Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11  All

Author Topic: What is the worst card in Dominion?  (Read 122086 times)

pingpongsam

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: pingpongsam
  • Respect: +777
    • View Profile
Re: What is the worst card in Dominion?
« Reply #225 on: November 13, 2014, 12:27:26 pm »
+3

terminal silvers for 3$ or 4$ must stay terminal

Conspirator disagrees.
You are the brashest scum player on f.ds.

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: November 13, 2014, 12:36:34 pm »
+4

Conspirator's only additional benefit, aside from being a terminal Silver, is that it sometimes isn't terminal.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: November 13, 2014, 01:04:48 pm »
+2

I voted Chancellor because I've never bothered to buy it and anyone who I've played who bought it summarily lost. I think it could be fixed with a +1 Action.
Chancellor-stash is an elite two card combo, usually the best strategy whenever they appear in the same kingdom.

Honestly, even just a terminal silver with no other ability would be better than scout. At least you can use it in double tactician decks, king it and throne it.
I think Duchess is usually better than Scout.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

ehunt

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ehunt
  • Respect: +1855
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: November 15, 2014, 09:26:07 pm »
+2

too many cooks.... too many cooks

chancellor is really nice to have around... i often find that when i pick one up (which is rare but occurs when there's no other terminal i want) i use it more than i expected to. one time it's particularly useful is in a deck that you might call a semi-engine, e.g., a bunch of labs and cantrips but no heavy trashing. the point is that in these decks you sometimes reach the bottom of your deck during a good turn with a lab in hand. ordinarily you cant afford to play the lab and create a crap reshuffle that ruins the next two turns. when chancellor is your terminal, this is no problem.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: November 15, 2014, 09:42:42 pm »

too many cooks.... too many cooks

And now I've finally watched that, and I'm holding you responsible.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Amac

• Baron
  • Respect: +25
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: November 16, 2014, 02:08:43 am »

Thief in 2P has even less use than Scout. Scout at least does anything nice for your deck instead of clearing out your opponents coppers. (Although both are, most of the time, inferior to Silver) Even Transmute, one of the slowest cards in the entire game, has it's uses, especially with more Alchemy cards on the board. Thief isn't even a good buy in base only games >99% of the time. Sometimes against Chapeled decks it's okay, but even that are rare cases.

In games with more players, Thief becomes better and Scout will replace Thief. I also think Counting House is... pretty bad at 5, but there are situations it can shine at least.

And I think Adventurer is okay. Not "I will but it many times over gold"-okay, but in a deck with much junk it's pretty nice. Providing you can get up to 6 with much junk anyway.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #231 on: November 16, 2014, 07:10:37 am »

Thief in 2P has even less use than Scout. Scout at least does anything nice for your deck instead of clearing out your opponents coppers. (Although both are, most of the time, inferior to Silver) Even Transmute, one of the slowest cards in the entire game, has it's uses, especially with more Alchemy cards on the board. Thief isn't even a good buy in base only games >99% of the time. Sometimes against Chapeled decks it's okay, but even that are rare cases.

Scout does something nice for your deck, but it practically never does anything nice enough to justify losing one card in your hand or buying the card for $4. Thief usually just helps your opponents, but at least there are situations where it's actually a card that you want to buy.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5344
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: November 16, 2014, 09:26:50 am »

Just yesterday i won a Colony game with Counting Houses and Princed Storeroom / Princed Plaza. Prince is an awesome combo-enabler.

ThaddeusB

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +140
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: November 18, 2014, 12:36:00 pm »

Thief remains the worst in my opinion.  Scout does Ok in alt VP games and a few other situations. You probably need a way to gain out for free to make it worth getting, but at least is worth getting. Thief is very rarely worth getting even for free. Ttansmute's only problem, albeit a big one, is the strange cost that basically means you can only consider it when there is another potion cost card. Nothing else even deserves to be in the same conversation as those 3.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3188
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: November 18, 2014, 03:13:12 pm »
+1

you basically never gain cards for free in dominion, therefore it doesn't matter how good scout does if you get him for free. If that was what mattered, then Scout >> Thief for sure. But it's not.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: November 18, 2014, 03:52:27 pm »
+1

Thief remains the worst in my opinion.  Scout does Ok in alt VP games and a few other situations. You probably need a way to gain out for free to make it worth getting, but at least is worth getting. Thief is very rarely worth getting even for free. Ttansmute's only problem, albeit a big one, is the strange cost that basically means you can only consider it when there is another potion cost card. Nothing else even deserves to be in the same conversation as those 3.

Mostly agreed, although I think an argument could be made for Adventurer.

you basically never gain cards for free in dominion, therefore it doesn't matter how good scout does if you get him for free. If that was what mattered, then Scout >> Thief for sure. But it's not.

I think it's reasonable to say that Scout becomes a better value proposition as $4 cards become more accessible e.g. when Ironworks is on the board. Even in those cases, it's rare for Scout to really help you much. It has to have so many factors in its favor to be worthwhile.

florrat

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: florrat
  • Respect: +748
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: November 18, 2014, 07:15:09 pm »
+1

I voted Chancellor because I've never bothered to buy it and anyone who I've played who bought it summarily lost. I think it could be fixed with a +1 Action.
Chancellor-stash is an elite two card combo, usually the best strategy whenever they appear in the same kingdom.
Is Chancellor-Stash that good? I thought it was mediocre, only viable on reasonably weak boards.
Scavenger-Stash on the other hand is pretty strong.

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3676
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: June 12, 2016, 02:16:39 pm »

Needs to be updated to include Raid. But wait, Seprix! Raid isn't a card! You're right. But we still need to include Raid as a community.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4434
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: June 12, 2016, 02:57:09 pm »
+9

Needs to be updated to include Raid. But wait, Seprix! Raid isn't a card! You're right. But we still need to include Raid as a community.

Raid isn't a community either.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: June 12, 2016, 05:13:12 pm »
+4

Raid is fine, what are you talking about, they can't all be the best Event ever.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #240 on: June 12, 2016, 06:25:35 pm »

Raid is fine, what are you talking about, they can't all be the best Event ever.

But there can be one that is the worst. I'm not sure it's Raid. I haven't played with any of the Empires Events either.

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: June 12, 2016, 11:05:54 pm »
+11

have you literally ever bought raid yet

like at a certain point this gets worse than Roadrunner's scout fetish
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: June 13, 2016, 01:49:47 am »

Raid is actually okay, well, at least better than the worst Dominion cards. It works in, well, BM and Feodum games. Or, at least, those are the only types of games I've bought it in. I mean, yah, BMish cards usually aren't great, but they aren't the worst cards either.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: June 13, 2016, 01:59:04 am »

I think that Silver flooding is just not "cool"/fun, so people will tend to avoid trying it, even when it would be the right choice.

I still would like to have a Silver flood strategy article, by the way, but... how do Raid, Masterpiece and Delve compare to each other? Can you add Trader to that category? Does Storyteller make you want to go the Silver flood way (probably not)? Am I forgetting any other card?
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: June 13, 2016, 03:57:16 am »

I think that Silver flooding is just not "cool"/fun, so people will tend to avoid trying it, even when it would be the right choice.

I still would like to have a Silver flood strategy article, by the way, but... how do Raid, Masterpiece and Delve compare to each other? Can you add Trader to that category? Does Storyteller make you want to go the Silver flood way (probably not)? Am I forgetting any other card?

Conquest may be worth considering.  Maybe lesser Silver gainers like Bureaucrat, JoaT, Explorer.

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Roadrunner7672
  • Forum Mafia Record: 18-33-2
  • Respect: +1346
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: June 13, 2016, 06:20:28 am »
+1

/tag
Oh God someone delete this before Roadrunner sees it.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: June 13, 2016, 11:34:22 am »

If the frequency of Scrying Pool keeps going down as new sets are released and no new Scout combos are added Scout is gonna start to win these.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: June 13, 2016, 07:34:42 pm »

I will never buy Raid. Raid is the worst card ever.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5344
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: June 13, 2016, 08:47:58 pm »
+1

I will never buy Raid. Raid is the worst card ever.

Your banner (showing a red-nosed, confused guy raising his hands in perplexity) renders me entirely incapable of taking your rant serious. I like it.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2016, 08:49:02 pm by Asper »

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: June 13, 2016, 08:48:37 pm »

Your banner renders me entirely incapable of taking your rambling serious. I like it.

My banner is that bad?
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11  All

Page created in 0.162 seconds with 21 queries.