Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11  All

Author Topic: What is the worst card in Dominion?  (Read 122148 times)

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3190
    • View Profile
Re: What is the worst card in Dominion?
« Reply #200 on: April 18, 2014, 10:45:23 pm »
+1

I have to take back my original statement... scout is worse than transmute. the situations in which you draw your potion without $3 and can't get a familiar (or the curses are already out) and take a curse trasher with no benefit outweight the ones in which half of your deck is green.

and sometimes its not super terrible in slogs when you have the potion anyway

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3388
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: April 18, 2014, 10:51:28 pm »

Funny thing... this poll is old enough that I actually voted for Transmute.

Scout of course is #1, followed by Adventurer and Harvest. Then I would say Pirate Ship, Thief, and THEN Transmute, I guess.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: April 19, 2014, 12:45:23 am »
+1

Scout of course is #1, followed by Adventurer and Harvest. Then I would say Pirate Ship, Thief, and THEN Transmute, I guess.

Pirate Ship is definitely better than Thief.  Thief is usually ignorable, but Pirate Ship can be used to good effect sometimes.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12848
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #203 on: April 19, 2014, 01:28:26 am »

Pirate Ship is definitely better than Thief.  Thief is usually ignorable, but Pirate Ship can be used to good effect sometimes.
Pirate Ship is usually ignorable, too. But when you need Thief or Pirate Ship, Pirate Ship does what you want the card to do without adding extra stop cards to your deck.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: April 19, 2014, 08:15:14 pm »

the fact that develop is on this list is kinda ridiculous

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: April 19, 2014, 08:37:21 pm »

the fact that develop is on this list is kinda ridiculous

Yeah, people underrated Develop for a long time. I think we still underrate topdecking in general.

michaeljb

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: michaeljb
  • Respect: +2113
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: April 19, 2014, 08:40:50 pm »

Plus this poll was created only a few months after Hinterlands was released, so it was still pretty new territory.

I voted for Develop way back then, but would definitely change my vote to Scout if the poll was still open. And no way is Contraband the worst, it can be pretty great if you have multiple $5+ engine pieces you want to buy, which I think is way more common than wanting Scout.
🚂 Give 18xx games a chance 🚂

ehunt

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ehunt
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: April 20, 2014, 06:38:14 pm »
+1

i am the thread creator and it is olllld.... develop was viewed as a bad card for quite a while.  i don't remember if i put it by request or by default!

@robz pirate ship is not good but is better than transmute

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: April 20, 2014, 08:43:46 pm »

pirate ship is not good but is better than transmute

I've said this a bunch of other places, but I'll say it here, too. Transmute (and Philosopher's Stone) is a good card as long as you have other things to spend your Potion(s) on. Turning Estate into Gold is usually great. Turning Actions into Duchies in the late game can also be powerful. Turning Coppers into Transmutes is much less awesome (but at least occasionally desirable e.g. Scrying Pool and Vineyard), but two out of three ain't bad.

The problem is that in order to get a Transmute, you're giving up a key early buy in order to get a card that you'll only use once, and which will then take up space in your deck for the rest of the game (unless you Transmute it, etc.). If you want the Potion anyway, Transmute is a great pickup, especially if you're buying it with an extra buy (so that you don't waste your Coins that turn).

So yeah, Transmute over Pirate Ship for anybody who plays with more than one Alchemy card at a time.

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: April 24, 2014, 12:26:54 am »

I would've voted for Harvest if it was on the list.  Intrigue was my first Dominion set, so, having played quite often with Harem, Nobles, and Great Hall, I'm a little partial to Scout (as in, I like to think it's slightly less useless than everyone else seems to think).

c4master

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +56
    • View Profile
« Reply #210 on: April 24, 2014, 11:47:37 am »

I would've voted for Harvest if it was on the list.  Intrigue was my first Dominion set, so, having played quite often with Harem, Nobles, and Great Hall, I'm a little partial to Scout (as in, I like to think it's slightly less useless than everyone else seems to think).

There should be more dual-typed VCs - and they should be worth more than 1VP. That's the only salvation to Scout, probably.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: April 24, 2014, 03:02:01 pm »
+1

There should be more dual-typed VCs - and they should be worth more than 1VP. That's the only salvation to Scout, probably.

Even then, it's pretty meaningless unless those cards make up a huge portion of your engine. Your deck needs to be at least 25% VP cards for scout to be a cantrip on average.

c4master

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +56
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: April 25, 2014, 07:57:08 am »
+1

Correct.

That's why Scout should be "Cantrip + Look at 3 cards and take all the green ones".

brokoli

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +786
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: April 25, 2014, 09:45:54 am »

I voted for transmute first time. Now I would change for scout.
For a long time, I thought scout at least didn't hurt your hand, because it could be cantrip and the reordering can be useful. Now, I think it just hurts a lot, and even in the situations where it may be a cantrip, there is no reason to take scout, because reordering is not good enough. I still think transmute is terrible, though, and at best you can use it as a curse trasher in a decently good engine (which is quite rare since it's not very likely to build a good engine in games with curses and no trashing), or as a desperate way to gain duchies late-game.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: April 25, 2014, 10:46:47 am »

I voted for transmute first time. Now I would change for scout.
For a long time, I thought scout at least didn't hurt your hand, because it could be cantrip and the reordering can be useful. Now, I think it just hurts a lot, and even in the situations where it may be a cantrip, there is no reason to take scout, because reordering is not good enough. I still think transmute is terrible, though, and at best you can use it as a curse trasher in a decently good engine (which is quite rare since it's not very likely to build a good engine in games with curses and no trashing), or as a desperate way to gain duchies late-game.

Transmute is bought when you miss getting another Potion card. When you do get it it's very good, but not good enough to go out of your way to get it.

Every Scout discussion I always mention the one game where Scout made my Market+Cantrip+Harem engine work, and that was the only time it ever helped and Warehouse probably would have been a better choice. Although it draw me 3 Harems more than once. Maybe I was playing against and idiot?

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5345
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: November 10, 2014, 01:57:55 pm »
+2

Pirate Ship is nice in games with 3 and more players, especially if there are Colonies. Add Haven or some other support and it's pretty neat.

Of course nobody here thinks that 3 or more players can play Dominion at the same time.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: November 10, 2014, 02:09:17 pm »

Pirate Ship is nice in games with 3 and more players, especially if there are Colonies. Add Haven or some other support and it's pretty neat.

Of course nobody here thinks that 3 or more players can play Dominion at the same time.

I think this would only be the case if at least two players go for PS. It is still a really slow terminal gold that takes turns to get going and usually you are just trashing your opponents coppers. I mean, maybe if people thin their decks a lot, you might be hurting their economy. I suppose in Colony games with three or more players, it might be viable, but still the card is pretty awful 99% of the time.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12848
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #217 on: November 10, 2014, 02:11:37 pm »
+14

Of course 3 or more players can play Dominion at the same time. Nothing's preventing you from playing a game of Dominion against someone while I'm playing another game against someone else!
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2706
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: November 10, 2014, 03:07:13 pm »

I think this would only be the case if at least two players go for PS. It is still a really slow terminal gold that takes turns to get going and usually you are just trashing your opponents coppers. I mean, maybe if people thin their decks a lot, you might be hurting their economy. I suppose in Colony games with three or more players, it might be viable, but still the card is pretty awful 99% of the time.

Before I knew any better, I had a three player game where me and another opponent went PS while the last went for an engine, and he won while both of us were struggling.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

WilsonWriter

• Salvager
  • Shuffle iT Username: storyteller
  • Respect: +5
    • View Profile
    • WilsonWriter.com
« Reply #219 on: November 13, 2014, 09:55:16 am »

Scout is still the worst to me. I don't even play with Transmute. We revamped the Transmute card into Transmutation, made it cost 4 (no Potion needed), and it made it an immediately viable option on the first turn.

As for Chancellor, I have had some good wins with it, even though I believe it's weak in general. In a game where Golds are particularly valuable, such as in gaining a Grand Market, I've opened with Chancellor/Silver. Regularly, on turn three, I can buy a Gold and shuffle it back in, so that on turn four I'm buying another Gold and shuffling it in. By turn five, I'm ready to buy just about anything on the board. Of course, that third turn sometimes gives you only a Chancellor and two coppers, in which case you're often in a weaker position.

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: November 13, 2014, 10:42:48 am »

Before I knew any better, I had a three player game where me and another opponent went PS while the last went for an engine, and he won while both of us were struggling.

I'm not saying Pirate Ship is automatically the best choice in a 3 player game. Any engine that can produce virtual money has an advantage over PS. Not every board offers that, though.

pingpongsam

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: pingpongsam
  • Respect: +777
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: November 13, 2014, 11:02:28 am »

I voted Chancellor because I've never bothered to buy it and anyone who I've played who bought it summarily lost. I think it could be fixed with a +1 Action.
You are the brashest scum player on f.ds.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: November 13, 2014, 11:25:51 am »
+3

I voted Chancellor because I've never bothered to buy it and anyone who I've played who bought it summarily lost. I think it could be fixed with a +1 Action.

absolutely not, because then it'd be almost always superior to silver. terminal silvers for 3$ or 4$ must stay terminal

plus, chancellor right now is nowhere near as weak as scout.

really, the only card that I see as a rival is adventurer.

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: November 13, 2014, 11:30:29 am »
+5

Chancellor is fine. It's okay if there are no other terminals you want to buy. Potion cards often profit from it, for example.

Also what Ninjaspawn said.

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Eevee
  • A wild Eevee appears!
  • Respect: +867
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: November 13, 2014, 11:32:34 am »

Chancellor-stash is an elite two card combo, usually the best strategy whenever they appear in the same kingdom.

Honestly, even just a terminal silver with no other ability would be better than scout. At least you can use it in double tactician decks, king it and throne it.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2014, 11:34:21 am by Eevee »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11  All

Page created in 0.142 seconds with 21 queries.