Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Initial Impressions of Empires Cards, Events & Landmarks + 2e cards and Sauna  (Read 6045 times)

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
+5

Now that Empires has been out online for a month now, I thought I would get everyone's impressions of the cards and whether or not they think the cards met, exceeded or came in below expectations.

I don't have much time, so I will only post a handful of cards right now, and discuss more cards later. With that said, here are some thoughts.

Charm: When I first I saw this, I thought it seemed pretty strong, like HoP level. It ends up, the card is pretty situational. Although, today, I pulled off a nice engine where I gained lots of cards with Charm. The card is good, but not amazing.

Gladiator/Fortune: This looked okay, but then once you play, it, you realize how good doubling your money really is. At first, I was blown away by the card. Fortune is still very strong, but I have come to realize that it is not KC power level.

City Quarter: This looked amazing and is amazing. You do get the occasional dud hand, but this card is super powerful. Lost City is good, and this is Lost City on steriods.

Engineer: My initial impression was that the card was utter crap. It ends up this is arguably one of the best Workshop variants in the game, probably right behind IW.

Capital: This card looked bad, and I'm still not impressed by it. I guess on some boards it shines, but this feels very situational.

Royal Blacksmith: This looked like a great terminal draw card. It pretty much works as expected. The ability to buy with debt gives it an edge though since you can use a spare buy to pick it up a turn earlier.

Encampment/Plunder: The return to the supply pile had me worried and made me worried why I would spend a buy on it. It ends up Encampment is really, really good. A lot of times it ends up being a $2 Lost City. Plunder is only slightly better than expected. I think people are overrating it right now. In an engine, you usually want other engine components. I guess having one helps keep your Encampments, but you don't want to load your deck with Plunders, at least not usually.

Catapult/Rocks: I recall AdamH claiming Catapult was crap either in one of his videos or reddit or somewhere. I read Catapult and thought it looked like a decent trasher, and it ends up it is a decent trasher. It's not Steward, but the card can hurt your opponent. Rocks is well, Rocks and my low opinion of it has not really changed much since I first saw the card.

Castles: At first, these seemed really awesome. Then I played with them and thought they sucked. Now, I think there are boards going for Castles is worth it. If your opponent is just going for Provinces and you have the better engine but greened later, you can catch up. Also, some of the abilities on the Castles are pretty nice such as the one that lets you discard victory cards for coins. Still though, Castles are pretty situational as it seems many of the new cards are.

Sacrifice: This card seemed very strong at first. Now, my impression is going down. Moneylender gives more coin. Sure this is more flexible, but truth is, Sacrifice is roughly on the same level as Moneylender.

Temple: This felt like another amazing trasher. It's good, but later on, you're just trashing a copper with it. The Gathering mechanic is interesting, but overall, this card is slightly weaker than I initially thought. I guess the reason for that is that there are just so many trashers these days and many of them are very good.

Settlers/Bustling Village: This looked pretty amazing at first. It ends up Settlers sucks on the majority of boards. BV helps draw Settlers so, it's sort of a pseudo lab, but is it worth the effort to get? Sometimes, it is if no other village is present, but if a Village is on the board, Settlers often turns the entire pile into a dead pile which is a darn shame.

Patrician/Emporium: These both seemed good to me. I don't mean powerful good, but decent cards that you don't mind having in your deck. Patrician is often times a Lab in a thin deck, and overall more reliable than Vagrant. Emporium on the other hand is just decent. I mean sometimes the 2VP comes in handy, but it really is a Peddler. It's not bad. It's just often there are better things to do when and if Emporium comes out.

Sauna/Avanto: Once I realized you can chain these things like crazy, I thought this card seemed crazy powerful, and these split pile is crazy powerful. I'm not not sure yet what is the optimal way to play it, but you have a trasher, super draw power, plus village power all rolled into a single pile. Strong stuff.

That's it for me for right now. I will provide more of my thoughts and impressions later on. What are your thoughts on any of the new cards or card shaped things that have come out?

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile

Catapult/Rocks: I recall AdamH claiming Catapult was crap either in one of his videos or reddit or somewhere. I read Catapult and thought it looked like a decent trasher, and it ends up it is a decent trasher. It's not Steward, but the card can hurt your opponent. Rocks is well, Rocks and my low opinion of it has not really changed much since I first saw the card.

I think Rocks is still worth picking up just for Catapult fodder, assuming you've already trashed the stuff you wanted to get rid of already.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ThetaSigma12
  • Respect: +1812
    • View Profile

I'll just go through and say my thoughts on the ones you did:

Charm: At first, I didn't know what to think. It seemed okay. Now I think it's really good. With the recent expansions, there've been more and more cards that are good on many boards, and this can let you get an extra with your . That's like + and +1 Buy. Admittedly, it is a bit hard to line things up so it's not a dud hand. The other option is good too.

Gladiator/Fortune: Fortune looked nuts and gladiator looked bad. After a few plays, they kinda swapped. Gladiator is really good, a terminal gold for many times. Fortune is okay, just it's not always the + you hoped.

City Quarter: This looked really bad at first, but now it's insane. It's essentially a slightly weaker madman, but way easier to get.

Engineer: At first I thought it was okay, and now it's just good. I wouldn't say it's a powerhouse, but it's a decent card that fills several good niches. Kudos to GeeJoo for semi-calling it a while ago.

Capital: It looked interesting, and now I think it's pretty good. The ability to build 2x as fast in one turn and not at all in the next works out pretty good.

Royal Blacksmith: It's terminal draw, what to say? Good with trashing.

Encampment/Plunder: At first it seemed weak, a one shot? I'll pass unless there's good +Buy. But actually, with any trashing, it's insane, like really insane. Plunder is really good too. If you can get 3 of them that's like a duchy per turn.

Catapult/Rocks: I thought it was really good, turned out I think it's crap.

Castles: They seemed dominant at first, but actually they only work on some boards, but just not really on others. However, you need to watch out because any time somebody can get all 10 you need to make sure to stop them.

Sacrifice: This card seemed good at first, and it's still okay. The +2 for estates is cool.

Temple: It looked weak, and I still think it is. It can help your opponent too much.

Settlers/Bustling Village: This looked nice at first, with Bustling Village looking really amazing. However, Settlers is just too bad to help Bustling Village.

Patrician/Emporium: Patrician seemed really bad, but now I think it's somewhere around Vagrant. Weak usually, but still shines sometimes. Emporium is pretty good but on the wrong board, it just does zilch.

Sauna/Avanto: Nuts. Trashing, Drawing, and Villages all in one pile. If you can snag all 10 of these first then the games yours.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2017, 04:20:25 pm by ThetaSigma12 »
My magnum opus collection of dominion fan cards is available here!

JW

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: JW
  • Respect: +1792
    • View Profile

Castles: At first, these seemed really awesome. Then I played with them and thought they sucked. Now, I think there are boards going for Castles is worth it. If your opponent is just going for Provinces and you have the better engine but greened later, you can catch up. Also, some of the abilities on the Castles are pretty nice such as the one that lets you discard victory cards for coins. Still though, Castles are pretty situational as it seems many of the new cards are.

Castles: At first, these seemed really awesome. Then I played with them and thought they sucked. Now, I think there are boards going for Castles is worth it. If your opponent is just going for Provinces and you have the better engine but greened later, you can catch up. Also, some of the abilities on the Castles are pretty nice such as the one that lets you discard victory cards for coins. Still, though, Castles are pretty situational as it seems many of the new cards are.

Beyond Awesome has found the one use of Possession that I support!

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
    • View Profile

I was too lazy to do all that work, so I just copied his text and inserted my opinions instead. The question is, who's possesing whom?

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
+1

Charm: Solid card, flexible.

Gladiator/Fortune: Fortune is awesome and better than King's Court.

City Quarter: Awesome.

Engineer: Good.

Capital: Good, great at spiking.

Royal Blacksmith: Good.

Encampment/Plunder: Encampment is the 4th best .  Plunder is okay.

Catapult/Rocks: Catapult is awesome!  I don't understand how you people don't see this yet.  Rocks is fine.

Castles: I'm starting to realize these are often a trap.  But they're still awesome!

Sacrifice: FUCKING AWESOME.  Criminally underrated in the rankings currently.

Temple: Pretty good.  Can get a lot of .

Settlers/Bustling Village: Ehhhhhhhh best if you have no Copper trashing.

Patrician/Emporium: Ehhhhh?  I like Emporium.

Sauna/Avanto: AWESOME
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

kieranmillar

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: kieranmillar
  • Respect: +355
    • View Profile
+2

I was actually thinking about the possibly-inaccurate power predictions thread from the Empires Previews board recently and my opinions on cards from back then. Before ShuffleIt my experience was mostly 4 player games so I think my experience with some of the cards was very different. I think it will be interesting to look back and see what I think now.

Kingdom cards for now.

Debt

Engineer: With second edition adding more workshop-friendly cards to the mix in base-only games I've gained a new appreciation for workshop and its variants, and Engineer is actually an extremely good workshop variant as far as they go. It's really good at helping you get key piles and the fact that it goes away when you're done means I'm more willing to buy it to help empty a single other pile than I would with many other workshop-likes, where I typically look to have more than one pile to gain from. This is a solid card.

City Quarter: As nutso as everyone suspected it would be. There are boards where it won't matter because it's hard to get your action density up, but it's usually obvious what those boards are. Watch out for crazy combos with Vault and Storeroom, and any discard for benefit really. City Quarter + Storeroom is frightening the way your opponent can suddenly start generating absurd amounts of cash, and comes with +buys too!

Overlord: I've been buying it and opening with it less than I thought I might, but it's still very strong. You ideally need to be able to take advantage of its flexibilty for it to work well, paying 8 to get a 5 one shuffle earlier is not always worth it if it stops you from building fast and early. I have seen games where the high cost means buying one early caused my opponent to do something like badly lose a crucial village split (splitter split?), and with Overlord no longer able to mimic the only villages it did not go well for them.

Royal Blacksmith: It's excellent, but you really really want copper trashing, although buying it and using it before the coppers are all gone is not such a big deal. Counting House is a cute combo in the absence of trashing, but in my experience actually not very reliable because you need a village in your starting 5 and have a bunch of coppers around. Make no mistake though, this is strong draw.

$2

Encampment / Plunder: I predicted Encampment was the real rockstar here and I still agree. Almost never see Plunder actually show up. Buying an encampment with a spare $2 buy is generally very good, and if you eventually get a gold and luck into keeping these, then it can be excellent engine grease. Having them be set aside is really not all that bad, even one use can still be strong, like an early silver buy that goes away so you can get that one $5 cost you wanted.

Patrician / Emporium: Found this pile to be hard to make use of, but when Emporiums are available then they are great to pick up a lot of the time. A peddler almost-duchy can really help to keep up points-wise without stalling.

Settlers / Bustling Village: I have seen this pile be irrelevant more often than not but when building a deck-drawing engine is quite hard then don't underestimate this! I have been crushed by underestimating how having settlers can sometimes turn bustling village into a lab, and sometimes that's really important in a deck that otherwise struggles with draw. And when that lab has one of the cards be a guaranteed peddler, then hey that's also excellent. Actually trying to use the bustling village as your only village can be unreliable at times, its much worse than Port in that respect, but Port is an insane power card so that's hardly a fair comparison.

$3

Castles: I have found these hard to use, but now my opinion is starting to go more towards the point of the pile largely being Opulent Castle a lot of the time. If you are making an engine and think you will be able to get a lot of use from Opulent Castle, especially if other payload is lacking, then start buying these. The other castles help prevent you from falling behind too much on points until BOOM, payload time!

Catapult / Rocks: After being initially extremely critical of this pile I have been focussing on trying to understand these cards more. I have seen games go both ways on this, with some boards it is is dominating and on others it is way too slow. I think the attacks are really the decider here on if you want it. If the board is one where your opponent wants lots of $5 costs early, it can be good to open double-catapult and really stop them from getting there with discard attacks while you thin and pick up silvers. And the cursing can be devastating if the curses are a big deal, which usually means there is no other trashing. Its also in this latter case that Rocks finally has some use, getting your opponent curses really fast. Buying one guarantees a silver in your next hand, hopefully prime for trashing. On really weak boards mass-catapult is actually a thing and can be really crushing, but with even half-decent engine potential I've also lost badly by doing that. In boards with strong engines you actually want to prioritise building first, and then look to attack your opponent each turn once you mostly reliably start to draw your deck each turn, as if you use this early then you really aren't buying many $5 cards yourself. So overall I'd say that these cards are OK, and probably 50/50 whether I use them or not. Very dependant on the rest of the board.

Chariot Race: I have found it very hard to consistently generate lots of points with these even with strong trashing, as your opponent will usually trash a lot too, and if they don't well you were probably gonna win anyway. There are really two things that make this pile work: Easy gaining, or Plan. So basically I think these have quite high opportunity cost under normal circumstances. Keep an eye out for when your opponent tries to topdeck your provinces with Rabble, and remember to thank them. Every time.

Enchantress: It's OK? Honestly the attack effect is not always as big a deal as I suspected it might be, but the draw at the start of your next turn can really matter. At its best in decks where your opponent has low action density, as otherwise it's easy to shrug off the attack with a spare action. If there are easy to get cantrips, like Magpie, then the attack makes very little difference, but you might still want 2 of them to start turns with 7 cards. Helps with reliability.

Farmer's Market: In practice not so great a lot of the time. The points come too slowly to matter all that much a lot of the time, but sometimes you really want them because you're desperate for a Woodcutter-like. The times when it does work in my experience are in the absence of other decent payload and with a lot of spare actions. Then it's better to buy them instead of gold, as you still generate a bunch of cash, but the points start to add up and the buys can really help with pile control. But it's not the best terminal payload ever. Leagues below bridge, for example.

Gladiator / Fortune: We all know Fortune is insanity, but I'd like to call out Gladiator for also being quite good. Often I have found that a terminal silver that is sometimes a terminal gold can make a much better opener on your $3 than a silver, especially when the engine is good, as it's better both while building and in the long run. And when Fortune is available, it can help you spike it early AND gives you a gold for even more payload when you buy Fortune. Using it to buy Possession on turn 3 is still my stand-out 2017 Dominion moment.

$4

Sacrifice: At first I thought using this to trash estates for the VP chips was really good, but over time I've come to feel like this is the weakest of the three options and you shouldn't buy this just to trash estates if other trashers are around. However this card is still excellent, and trashing actions with it is very good if you have a way to get lots of actions for low opportunity cost. Note: Rats not quite the amazing combo you might hope for, despite what I just said.

Temple: I still think this is really strong, but I don't think winning the points pile is as good as I first thought. However the point on each use is still very good, they really add up, and so I'd still look to get a second one a bit later most of the time, and usually an opportunity to do that while getting even more points inevitably presents itself. Often building a bit more earlier on is more important then that second Temple. I'd still buy this over many other trashers.

Villa: This card is super good, no change in opinion here. Focus on buying your draw first, and pick up villas when you draw actions dead as the opportunity presents itself. In this way it lets you build good engines much more efficiently, letting you cycle while playing the good stuff earlier. You usually want to focus on get draw up first anyway, but it really really matters more when villa is on the board. Get draw early or die.

$5

Archive: I still like this, but have found more use for it as supplemental draw to grease your engine. Going all-out on Archive's doesn't always work as well as you might hope unless there is little trashing or filtering otherwise.

Capital: The best part of this czard is the +buy a lot of the time. This card is narrow and I've found little use for it, but there was this one board where the +buy was crucial.

Charm: I have underestimated this. Even if only used as a treasure Woodcutter that can still matter a heck of a lot, and sometimes will be even better than that if you choose the other option. A Woodcutter+ you can't draw dead can help a lot with engine building, and I've been caught out when my opponent has bought this as their first buy and crushed me, more than once!

Crown: I've yet to see a board where this didn't have some use, even if you don't want to buy it early. Decent almost always, exceptional sometimes.

Forum: "Excellent sifter but a tad on the expensive side. That whole no-buy cost thing? You will only rarely take advantage of that." <--- my opinion from the power predictions thread still stands.

Groundskeeper: Much stronger than I first thought. Better than Duchy most of the time because Duchy being a stop card really hurts. Even if you buy just one shortly before greening you can get at least 3 points from it in which case it was superior to Duchy, same points but not a stop card. If there's a strong engine with at least one or two extra buys available then get as many of these as you can, you can easily turn estates into Provinces and catch up super fast.

Legionary: Are you already winning? Win harder! Like Torturer, some games can be decided by who gets this off first, crippling your opponent's ability to build their engine as well as you can. Hitting them with this combo can make it harder for them to do the same to you, unless they throw away their turn to hit you back. Look for boards where you can gain multiple engine pieces per turn, especially via buys. You will get lots of money and buy loads of stuff, your opponent will often do nowhere nearly as well on the turns they are hit, and once that starts happening every turn they are dead.

Wild Hunt: You'll know when its a crazy Wild Hunt engine board, and then winning the split is crucial. This card is both your draw AND your payload, and its as good as that sounds.

----------

I'll talk about the events and landmarks tomorrow I guess.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2017, 06:24:52 pm by kieranmillar »

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5160
    • View Profile
+1

Random thoughts:

Farmers' Market: Seemed like a glorified Woodcutter first. But man, the VP gaining is so important.

Archive: I was initially unimpressed, and still think it's a fairly weak card.

Galdiator/Fortune: I think Gladiator is somewhat overbought for hopes of a Fortune. But the trashing really helps to make it to Fortune, and then Having Gladiators when yor opponent doesn't is quite important.

Sauna/Avanto: So much craziness.

Artisan: It's often not that great. Maybe it is hurt a bit by appearing predominantly in mostly Base games due to the familiar cards rule.

Lurker: With strong actions, it is very interesting. Had a game with Lurker and Possession. No surprise, both piles emptied quickly.

Harbinger, Settlers, Bustling Village: All of these suffer from the fact that an engine usually has an empty discard. Bustling Village's effect in particular is hard to use effectively.

Capital: I want to make a Capital megaturn work, but it is much more difficult than HoP.

Conquest: Seemed crappy at first, but if you can gain some Silvers beforehand, it gets pretty good. I played a simply Village/Smithy/Workshop game with this. Buying two Conquests after gaining 3 Silvers is worth 2 Provinces and puts you in a spot where you can consistently buy Provinces.

Defiled Shrine: Of all the will-they-won't-they decisions in Empires, this is the most interesting one. Power it up even more or take the Curse? It says much about an engine when the best time to buy the Curse is for it.

Charm: A treasure with just +$2, +1 buy would probably already be better than the majority of existing $5 treasures. This has some neat extra functionality. It's always okay, sometimes decent (with multiple good cards at one expensive price point), but hardly ever amazing. Fun with Prince.

Castles: There's still a lot left to discover. I've found it hard to make use of the more expensive Castles' special abilities.

Triumph: Definitely correctly named. Buying it after lots of gains feels so good.

Keep: Completely nuts. Every kingdom treasure is effectively worth almost a Province. Well, that's not really true, but you are usually at a point where buying it either gives you 5 VP or makes your opponent lose them.

Orchard: Found this to be one of the Landmarks that has a larger effect on your overall strategy (along with Wall and Bandit Fort).

Bandit: It's a solid card, but Thief was much more fun on the rare boards where it was good.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

kieranmillar

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: kieranmillar
  • Respect: +355
    • View Profile
+3

Part 2!

Events

Triumph: I've found myself rarely buying it, but when it's good, it's good! Very narrow in practice.

Annex: I really don't know what to think about this yet as I've almost never actually bought it. I might be missing something, but it seems tough to find the right time to use it.

Donate: We all know this is absurdly strong. It's always so tempting to open with lots of money then just trash down to 3 silvers or whatever, but I'm sure this can't be the right play a bunch of times, but man is it hard to justify.

Advance: It's alright. Encourages you to open double-terminal and still get a good card if they collide. Also nice to get rid of your trasher later. It's basically pretty useful once or twice per game most of the time I'd say.

Delve: I have certainly over-bought this on occasion. How many silvers do you really need on a typical board? Finding it hard to judge how good it really is under normal circumstances.

Tax: This can really hurt. It's like Embargo except way more useful, and you can easily screw yourself over in the same way. Look to get a lead and then you can wallop your opponent's economy.

Banquet: Crap most of the time in my experience. Almost never actually bought it.

Ritual: This has been disappointing every time I've tried to use it. What am I missing?

Salt the Earth: At first I wasn't so sure but now I've really come round to this. This can really complicate the end-game as long as you have even a few extra buys. It's so easy to get caught out by a mass province trash.

Wedding: Actually not all that great really. Where it shines is when you want to amass a bunch of golds early while skipping silver, for things like Remodel variants. This + Replace can be nice, get early golds, buy a replace, slap your opponent with curses while getting early provinces.

Windfall: Big payload fast in boards where you an pull it off, obviously completely useless on a number of boards. So exactly what everyone expected.

Conquest: I have found this to be really good on boards where you were looking to double-province anyway but can get a third buy. You can spend $18 and 3 buys to get the same points, but 6 silvers instead of 2 provinces, which often helps to more consistently keep provincing, or even enable a triple-province next turn. Initially over-drawing is key here so you can handle the extra treasure. If there are other ways to gain silvers then the points can add up fast. I think you need to pay attention to this, even in fragile engines, but it's rare to get the board where this becomes your primary source of points throughout the game. Sometimes you only want one multi-buy turn with it.

Dominate: If it's possible to buy this, then you have to go for it. Against someone trying to get provinces normally it can catch up so so fast. A really cool and fun event.

Landmarks

Aqueduct: I suspected that this would encourage situational early-to-mid-game greening and I still think that is the case. In my experience it's the games with gold gainers that this tends to be worth a noticeable amount of points, as the 8 on the gold pile don't always come into play otherwise. Heck sometimes the silver pile remains largely untouched too.

Arena: Encourages you to open with two terminals a bit, but ultimately I found it's not worth going out of your way to get the points, it will sometimes happen anyway. Yay? A nice booby prize but often having unplayable actions can set you behind in a way that getting 2 points isn't enough compensation.

Bandit Fort: This sure is a thing. Obviously kills any strategy that looks to gain a lot of silver or gold, but in many boards you only want one or two silvers and this doesn't always change that. Look for terminal payload instead of golds even if it's usually not all that great (e.g. Harvest), otherwise consider a single-province engine. If you get a lot of silver or gold the point losses really do add up.

Basilica: Like Arena, this has been a bit "whatever" to me.

Baths: Like Arena and Basillica, this has been a bit "whatever" to me. Encourages you to trash hard early I guess?

Battlefield: I think this really does matter and makes both weaker engines that green earlier and alt-vp green card strategies more viable. I like this one a lot.

Colonnade: Look to build your engine components from mutliple copies of the same card for a few bonus points. It sometimes matters, but this is not all that strong.

Defiled Shrine: Points accumulate onto the shrine extremely quickly. I've found it very hard to judge the timing on this one. Getting a curse early is so so bad but man those points! Often most of the points you're gonna see go onto this quite quickly so winning that large buy can make a big difference.

Fountain: I've yet to see a game where someone actually used this. Whatever.

Keep: Very strong. Lots and lots of points here. Strategies where you get lots of treasures really can get a lot of points with this.

Labyrinth: I've never specifically gone for this. Whatever. Gaining multiple cards per turn is often what you want to do anyway.

Mountain Pass: This one seems like it will take a bit of getting used to. So far the debt has almost always felt like an attack, you really don't want to be saddled with a lot of debt, it can negate an entire turn or more, and often at a crucial time. So you often don't want to win it, but you want to encourage your opponent to take on enough debt so that they don't get points for cheap. Been very hard to gauge so far.

Museum: This can be worth a lot of points and is really good in solid engines, but if the board is mostly terminals, then honestly it can be a trap, where you're treating each of those extra buys like picking up a tunnel when there is no way to discard. You especially don't want to pick up $5 terminals if you're not gonna play them, just get a Duchy instead!

Obelisk: If not yet seen this matter, but I still feel like it can. For example I had a board where Raze was the chosen pile, and I bought a bunch, but I bought them to actually use them and ended up trashing most of them like planned. The points just weren't relevant.

Orchard: In the predictions thread I was a bit down on this, but this really helps out engines and is usually worth many more points than I was first giving credit for. Many alternative strategies struggle vs an engine that also gets a free 12 points.

Palace: This is another mostly ignorable landmark so far, but keep an eye out for situations near the end game where buying a copper or silver or gold will give you Duchy points.

Tomb: My prediction was so wrong about this. This is one of the stronger landmarks most of the time. Even crappy trashing can suddenly end up so much better if you look to make this work.

Tower: How good is this really? The differences in points if the splits are uneven is actually super-small. In my experience the curses no longer costing you points is one of this landmark's biggest strengths. Look for sneaky curse-pile pile-outs!

Triumphal Arch: This has not seemed very important in practice. I think I still need to see it a bit more.

Wall: A very very big deal. This has always had a dominating presence when it's shown up.

Wolf Den: Another big deal. It turns out there's a surprising number of cards where you usually only want to get one copy. Watch out for this, and remember to pay attention at the end of the game. No, that's not a tie-breaker estate and you will lose if you buy it.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2017, 06:42:49 pm by kieranmillar »

ehunt

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ehunt
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
+1

Sauna/Avanto: These cards are so good when you have most of them, but Sauna itself is not the best, and wasting gains to open up the Avantos for your opponent is not good.

Farmer's Market: Pretty sure everyone else is underrating this. An "average play" of a Farmer's Market gives you 2 coin, 1 buy, 1 vp, and trashes 1/5th of a farmer's market from your deck. Of course this is true in the sense that the average household has 2.1 cards, but still ... compare Monument, Woodcutter.

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile

The average play of monument is 2 coins, 1 vp...

weety4

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +50
    • View Profile

Sauna/Avanto: These cards are so good when you have most of them, but Sauna itself is not the best, and wasting gains to open up the Avantos for your opponent is not good.

Farmer's Market: Pretty sure everyone else is underrating this. An "average play" of a Farmer's Market gives you 2 coin, 1 buy, 1 vp, and trashes 1/5th of a farmer's market from your deck. Of course this is true in the sense that the average household has 2.1 cards, but still ... compare Monument, Woodcutter.
Farmer's Market provides on average only 4/5 VP tokens. But I nonetheless totally agree, this is in general better than either Woodcutter or Monument. The only situation in which you might prefer Monument is in the presence of KC or with plenty of extra Buys around.
Ignoring power levels, it is of course also more interesting to play than these vanilla cards due to the Gathering mechanism.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2017, 05:59:51 am by weety4 »

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3458
    • View Profile
+1

The +Buy is the important part, especially to replace your soon to be trashed Farmer's Market.

This is extremely wrong. Sauna is a top tier trasher and a top 10 $4 cost, at least. Your deck basically just thins itself.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2017, 08:11:02 am by Chris is me »
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
+1

The +Buy is the important part, especially to replace your soon to be trashed Farmer's Market.

Well, you also need coins to replace the soon to be trashed Farmers' Market. It's not really a very useful card for early game economy, unlike Monument.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile

Sadly, I still have not played with too many Empires cards. I did get to see a game demonstrating that Triumphal Arch can really boost strategies going for spammable potion cards like Apothecary and Alchemist in games with like one other cantrip. Note that it only counts Action cards.

ehunt

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ehunt
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile

This is extremely wrong. Sauna is a top tier trasher and a top 10 $4 cost, at least. Your deck basically just thins itself.

hmm, I don't agree. A true cantrip trasher would indeed be a top 10 $4 cost, but Sauna has to be lined up with Silver to trash.

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
    • View Profile

hmm, I don't agree. A true cantrip trasher would indeed be a top 10 $4 cost, but Sauna has to be lined up with Silver to trash.
Yeah and to guarantee that you'd need thinning and really good draw, though I have no clue where you'd get either of those...

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama

True, but you probably want to buy a bunch of Silvers anyway for early economy, and when you have multiple Saunas and multiple Silvers, it's not that difficult to line some of them up and sometimes you can even line multiple Saunas with multiple Silvers which is better than a cantrip trasher.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
  • Respect: +4085
    • View Profile
+4

I will vote Sauna as #1 $4 next year. Sauna/Avanto is everything you want for engine (only +Buy missing) and you can add whatever you want to it (similar to Herald but better) and even if you can't trash right away you can if you draw your deck (which is not hard) trash like all your bad cards in one turn. If you compare Sauna to Remake, Sauna is better in like every way. The only weakness are discard attacks because will have trouble getting the Saunas and Avantos fast enough. I predict Sauna/Silver being a standard opening in the majority of the games similar to Urchin/Urchin.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
+2

Sauna/Avanto is everything you want for engine (only +Buy missing)

It's also missing payload.  You'll need more Treasures, or some decent terminal Actions.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Qvist

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
+3

You can still add Gold which you can't easily do with Herald for example. If you compare Sauna/Avanto to Herald, Herald looks just way worse.

aku_chi

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: aku chi
  • Respect: +1436
    • View Profile
+3

I believe Sauna is being overhyped.  Yes, Sauna is very good.  With Avanto, it is a full engine enabler in and of itself.  It's pretty fast.  You usually want to get as many Saunas and Avantos as you can.  But there are two classes of exceptions:
  • Superior engine enablers.  Sauna + Avanto provide very good trashing and draw, and some action splitting, but they aren't top in class.  If there are stronger enablers on the board, Sauna is ignorable.  Consider a kingdom with Chapel, Fishing Village, and Wharf.  Ignoring Sauna is the correct play.  In a two-player game, it takes a long while for a single player to go through the Sauna pile, pick up a Silver or two and some Avantos.  If there is strong trashing, draw, and action splitting, ignoring Sauna is correct.  If there is strong trashing, it's usually incorrect to open Sauna.  Getting thin faster while picking up a couple Sauna will be better.  If there is also strong action splitting, you might not need any Saunas at all.  If your opponent grabs them, now you can try to win the Avanto split.
  • Weak payload.  If the kingdom payload is weak (especially if there are no attacks, no additional gains, and no Alt VP), Sauna + Avanto can be beaten by a faster money strategy.  If your opponent isn't contesting the Saunas, it will take at least 10 buys before you're ready to Province (Sauna x5, Avanto x3, Silver, Gold).  5 Provinces by turn 15 is decent, but it can be beaten by numerous fast money strategies (who only need 4 Provinces and an Estate by turn 14/15).  The fastest money strategies can also compete even if the payload is mediocre.  Gear BM will beat Sauna + Avanto w +buy, for instance.  Jack BM will beat Sauna + Avanto w handsize attack.  With empires, kingdoms with weak payload are rare, but they exist.
I will vote Sauna as #1 $4 next year. Sauna/Avanto is everything you want for engine (only +Buy missing) and you can add whatever you want to it (similar to Herald but better) and even if you can't trash right away you can if you draw your deck (which is not hard) trash like all your bad cards in one turn.
I agree that Sauna is better than Herald.  But I think Herald was significantly overrated these past two years.  I think Sauna is a top 10 $4 card.  I think its power level is pretty similar to Magpie.  When compared with Magpie, Sauna is ignorable on slightly more kingdoms, but winning the split is slightly more impactful.

If you compare Sauna to Remake, Sauna is better in like every way.
This is absurd.  Remake and Sauna are totally different and Remake has obvious advantages (as does Sauna).  This kind of statement doesn't even deserve a serious rebuttal.

I predict Sauna/Silver being a standard opening in the majority of the games similar to Urchin/Urchin.
I'm not so sure Sauna + Silver is the best way to open on boards where you want Saunas.  There's a ~38% of collision with a Silver + Sauna opening.  And if they don't collide, Sauna was literally worthless on that shuffle.  I think Silver + good terminal (like Swindler, Black Market, Steward, or Remake) is going to be superior to Sauna + Silver generally.  You can grab one or two Saunas on turns 3+4 with a Silver + good terminal opening.  If there are no action splitters on the board, it could be important enough to win the Sauna split 3/2 that you open Sauna + Silver and try to grab two more Saunas by turn 4.  Maybe.  If you're only using the Saunas for trashing and draw (with Avanto), having two Saunas is sufficient.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2017, 03:43:26 pm by aku_chi »

Qvist

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
+3

• Superior engine enablers.  Sauna + Avanto provide very good trashing and draw, and some action splitting, but they aren't top in class.  If there are stronger enablers on the board, Sauna is ignorable.  Consider a kingdom with Chapel, Fishing Village, and Wharf.  Ignoring Sauna is the correct play.  In a two-player game, it takes a long while for a single player to go through the Sauna pile, pick up a Silver or two and some Avantos.  If there is strong trashing, draw, and action splitting, ignoring Sauna is correct.  If there is strong trashing, it's usually incorrect to open Sauna.  Getting thin faster while picking up a couple Sauna will be better.  If there is also strong action splitting, you might not need any Saunas at all.  If your opponent grabs them, now you can try to win the Avanto split.
Sure, if Chapel is on the board I probably might go for Chapel instead of Sauna for trashing a lot of times, but Chapel is a very high bar to beat. And I can even see skipping Chapel depending how the engine you're building looks.

• Weak payload.  If the kingdom payload is weak (especially if there are no attacks, no additional gains, and no Alt VP), Sauna + Avanto can be beaten by a faster money strategy.  If your opponent isn't contesting the Saunas, it will take at least 10 buys before you're ready to Province (Sauna x5, Avanto x3, Silver, Gold).  5 Provinces by turn 15 is decent, but it can be beaten by numerous fast money strategies (who only need 4 Provinces and an Estate by turn 14/15).  The fastest money strategies can also compete even if the payload is mediocre.  Gear BM will beat Sauna + Avanto w +buy, for instance.  Jack BM will beat Sauna + Avanto w handsize attack.  With empires, kingdoms with weak payload are rare, but they exist.
Well, that has nothing to do with Sauna/Avanto, but more with engines in general. If the payload is weak and the money option strong, why are you building a engine?

If you compare Sauna to Remake, Sauna is better in like every way.
This is absurd.  Remake and Sauna are totally different and Remake has obvious advantages (as does Sauna).  This kind of statement doesn't even deserve a serious rebuttal.
Well you get Remake mostly for the trashing when you want to build an engine. But on the turns you play Remake you mostly can't afford anything unless the engine piece is really cheap. Remake has of course the advantage to turn Estates into engine pieces or Silver but I would argue on boards with both building an engine with Sauna should be faster than building one with Remake as Sauna can afford something good each turn and trash on the way or in one good turn. I don't think I have played one with both yet, so this of course mostly guessing.

I predict Sauna/Silver being a standard opening in the majority of the games similar to Urchin/Urchin.
I'm not so sure Sauna + Silver is the best way to open on boards where you want Saunas.  There's a ~38% of collision with a Silver + Sauna opening.  And if they don't collide, Sauna was literally worthless on that shuffle.  I think Silver + good terminal (like Swindler, Black Market, Steward, or Remake) is going to be superior to Sauna + Silver generally.  You can grab one or two Saunas on turns 3+4 with a Silver + good terminal opening.  If there are no action splitters on the board, it could be important enough to win the Sauna split 3/2 that you open Sauna + Silver and try to grab two more Saunas by turn 4.  Maybe.  If you're only using the Saunas for trashing and draw (with Avanto), having two Saunas is sufficient.
That's the thing the collision would be of course nice, but is not necessary as you can trash multiple cards just later. Of course Sauna is only a cantrip if they don't collide, but if you open Urchin/Urchin and they don't collide it's the same but worse, still it's a standard opening as you can just buy more Urchins and they will collide eventually. The big thing with Sauna as well is that there are only 5. If you don't open with one you will probably lose the split as Sauna is not expensive to afford and I think you underestimate how important it is to have 3 Saunas. If there's another village on the board, it's of course less important, but having an extra Sauna means you need less villages and it might still happen to you that you have to play an Avanto for your first action, then having more Saunas is quite important. What's the point in opening Steward/Silver on a Sauna board. You don't need the Steward. The only terminal that comes to my mind opening on a Sauna board would be Militia as the attack quite hurts the Sauna player. Swindler is of course a good option as well, but I'm not that convinced on that. With Black Market I'm pretty sure it's better to get it later as all you want for a while is Sauna and Avanto and if there's +Buy and good payload on the board already not sure if I want a Black Market at all.

allanfieldhouse

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +374
    • View Profile

You both make good points...sounds like we need a Sauna cage match!

Although...when the person claiming it's not that good still thinks it's a top-10 $4 card, we're really not arguing over much. Maybe a Sauna vs Remake cage match?

dedicateddan

• 2017 Dominion Online Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: dan brooks
  • Respect: +1058
    • View Profile
+3

Charm: Useful if you need non-terminal +buy

Gladiator/Fortune: Fortune is great and the +buy really helps. Helps spike decks from 20 up to 40. Be ready for a very big endgame.

City Quarter: Like scrying pool, it scales well with the number you have and you generally want to go for it. Unlike scrying pool, you want to delay these until you have a bunch of actions, since it can be a dead cards in copper/estate hands.

Engineer: Stronger than it looks. Buy it on turn 2 with debt and trash it early.

Capital: Good with crown, good in platinum games, and good if you need +buy. In a typical engine, I'd skip this.

Royal Blacksmith: The drawback is pretty restrictive. If you can work around it, you have some very powerful terminal draw.

Encampment/Plunder: Encampment is somewhere between expedition and lost city and plunder is a non-terminal monument. It's often worth it to thin early and pick up gold/encampments before moving in on the plunders. With that set up, there's a natural transition to provinces.

Catapult/Rocks: Like ambassador, catapult represents a pretty powerful attack. Handsize reduction + junking can trip up a lot of decks. Unlike ambassador, catapult takes a while to get going and requires some support. Rocks plays quite well in catapult games, flooding silver into the top of your deck and your hand.

Castles: Generally more powerful than provinces. Most of the early ones generate coins, so treat this as VP/treasure split cards. If you'd go for Harem early, go for castles early. Otherwise, treat them as engine payload. Some of the castles actually improve your deck, so pick them up a little early than you might expect at first.

Sacrifice: Flexible. A bishop on estates or a lost city trashing an action.

Temple: Leads to temple openings, awkward trashes, and then later buying a useless temple for the VP tokens. It trashes multiple cards, so you often have to open with it, but it's often felt clunky to me.

Settlers/Bustling Village: Settlers gets much, much better if there's a way to discard copper (dungeon/warehouse). The +3 actions on busting village are pretty good even without the settlers interaction.

Patrician/Emporium: Solid roleplayers.

Sauna/Avanto: A pretty strong engine in a can. Sauna thins, avanto draws, and chaining them together provides +action. Uncontested, it can take a while to get through the Saunas.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.29 seconds with 20 queries.