat interaction as it is a hilarious situation I'll probably never see again: Colony Dancing.

It was a Platinum/Colony board with Dominate; also Tomb, Sauna/Avanto, Crown, but without a readily usable source of + Buy (I think Spice Merchant and Ruins from Death Cart were the only possibilities?). 

We both went for Sauna/Avanto, mirroring almost identically, trashing down to overdrawing decks capable of hitting at least $14 every turn and then splitting the Dominates 3-3.  Then, with scores basically tied, we naturally followed the well-known Penultimate Dominate rule and started Colony Dancing.  We split the Colonies 3-3, and then started Duchy Dancing.  Both our decks started stalling out, with mine failing first, giving my opponent the victory, though it really could've gone either way.  Alas, I doubt I'll ever encounter such a bizarre, amusing mirror game. 

allanfieldhouse

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 30, 2017, 09:35:11 pm »
+5

Upgrade + Fortress + Donate.

Once you have two of those cards and one of the other (either way works, I think), you Donate. Next turn you can auto-pile the Upgrades.

Obviously this trick could technically work without Donate, but it's not really feasible to set it up early-game otherwise. In the game I saw this, there weren't really any other good 5's, so I put Seaway on Fortress and Upgraded all my Upgrades into Golds.

J Reggie

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: J Reggie
  • Respect: +887
    • View Profile
    • Jeff Rosenthal Music
« Reply #85 on: March 31, 2017, 12:59:28 am »
+6

Diplomat + Borrow

Make sure your first Diplomat is always a village, even without discard attacks!  It's usually better to buy Borrow even if you don't need the coin, as long as you have a reasonable chance of drawing a Diplomat.

Sharajat

• Swindler
  • Respect: +32
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 31, 2017, 11:40:10 am »
+6

Artificer+Highway

After five highways artificers are free.  That lets you play one to gain an artificer to the top of the deck.  Then you can just pile out the artificers, filling your deck with really good cantrips and potentially ending the game on the spot. 

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +9077
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 31, 2017, 11:49:06 am »
+4

Masquerade + Wolf Den

That particular scenario is unlikely to manifest, but you definitely need to be aware of big point swings when these two cards are in the kingdom.  I recently played a League match against tracer where Cultist was also present; Ruins definitely increased the likelihood of large VP swings from Masquerade plays.

I saw some big VP swings like this while playtesting Empires and Intrigue 2nd Edition. Swindler is another harsh card in Wolf Den games; its maximum VP swing is smaller, but I think its average VP swing is greater.

aku_chi

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 01, 2017, 10:00:09 am »

City Quarter + Storeroom

Storeroom can hunt for your City Quarters, actions to pair with your City Quarters (via discard for cards), and then take advantage of overdraw from later City Quarters (via discard for coin).  This works best if there's another village available.

Possession + Harbinger

Assuming this is one of those boards where you buy a Possession, build up to single Province, and then start greening: Harbinger is one of the best support cards for Possession.  Even in a large deck with poor cycling, Harbinger can help you play your single Possession almost every turn.  In the game I encountered this, there was also Alchemist, and I had no desire to get a second Possession, because the Harbingers were finding my single copy so consistently.  Scheme would also work, of course.

Avin

• Spy
  • Respect: +98
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 03, 2017, 02:01:28 pm »
+4

Peasant + Royal Carriage

Or more specifically, Disciple. You can Disciple a Royal Carriage, gaining you a Royal Carriage, and immediately repeat the Disciple with that Royal Carriage. If you are drawing your deck, then this cost you nothing, since your disciple still gets played on any other card you had wanted it on, and you get a new Royal Carriage that you can use to double something else as well.

But if you have the peasant line then you might also have a Teacher token on the Royal Carriage as well. So Discipling the RC not only gains you a new Royal Carriage, but also doubles the effect of whatever token is there.

I'm sure this was an intended combo since they both are from Adventures but I only just noticed it.

aku_chi

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: April 04, 2017, 04:38:39 pm »

Masquerade + Market Square + Villa + Save

These four cards featured in one of the fastest money games I've played (sans Donate): 5 Provinces in 11 turns.  The sixth and final Province on turn 13.  It's hard to say which of Market Square, Villa, or Save had the stronger synergy with Masquerade.  It turned out that I never needed to buy Silver and I only bought one Gold.  I ended up with three Masquerades, two Market Squares, and two Villas, ~5-6 Gold, and ~3-4 Copper.  I probably didn't play optimally.

If there's a moral to the story, it is this: Masquerade with support can lead to really fast money strategies.

McGarnacle

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: McGarnacle
  • So, ya like doughnuts, eh?
  • Respect: +555
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 05, 2017, 10:19:09 am »

Masquerade + Wolf Den

I believe this is in one of the recommended kingdoms.
This is exactly the kind of deep analysis I come to f.ds for. 

Forum Mafia Record
Town 1/2 50%
Scum 0/0

McGarnacle

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 05, 2017, 10:19:33 am »

Artificer+Highway

After five highways artificers are free.  That lets you play one to gain an artificer to the top of the deck.  Then you can just pile out the artificers, filling your deck with really good cantrips and potentially ending the game on the spot.

Yay Artificer!

Forum Mafia Record
Town 1/2 50%
Scum 0/0

Skumpy

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 07, 2017, 03:48:21 am »

I kinda feel bad about posting a Donate combo, seeing as it combos with....well, everything. But so be it.

Donate + Poor House

On your first 3 turns, pick up 2 Poor Houses and a village, if possible.
Donate your starting deck on turn 4, and by turn 6 (at the latest), you'll have a debt-free 3-card deck producing $8. Groovy!
He is (and take this in a positive light Skumpy) eccentric, flamboyant and excessive at times. His posts are ones that cause people to look at him and say "huh?"

Chris is me

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 07, 2017, 08:33:24 am »
+2

This isn't like, great, but it was sort of novel. Someone playing me yesterday opened 5/2, buying Mandarin / Mandarin / Mandarin / City Quarter. Counting Necropolis, that made their deck full of economy and 1/3 Actions. Probably not the best move on 99% of boards.

bug me on discord

they/them

JThorne

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +505
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 07, 2017, 11:23:16 am »
+1

Donate + Poor House

Donate your starting deck on turn 4, and by turn 6 (at the latest), you'll have a debt-free 3-card deck producing $8. Groovy!

Well, at least until you buy your 4th Province, at which point it has a chance of stalling if you don't draw the village, and that chance goes up with each additional Province. Sure, it seems as though six or seven Provinces should win, but the deck is missing pile control. You can't end the game. With Donate on the board, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see that lose to an engine that could do something with Alt+VP and/or piles, or maybe even raw speed.

Poor House makes such fantastic engine economy with Donate and +Actions, what you should really be doing in a kingdom where they're present is figure out how MANY Provinces you want per turn, and that number is almost certain to be more than one. Assuming there's +buy. Which, if there is, almost guarantees some kind of Megaturn since the Poor Houses themselves are super-easy to pile with extra buys. Play what you're describing, and you're likely to see

Player 1: Province
Player 2: Stuff
Player 2: More stuff
Player 2: A lot more stuff
Player 2: The other four Provinces and a Duchy.

I gotta stop thinking about Donate. I'm drooling on my keyboard.

Chris is me

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 07, 2017, 11:56:16 am »

Honestly if you miss a Village or Poor House after Province 4, you can just buy another? It'll end the game soon enough to be viable a decent chunk of the time.

bug me on discord

they/them

Skumpy

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 07, 2017, 12:02:48 pm »

Donate + Poor House

Well, at least until you buy your 4th Province, at which point it has a chance of stalling if you don't draw the village, and that chance goes up with each additional Province. Sure, it seems as though six or seven Provinces should win, but the deck is missing pile control. You can't end the game. With Donate on the board, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see that lose to an engine that could do something with Alt+VP and/or piles, or maybe even raw speed.

Poor House makes such fantastic engine economy with Donate and +Actions, what you should really be doing in a kingdom where they're present is figure out how MANY Provinces you want per turn, and that number is almost certain to be more than one. Assuming there's +buy. Which, if there is, almost guarantees some kind of Megaturn since the Poor Houses themselves are super-easy to pile with extra buys. Play what you're describing, and you're likely to see

Player 2: Stuff
Player 2: More stuff
Player 2: A lot more stuff
Player 2: The other four Provinces and a Duchy.

I gotta stop thinking about Donate. I'm drooling on my keyboard.

Well, I never said what to do once you got there, just that you have a very good consistent payload for at least a couple of turns and COULD pick up a few Provinces early on. Absolutely it's probably best to build for a little longer, especially if there's plus buy. Reading back, I can understand why you inferred it that way. My bad.

In the game I played where I found this, there weren't any +buys on the board. It went something like 4 Ports/2 Poor houses on my first 4 turns, Donate on turn 5, Diplomat (which I think was the only draw) turn 6, maybe a province or 2 next, then realized I should get a Butcher to speed up the Province pile. By turn 12, my opponent (who admittedly didn't play the board too great, as they went for Moneylender as the only trashing) had one province, while I emptied out the other 7, keeping 4. Again, it might have gone very different if there was +buy...but there wasn't.

dedicateddan

• 2017 Dominion Online Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: dan brooks
  • Respect: +754
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 10, 2017, 01:18:56 pm »
+1

When you inherit Border Village, you can Border Village for Estate (Border Village)

The estate normally gains a 0-1 cost card. But if you reduce its cost to 0, you gain nothing

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2387
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 13, 2017, 06:02:06 am »
+3

Beggar + Steward + Triumph + Tomb

Beggar gots lot of Triumph points. Steward trashed the coppers for Tomb points. I lost this game though because I did not plan it out as well as I should have.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2017, 06:04:33 am by Beyond Awesome »

luser

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: April 13, 2017, 11:59:59 am »
+4

Finally managed to get working bureaucrat pin. It was game with forge, kc and storyteller. I could get 3 silvers each turn that turned into platinum with forge for storyteller draw.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9095
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 13, 2017, 01:24:40 pm »
+2

IGG-Triumph

You want to gain those Coppers on your turn anyway.  Might as well take 4-5 points for 5 Debt!

Honorable mention: Masterpiece-Triumph.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

jamfamsam

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: jamfamsam
  • Respect: +1154
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 24, 2017, 07:51:08 pm »
+9

Alms-Villa

Don't put your treasures in play. Pick up a free Villa. Put your treasures in play and buy something else.
"There is no extra charge for awesomeness..."

AJD

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 24, 2017, 11:02:23 pm »

Alms-Villa

Don't put your treasures in play. Pick up a free Villa. Put your treasures in play and buy something else.

Better than Borrow!

gloures

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: gloures
  • Respect: +142
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 25, 2017, 12:13:46 am »
+2

Ill-Gotten Gains/Banquet

Coppers are actually quite decent already in your standard Ill-Gotten Gains/Duchy rush, and chances are you´ll be able to buy IGG in all your 10 starting turns, most engines would really struggle to get going under those conditions (specially if you are first player and give out two curses before the first shuffle)...

BBL

• Coppersmith
  • Respect: +75
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: April 25, 2017, 03:17:26 pm »

Mine & Royal Carriage on a Colony Board

Not sure, if I overrate colliding two 5s, but going from Silver to Platinum at Turn 6 still felt pretty nice, as well as turning all Coppers into Platinum over the course of the game.

Cave-o-sapien

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 28, 2017, 12:31:38 pm »
+2

Alms-Villa

I just recently had a game with Villa + Poor House that was a variation on this. Play all treasures, buy Villa, play Villa + Poor House.

Cave-o-sapien

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 28, 2017, 12:44:35 pm »
+12

Salvager+Alms+Bonfire

Salvage an Estate, play two coppers, buy Bonfire, trash the coppers, buy Alms and gain something useful.

It felt a little like I'd duct-taped together my own ersatz Chapel.

J Reggie

• Minion
    • View Profile
    • Jeff Rosenthal Music
« Reply #108 on: April 30, 2017, 11:17:47 pm »

Ill-Gotten Gains/Banquet

Coppers are actually quite decent already in your standard Ill-Gotten Gains/Duchy rush, and chances are you´ll be able to buy IGG in all your 10 starting turns, most engines would really struggle to get going under those conditions (specially if you are first player and give out two curses before the first shuffle)...

I had a game with this. I'd go so far as to call it a combo. Cue Awaclus.

Derg17

• Bishop
  • Shuffle iT Username: Derg17
  • Respect: +71
    • View Profile
+1

City Quarter - Rats

There was no other trashing. It's always fun to find a strong rats board.
twitch.tv/derg17
My youtube channel

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile

Ill-Gotten Gains/Banquet

It's a rush, not a combo.

AJD

• Margrave
    • View Profile
+3

Ill-Gotten Gains/Banquet

trivialknot

• Witch
  • Respect: +676
    • View Profile
+1

Treasure Map / Triumph is a known synergy.  Play treasure maps, buy Triumph, get 5 points while easily paying off debt the next turn.

Well, I played a game with Treasure Map, Triumph, and Traveling Fair.  I spent several turns alternating between playing Treasure Maps and buying Triumph, and buying Traveling Fair/double T-map.  To cap it all off, Baker let me open double T-map.  Of course, I still lost.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile

Ill-Gotten Gains/Banquet

I recently played a game with this very cool combo in it! Smithy+Silver!

Chris is me

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
+4

Ill-Gotten Gains/Banquet

Please keep discussions of comboes out of this thread if you can. The scope of this thread was intentionally defined to try and prevent this discussion, just so we could focus on talking about neat ways cards interact with each other.

bug me on discord

they/them

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile

Please keep discussions of comboes out of this thread if you can. The scope of this thread was intentionally defined to try and prevent this discussion, just so we could focus on talking about neat ways cards interact with each other.

I thought this was a "Best Dominion moments" variant thread.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +9077
    • View Profile

Alms-Villa

I only had to play a few Alms/Villa games before I never wanted to play another Alms/Villa game again.

4est

• Spy
    • View Profile
+8

Coin of the Realm + Storyteller

Coin of the Realm is an excellent source of cheap +Actions since you can call it exactly when you need it (for what's effectively +3 Actions since it doesn't use an action), but it suffers from two downsides: first, when they're not on your mat, they're effectively coppers and too many can clog your deck; secondly, you can't usually call it on the turn you play it since it's a Treasure that is usually played during your buy phase, which basically means you only get the +Actions effect every other turn. 

Storyteller resolves both of the above downsides beautifully.  First, it turns your CotRs into draw, and then it immediately puts them onto your Tavern Mat during your action phase so you can use them later during the same turn.  I recently used this interaction on a board without other +Actions to keep my Goons engine firing each turn. 

faust

• Torturer
    • View Profile

Advance - Villa

This is pretty neat even outside of "win on turn 2" solutions.

Starting the turn with a bunch a bunch of terminals? Advance one into Villa, continue turn. Only $4 to spend and want a more expensive action? Buy Villa and Advance.
Since the number of points is within a constant factor of the number of city quarters, in the long run we can get (4 - ε) ↑↑ n points in n turns for any ε > 0.

Chris is me

• Mountebank
    • View Profile

Advance - Villa

This is pretty neat even outside of "win on turn 2" solutions.

Starting the turn with a bunch a bunch of terminals? Advance one into Villa, continue turn. Only $4 to spend and want a more expensive action? Buy Villa and Advance.

You can't buy Villa and Advance (trashing Villa) on the same turn without a different source of +Buy.

(Remember what I said about "the game you found them in"...)

bug me on discord

they/them

luser

• Tactician
    • View Profile
+2

remake/advance/poor house is insane. With buy in board in makes getting lot of five cards easy.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2017, 04:52:51 am by luser »

4est

• Spy
    • View Profile
+4

Chariot Race + Secret Passage

Chariot Race has so much potential to be a fantastic source of VP: cheap, peddler-variant, and easily spammable, but its randomness makes it unreliable--paying $3 for what are often just plain cantrips half the time isn't so great.  There basically are two primary ways to make Chariot Race activate more consistently: A) have a higher average value deck than your opponent, or B) control what's on top of your deck. 

Secret Passage is tailor-made for controlling the top of your deck and activating your Chariot Races.  With Chariot Race in hand, playing Secret Passage allows you to drop the most expensive card in your hand on top, like a $5, a Gold, or a Province, to vastly increase your chances of getting the coin and VP.  Even better, you're happy buying lots of both cards since they're both non-terminal, and each pair can practically guarantee each of your Chariot Races are enabled.  I played game the other day where a single Gold was my expensive card that I could repeatedly drop back on top with each of my Secret Passages and redraw with each of my Chariot Races, generating 5-7 VP every single turn thereafter.  With another strong terminal attack to slow your opponent down (in my game it was Ghost Ship), you can pile the Secret Passages and Chariot Races and then theoretically earn points almost infinitely without ever greening. 

J Reggie

• Minion
    • View Profile
    • Jeff Rosenthal Music

But doesn't Ghost Ship kind of anti-synergize with Chariot Race?

4est

• Spy
    • View Profile

But doesn't Ghost Ship kind of anti-synergize with Chariot Race?

At least in that particular game, I'd always play Ghost Ship last, after all my other actions, so my opponent couldn't put something expensive on top to try and stop my Chariot Races.  But really, which specific terminal attack you use isn't all that important here, it's just another component that can supplement the Chariot Race/Secret Passage synergy to slow them down in building up a higher cost average deck.  Even without an attack, Chariot Race/Secret Passage seems like it can be pretty good interaction on its own. 

drsteelhammer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: drsteelhammer
  • Respect: +1416
    • View Profile

On a board with no village or non terminal draw, Chariot race might slightly mitigate the downside of the attack, but definitely not antisynergize.
Join the Dominion League!

There is no bad shuffle that can not be surmounted by scorn.

luser

• Tactician
    • View Profile

Got another interaction with chariot race - sea hag. It needs good trashing to make hag otherwise ignorable but you topdeck curse just for lot of vp even if its trashed next turn

AJD

• Margrave
    • View Profile

Similarly, from a game I just played—it's not like Chariot Race is a strong counter to Rabble or anything, but once you've trashed your Estates and started buying Provinces, it's nice to know that on a turn when you've been Rabbled, at least your Chariot Races will probably score.

benedettosoxfan

• Steward
  • Shuffle iT Username: benedettosoxfan
  • Respect: +53
    • View Profile

I'm not sure how well known this, but I found that playing a Band of Misfits as a Conspirator counts as two actions. The Band of Misfits counts as one action, and then playing it as a Conspirator counts as a second action, so you only need to play one preliminary action card before the Band of Misfits to get the Conspirator's effect to activate.
I haven't tried this yet, but I'm guessing that playing Band of Misfits would also cause Peddler's price to drop more rapidly.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile

I'm not sure how well known this, but I found that playing a Band of Misfits as a Conspirator counts as two actions. The Band of Misfits counts as one action, and then playing it as a Conspirator counts as a second action, so you only need to play one preliminary action card before the Band of Misfits to get the Conspirator's effect to activate.
I haven't tried this yet, but I'm guessing that playing Band of Misfits would also cause Peddler's price to drop more rapidly.

Peddler doesn't care how many Actions you have played, it cares how many you have in play. So BoM only counts as one.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
+8

Treasury/Dominate

You may have gained a Province, but you didn't buy one, so all those Treasuries go back on your deck.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

LaLight

• Minion
  • Because I'm a potato
    • View Profile
+4

Overlord as BoM as Conspirator is instaactivated :)

Wins: M87, M85, M92, M99, M107, RMM37, RMM39, RMM44, RMM45, BM24, M86, M94, M95, M100, ZM24

SirClemens

• Navigator
  • A very creative personal text
  • Respect: +468
    • View Profile

Overlord as BoM as Conspirator is instaactivated :)

Only if you reduced Conspirator's cost to zero. Your Overlord played as BoM emulates a card costing less than 8 debt.
Too bad Dominion doesn't have Gunpowder.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
+7

Only if you reduced Conspirator's cost to zero. Your Overlord played as BoM emulates a card costing less than 8 debt.

Your Overlord played as BoM costs $5, not , as long as it's in play. If it's in the trash by the time you play it, then that's how it would work.

SirClemens

• Navigator
  • A very creative personal text
  • Respect: +468
    • View Profile

Your Overlord played as BoM costs $5, not , as long as it's in play. If it's in the trash by the time you play it, then that's how it would work.

Thanks for the clarification!
Too bad Dominion doesn't have Gunpowder.

xyz123

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
+3

Small Castle + Lurker (Graverobber and Rogue would also work)

If you are able to retrieve Small Castle from the trash after playing it, you can play it again later to gain further Castles.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: June 02, 2017, 06:30:44 pm »
+2

Sacrifice/Rogue/[Nobles]

Sacrifice something for the effect, then take it back with Rogue.  Works best with hybrid cards: Nobles, Harem, Mill, etc. get you a lot of bang for your buck.

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: June 03, 2017, 02:21:09 pm »

Bridge Troll/Ferry/Villa

Because occasionally, you just want to empty a pile in one turn to prove you can.

Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

JThorne

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: June 03, 2017, 02:38:52 pm »

Because occasionally, you just want to empty a pile in one turn to prove you can.

Did that with Highway/Forum once. Highway will take its +buys where it can get them.

LaLight

• Minion
  • Because I'm a potato
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: June 03, 2017, 03:42:36 pm »

Bridge Troll/Ferry/Villa

Quarry/ferry opening gives in on t3. I did it once in a league game, don't have the number tho :(

JThorne

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: June 04, 2017, 09:17:22 am »

All this talk of piling out Villas makes me want to take a moment to offer a special message to all of the non-drawing Villages out there. Villa, Shanty Town, Festival, Squire, sometimes even Nobles. Sometimes you guys are great. Sometimes you're the only source of +Action and we have to live with you. Other times, you're just Necropolises (Necropoli?) with delusions of grandeur, offering us a +buy and maybe some coin in a desperate attempt to make us like you. (Fishing Village and Native Village, you guys get a pass.)

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: June 04, 2017, 10:03:43 am »
+1

Necropoles.

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Prepare to be boarded!
    • View Profile

jamfamsam

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: June 04, 2017, 11:58:15 pm »

Advancing Rats was kind of fun.

Accatitippi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Accatitippi
  • Silver is underraided
  • Respect: +1637
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: June 05, 2017, 04:02:04 am »
+3

Necropoleis.

#greekisnotajoke

AJD

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: June 06, 2017, 01:40:31 am »
+3

Familiar/Apothecary/Transmogrify! Once the Curses have been handed out, transmogrify your Familiars into Apothecaries and your Curses into Coppers.

Eran of Arcadia

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: June 12, 2017, 02:43:01 pm »
+2

Played a RL game last night. Chose Lurker, Fortress and Tower. Did not realize the synergy. My wife immediately picked it up and used it to beat me.

Jacob marley

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: June 12, 2017, 04:29:24 pm »

Settlers and Forager.  The settlers can find your untrashed coppers in your discard.  Works for other trash from your hand cards as well.

Cave-o-sapien

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: June 12, 2017, 04:33:53 pm »
+1

Played a RL game last night. Chose Lurker, Fortress and Tower. Did not realize the synergy. My wife immediately picked it up and used it to beat me.

I was really disappointed in myself for not noticing Lurker/Fortress the first time I encountered it.

Accatitippi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Accatitippi
  • Silver is underraided
  • Respect: +1637
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: June 12, 2017, 04:39:52 pm »
+2

I was thinking "what has watchtower to do with Lurker/Fortress" and "does he know that you can't topdeck a fortress you lurk" for a couple of minutes before realizing that it was Tower and not Watchtower.

Dominion is running out of things to put on cards.

Eran of Arcadia

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: June 13, 2017, 12:59:17 pm »

I usually win - and I usually pick up the synergies/combos that she doesn't notice - so it was a very satisfying moment for her.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile

Cave-o-sapien

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: June 13, 2017, 02:57:43 pm »
+1

I was thinking "what has watchtower to do with Lurker/Fortress" and "does he know that you can't topdeck a fortress you lurk" for a couple of minutes before realizing that it was Tower and not Watchtower.

Dominion is running out of things to put on cards.

http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=17009

"Sir Merchant's Castle Market"

Jfrisch

• Golem
  • Respect: +139
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: June 15, 2017, 10:46:41 pm »
+4

Inheritance, Quarry, Grandmarket

2 cost GMs starting on turn 8.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +7112
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: June 16, 2017, 02:15:19 pm »

The Quarry + Inheritance sounds like anti-synergy to me. If you are going to be getting your Grand Markets by buying Estates, then Quarry isn't helping you there; it's just a Copper. If you are able to buy lots of real Grand Markets because you have Quarry in your deck, then Inheritance isn't making Grand Market that much easier to get. Though it does increase the supply of available Grand Markets by a lot.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

drsteelhammer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: drsteelhammer
  • Respect: +1416
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: June 16, 2017, 02:18:09 pm »
+8

The Quarry + Inheritance sounds like anti-synergy to me. If you are going to be getting your Grand Markets by buying Estates, then Quarry isn't helping you there; it's just a Copper. If you are able to buy lots of real Grand Markets because you have Quarry in your deck, then Inheritance isn't making Grand Market that much easier to get. Though it does increase the supply of available Grand Markets by a lot.

Actually, Quarry is helping you a lot there because Grand Markets cost more than
Join the Dominion League!

There is no bad shuffle that can not be surmounted by scorn.

Cave-o-sapien

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: June 16, 2017, 02:32:04 pm »

Actually, Quarry is helping you a lot there because Grand Markets cost more than

I had a game with a similar trick: Highway + Ferry. Cost reducers are a nice combo with Events where the cost restriction is only enforced at the time of purchase.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: June 16, 2017, 02:50:59 pm »

Totally confused... if you have an Inheritance Token on Grand Market, then pseudo Grand Markets costs you $2, and Quarry doesn't reduce their cost.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Mic Qsenoch

• 2015 DS Champion
  • Respect: +3971
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: June 16, 2017, 03:11:53 pm »
+2

Totally confused... if you have an Inheritance Token on Grand Market, then pseudo Grand Markets costs you $2, and Quarry doesn't reduce their cost.

You can't Inherit the Grand Markets at all without some sort of cost reduction (Inheritance is restricted to cards costing up to $4).

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +1928
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: June 16, 2017, 03:24:10 pm »

You can't Inherit the Grand Markets at all without some sort of cost reduction (Inheritance is restricted to cards costing up to $4).

I think the idea is that Quarry allows you to Inherit Grand Market in the first place.

Mic Qsenoch

• 2015 DS Champion
  • Respect: +3971
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: June 16, 2017, 03:25:50 pm »

I think the idea is that Quarry allows you to Inherit Grand Market in the first place.

I know, that's what I was explaining.

Jfrisch

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: June 16, 2017, 03:36:14 pm »

I guess my comment was too brief, but Mic and Steel have it right. Quarry was necessary to inherit GM in the firstplace. (Highway/bridge/bridgetroll would also have worked but would have been much slower)

Limetime

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: limetime
  • Respect: +1117
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: June 16, 2017, 11:03:42 pm »

I guess my comment was too brief, but Mic and Steel have it right. Quarry was necessary to inherit GM in the firstplace. (Highway/bridge/bridgetroll would also have worked but would have been much slower)
I think ferry is faster

singletee

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: June 16, 2017, 11:14:58 pm »
+2

Capital provides a nice way to rack up Basilica points.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: June 18, 2017, 10:31:03 am »
+1

AH!! Ok, of course. I don't think I've actually had an Inheritance game since before Adventures was released, so I didn't remember that part of the card.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: June 22, 2017, 04:41:26 pm »

Mint/Tomb.  (With no other good trashing)  Free points!

In this case, helped out by IGG.  Play three IGGs, play three Copper, buy Mint, 6 points and got rid of effectively Coppers.

JW

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: JW
  • Respect: +1102
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: June 22, 2017, 06:02:56 pm »
+3

AH!! Ok, of course. I don't think I've actually had an Inheritance game since before Adventures was released, so I didn't remember that part of the card.

If you aren't seeing Inheritance on the online client, check your familiar cards settings. It was marked unfamiliar for everyone before it was implemented, and when it was implemented that setting was not changed (at least for me), so bot/unrated games won't have Inheritance unless you changed the setting.

AJD

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: June 24, 2017, 12:05:02 pm »

Orchard/Inheritance!

Orchard gives you 4 points for each Action you have three copies of; Inheritance creates a new Action that you probably already have three copies of.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: June 25, 2017, 11:05:37 am »

If you aren't seeing Inheritance on the online client, check your familiar cards settings. It was marked unfamiliar for everyone before it was implemented, and when it was implemented that setting was not changed (at least for me), so bot/unrated games won't have Inheritance unless you changed the setting.

Thanks, but I don't play online these days.

luser

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: June 25, 2017, 02:58:32 pm »

Ferry/highway isn't synergy as most of time you want to ferry another card for draw etc. Highway is weak early, spending one turn to ferry and several on essentially peddlers is move that loses game. Its basic draw your deck first, then you could add highways as payload even without cost reduction.

Chris is me

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: June 25, 2017, 11:39:09 pm »
+4

Ferry/highway isn't synergy as most of time you want to ferry another card for draw etc. Highway is weak early, spending one turn to ferry and several on essentially peddlers is move that loses game. Its basic draw your deck first, then you could add highways as payload even without cost reduction.

this is horrendously simplified advice that will definitely make many, many people who follow it lose the split in games where the split really does matter

bug me on discord

they/them

singletee

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: July 15, 2017, 04:07:53 am »
+12

Advance + Travelling Fair + Ruins

This is an especially good case of Advance + (easily accessible +Buy) + (cheap action).

Buy Traveling Fair on turn 1 and buy 2-3 Ruins, topdecking 1-2 (depending on how much you want to risk not hitting $2 next turn). Then on turn 2 you can Advance at least one Ruins into something good, also topdecking your buy(s) if you had the 2 Coppers to afford Travelling Fair again.

In the game I found this in, I had 2 Swamp Hags, 2 Forums, a Farming Village and 2 Nobles by the end of turn 5.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2017, 03:43:19 pm by singletee »

JacquesTheBard

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +246
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: July 15, 2017, 05:31:23 am »
+2

Has anyone mentioned Baron / Bonfire?

Bonfire trashes very quickly, with the downside that your deck has less overall economy and still has estates floating around. Baron in a deck that's been reduced mostly to estates is perfect for hitting $5 after you've successfully thinned with bonfire.

tim17

• Spy
  • Respect: +140
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: July 22, 2017, 02:59:56 am »
+3

Played a game the other day with University + Pillage. Pillage is known for being an underwhelming card, some of its drawbacks:

1. It's too slow. Once you buy pillage, you have to wait to draw and play it, and then you have to wait again until you draw the spoils to use the spoils it gives to generate actual economy from it.

2. The attack, while it can be good, sometimes doesn't do a whole lot.

3. It's usually not worth using a buy and 5 coins on.

University often helps address all of these. On a board with enough of an engine to draw the deck (not too hard to achieve with university), you can often play the pillage the same turn you gain it (and then maybe even play the spoils too if you have enough draw), speeding things up considerably (addressing point 1).

For the 2nd point, the attack can actually be quite powerful in this situation if you can use it to prevent your opponent from firing. If the engine consists of say university for actions and some sort of terminal draw, then unless your opponent has at least 2 of each of these in hand, a pillage play means your opponent probably won't be able to kick off. This is nice, especially if you're playing pillage every turn (easier to do because of point 1).

For the 3rd point, well, you're just going to gain pillage with University. Probably your 5 universities are giving you plenty of gains of action cards so this is a pretty low cost.

The game I played had these two cards along with chapel and patrol and no other villages or draw (as well as no other coin from action cards). Pretty much the ideal situation for pillage being good, though I suspect that pillage and university still work well together even in somewhat less favorable circumstances.

Q

• Salvager
  • Respect: +8
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: July 23, 2017, 02:36:55 am »

The attack, while it can be good, sometimes doesn't do a whole lot.

For the 2nd point, the attack can actually be quite powerful in this situation if you can use it to prevent your opponent from firing.

The second claim is closer to the truth. Discarding the best card from hand is a nasty attack. But the benefical part of Pillage is not that brilliant. Absent gainers you rarely want more than one or two of those and use them to kick-start your economy, not to maintain it (which wouldn't work as you'd have to spend nearly all the coins you get from the two Spoils to buy another Pillage).

With gainers on the other hand (be it University, Artisan, Workshop variants plus Highway or trash-gainers like Lurker, Graverobber amdRogue) you don't have to spend 5 coins to get 6 one-shot coins which is why with such gainers Pillage can become the main payload in an engine.

teamlyle

• Baron
  • Shuffle iT Username: La-Ya
  • Did you know that cashews come from a fruit?
  • Respect: +95
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: July 24, 2017, 09:50:30 pm »
+1

Has anyone mentioned Villa + draw to X? If your hand is Library-Copper-Copper-Copper-Copper, play 4 coppers to buy a villa, then play it and then library to draw 7 cards :D
Please join Forum Survivor season 4!

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: July 25, 2017, 07:44:57 am »
+2

Has anyone mentioned Villa + draw to X? If your hand is Library-Copper-Copper-Copper-Copper, play 4 coppers to buy a villa, then play it and then library to draw 7 cards :D

I never knew you played Dominion.

Cuzz

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: July 25, 2017, 04:11:17 pm »
+4

This was going to go in Rules Questions because I was really confused about this until I read the text of Donate carefully, but Borrow + Donate gives you an extra $1 with no drawback on any turn in which you buy Donate (essentially reducing the cost of Donate to 7D).

Ironically I discovered this in a game where I was trying to do Borrow/Diplomat things.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: July 25, 2017, 04:51:05 pm »

This was going to go in Rules Questions because I was really confused about this until I read the text of Donate carefully, but Borrow + Donate gives you an extra $1 with no drawback on any turn in which you buy Donate (essentially reducing the cost of Donate to 7D).

Ironically I discovered this in a game where I was trying to do Borrow/Diplomat things.

Also works with Outpost!

Not so much with Expedition...

Cave-o-sapien

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: July 26, 2017, 12:37:59 pm »
+2

Prince/Storeroom + Guide

Storeroom is set aside with Prince. At the start of your turn you discard everything twice with Storeroom to get as many coins as you had cards in hand, then call Guide to get 5 cards again.

This was fun in a "would this really work?" way, but I'm not sure how effective it was.

Chris is me

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: July 26, 2017, 03:09:33 pm »
+1

Prince/Storeroom + Guide

Storeroom is set aside with Prince. At the start of your turn you discard everything twice with Storeroom to get as many coins as you had cards in hand, then call Guide to get 5 cards again.

This was fun in a "would this really work?" way, but I'm not sure how effective it was.

You can also choose to discard only once, or discard less than all cards the first time, in order to be more strategic about triggering shuffles and ensuring you don't have key cards miss the shuffle by triggering it too early. I dunno, this seems pretty neat particularly if you lack other +Buy and terminal space. Probably not worth going out of your way for.

bug me on discord

they/them

Eran of Arcadia

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #180 on: August 07, 2017, 09:13:56 am »
+5

Played a game where City Quarter and Scheme came in handy. I'd Scheme 2 City Quarters, then at the start of my turn I'd get the Schemes back along with pretty much everything else. I'd actually end my turn once I had my 2 Golds and a Silver - the downside of playing IRL is that when you have a cranky 2 month old and an annoyed wife, you don't always want to do as much as you can.

xyz123

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: August 08, 2017, 04:39:11 pm »
+1

Sea Hag + Chariot Race

Just had this come up in a game. If you can play Chariot Race after Sea Hag, you know your opponent's top card is worth 0.

dedicateddan

• 2017 Dominion Online Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: dan brooks
  • Respect: +754
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: August 12, 2017, 03:17:58 am »
+2

Emporium + Watchtower + Rogue + King's Court

Use King's Court to play a bunch of Rogues

Gain and Emporium and trash it to Watchtower

Repeat for boundless VP

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: August 12, 2017, 03:53:32 am »

I did something like that before. It was impressive.

rubikbeggar

• Ambassador
  • Shuffle iT Username: mistgun
  • Respect: +9
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: August 12, 2017, 05:44:14 pm »

But to gain the of Emporium, you need to have 5 actions in play, and repeating Rogue with KC counts only as two. So you would need other actions, no ?

Eran of Arcadia

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: August 14, 2017, 09:24:12 am »
+2

Another minor one: played a game where I kept drawing my Settlers and Bustling Villages right after reshuffles, but luckily I had Oasis and Warehouse to help out.

McGarnacle

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: August 14, 2017, 05:03:09 pm »

Cartographer/Scrying Pool is extremely strong.

Forum Mafia Record
Town 1/2 50%
Scum 0/0

schadd

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: schadd
  • lockjaw
  • Respect: +1220
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: August 14, 2017, 05:43:52 pm »
+4

watchtower + replace (any remodel to a lesser extent)

not pictured: vsiewnar reveals watchtower
I thought you thought it was a slip because I said 'Jake's partners' instead of 'Roadrunner7671.'
5-6
i'll come runnin, if you love me today

Chaos

• Steward
  • Respect: +29
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: August 14, 2017, 11:28:15 pm »
+1

Forum + bridge/highway/bridge troll

Make everything cost at least 5 coin less and you can pile out the forums for 0 coin and 0 buys.

J Reggie

• Minion
    • View Profile
    • Jeff Rosenthal Music
« Reply #189 on: August 14, 2017, 11:59:26 pm »
+1

Watchtower/Artisan: this is pretty narrow, but it recently helped me in a game. If you've got a terminal collision, you can topdeck the thing you gained with Artisan as well as another card. Say, village and watchtower.

rubikbeggar

• Ambassador
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: August 16, 2017, 09:39:15 am »
+1

I just had a game with Watchtower, Charm+Talisman and Triumph... completed by a perfect structure of 4 Saunas + 5 Avantos. So you draw your whole deck, you play your 3 Silvers and your 7 Charms, with only 1 on +;+buy. Then you buy a card, gain 6 other cards, trash the 7 with WT, buy Triumph, trash the Estate and +8! (each turn)

Wow.

Omastar68

• Thief
  • Shuffle iT Username: Omastar68
  • Respect: +43
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: August 16, 2017, 11:50:22 am »

Found this yesterday on a board w/ Artisan where you also wanted to get a Prince if Throne Rooms. I had 12 buys of 64 one time I think.

Counterfeit and Capital, you get 12 from Capital but since you don't discard it from play you get no debt. Pretty crazy w/ Throne Roomed Artisans(I was Throne Rooming other Throne Rooms, and drawing w/ Margrave and Alchemist.)

rubikbeggar

• Ambassador
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: August 16, 2017, 05:31:02 pm »
+2

Lurker+Golem

Open double Lurker, gain a Golem with the Lurkers.
Then buy Lurkers and gain Golems, in no time you are able to gain several high-cost Actions in one turn.

There is also Armory+Mystic
It's obvious, but nice when you need a particular cheap card.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 06:10:14 pm by rubikbeggar »

heron

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: heron
  • Respect: +1107
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: August 18, 2017, 02:33:22 am »
+1

Courtyard + Farming Village is pretty good. Normally courtyard is pretty weak draw but if you can topdeck a green or a curse and then play farming village it's almost as good as smithy.

Triumph44

• Baron
  • Respect: +39
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: August 19, 2017, 01:08:41 pm »
+4

Villa with Messenger and Counting House.  You use your Messenger to discard your deck, then if you have a Counting House in hand, you buy a Villa, play the Villa, then play the Counting House and pick up all your Coppers.  Also when you buy Messengers, you can pick up an extra Copper for yourself and give one to your opponent, who probably doesn't want it.

McGarnacle

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: August 19, 2017, 01:19:15 pm »

Villa with Messenger and Counting House.  You use your Messenger to discard your deck, then if you have a Counting House in hand, you buy a Villa, play the Villa, then play the Counting House and pick up all your Coppers.  Also when you buy Messengers, you can pick up an extra Copper for yourself and give one to your opponent, who probably doesn't want it.

This is actually genius. I want to try this.

Forum Mafia Record
Town 1/2 50%
Scum 0/0

Triumph44

• Baron
  • Respect: +39
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: August 19, 2017, 01:28:15 pm »

This is actually genius. I want to try this.

Got 8 Colonies in 23 turns - I honestly don't know if that's good or not, but it seems pretty good.  There was also Prince on the board and I did manage to Prince a Messenger late in the game which made this much easier.  My opponent also cottoned to this strategy and bought out the Villas finally, but there was no real draw on the board that would make a Villa/X engine possible.

AJD

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: August 20, 2017, 01:30:43 am »
+5

Turns out Prince is not very good in an Enchantress game, you guys.

J Reggie

• Minion
    • View Profile
    • Jeff Rosenthal Music
« Reply #198 on: August 20, 2017, 08:30:35 am »

It can be really good if you Prince something like a Pearl Diver.

Dylan32

• Bishop
  • Shuffle iT Username: Dylan32
  • Respect: +109
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: August 20, 2017, 03:04:02 pm »

It can be really good if you Prince something like a Pearl Diver.

Yeah enchantress's attack is sooo brutal that spending 8 to play a pearl diver first every turn is worth it. /s  :P
Forum Mafia Record - Wins: 6 - NM9, M97, RMM41, M99, M102, M104; Losses 7 - RMM37, M89, M94, M95, M96, M100, M109; MVPs: 1 - NM9

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
  • Respect: +3914
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: August 20, 2017, 03:06:36 pm »

If the engine is the way to go, I can see Princing a Pearl Diver to have a village effect if no other village is around.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2017, 03:08:31 pm by Qvist »

Dylan32

• Bishop
  • Shuffle iT Username: Dylan32
  • Respect: +109
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: August 20, 2017, 03:09:19 pm »

If the engine is the way to go, I can see Princing a Pearl Diver to have a village effect.

Ok, when you include considerations like that, it might be worth it. But if your only concern is avoiding enchantress, probably not.
Forum Mafia Record - Wins: 6 - NM9, M97, RMM41, M99, M102, M104; Losses 7 - RMM37, M89, M94, M95, M96, M100, M109; MVPs: 1 - NM9

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: August 20, 2017, 03:11:40 pm »
+7

Yeah enchantress's attack is sooo brutal that spending 8 to play a pearl diver first every turn is worth it. /s  :P

Well, if spending 6 to play a Ruined Library first every turn is worth it, then spending 8 to play Pearl Diver doesn't seem that crazy either.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +1928
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: August 20, 2017, 05:55:14 pm »
+2

Well, if spending 6 to play a Ruined Library first every turn is worth it, then spending 8 to play Pearl Diver doesn't seem that crazy either.

And weren't we just talking about how good the Dungeon duration was? Free Pearl Diver, with its extra action, is comparable.

Also, literally princing Ruined Library gives you more benefit when you opponent plays Enchantress.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2017, 05:56:32 pm by markusin »

ConMan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1410
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: August 20, 2017, 08:35:59 pm »
+5

My last game had some really neat Lurker combos:

Border Village
Catacombs
Apprentice
Fortress

So I could trash a BV with Apprentice, re-gain it with Lurker, and get a free $5 or cheaper card. Or I could trash a Catacombs from the supply for a free $4 or cheaper. Or trash a Fortress from the supply to put it in my hand.

rubikbeggar

• Ambassador
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: August 24, 2017, 08:06:16 am »
+1

Regarding to these "combos", I think Lurker is the most op card after You-Know-Who

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: August 24, 2017, 08:10:06 am »
+1

Regarding to these "combos", I think Lurker is the most op card after You-Know-Who

It's not. Usually the interactions aren't there.

teamlyle

• Baron
  • Shuffle iT Username: La-Ya
  • Did you know that cashews come from a fruit?
  • Respect: +95
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: August 24, 2017, 08:47:37 am »

You-Know-Who

I actually don't know who. Fool's gold?
Please join Forum Survivor season 4!

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Drab Emordnilap
  • Luther Bell Hendricks V
  • Respect: +1835
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: August 24, 2017, 10:26:17 am »
+1

Cuzz

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: August 24, 2017, 10:30:32 am »

I think lurker is becoming one of my least favorite cards, but maybe I just haven't figured it out quite yet.

rubikbeggar

• Ambassador
    • View Profile
« Reply #210 on: August 24, 2017, 12:09:19 pm »
+1

You-Know-Who

Chapel, presumably.
Yes, exactly.

I think lurker is becoming one of my least favorite cards, but maybe I just haven't figured it out quite yet.
Well, personally I like it because it's game-warping, but I accept that for the same reason others don't like it.

But sorry to have brought up the subject here, we should stop :

Post interactions between multiple cards here which result in novel, interesting, and/or particularly effective synergy.

at some point in the future someone is going to cite this post as a reason something shouldn't get posted
True  ;D

aku_chi

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: August 26, 2017, 12:36:25 pm »
+14

Travelling Fair + Overlord

One of the few ways to play a $5 action on turn 2!  Sometimes, this is completely bonkers.

Game #6309292 vs. Rabid
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RjPIdImPo4&feature=youtu.be&t=1786

The board included Trading Post, Stables, and Butcher.
Turn 1: I topdecked an Overlord.
Turn 2: Over-Post trashed an Estate and Copper for Silver.
Turn 3: Over-Post trashed my other two Estates for Silver and I topdecked another Overlord.
Turn 4: I trashed Coppers with Over-Post.
Turn 5: I drew with Over-Stables, trashed Coppers with Over-Post, and bought a Stables.
Turn 6: I drew with Stables and Over-Stables, trashed Coppers with Over-Post, and bought a Province.
Turn 7: I drew my deck, milled Province with Over-Butcher, and bought a Province.  Rabid resigned.
I looked poised to empty the Provinces (with at least 4) by turn 10.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2017, 05:57:43 pm by aku_chi »

Chaos

• Steward
  • Respect: +29
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: August 28, 2017, 09:46:41 pm »
+1

Butcher Border Village to get 2 coin tokens and gain another Border Village plus whatever sweet 4-5 cost card.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: August 28, 2017, 10:29:18 pm »

Overlord is a really good card. Most people don't buy it enough.

jamfamsam

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: August 28, 2017, 11:47:37 pm »
+4

Voldemort, of course.

4est

• Spy
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: August 29, 2017, 08:44:24 am »
+3

Governor + Aqueduct

Aqueduct usually doesn't come into play that much, since who buys Silver and Gold these days?  But in a Governor mirror, Aqueduct can become an easy way to take a significant surprise VP lead, at the cost of gaining an early green card. 

Every time you use Governor to gain a Gold, it also distributes a Silver, potentially adding 2VP to Aqueduct with each Governor play (and more in games with 3+ players).  If you time it right (e.g. after your opponent used one or two Governors for Golds on their turn), you can get a nice VP payout of 10 or 12 VP by playing several Governors for Golds and then buying or remodeling a treasure into a green card to take the Aqueduct points.  Your Governors don't mind the extra Golds so much, and the early VP swing will make it harder for your mirroring opponent to catch up.  This synergy is improved even more when there are desirable Action-Victory cards available such as Mill or Nobles. 

Jacob marley

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: August 29, 2017, 06:12:06 pm »
+1

Well, if spending 6 to play a Ruined Library first every turn is worth it...

This is not really accurate.  Rather the statement should be "if it is worth 6 to play a non-terminal ruined library that increases your handsize is worth it..."

Or, to put it another way, Hireling is like a Lab that you are allowed to put in your hand at the beginning of your turn every turn.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2017, 06:13:46 pm by Jacob marley »

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: August 29, 2017, 06:14:32 pm »
+4

This is not really accurate.

It's just as accurate as saying that Princing a Pearl Diver is the same as playing a Pearl Diver every turn.

Jacob marley

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: August 30, 2017, 12:18:33 pm »

It's just as accurate as saying that Princing a Pearl Diver is the same as playing a Pearl Diver every turn.

But princing a pearl diver is not the same as playing a pearl diver evey turn, since you get an 2 actions after the princed pearl diver plays each turn, where as you don't if you just have a pearl diver in your hand.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: August 30, 2017, 12:56:41 pm »
+1

But princing a pearl diver is not the same as playing a pearl diver evey turn, since you get an 2 actions after the princed pearl diver plays each turn, where as you don't if you just have a pearl diver in your hand.

That's exactly the point I've been making this whole time.

Cave-o-sapien

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: August 30, 2017, 01:15:59 pm »
+5

That's exactly the point I've been making this whole time.

Sometimes I feel like internet discussion forums are the worst form of discourse ever developed.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: August 30, 2017, 02:01:47 pm »

Sometimes I feel like internet discussion forums are the worst form of discourse ever developed.

No, they're the best because you can skip over posts you don't feel like reading, people can't interrupt you and you don't have to worry about interrupting others.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: August 30, 2017, 05:50:24 pm »
+1

You-Know-Who

Fucking Estate, man.  I hate when my opponent loads up on those.

E.Honda

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: E.Honda
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: August 30, 2017, 08:24:04 pm »
+4

Possession + Groundskeeper

Groundskeepers are nice to have in a deck that plays against possession, since the cardtext says "when you gain a card", but if you are possessed by your opponent and they buy a victory card on your turn, they gain it and thus get no vp from the groundskeepers in play. Buying groundskeepers also lets you prolong your own greening, enabling you to play your own possessions more often.
I encountered that interaction in a game with apothecary, groundskeeper, possession and not much else to do on that board so it turned out nicely since i also was lucky enough to get my possession up faster and was therefore in no hurry to end the game since my opponent didn't have theirs yet. That gave me some free time to buy all the groundskeepers and use them later.

sorawotobu

• Navigator
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: September 03, 2017, 10:45:00 am »
+1

Peddler + Seaway + Training

Game-ID 6534660

Got 9 Grand Markets in relatively few turns.

rubikbeggar

• Ambassador
    • View Profile
« Reply #225 on: September 03, 2017, 12:44:27 pm »

Ok I just understood, I thought you did all this just to buy 9 Grandmarkets, but you build them from Peddlers. Nice idea, maybe not worth the trouble.

LaLight

• Minion
  • Because I'm a potato
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: September 05, 2017, 05:31:46 am »
+3

Rats + IGG + Tomb

Game Number: 6588875. I don't know if it was the best strategy with that kingdom, but I always gained copper with IGG so my Rats would have some food and in the end my deck looked like 7 Coppers, a Silver, a Duchy, a Shanty Town, 8 Ill Gotten Gains and 17 Rats. 3-pile on IGG, Curses and Rats. Was nice!

Chris is me

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: September 05, 2017, 06:38:58 am »
+1

Ok I just understood, I thought you did all this just to buy 9 Grandmarkets, but you build them from Peddlers. Nice idea, maybe not worth the trouble.

I don't see why it wouldn't be worth the trouble. It's not that hard - Seaway doesn't cost you any time, and Training is essentially 1 buy to double the number of Peddlers in your deck. Totally worth it on a lot of boards.

bug me on discord

they/them

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: September 05, 2017, 09:42:13 am »
+3

Prince+Bridge is a pretty neat interaction. First, you can Prince a Bridge. Once you have done that, you can Prince another Bridge. Then you can Prince a third Bridge. Then a fourth Bridge. Then you can Prince a cantrip or a fifth Bridge, which allows you to play six Bridges in a single turn without any other splitters or draw being available.

Commodore Chuckles

• Bishop
  • Shuffle iT Username: Commodore Chuckles
  • Respect: +221
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: September 05, 2017, 11:05:14 pm »
+4

Procession+Farmers' Market.

Playing Farmers' Market twice gives you more control over the VP pile, and you'll be trashing it anyway.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Prepare to be boarded!
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: September 12, 2017, 07:14:22 am »
+1

Fortune Teller / Jester - Guarantee that Jester hands out a Curse.  Provided the other player has any Victory or Curse cards left.

Jfrisch

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: September 12, 2017, 07:21:42 am »
+1

Kings Court/Governor/Donate/Banquet.

I won the game in 6 turns (technically on my opponents 7th). Fastest game I've ever played.

aku_chi

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: September 13, 2017, 12:32:48 am »
+1

I recently played a game with Ill-gotten Gains + Tomb, with Bonfire as the only trashing.  After the IGG rush was over, the best play on a lot of turns was to play 2 IGGs, gain and play the Coppers, and then buy Bonfire to trash the Coppers.  Weak in the grand scheme of things, but it was often the best thing to do on the board.  The takeaway is: keep your eye on Tomb.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 12:35:38 am by aku_chi »

LuciferousPeridot

• Bishop
  • Respect: +166
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: September 13, 2017, 02:33:36 am »
+2

Catapult + IGG. Two curses and a discard attack for a few turns.

Chappy7

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chappy7
  • Respect: +174
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: September 13, 2017, 10:34:30 am »
+1

I lost in the game due to some other poor choices from me, but procession with Transmogrify>distant lands>grand market on the board was pretty cool. 
I got to play my transmogrifies and distant lands with procession and not trash them, and get grand markets before I would have been able to normally.

KingPeter

• Coppersmith
  • Shuffle iT Username: KingPeter
  • When in doubt, engine
  • Respect: +92
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: September 13, 2017, 07:59:39 pm »
+4

Ambassador / Quest

Open double Ambassador, and if they collide, play one of them and buy Quest to gain a Gold.

Cave-o-sapien

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: September 14, 2017, 01:51:25 am »
+1

Archive + Windfall

Normally to achieve Windfall, you're doing some combination of trashing + engine building so your entire deck is in play or in hand. A few stacked Archives gets you Windfall eligible pretty quickly.

Chris is me

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: September 14, 2017, 08:40:44 am »
+2

Forum / Settlers &a Bustling Village is cool.

You just discard Copper and Setters, then instantly get them back. Handsize increase!

bug me on discord

they/them

Chris is me

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: September 14, 2017, 08:33:35 pm »

Lurker + Treasure Map + Gardens

You can constantly regain and play Treasure Map in an engine with Lurker as long as you leave a Smithy or something to pick up that Gold. Couple it with +Buy and lots of draw, and you can build up Gold for a few turns, then grab the Gardens pile and slog out the rest of the game really fast.

bug me on discord

they/them

Omastar68

• Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: September 17, 2017, 10:18:59 pm »

Knights+Tomb+Treasure Trove

Had a game w/ these, I clearly was losing the knights split so I figured I could get Treasure Trove, and the golds would get trashed while giving me vp, and I only really needed the Copper to buy more Treasure Troves.

Castles+Salt the Earth

Didn't end up mattering, but it could've. If you don't want or can't afford a castle(s)-likely kings-then you can Salt it so the other person(presumably) can't get it.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • The Border Village
« Reply #240 on: September 19, 2017, 12:44:08 am »

Fountain and Banquet: I played a game of chicken with Amoffett where the play was to build up to double/triple Province turns using Worker's Village and Margrave, and no thinning. Problem was, by the time we got there, piles were getting low. It became a game of chicken where it was not worth it to buy any points because it could clog your deck and would not cover the 15 points Fountain would give you from piling out expensive cards for dirt cheap with Banquet. It was an interesting mind game.

faust

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: September 19, 2017, 10:36:21 am »
+1

Inheritance/Grand Gastle is quite fun.

Chris is me

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: September 19, 2017, 11:49:49 am »

Fountain and Banquet: I played a game of chicken with Amoffett where the play was to build up to double/triple Province turns using Worker's Village and Margrave, and no thinning. Problem was, by the time we got there, piles were getting low. It became a game of chicken where it was not worth it to buy any points because it could clog your deck and would not cover the 15 points Fountain would give you from piling out expensive cards for dirt cheap with Banquet. It was an interesting mind game.

Fun fact: You can Banquet to gain Copper to get 15 points with a single $3 buy! You probably never need to do that on your particular board, but it's nice to keep in mind.

Fountain games without thinning or Buys are some of the most interesting there is.

bug me on discord

they/them

Felix

• Pawn
  • Shuffle iT Username: Felix
  • Respect: +3
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: September 19, 2017, 09:45:31 pm »
+3

Scheme + Training

Makes your Schemes into Treasuries, except you don't have to discard them after buying a victory card, and you still have the flexibility to i.e. topdeck Swamp Hag at the cost of discarding a Scheme.

chipperMDW

• Golem
  • Respect: +368
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: September 19, 2017, 11:07:37 pm »
+7

Minion + Courtier

When Minion is in your hand, you like your other actions to be non-terminal coins and non-terminal buys. Courtier will happily be either of those things as long as Minion is in your hand.

sorawotobu

• Navigator
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: September 20, 2017, 03:49:12 am »
+1

Raid + Triumph

game# 7030910

Put some Silvers into play --> gain the Silver pile via Raid --> buy Triumphs for many points.

Commodore Chuckles

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: September 20, 2017, 10:09:36 am »
+4

Minion + Courtier

When Minion is in your hand, you like your other actions to be non-terminal coins and non-terminal buys. Courtier will happily be either of those things as long as Minion is in your hand.

In a similar vein:

Tactician + Courtier

Tactician is a dual-type. Use Tactician to draw and Courtier for $.

Chris is me

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: September 20, 2017, 12:41:11 pm »
+1

Minion + Courtier

In a similar vein:

Tactician + Courtier

I swear I posted this before, but Courtier is by far the best single card double tac enabler / payload in the game. Very easy to get $12+ and 3+ buys with it.

bug me on discord

they/them

Commodore Chuckles

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: September 20, 2017, 06:39:33 pm »

Minion + Courtier

In a similar vein:

Tactician + Courtier

I swear I posted this before, but Courtier is by far the best single card double tac enabler / payload in the game. Very easy to get $12+ and 3+ buys with it.

It's great with Scrying Pool as well; another dual-type that draws all your Courtiers.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: September 20, 2017, 06:43:07 pm »

Better than Black Market?

Omastar68

• Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: September 22, 2017, 04:28:09 pm »
+1

Villa + Pathfinding(or Training. Probably not Seaway or Lost Arts tho)

Buy a Villa, then play it and get a card. Often you can buy many Villas in a turn, and that card helps you do something w/ them if u already have enough actions. Plus if Villa is drawing it will never slow you down, Training helps but then it's just a Festival and those can slow you down sometimes.

weesh

• Coppersmith
  • MOAR MAGPIES
  • Respect: +82
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: September 22, 2017, 06:41:50 pm »
+1

Villa + Pathfinding

Isn't almost every village that naturally has +1 card going to be crazier with +2 cards than villa will have with +1 card?

My favorite pathfinding target is magpie, because it helps you get more magpies, spikes you up to 8 without needing to fill your deck with early treasure, and helps your engine become more resilient in the face of the treasure you do have. 
« Last Edit: September 22, 2017, 06:44:43 pm by weesh »

Gazbag

• Spy
  • Respect: +135
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: September 22, 2017, 07:06:59 pm »
+3

Miser + Fountain

Miser lets you "Trash" coppers with them still counting towards fountain.

gloures

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: September 23, 2017, 01:22:07 am »
+3

Villa + Pathfinding

Isn't almost every village that naturally has +1 card going to be crazier with +2 cards than villa will have with +1 card?

My favorite pathfinding target is magpie, because it helps you get more magpies, spikes you up to 8 without needing to fill your deck with early treasure, and helps your engine become more resilient in the face of the treasure you do have.

While you're generally right, I'd say Villa is a really good Pathfinding target, because in most Villa games you end up overbuying Villas to allow all the crazy magic it does, and after they're gone the fact that they don't draw hurts your deck a lot...

ackmondual

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: September 24, 2017, 11:35:15 pm »
+4

Ritual + Rats
Rats trims your deck.  Buy Ritual on a Rats to get rid of it for VP (nice thing being Rats can't trash itself).  Use existing Rats to Trash the Curses you're getting from Ritual.

KingPeter

• Coppersmith
  • Shuffle iT Username: KingPeter
  • When in doubt, engine
  • Respect: +92
    • View Profile
« Reply #255 on: September 25, 2017, 10:14:54 pm »
+6

My opponent is currently making use of Stonemason / Grand Market.  Have $8 on the table, buy Stonemason, and pick of two GMs, bypassing the Copper restriction.

sorawotobu

• Navigator
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: September 26, 2017, 07:13:14 am »
+2

Ritual + Rats
Rats trims your deck.

No it doesn't.

gloures

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: September 27, 2017, 02:10:03 am »
+1

Ritual + Rats
Rats trims your deck.

No it doesn't.

It does after you get all 20 of them...  :P

In a more useful note I think  Ritual + Rats can work, but it would need support, probably another trasher that can trash excess rats
« Last Edit: September 27, 2017, 02:12:47 am by gloures »

aku_chi

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: September 28, 2017, 08:49:52 am »
+11

Secret Passage + Loan

In a game with no way to trash Estates and limited draw, Secret Passage and Loan were a big synergy.  I used the Secret Passages to make sure Loan hit a Copper and skipped over a bunch of green.  After a few turns, Loan was able to skip over all my green.  And once I ran out of Copper, I could bottom-deck all my green and skip past it when I played Loan.

Cave-o-sapien

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: September 28, 2017, 12:18:16 pm »
+1

Secret Passage + Loan

In a game with no way to trash Estates and limited draw, Secret Passage and Loan were a big synergy.  I used the Secret Passages to make sure Loan hit a Copper and skipped over a bunch of green.  After a few turns, Loan was able to skip over all my green.  And once I ran out of Copper, I could bottom-deck all my green and skip past it when I played Loan.

Oooh, I really like this. I mean, setting up Loan to hit Copper is obvious, but setting it up to also skip green is expanding brain stuff. It would make a great addition to the "Value of Loan" article.

crj

• Duke
  • Respect: +504
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: September 28, 2017, 02:36:48 pm »
+3

Ritual + Rats
Rats trims your deck.  Buy Ritual on a Rats to get rid of it for VP (nice thing being Rats can't trash itself).  Use existing Rats to Trash the Curses you're getting from Ritual.
It strikes me the tricky part of that is affording the $4 to buy a Ritual when your deck is full of Rats?

Deadlock39

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1722
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: September 28, 2017, 02:48:06 pm »

Secret Passage + Loan

See also Farming Village instead of Loan for the green skipping feature.

aku_chi

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: September 28, 2017, 04:36:09 pm »
+3

Alms + Workshop/Ironworks/Armory/Duplicate + Silk Road/Gardens

Alms can speed up any rush featuring a gainer and source of VP that cost <= $4.  With Alms and the gainer, you never play treasures and gain 2 cards per turn (potentially more with Ironworks).  Open with two copies of the gainer, and then hope to gain 2 cards each turn for the rest of the game.  Assuming you miss no more than twice (a reasonable assumption if you grab the gainers first), it only takes 15 turns to empty the gainer, VP, and Estate piles.  Silk Road is faster/stronger, because they will be worth 4 VP before the end, totaling 43 VP.  Gardens will only be worth 3 VP if you rush the piles as quickly as possible (totaling 35 VP), but you can reach 4 VP Gardens by turn 17 if you delay piling out.  If Battlefield or Labyrinth are in the kingdom, lesser VP piles like Tunnel or Island could be competitive.

I recently played a game with Alms + Workshop + Silk Road.  I didn't recognize the speed of this interaction and would have lost if my opponent had focused on getting more gainers earlier and hadn't been distracted by other kingdom cards.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2017, 04:39:07 pm by aku_chi »

ackmondual

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: September 29, 2017, 11:29:17 pm »

Secret Passage + Loan

Navigator + Loan
Back when Seaside was the latest and greatest, an opponent used the former to set up all victory cards to be closest to the top of the deck, while the copper would be on the behind them.

Commodore Chuckles

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: September 30, 2017, 10:20:07 am »

Secret Passage + Loan

Navigator + Loan
Back when Seaside was the latest and greatest, an opponent used the former to set up all victory cards to be closest to the top of the deck, while the copper would be on the behind them.
Wasn't Prosperity after Seaside? Maybe I misunderstood what you meant by "latest."

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: September 30, 2017, 11:55:32 am »
+1

Secret Passage + Loan

Navigator + Loan
Wasn't Prosperity after Seaside? Maybe I misunderstood what you meant by "latest."

Yes, but he never said the opponent played a Loan after setting up the top of the deck as described.

Commodore Chuckles

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: September 30, 2017, 06:29:11 pm »
+1

Forum + Defiled Shrine
You can use Forum's +buy thing as an opportunity to buy a Curse.  Forum then helps you sift through the Shrine Curses you bought.

chipperMDW

• Golem
  • Respect: +368
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: September 30, 2017, 07:00:40 pm »

Secret Passage + Loan

Navigator + Loan

Yes, but he never said the opponent played a Loan after setting up the top of the deck as described.

Maybe he was using Adventurer to skip to the Copper. And maybe one of the victory cards was Harem, so it wouldn't have been guaranteed to skip them all anyway.

Águia Branca

• Pearl Diver
  • Respect: +14
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: October 01, 2017, 10:10:11 am »
+3

Alms + Workshop/Ironworks/Armory/Duplicate + Silk Road/Gardens
A while ago I had Alms + Bridge + Silk Road. I opened double Bridge, then got Estate + Duchy on Bridge turns and otherwise Silk Road. I think my Silk Roads were worth 5 by the end of the game.

grrgrrgrr

• Swindler
  • Respect: +22
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: October 02, 2017, 09:20:22 am »
+1

Fool's Gold+Guide+Storyteller+(+buy)

Storyteller and Fool's gold are amazing together, as one Fool's gold provides a 4 card draw (if you have played one before, which isn't unlikely). Guide ensures you have a Storyteller in your starting hand, and +buy is important for getting lots of Fool's golds (I used a Villa for that in that game).

Sauna/Avanto+Pathfinding

I think this is the best target for your +Card token. I actually used it in a Teacher game. My deck was somewhat slow and cripled by curses. However, as soon as I got my +Card token in this pile, my deck just exploded like crazy.

Fortress+Transmogrify+amassable $5 card (+Gainer)

Fortress and Transmogrify are absolutely ridiculous together. Gain a bunch of Transmogrifies (did I use a gainer?). Then, when you draw a Fortress with a good amount of transmogrifies on the mat, use all of them to get lots of copies of your favorite $5 card in your hand. This should lead to an amazing turn, and a substantially improved deck afterwards. About amassable $5  card, I used the combo with Minion, but I think the best candidate is Groundskeeper.

infangthief

• Alchemist
  • Shuffle iT Username: infangthief
  • Respect: +102
    • View Profile
« Reply #270 on: October 02, 2017, 09:31:39 am »
+4

Secret Passage + Loan

Navigator + Loan

Maybe he was using Adventurer to skip to the Copper. And maybe one of the victory cards was Harem, so it wouldn't have been guaranteed to skip them all anyway.
Or maybe Prosperity was released mid-turn, the adjoining table started a new game with Loan, someone on the other table played Masquerade and everyone got a little confused who was part of which game, so the original player we were talking about (remember him?) discovered a Loan in his hand and played it.

infangthief

• Alchemist
  • Shuffle iT Username: infangthief
  • Respect: +102
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: October 03, 2017, 01:59:28 am »
+3

Secret Passage + Loan

Navigator + Loan

Or maybe Prosperity was released mid-turn, the adjoining table started a new game with Loan, someone on the other table played Masquerade and everyone got a little confused who was part of which game, so the original player we were talking about (remember him?) discovered a Loan in his hand and played it.
Apologies for a double-post, but I've been thinking on this and I reckon it can be done another way, without a Masquerading accident:
So this guy, he takes a long break in the middle of his turn, about 6 years, and when they resume their turn, it's late 2016 and it is noticed that the only cards remaining in the Black Market deck are obsolete first edition ones (and the owner of the game shredded them all as soon as they became obsolete; the BM deck is using blue-backed randomisers), so there's nothing for it but to generate a new Black Market deck, which happens to contain Young Witch, and Loan happens to be picked as the bane. So now this guy, they can Mine a Copper into a Loan and, well, play the Loan.
Anyway, this guy's opponents were all very patient during the game, but as they pack up they're thinking maybe they'd do better to find opponents on isotropic in future.

sorawotobu

• Navigator
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: October 03, 2017, 10:43:26 am »
+3

I'm glad to see this thread properly derailed.

People probably know about Upgrade + Ferry already, letting you Upgrade Estates into Upgrades, trash Coppers, and then possible move the Ferry to cash in unwanted Upgrades for Golds. I just had a game in which there was also Merchant, so even my Coppers (and one Curse) turned into sweet things.
game# 7413836