Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Possible improper use of UNDO  (Read 4052 times)

Jeb

• Moneylender
  • All decks on hand!
  • Respect: +43
    • View Profile
Possible improper use of UNDO
« on: February 03, 2017, 11:25:40 pm »
+5

I tend to grant most UNDO requests. However, in the following situation, I didn't feel compelled to. I wonder if you have encountered similar situations.

We were playing a board with tournament and vault. I played a vault. My opponent discarded 2 cards. I later played a tournament for card and coin allowing me to hit 8 and to buy a province. My opponent promptly requested a "UNDO". I posted "what do you want to do?", to which (s)he replied "don't want to discard on your turn... I had a province". I denied the request. (S)he left the table.   :(

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: irrationalE
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
Re: Possible improper use of UNDO
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2017, 11:35:34 pm »
+9

I agree with your decision to not grant an undo there
Man. I had four strips of bacon yesterday. Was one automatically undercooked, one automatically overcooked? No, let's put a stop to that right here, all four strips were excellent.

aku_chi

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: aku chi
  • Respect: +1436
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2017, 11:38:06 pm »
+4

I also would not have granted an undo in that circumstance; making decisions with incomplete information is an important and interesting element of the game of Dominion.

I think the value of the undo is to increase the speed of play while decreasing the risk of a hasty non-optimal decision.  Basically, I want people to play Dominion as well as if they thought through each play and its execution deliberately, but without the burden of actually doing so (which would be time consuming and stressful).  I will always be willing to grant an undo if no new information was gained.  I will also grant information-gaining undos if I believe that the information gained will not affect the outcome.

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2017, 03:53:13 am »

Yeah, obviously you don't grant that. What a dickish move to request it in the first place. I don't get people who don't grant it.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2017, 04:54:18 am »
+2

I have encountered a situation where I misclicked on my turn, forgot that there's an undo feature, passed the turn and then said something about it in the chat just for small talk, and my opponent suggested that we could undo it, but since he had already played cards (which were not really relevant to the "decision" I made, anyway), I declined since I didn't think it would have been appropriate to undo after getting that new information of seeing the cards he played.

So yeah, I totally wouldn't have granted that undo.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3458
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2017, 07:51:52 am »
+1

Yeah, that's a super blatantly bad use of Undo; clearly they would not have requested it if you didn't play the Tournament.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9412
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2017, 01:02:04 pm »
+1

I find that my most common uses of Undo involve forgetting to play treasures before buying debt  cards.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

luser

• Tactician
  • Respect: +353
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2017, 04:31:46 pm »

I find that my most common uses of Undo involve forgetting to play treasures before buying debt  cards.

Yes, thats problem of autobuy that it should play all for debt cards.

majiponi

• Jester
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2017, 03:43:03 am »

Well, I don't care opponent's undo. I've NEVER seen a winner in the game he undoes. Literally NEVER. I want to see his winning.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2017, 04:16:12 pm »

I could post this in a separate thread; but can someone explain what autobuy is? I've seen the option and never tried turning it on.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3458
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2017, 04:40:39 pm »

I could post this in a separate thread; but can someone explain what autobuy is? I've seen the option and never tried turning it on.

Basically when your Buy phase starts, if you have Autobuy on, you just click the card you want and it will autoplay the appropriate number of Treasures to buy it and then buy the card for you. It's nice because it's really fast and because it avoids revealing that you have more treasures than you chose to play. It's annoying because it is less clear that buying a Debt card won't put any money on the table and that you will have no extra coin for your second buy. Even with autobuy on you can still buy stuff the normal way. Just takes a bit of getting used to.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

kieranmillar

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: kieranmillar
  • Respect: +355
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2017, 02:38:31 am »

I like autobuy, but you also need to watch out when it comes to +buy events, as it will make the buy usually without playing all your treasures. In the case of alms, great! Borrow, it's a problem.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9412
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2017, 12:34:29 pm »

I like autobuy, but you also need to watch out when it comes to +buy events, as it will make the buy usually without playing all your treasures. In the case of alms, great! Borrow, it's a problem.

Or +Buy of any kind.  If you have 3 Festivals in play and 6 Platinums in hand, and auto-buy a Province, it'll play only the first Platinum.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2017, 03:57:01 pm »

Basically when your Buy phase starts, if you have Autobuy on, you just click the card you want and it will autoplay the appropriate number of Treasures to buy it and then buy the card for you. It's nice because it's really fast and because it avoids revealing that you have more treasures than you chose to play. It's annoying because it is less clear that buying a Debt card won't put any money on the table and that you will have no extra coin for your second buy. Even with autobuy on you can still buy stuff the normal way. Just takes a bit of getting used to.

Ok, makes sense. But I think it's a terrible name for the feature... should be "auto play treasures." No buying is happening automatically.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

funkdoc

• Witch
  • Respect: +414
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2017, 01:27:16 pm »
+1

the only time i've run into a shady undoer (now there's a username for ya!) was a game where my opponent kept requesting it every time their encampment didn't draw a plunder.  took me a couple times before i figured out what was up, haha
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.082 seconds with 20 queries.