Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 6 [All]

Author Topic: Neat card interactions that were useful in the game you found them in.  (Read 8071 times)

Chris is me

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +2222
    • View Profile
+9

PPE: Interactions between landscapes and/or cards are also allowed

So uh, there's this other thread, right? Where people post when they find a card interaction that seems novel. 90% of the posts in that thread are people who wish to share what they found immediately after playing a game online. Tons of things in that thread are useful, but often they involve more than two cards, so we're subjected to completely endless and infuriating debate every single time someone wants to share a card interaction about whether or not it is "common enough" to be "potentially useful". It's funny, because that thread was made to avoid discussions about "combos" since that word itself has a loaded definition which was endlessly debated. But I digress.

So here is the criteria for posting in this thread:
1. Post interactions between multiple cards here which result in novel, interesting, and/or particularly effective synergy.
2. Post interactions between cards that you have observed, in an actual game of Dominion at least once. If it happened at least once, that's cool. If it's a purely theoretical 8 card combo, maybe not?

As long as those criteria are met, it can be posted. I mean really, I'm not going to breathe down anyone's neck rigorously checking this, but at some point in the future someone is going to cite this post as a reason something shouldn't get posted, so I'm going out of my way to be inclusive here.

Maybe, finally, with this almost identical thread with a very slightly different topic, we won't have pages and pages of people derailing with their tired arguments about how common or rare something is, as if we all always play full random games and as if we all only use that thread for practical advice and not just discussion. Or if you think this whole thing is silly and doesn't deserve a splinter topic, we can stop derailing the existing thread? You can't have it both ways. Either the content doesn't belong in the other thread, so we need a new one for that content; or it does belong in the other thread and we should stop tolerating constant derailment.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2017, 02:57:11 pm by Chris is me »
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

they/them

Deadlock39

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1587
    • View Profile
Re: Neat card interactions that were useful in the game you found them in.
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2017, 10:57:55 am »

I played a few games the other day with the selection set of Empires plus the new second edition cards. We got Charm, Royal Blacksmith, and City Quarter. It was Cwazy.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Prepare to be boarded!
  • Respect: +8338
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2017, 11:04:01 am »
+1

I played a few games the other day with the selection set of Empires plus the new second edition cards. We got Charm, Royal Blacksmith, and City Quarter. It was Cwazy.

I will often deliberately put those cards in a game together because I enjoy that interaction.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

UmbrageOfSnow

• Bishop
  • Shuffle iT Username: Umbrageofsnow
  • Respect: +265
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2017, 11:52:26 am »
+2

I will often deliberately put those cards in a game together because I enjoy that interaction.

I never play random games at home, we deliberately make kingdoms with interesting interactions in them and play those, usually three games in a row with the same kingdom.  That thread, and I guess this one, are a good source to mine for ideas.

Jack Rudd

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jack Rudd
  • Respect: +793
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2017, 12:59:55 pm »
+1

I once had a game on Isotropic with Governor, Black Market and Minion in it. That made for an amusing variant on the old Council Room - Militia decks we all know and love.
Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Seprix
  • Weed Whackers Will Return
  • Respect: +2587
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Blog
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2017, 01:02:20 pm »
+4

I had a donut with maple syrup and bacon as the topping while playing Dominion. Does that count?  ;)
Dominion Blog

Gone for a time. Will return.

Jacob marley

• Thief
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jacob Marley
  • Respect: +78
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2017, 06:54:21 pm »
+4

I had a donut with maple syrup and bacon as the topping while playing Dominion. Does that count?  ;)

Only if you used the maple syrup to covertly stick cards to the palm of your hand to be slipped back into play at opportune moments...

Schneau

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Schneau
  • Respect: +1417
    • View Profile
    • Rainwave
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2017, 08:55:16 am »

In the very first game I played with Lurker, I got Apprentice out of the Black Market deck. This ended up being a cool combo, since I could trash my expensive actions for big card draw, and get them back later that turn. I had a few Artisans, which was great for a 6-card draw.

That game made me think that Lurker should probably be in the top 5 or 7 $2 cards.

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +760
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2017, 09:05:02 am »
+1

I had a game where I kept trashing that Castle that is an action card where if you trash it, you can a castle. (Not sure what the name is.)

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +8829
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2017, 09:16:17 am »

I had a game where I kept trashing that Castle that is an action card where if you trash it, you can a castle. (Not sure what the name is.)

How do you can a castle?

Aleimon Thimble

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Aleimon Thimble
  • Respect: +575
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2017, 09:28:10 am »

How do you can a castle?

You accidentally.

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2017, 10:23:32 am »

How do you can a castle?

n00b

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2678
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2017, 10:25:30 am »
+8

You just need a big enough can or a really Small Castle.

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2017, 10:27:12 am »

Are you a Castlecan or a castlecannot?

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
  • Respect: +3546
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2017, 10:28:35 am »
+11

How do you can a castle?

Chris is me

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2017, 01:48:46 pm »
+1

In the very first game I played with Lurker, I got Apprentice out of the Black Market deck. This ended up being a cool combo, since I could trash my expensive actions for big card draw, and get them back later that turn. I had a few Artisans, which was great for a 6-card draw.

That game made me think that Lurker should probably be in the top 5 or 7 $2 cards.

Apprentice / Lurker may be a legitimate combo, even more so than most trash-for-benefit + Lurker combos. That just seems super powerful, and completely nonterminal at that.

bug me on discord

they/them

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Prepare to be boarded!
  • Respect: +8338
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2017, 02:13:49 pm »

Apprentice / Lurker may be a legitimate combo, even more so than most trash-for-benefit + Lurker combos. That just seems super powerful, and completely nonterminal at that.

Lurker works great with any tfb card.  "I could trash my Market and draw 5 cards, but then I won't have my Market anymore... oh, wait, I can Lurker it back!"  :D
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

4est

• Baron
  • Shuffle iT Username: 4est
  • Respect: +120
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2017, 02:26:49 pm »
+3

Even without the trash-for-benefit synergies like Apprentice and fun on-trash tricks (e.g. Fortress, Cultist), I think Lurker might be the strongest $2-cost engine enabler aside from Chapel and the Travellers (Yes, I think it's better than Stonemason).  While it's of course weak when played by itself, in pairs and multiples, Lurker becomes a powerhouse gainer, like an Ironworks that can gain anything.  Unlike Stonemason, Lurker can eliminate the need for Treasures or Buys altogether when engine building--you just need enough trashing or sifting to connect your Lurker pairs, and you can gain all your engine components without ever needing coin. 

Later in the game, Lurker changes function from a gainer to a drainer.  Especially for deck-drawing engines, winning the Lurker split can give you a tremendous amount of pile control over your opponent--the ability to instantly empty a Supply pile of six or seven cards while saving your Buys for Victory cards can give you powerful authority to determine exactly when the game ends.

Chris is me

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2017, 02:43:37 pm »

Lurker works great with any tfb card.  "I could trash my Market and draw 5 cards, but then I won't have my Market anymore... oh, wait, I can Lurker it back!"  :D

The particular strength of the synergy with Apprentice is that both cards are nonterminal, so you don't need any external support to make them work. As opposed to Salvager, Butcher, Graverobber, etc.

Plus nonterminal draw is just so great and you don't even need to line the cards up.

bug me on discord

they/them

allanfieldhouse

• Bishop
  • Respect: +132
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2017, 11:44:04 am »

So yeah, Lurker goes well with any TfB card, but I agree that Apprentice might be a special case. When you're "allowed" to trash any valuable action (including other Apprentices), you can instantly draw your whole deck every turn non-terminally. That's amazing. A couple Apprentices plus some fodder is like having the whole pile of Labs (minus the reliability).

I've been really underwhelmed with Lurker in general when it takes 2 plays to gain a card. Any time it can gain a card every single play, it's amazing (hence the general synergy with all TfB cards).

humcalc216

• Pawn
  • Respect: +6
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2017, 01:35:34 pm »
+3

Other interesting Lurker interactions I've experienced:

Lurker/Border Village/TfB (in this case, Replace).  Gaining Border Villages out of the trash triggers their when-gain ability.

Lurker/Knights.  In an engine mirror playing these cards, it turns into a lengthy contest for who can end up with all of the Knights.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2017, 07:29:20 pm »
+1

Storyteller/Raid/Conquest was pretty neat.

luser

• Duke
  • Respect: +269
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2017, 02:43:37 pm »
+2

Just found that quest with some buy completely counters haunted woods. Sometimes you even get gold.

allanfieldhouse

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2017, 09:13:38 pm »
+4

Tactician + Baths. You weren't going to do anything on the turn you played Tac anyway, so here's 2 free points!

terminalCopper

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +497
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2017, 05:05:02 pm »
+22

Pirate Ship + Lurker + bad opponent

Lurk a pirate ship, your opp. will likely "steal" it, and trash your coppers.

schadd

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: schadd
  • lockjaw
  • Respect: +1030
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2017, 05:45:30 pm »
+2

ditto thie- oh
I thought you thought it was a slip because I said 'Jake's partners' instead of 'Roadrunner7671.'
4-4

luser

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2017, 11:20:48 am »
+8

When I read about lurker I got idea about lurker-hunting grounds. After few bot games I found out that it is rebuild on steroids.

You need to buy/gain lurkers until they are out. If mirrored trash hgrounds if you couldn't gain lurker back on same turn. After that buy estates and just trash all hunting grounds to pile out on hgrounds/lurker/duchies/estates.

Unassisted this usually ends game in 11 turns with 30 points from 8 duchies and 6 estates.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2017, 11:23:28 am by luser »

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2017, 11:39:34 am »
+1

When I read about lurker I got idea about lurker-hunting grounds. After few bot games I found out that it is rebuild on steroids.

You need to buy/gain lurkers until they are out. If mirrored trash hgrounds if you couldn't gain lurker back on same turn. After that buy estates and just trash all hunting grounds to pile out on hgrounds/lurker/duchies/estates.

Unassisted this usually ends game in 11 turns with 30 points from 8 duchies and 6 estates.

Well, this is something you could actually post in the other thread. I tried it too and it's incredible.

humcalc216

• Pawn
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2017, 12:29:32 pm »
+2

Apprentice/Rocks.  It gives your Apprentices 3 things to trash.

Eran of Arcadia

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +262
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2017, 10:10:02 am »
+1

I had a game last night where on, I think, 2 turns, I: had a Raze trash itself or an estate, drawing and discarding an action card in the process; played Harbinger to put the discarded action card back on top of my deck; played Vassal to play the action card; used Lurker to get the Raze back.

Not powerful, maybe, but kind of fun to keep moving a card around like that.

Haddock

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Haddock
  • Not Doc Cod
  • Respect: +512
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2017, 12:33:57 pm »
+2

Well, this is something you could actually post in the other thread. I tried it too and it's incredible.
Since this thread is strictly better than the other thread, why would anyone post anything in the other thread?
The best reason to lynch Haddock is the meltdown we get to witness on the wagon runup. I mean, we should totally wagon him every day just for the lulz.

M Town Wins-Losses (6-2, 75%): 71, 72, 76, 81, 83, 87 - 79, 82.  M Scum Wins-Losses (1-1, 50%): 80 - 70.
RMM Town Wins-Losses (0-1, 0%): x - 31.  RMM Scum Wins-Losses (2-3, 40%): 33, 37 - 29, 32, 35.
Modded: M75, M84, RMM38.     Mislynched (M-RMM): None - None.     Correctly lynched (M-RMM): None - 33, 33, 35.       MVPs: RMM37, M87

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2017, 01:18:24 pm »

Since this thread is strictly better than the other thread, why would anyone post anything in the other thread?

The other thread is better if you want to post something that people should care about.

Cave-o-sapien

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +276
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2017, 04:22:27 pm »
+10

Lurker/Knights.  In an engine mirror playing these cards, it turns into a lengthy contest for who can end up with all of the Knights.

My first Lurker/Knight game made me feel a little sorry for the poor knights: I realized we were repeatedly resurrecting them and sending them to die in combat again and again and again.

Petrovic

• Alchemist
  • Respect: +26
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2017, 12:47:43 am »
+7

The other thread is better if you want to post something that people should care about.

This thread was strictly better until Awaclus decided he needed to use it to give people permission to post to the other thread

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2017, 01:07:03 am »

I guess the logic according to which this is a strictly better thread than the other thread also makes Random Stuff III a strictly better thread than this.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Blog
« Reply #35 on: February 14, 2017, 05:01:56 pm »

I guess the logic according to which this is a strictly better thread than the other thread also makes Random Stuff III a strictly better thread than this.

Whenever I read Awaclus, the voice in my head is Data from Star Strek TNG.
Dominion Blog

UmbrageOfSnow

• Bishop
  • Shuffle iT Username: Umbrageofsnow
  • Respect: +265
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 14, 2017, 05:05:12 pm »
+2

Not Lore?

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Blog
« Reply #37 on: February 14, 2017, 05:18:31 pm »

Not Lore?

Lore has that "villain" voice, and that doesn't have the timbre I think of. Lore is more expressive. Data has that simple logical sound.
Dominion Blog

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 15, 2017, 04:46:48 am »

Not Lore?

Lore has that "villain" voice, and that doesn't have the timbre I think of. Lore is more expressive. Data has that simple logical sound.

Yeah, I can't have a "villain" voice. I don't even sound like the serial killer!

ThetaSigma12

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +825
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 15, 2017, 08:04:17 am »
+4

Not Lore?

Yeah, I can't have a "villain" voice. I don't even sound like the serial killer!
You know he's a killer...

...But did you know he's a Cereal killer?
If you have a fan card you want to be created, just post about it here! I'd love to take a look at it.

Chris is me

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 15, 2017, 10:52:09 am »

Procession + Ironmonger + Page line was cool in a game I played. IronMONGER helps you cycle faster to upgrade your Pages, and once you reach Champion, IronMONGER isn't as useful anymore since you don't need the action, so you can Procession it into that $5 terminal draw you're eyeing.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2017, 12:22:12 pm by Chris is me »

bug me on discord

they/them

AJD

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +2923
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 15, 2017, 10:59:57 am »

Procession + Ironworks + Page line was cool in a game I played. Ironworks helps you cycle faster to upgrade your Pages, and once you reach Champion, Ironworks isn't as useful anymore since you don't need the action, so you can Procession it into that $5 terminal draw you're eyeing.

Ironmonger?

Chris is me

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 15, 2017, 11:23:42 am »
+1

I dunno what you're talking about it totally says ironmonnger up there it always has I swear :P

bug me on discord

they/them

allanfieldhouse

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 15, 2017, 11:36:46 am »
+3

I dunno what you're talking about it totally says ironmonnger up there it always has I swear :P

lol...even after editing, it still says Ironworks twice.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 15, 2017, 12:12:59 pm »
+2

Ironworks, editing doesn't.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Blog
« Reply #45 on: February 15, 2017, 12:56:26 pm »

Not Lore?

That was the best episode of that season, which was still not a very good episode.
Dominion Blog

ThetaSigma12

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +825
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 15, 2017, 02:31:07 pm »

Not Lore?

That was the best episode of that season, which was still not a very good episode.
I'm torn between giving you a +1 for watching Sherlock and not giving a +1 for hating one of my favorite episodes.
If you have a fan card you want to be created, just post about it here! I'd love to take a look at it.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Blog
« Reply #47 on: February 15, 2017, 04:52:07 pm »

I'm torn between giving you a +1 for watching Sherlock and not giving a +1 for hating one of my favorite episodes.

It wasn't much of a mystery. It was an interesting character study, but the fun in Sherlock is the mystery.

In fact, Season 4 was so bad that I am not looking forward to Season 5 (assuming it even comes to existence). I have a full review written for it too, just waiting for me to not be lazy to go and record it.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2017, 04:53:09 pm by Seprix »
Dominion Blog

tailred

• Golem
  • Shuffle iT Username: ceviri
  • Respect: +259
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 16, 2017, 11:37:07 pm »
+6

Legionary, Fortune Teller
cute.

Crown, Bank
Power up banks without needing to spam actual yellows.

Aleimon Thimble

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Aleimon Thimble
  • Respect: +575
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 17, 2017, 07:56:57 am »

Legionary, Fortune Teller
cute.

I wouldn't call it cute. It's actually pretty evil; your opponent pretty much starts with a two-card hand every turn.

tim17

• Salvager
  • Respect: +98
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 18, 2017, 05:35:05 am »
+6

Transmogrify + Catapult/Rocks

Transmogrify helps turn estates into catapults to help get to the rocks.  Once rocks are uncovered, you probably have mostly coppers and a bunch of catapults, which ends up working out quite well.  Say for example you have a transmogrify on your tavern mat and a hand of 2x catapult, 3x copper.  Call tmog to turn a catapult into a rocks, gaining a silver to hand.  Play the other catapult to trash the rocks, gaining a silver to hand.  Now you have 8 for a province, and you curse+discard attacked your opponent.

I saw this in a game a couple days ago, where it won handily.  Squire helped somewhat, but it was clear that this was the main interaction.

Willvon

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +91
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 20, 2017, 04:31:21 pm »

My wife and I had an IRL game with Apprentice and Lurker in it.  We also had Explorer in the game, which is a card I rarely buy.  In addition, we had Obelisk.  We chose randomly from the randomizer cards and chose Explorer as the Obelisk card.  Explorers worked great as food for Apprentice and Lurker put it right back in our hands.  We had Villa in the layout also and a lot of cantrips.  So it never gummed up our decks and even gave us points at the end of the game.  The silvers and golds generated by Explorer were also available to sacrifice to Apprentice.  That was my first game with Lurker.  It is an excellent addition to the Base game, and it certainly feels like a top 5 $2 card.

4est

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 21, 2017, 10:15:33 am »
+17

Royal Blacksmith + Poor House: I just played a game with these two on a board with lots of potential for a strong engine; plenty of +Actions, huge draw from Royal Blacksmith, and +Buy...but no trashing.  Poor House is usually awful if you can't trash your Coppers, and Royal Blacksmith similarly prefers some trimming.  But together, with some village support, each Royal Blacksmith draws a bunch of cards and handily purges your hand of Coppers so you can then maximize your Poor Houses for +$4 each!

tailred

• Golem
  • Shuffle iT Username: ceviri
  • Respect: +259
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 21, 2017, 08:57:51 pm »
+7

Wishing Weel, Vassal
I just played a game where Vassal was the main payload but was pretty risky (no villages whatsoever, nor the typical topdeck-set-uppers.) Turns out Well is a pretty good topdeck-set-upper, as long as you have quite a few wells per vassal. Just wish away stop cards and once a well (or some other nonterminal that's okay to play) is revealed, play it with vassal.

schoeggu

• Swindler
  • Respect: +36
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 22, 2017, 05:19:42 am »
+9

Hunting Grounds and Donate (and a +buy source otherwise it's difficult)
When trashed Hunting Grounds gives you either a Duchy or three Estates.
The trick is to have two piles empty and then buy Donate to trash all your Hunting Grounds and using the gains to either empty the Estate or Duchy pile. You will get 3VP per Hunting Grounds (unless you need to gain 1 or 2 Estates to empty the pile), plus all the VP gained during your turn (where you can still use your Hunting Grounds).
Because the endgame state is checked after your turn but before you Donate your opponent gets a last turn. But they cannot use Donate to trash Hunting Grounds as the game will finish after their turn.

So in this game, I bought two Provinces and made sure two piles were empty. And with the last remaining buy I bought Donate.
With Donate I trashed my four Hunting Grounds, gaining a Duchy and 8 Estates. Thus so emptying the third pile. (23VP)
The opponent would have to been able to buy 4 Provinces (24VP) to get ahead of me which she wasn't ;)
« Last Edit: February 22, 2017, 05:25:34 am by schoeggu »

singletee

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: singletee
  • Gold, Silver, Copper, Let's Jam!
  • Respect: +1220
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 22, 2017, 05:37:09 pm »
+15

Tomb and Fool's Gold

Be careful taking the last Province for a narrow "win" - it may turn into a loss!

abura448

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +10
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 24, 2017, 03:29:57 pm »
+1

Just played a game with Sacrifice+Fortress+Tomb..... trash-tastic!

allanfieldhouse

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 24, 2017, 05:09:59 pm »
+3

Tomb and Fool's Gold

Be careful taking the last Province for a narrow "win" - it may turn into a loss!

Surprise! Keep was also in the game, and they lost 5 points for trashing the Fool's Gold.

Cuzz

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Cuzz
  • Respect: +434
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 24, 2017, 05:52:40 pm »
+1

Just had a board with NV, KC, bridge, and duplicate. Would you believe that those cards indeed interacted in a neat way?

Skumpy

• Ambassador
  • Shuffle iT Username: skumpy
  • Respect: +51
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 24, 2017, 08:46:55 pm »

Just had a board with NV, KC, bridge, and duplicate. Would you believe that those cards indeed interacted in a neat way?

Do you need the Duplicate? 2 King's Court's + 3 Bridges is game. And you can just King's Court-Native Village everything if needed until you pick up your whole hand one turn.

Also, it's probably just me, but typing out the whole card name feels so satisfying.

schoeggu

• Swindler
  • Respect: +36
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: February 28, 2017, 05:28:42 am »
+1

Just played a game with Sacrifice+Fortress+Tomb..... trash-tastic!

It's insane. Add a Scheme to your deck and you're guaranteed to always start with Fortress in hand.

terminalCopper

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +497
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 28, 2017, 04:09:04 pm »
+5

Legionary / Enchantress

The best defence against Legionsry is to keep two synergic cards like village/smithy. This is nerved the hard way if the village is a cantrip.

grrgrrgrr

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +9
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 03, 2017, 11:47:59 am »
+1

Lurker+Catacombs
A very neat combo, as it makes Lurker effectively a nonterminal workshop. If you play two Lurkers, you can gain yourself a Catacombs and a $4 card!
I played this combo together with Island. In one turn, the Lurker pile was empty, and the Island and Lurker piles only had three cards left. Guess what I did with my three lurkers.

Bonfire+Market Square
Very very very powerfull interaction; an incredibly easy way for gaining a shitload of Golds.

AJD

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 12, 2017, 01:18:22 am »
+1

Lost Arts plus Scheme is fun—a good way to never be stuck with a dead terminal action at the start of a turn.

(It was a Black Market game, so Lost Arts on the terminals themselves was not an option—I didn't have more than one of any key terminal.)

Chris is me

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 12, 2017, 10:15:04 am »
+1

Sacrifice + Squire

Draw your deck, Sacrifice a Squire, gain an attack, draw it, and have an extra Action to play it

bug me on discord

they/them

ackmondual

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +68
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 14, 2017, 04:07:34 am »

Treasure Trove + Palace + Fountain
Gold helps get more VP out of Palace, Copper helps get us to 15 VP, and Silver is often easy enough to buy.

Necropolis + Arena
2 VP before the first reshuffle!

Necropolis + Advance
0-cost 6-cost action card!

Delve + Tomb + Watchtower
With Watchtower in hand, as long as there are Coppers and/or Curses left, each Buy gets you 1 VP.
As long as you can spend $2, each of those will get you 1 VP as well!
Village, +2 Actions.  Village, +3 Actions.  Village, +4 Actions.  Village, +5 Actions.  Village, +6 Actions.  Village, +7 Actions.  Workers Village, +2 Buys, +8 Actions.  End Action Phase.  No Treasures to play.  No buy

Psyduck

• Bishop
  • Respect: +100
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 14, 2017, 04:39:10 am »
+1

Storyteller + Raid

Use the Storytellers and Silvers to draw a lot, then get many more Silvers. Works best with Copper/Estate trashing and +Buy.

LaLight

• Tactician
  • Shuffle iT Username: LaLight
  • Because I'm a potato
  • Respect: +424
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 14, 2017, 11:21:28 am »
+5

I just have made a beautiful combo:

Develop Peddler into Platinum/Expand, play Magpie, draw both and Expand the second Peddler into Colony. Felt so good.
Wow where is all this LaLight love coming from all of the sudden?

Wins: M87, M85, M92, M98, RMM37, RMM39, BM24, M86, M94, M95
Losses: M88, M90, RMM38, NM8, NM9, M97, ZM23, NM10
Draws: RMM40
Lynched: M95, NM10
MVPs: RMM39
Mod/Co-mod: RMM37, M89, M93, M91, M96, RMM41, M98

xyz123

• Bishop
  • Respect: +170
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 14, 2017, 12:47:39 pm »
+2

Crossroads + Bridge Troll + non-terminal draw (other terminal durations may apply).

Had a game with Crossroads, Bridge Troll, Laboratory and no other villages.

A single Crossroads can support up to 6 terminal durations. With non-terminal draw a single Crossroads can be all the village you would want.

ackmondual

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 14, 2017, 03:29:43 pm »
+3

Treasury + Dominate
Getting the latter gets you a whole bunch of points, but you still get to recycle your Treasuries.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2017, 01:01:39 am by ackmondual »
Village, +2 Actions.  Village, +3 Actions.  Village, +4 Actions.  Village, +5 Actions.  Village, +6 Actions.  Village, +7 Actions.  Workers Village, +2 Buys, +8 Actions.  End Action Phase.  No Treasures to play.  No buy

luser

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 14, 2017, 05:23:42 pm »

everybody knows kc-scheme. Pathfinding-scheme is similar. But in recent game I found city quarter-scheme which is similar of topdecking actions then drawing lot with city quarter. and easier to pull of as you don't need spike 7/8 thanks to debt.

ackmondual

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 14, 2017, 11:39:29 pm »

Navigator + Loan
Set up your deck so Victory cards get passed over, put good Treasure towards the end, and have the Copper come between the 2 groups.  If you're going to pass up a bunch of good stuff, then you'll know not to play the Loan

Royal Blacksmith + Poor House: I just played a game with these two on a board with lots of potential for a strong engine; plenty of +Actions, huge draw from Royal Blacksmith, and +Buy...but no trashing.  Poor House is usually awful if you can't trash your Coppers, and Royal Blacksmith similarly prefers some trimming.  But together, with some village support, each Royal Blacksmith draws a bunch of cards and handily purges your hand of Coppers so you can then maximize your Poor Houses for +$4 each!

Oh, Counting House + Royal Blacksmith
Here, you're also not afraid to discard your Coppers

humcalc216

• Pawn
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 15, 2017, 12:13:38 am »
+1

Counting House + Secret Passage

Get a bunch of Secret Passages and use them to put a Counting House 5th from the bottom.  Helps to have some source of nonterminal +buy (in this case, Market) to put next to the Counting House.

From the same game:

Cellar + Secret Passage

Putting a bunch of junk on the bottom of your deck with Secret Passage?  Put a Cellar down there too!
« Last Edit: March 15, 2017, 12:16:57 am by humcalc216 »

Chris is me

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 15, 2017, 10:19:13 am »
+2

Counting House + Secret Passage

Get a bunch of Secret Passages and use them to put a Counting House 5th from the bottom.  Helps to have some source of nonterminal +buy (in this case, Market) to put next to the Counting House.

From the same game:

Cellar + Secret Passage

Putting a bunch of junk on the bottom of your deck with Secret Passage?  Put a Cellar down there too!

With cellar you have to be careful - you're generally trying to make the junk miss the reshuffle by putting it on the bottom. Warehouse or Forum may be a better choice for this weird old trick, or maybe another Secret Passage!

bug me on discord

they/them

faust

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +1880
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 16, 2017, 12:34:58 pm »
+1

Peasant/City Quarter
Seriously, these two together are basically a complete, fully functioning engine.
Wins: M30, M36, M41, M53, M55, M63, M66, M71, M74, M75, M77, RMM11, RMM12, RMM14, RMM16, RMM18, RMM23, NMV, M31, M42, M56, M65, RMM20, RMM24, RMM28, M61, RMM22
Losses: NM4, M33, M35, M37, M38, M45, M46, M60, M68, M69, M82, RMM13, RMM21, RMM26, M43, M51, M58, M72, M83, RMM15, RMM33

MVPs: M41, M53, M63, M65, M66, RMM20, RMM24, RMM28
Win percentage: 56.3 (27/48)
Modded games: M40, M50, M59, M69, M79, RMM19, RMM25, RMM30

Most people are complete idiots.

Schneau

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Schneau
  • Respect: +1417
    • View Profile
    • Rainwave
« Reply #75 on: March 16, 2017, 11:35:38 pm »

Masterpiece + Triumph

Get a mega turn where you have a ton of money and 2 buys. Get tons of Silvers and 1VP for each one.

Cuzz

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Cuzz
  • Respect: +434
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 17, 2017, 07:42:41 pm »
+6

Messenger + Castles

If you're going for Castles, can gain the first couple for free w/Messenger without giving your opponent anything.

ackmondual

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 19, 2017, 04:57:20 am »

Embassy + Bandit Fort
Turn $5 into not 3pts for you (when Duchies are gone), but -2pts for everyone else.

Ambassador + Bandit Fort
4 to 6pt swing between you and each player.

AJD

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 19, 2017, 09:30:04 pm »

Dungeon is a good counter for Rabble.

Erick648

• Spy
  • Respect: +253
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 23, 2017, 09:53:37 pm »

Grand Market + Ferry + Band of Misfits

What should I use to buy my first couple Grand Markets? How about Grand Market!

This board also featured Beggar + Triumph, which, with the Grand Markets, led to a pretty juicy last turn.

Eran of Arcadia

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +262
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 27, 2017, 11:27:34 am »
+1

Replacing Estates with Mills is fun.

But revealing Diplomat when someone else played Replace actually saved a couple hands for me, regardless of what they Replaced.

aku_chi

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: aku chi
  • Respect: +556
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 28, 2017, 04:43:00 pm »
+11

Masquerade + Wolf Den

With Wolf Den, a single Masquerade play could net up to 15 VP!
  • Pass a singleton card (+3 VP)
  • Receive a duplicate card - which was singleton (+3 VP)
  • Trash a singleton card (+3 VP)
  • Opponent receives a singleton card (+3 VP)
  • Opponent passes a duplicate card - dropping them to singleton (+3 VP)
That particular scenario is unlikely to manifest, but you definitely need to be aware of big point swings when these two cards are in the kingdom.  I recently played a League match against tracer where Cultist was also present; Ruins definitely increased the likelihood of large VP swings from Masquerade plays.

ackmondual

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 28, 2017, 11:35:22 pm »
+14

Villa + Tactician
ACTION: Play as many cards as you can, leaving the Tactician in your hand
BUY: Play all Treasures.  Then buy a Villa

ACTION again: Play the Tactician.  If you have at least one other card in your hand you didn't/couldn't play (e.g. Victory card), you can play the Villa before the Tactician
BUY again: spend the rest of your coins

You got to play all of your actions cards and all of your Treasures, while getting +5 cards at the start of your next turn!
« Last Edit: March 28, 2017, 11:54:03 pm by ackmondual »

4est

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 30, 2017, 02:57:07 am »
+18

This isn't so much a neat interaction as it is a hilarious situation I'll probably never see again: Colony Dancing.

It was a Platinum/Colony board with Dominate; also Tomb, Sauna/Avanto, Crown, but without a readily usable source of + Buy (I think Spice Merchant and Ruins from Death Cart were the only possibilities?). 

We both went for Sauna/Avanto, mirroring almost identically, trashing down to overdrawing decks capable of hitting at least $14 every turn and then splitting the Dominates 3-3.  Then, with scores basically tied, we naturally followed the well-known Penultimate Dominate rule and started Colony Dancing.  We split the Colonies 3-3, and then started Duchy Dancing.  Both our decks started stalling out, with mine failing first, giving my opponent the victory, though it really could've gone either way.  Alas, I doubt I'll ever encounter such a bizarre, amusing mirror game. 

allanfieldhouse

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 30, 2017, 09:35:11 pm »
+4

Upgrade + Fortress + Donate.

Once you have two of those cards and one of the other (either way works, I think), you Donate. Next turn you can auto-pile the Upgrades.

Obviously this trick could technically work without Donate, but it's not really feasible to set it up early-game otherwise. In the game I saw this, there weren't really any other good 5's, so I put Seaway on Fortress and Upgraded all my Upgrades into Golds.

J Reggie

• Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: J Reggie
  • Respect: +708
    • View Profile
    • Jeff Rosenthal Music
« Reply #85 on: March 31, 2017, 12:59:28 am »
+5

Diplomat + Borrow

Make sure your first Diplomat is always a village, even without discard attacks!  It's usually better to buy Borrow even if you don't need the coin, as long as you have a reasonable chance of drawing a Diplomat.

Sharajat

• Pawn
  • Respect: +9
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 31, 2017, 11:40:10 am »
+5

Artificer+Highway

After five highways artificers are free.  That lets you play one to gain an artificer to the top of the deck.  Then you can just pile out the artificers, filling your deck with really good cantrips and potentially ending the game on the spot. 

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +8186
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 31, 2017, 11:49:06 am »
+4

Masquerade + Wolf Den

That particular scenario is unlikely to manifest, but you definitely need to be aware of big point swings when these two cards are in the kingdom.  I recently played a League match against tracer where Cultist was also present; Ruins definitely increased the likelihood of large VP swings from Masquerade plays.

I saw some big VP swings like this while playtesting Empires and Intrigue 2nd Edition. Swindler is another harsh card in Wolf Den games; its maximum VP swing is smaller, but I think its average VP swing is greater.

aku_chi

• Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 01, 2017, 10:00:09 am »

City Quarter + Storeroom

Storeroom can hunt for your City Quarters, actions to pair with your City Quarters (via discard for cards), and then take advantage of overdraw from later City Quarters (via discard for coin).  This works best if there's another village available.

Possession + Harbinger

Assuming this is one of those boards where you buy a Possession, build up to single Province, and then start greening: Harbinger is one of the best support cards for Possession.  Even in a large deck with poor cycling, Harbinger can help you play your single Possession almost every turn.  In the game I encountered this, there was also Alchemist, and I had no desire to get a second Possession, because the Harbingers were finding my single copy so consistently.  Scheme would also work, of course.

Avin

• Spy
  • Respect: +98
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 03, 2017, 02:01:28 pm »
+4

Peasant + Royal Carriage

Or more specifically, Disciple. You can Disciple a Royal Carriage, gaining you a Royal Carriage, and immediately repeat the Disciple with that Royal Carriage. If you are drawing your deck, then this cost you nothing, since your disciple still gets played on any other card you had wanted it on, and you get a new Royal Carriage that you can use to double something else as well.

But if you have the peasant line then you might also have a Teacher token on the Royal Carriage as well. So Discipling the RC not only gains you a new Royal Carriage, but also doubles the effect of whatever token is there.

I'm sure this was an intended combo since they both are from Adventures but I only just noticed it.

aku_chi

• Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: April 04, 2017, 04:38:39 pm »

Masquerade + Market Square + Villa + Save

These four cards featured in one of the fastest money games I've played (sans Donate): 5 Provinces in 11 turns.  The sixth and final Province on turn 13.  It's hard to say which of Market Square, Villa, or Save had the stronger synergy with Masquerade.  It turned out that I never needed to buy Silver and I only bought one Gold.  I ended up with three Masquerades, two Market Squares, and two Villas, ~5-6 Gold, and ~3-4 Copper.  I probably didn't play optimally.

If there's a moral to the story, it is this: Masquerade with support can lead to really fast money strategies.

McGarnacle

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: McGarnacle
  • So, ya like doughnuts, eh?
  • Respect: +409
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 05, 2017, 10:19:09 am »

Masquerade + Wolf Den

I believe this is in one of the recommended kingdoms.
This is exactly the kind of deep analysis I come to f.ds for. 

Forum Mafia Record
Town 1/2 50%
Scum 0/0 0%

McGarnacle

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: McGarnacle
  • So, ya like doughnuts, eh?
  • Respect: +409
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 05, 2017, 10:19:33 am »

Artificer+Highway

After five highways artificers are free.  That lets you play one to gain an artificer to the top of the deck.  Then you can just pile out the artificers, filling your deck with really good cantrips and potentially ending the game on the spot.

Yay Artificer!
This is exactly the kind of deep analysis I come to f.ds for. 

Forum Mafia Record
Town 1/2 50%
Scum 0/0 0%

Skumpy

• Ambassador
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 07, 2017, 03:48:21 am »

I kinda feel bad about posting a Donate combo, seeing as it combos with....well, everything. But so be it.

Donate + Poor House

On your first 3 turns, pick up 2 Poor Houses and a village, if possible.
Donate your starting deck on turn 4, and by turn 6 (at the latest), you'll have a debt-free 3-card deck producing $8. Groovy!

Chris is me

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 07, 2017, 08:33:24 am »
+2

This isn't like, great, but it was sort of novel. Someone playing me yesterday opened 5/2, buying Mandarin / Mandarin / Mandarin / City Quarter. Counting Necropolis, that made their deck full of economy and 1/3 Actions. Probably not the best move on 99% of boards.

bug me on discord

they/them

JThorne

• Golem
  • Respect: +361
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 07, 2017, 11:23:16 am »
+1

Donate + Poor House

Donate your starting deck on turn 4, and by turn 6 (at the latest), you'll have a debt-free 3-card deck producing $8. Groovy!

Well, at least until you buy your 4th Province, at which point it has a chance of stalling if you don't draw the village, and that chance goes up with each additional Province. Sure, it seems as though six or seven Provinces should win, but the deck is missing pile control. You can't end the game. With Donate on the board, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see that lose to an engine that could do something with Alt+VP and/or piles, or maybe even raw speed.

Poor House makes such fantastic engine economy with Donate and +Actions, what you should really be doing in a kingdom where they're present is figure out how MANY Provinces you want per turn, and that number is almost certain to be more than one. Assuming there's +buy. Which, if there is, almost guarantees some kind of Megaturn since the Poor Houses themselves are super-easy to pile with extra buys. Play what you're describing, and you're likely to see

Player 1: Province
Player 2: Stuff
Player 2: More stuff
Player 2: A lot more stuff
Player 2: The other four Provinces and a Duchy.

I gotta stop thinking about Donate. I'm drooling on my keyboard.

Chris is me

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 07, 2017, 11:56:16 am »

Honestly if you miss a Village or Poor House after Province 4, you can just buy another? It'll end the game soon enough to be viable a decent chunk of the time.

bug me on discord

they/them

Skumpy

• Ambassador
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 07, 2017, 12:02:48 pm »

Donate + Poor House

Well, at least until you buy your 4th Province, at which point it has a chance of stalling if you don't draw the village, and that chance goes up with each additional Province. Sure, it seems as though six or seven Provinces should win, but the deck is missing pile control. You can't end the game. With Donate on the board, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see that lose to an engine that could do something with Alt+VP and/or piles, or maybe even raw speed.

Poor House makes such fantastic engine economy with Donate and +Actions, what you should really be doing in a kingdom where they're present is figure out how MANY Provinces you want per turn, and that number is almost certain to be more than one. Assuming there's +buy. Which, if there is, almost guarantees some kind of Megaturn since the Poor Houses themselves are super-easy to pile with extra buys. Play what you're describing, and you're likely to see

Player 2: Stuff
Player 2: More stuff
Player 2: A lot more stuff
Player 2: The other four Provinces and a Duchy.

I gotta stop thinking about Donate. I'm drooling on my keyboard.

Well, I never said what to do once you got there, just that you have a very good consistent payload for at least a couple of turns and COULD pick up a few Provinces early on. Absolutely it's probably best to build for a little longer, especially if there's plus buy. Reading back, I can understand why you inferred it that way. My bad.

In the game I played where I found this, there weren't any +buys on the board. It went something like 4 Ports/2 Poor houses on my first 4 turns, Donate on turn 5, Diplomat (which I think was the only draw) turn 6, maybe a province or 2 next, then realized I should get a Butcher to speed up the Province pile. By turn 12, my opponent (who admittedly didn't play the board too great, as they went for Moneylender as the only trashing) had one province, while I emptied out the other 7, keeping 4. Again, it might have gone very different if there was +buy...but there wasn't.

dedicateddan

• Apprentice
  • Shuffle iT Username: dan brooks
  • Respect: +394
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 10, 2017, 01:18:56 pm »
+1

When you inherit Border Village, you can Border Village for Estate (Border Village)

The estate normally gains a 0-1 cost card. But if you reduce its cost to 0, you gain nothing

Beyond Awesome

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2067
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Awesome's Dominion Blog
« Reply #99 on: April 13, 2017, 06:02:06 am »
+3

Beggar + Steward + Triumph + Tomb

Beggar gots lot of Triumph points. Steward trashed the coppers for Tomb points. I lost this game though because I did not plan it out as well as I should have.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2017, 06:04:33 am by Beyond Awesome »
Visit my Dominion Blog http://beyondominion.blogspot.com

luser

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: April 13, 2017, 11:59:59 am »
+4

Finally managed to get working bureaucrat pin. It was game with forge, kc and storyteller. I could get 3 silvers each turn that turned into platinum with forge for storyteller draw.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +8714
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 13, 2017, 01:24:40 pm »
+2

IGG-Triumph

You want to gain those Coppers on your turn anyway.  Might as well take 4-5 points for 5 Debt!

Honorable mention: Masterpiece-Triumph.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

jamfamsam

• Minion
  • Respect: +1099
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 24, 2017, 07:51:08 pm »
+7

Alms-Villa

Don't put your treasures in play. Pick up a free Villa. Put your treasures in play and buy something else.
"There is no extra charge for awesomeness..."

AJD

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 24, 2017, 11:02:23 pm »

Alms-Villa

Don't put your treasures in play. Pick up a free Villa. Put your treasures in play and buy something else.

Better than Borrow!

gloures

• Bishop
  • Shuffle iT Username: gloures
  • Respect: +92
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 25, 2017, 12:13:46 am »
+2

Ill-Gotten Gains/Banquet

Coppers are actually quite decent already in your standard Ill-Gotten Gains/Duchy rush, and chances are you´ll be able to buy IGG in all your 10 starting turns, most engines would really struggle to get going under those conditions (specially if you are first player and give out two curses before the first shuffle)...

BBL

• Swindler
  • Respect: +21
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: April 25, 2017, 03:17:26 pm »

Mine & Royal Carriage on a Colony Board

Not sure, if I overrate colliding two 5s, but going from Silver to Platinum at Turn 6 still felt pretty nice, as well as turning all Coppers into Platinum over the course of the game.

Cave-o-sapien

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 28, 2017, 12:31:38 pm »
+1

Alms-Villa

I just recently had a game with Villa + Poor House that was a variation on this. Play all treasures, buy Villa, play Villa + Poor House.

Cave-o-sapien

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 28, 2017, 12:44:35 pm »
+9

Salvager+Alms+Bonfire

Salvage an Estate, play two coppers, buy Bonfire, trash the coppers, buy Alms and gain something useful.

It felt a little like I'd duct-taped together my own ersatz Chapel.

J Reggie

• Witch
    • View Profile
    • Jeff Rosenthal Music
« Reply #108 on: April 30, 2017, 11:17:47 pm »

Ill-Gotten Gains/Banquet

Coppers are actually quite decent already in your standard Ill-Gotten Gains/Duchy rush, and chances are you´ll be able to buy IGG in all your 10 starting turns, most engines would really struggle to get going under those conditions (specially if you are first player and give out two curses before the first shuffle)...

I had a game with this. I'd go so far as to call it a combo. Cue Awaclus.

Derg17

• Bishop
  • Shuffle iT Username: Derg17
  • Respect: +50
    • View Profile

City Quarter - Rats

There was no other trashing. It's always fun to find a strong rats board.
twitch.tv/derg17
My youtube channel

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile

Ill-Gotten Gains/Banquet

It's a rush, not a combo.

AJD

• Margrave
    • View Profile
+3

Ill-Gotten Gains/Banquet

trivialknot

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +343
    • View Profile

Treasure Map / Triumph is a known synergy.  Play treasure maps, buy Triumph, get 5 points while easily paying off debt the next turn.

Well, I played a game with Treasure Map, Triumph, and Traveling Fair.  I spent several turns alternating between playing Treasure Maps and buying Triumph, and buying Traveling Fair/double T-map.  To cap it all off, Baker let me open double T-map.  Of course, I still lost.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile

Ill-Gotten Gains/Banquet

I recently played a game with this very cool combo in it! Smithy+Silver!

Chris is me

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
+3

Ill-Gotten Gains/Banquet

Please keep discussions of comboes out of this thread if you can. The scope of this thread was intentionally defined to try and prevent this discussion, just so we could focus on talking about neat ways cards interact with each other.

bug me on discord

they/them

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile

Please keep discussions of comboes out of this thread if you can. The scope of this thread was intentionally defined to try and prevent this discussion, just so we could focus on talking about neat ways cards interact with each other.

I thought this was a "Best Dominion moments" variant thread.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +8186
    • View Profile

Alms-Villa

I only had to play a few Alms/Villa games before I never wanted to play another Alms/Villa game again.

4est

• Baron
    • View Profile
+6

Coin of the Realm + Storyteller

Coin of the Realm is an excellent source of cheap +Actions since you can call it exactly when you need it (for what's effectively +3 Actions since it doesn't use an action), but it suffers from two downsides: first, when they're not on your mat, they're effectively coppers and too many can clog your deck; secondly, you can't usually call it on the turn you play it since it's a Treasure that is usually played during your buy phase, which basically means you only get the +Actions effect every other turn. 

Storyteller resolves both of the above downsides beautifully.  First, it turns your CotRs into draw, and then it immediately puts them onto your Tavern Mat during your action phase so you can use them later during the same turn.  I recently used this interaction on a board without other +Actions to keep my Goons engine firing each turn. 

faust

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +1880
    • View Profile

Advance - Villa

This is pretty neat even outside of "win on turn 2" solutions.

Starting the turn with a bunch a bunch of terminals? Advance one into Villa, continue turn. Only $4 to spend and want a more expensive action? Buy Villa and Advance.
Wins: M30, M36, M41, M53, M55, M63, M66, M71, M74, M75, M77, RMM11, RMM12, RMM14, RMM16, RMM18, RMM23, NMV, M31, M42, M56, M65, RMM20, RMM24, RMM28, M61, RMM22
Losses: NM4, M33, M35, M37, M38, M45, M46, M60, M68, M69, M82, RMM13, RMM21, RMM26, M43, M51, M58, M72, M83, RMM15, RMM33

MVPs: M41, M53, M63, M65, M66, RMM20, RMM24, RMM28
Win percentage: 56.3 (27/48)
Modded games: M40, M50, M59, M69, M79, RMM19, RMM25, RMM30

Most people are complete idiots.

Chris is me

• Mountebank
    • View Profile

Advance - Villa

This is pretty neat even outside of "win on turn 2" solutions.

Starting the turn with a bunch a bunch of terminals? Advance one into Villa, continue turn. Only $4 to spend and want a more expensive action? Buy Villa and Advance.

You can't buy Villa and Advance (trashing Villa) on the same turn without a different source of +Buy.

(Remember what I said about "the game you found them in"...)

bug me on discord

they/them

luser

• Duke
    • View Profile
+2

remake/advance/poor house is insane. With buy in board in makes getting lot of five cards easy.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2017, 04:52:51 am by luser »

4est

• Baron
    • View Profile
+4

Chariot Race + Secret Passage

Chariot Race has so much potential to be a fantastic source of VP: cheap, peddler-variant, and easily spammable, but its randomness makes it unreliable--paying $3 for what are often just plain cantrips half the time isn't so great.  There basically are two primary ways to make Chariot Race activate more consistently: A) have a higher average value deck than your opponent, or B) control what's on top of your deck. 

Secret Passage is tailor-made for controlling the top of your deck and activating your Chariot Races.  With Chariot Race in hand, playing Secret Passage allows you to drop the most expensive card in your hand on top, like a $5, a Gold, or a Province, to vastly increase your chances of getting the coin and VP.  Even better, you're happy buying lots of both cards since they're both non-terminal, and each pair can practically guarantee each of your Chariot Races are enabled.  I played game the other day where a single Gold was my expensive card that I could repeatedly drop back on top with each of my Secret Passages and redraw with each of my Chariot Races, generating 5-7 VP every single turn thereafter.  With another strong terminal attack to slow your opponent down (in my game it was Ghost Ship), you can pile the Secret Passages and Chariot Races and then theoretically earn points almost infinitely without ever greening. 

J Reggie

• Witch
    • View Profile
    • Jeff Rosenthal Music

But doesn't Ghost Ship kind of anti-synergize with Chariot Race?

4est

• Baron
    • View Profile

But doesn't Ghost Ship kind of anti-synergize with Chariot Race?

At least in that particular game, I'd always play Ghost Ship last, after all my other actions, so my opponent couldn't put something expensive on top to try and stop my Chariot Races.  But really, which specific terminal attack you use isn't all that important here, it's just another component that can supplement the Chariot Race/Secret Passage synergy to slow them down in building up a higher cost average deck.  Even without an attack, Chariot Race/Secret Passage seems like it can be pretty good interaction on its own. 

drsteelhammer

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: drsteelhammer
  • Respect: +1225
    • View Profile

On a board with no village or non terminal draw, Chariot race might slightly mitigate the downside of the attack, but definitely not antisynergize.
Join the Dominion League!

There is no bad shuffle that can not be surmounted by scorn.

luser

• Duke
    • View Profile

Got another interaction with chariot race - sea hag. It needs good trashing to make hag otherwise ignorable but you topdeck curse just for lot of vp even if its trashed next turn

AJD

• Margrave
    • View Profile

Similarly, from a game I just played—it's not like Chariot Race is a strong counter to Rabble or anything, but once you've trashed your Estates and started buying Provinces, it's nice to know that on a turn when you've been Rabbled, at least your Chariot Races will probably score.

benedettosoxfan

• Pawn
  • Shuffle iT Username: benedettosoxfan
  • Respect: +4
    • View Profile

I'm not sure how well known this, but I found that playing a Band of Misfits as a Conspirator counts as two actions. The Band of Misfits counts as one action, and then playing it as a Conspirator counts as a second action, so you only need to play one preliminary action card before the Band of Misfits to get the Conspirator's effect to activate.
I haven't tried this yet, but I'm guessing that playing Band of Misfits would also cause Peddler's price to drop more rapidly.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile

I'm not sure how well known this, but I found that playing a Band of Misfits as a Conspirator counts as two actions. The Band of Misfits counts as one action, and then playing it as a Conspirator counts as a second action, so you only need to play one preliminary action card before the Band of Misfits to get the Conspirator's effect to activate.
I haven't tried this yet, but I'm guessing that playing Band of Misfits would also cause Peddler's price to drop more rapidly.

Peddler doesn't care how many Actions you have played, it cares how many you have in play. So BoM only counts as one.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +8714
    • View Profile
+5

Treasury/Dominate

You may have gained a Province, but you didn't buy one, so all those Treasuries go back on your deck.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

LaLight

• Tactician
  • Shuffle iT Username: LaLight
  • Because I'm a potato
  • Respect: +424
    • View Profile
+2

Overlord as BoM as Conspirator is instaactivated :)
Wow where is all this LaLight love coming from all of the sudden?

Wins: M87, M85, M92, M98, RMM37, RMM39, BM24, M86, M94, M95
Losses: M88, M90, RMM38, NM8, NM9, M97, ZM23, NM10
Draws: RMM40
Lynched: M95, NM10
MVPs: RMM39
Mod/Co-mod: RMM37, M89, M93, M91, M96, RMM41, M98

SirClemens

• Salvager
  • Respect: +425
    • View Profile

Overlord as BoM as Conspirator is instaactivated :)

Only if you reduced Conspirator's cost to zero. Your Overlord played as BoM emulates a card costing less than 8 debt.
Too bad Dominion doesn't have Gunpowder.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
+6

Only if you reduced Conspirator's cost to zero. Your Overlord played as BoM emulates a card costing less than 8 debt.

Your Overlord played as BoM costs $5, not , as long as it's in play. If it's in the trash by the time you play it, then that's how it would work.

SirClemens

• Salvager
  • Respect: +425
    • View Profile

Your Overlord played as BoM costs $5, not , as long as it's in play. If it's in the trash by the time you play it, then that's how it would work.

Thanks for the clarification!
Too bad Dominion doesn't have Gunpowder.

xyz123

• Bishop
  • Respect: +170
    • View Profile

Small Castle + Lurker (Graverobber and Rogue would also work)

If you are able to retrieve Small Castle from the trash after playing it, you can play it again later to gain further Castles.
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 6 [All]

Page created in 0.251 seconds with 21 queries.