Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Dominion: Metallurgy (Fan expansion based on basic treasures)  (Read 2600 times)

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2129
    • View Profile
Dominion: Metallurgy (Fan expansion based on basic treasures)
« on: January 31, 2017, 06:28:14 am »
+2

A small expansion based on cards that interact with the basic treasures, including cards that can take their place.

There are cards in this set with the types "Copper", "Silver" and "Gold". If a card specifically refers to one (eg Gain a Silver on Bureaucrat or Reveal a Gold on Encampment) then you choose whether that refers to card with that name, or a card with that type.

Copper:

Silver:

Gold

Multiple:

Rules Clarifications:
- You still start the game with 7 Coppers (ie Treasure that produces $1)
- You can play Bronze Idol with Florist. Playing it has no effect.
- If an attack like Noble Brigand or Mountebank makes you gain a Copper, the player being attacked chooses which Copper to gain.
- If a pile of Copper/Silver/Gold type cards is empty, and you're instructed to gain a Copper/Silver/Gold, you can't choose the empty pile to gain nothing.
- If the first time you play a Silver typed card is after playing a Merchant, you get +$1. If you played one before you play Merchants, then you don't.
- Noble Brigand can steal Silver and Gold typed cards. Now Noble Brigand can both trash cards and give out copper at the same time.
- You lose VP for having Silver and Gold typed cards in games with Bandit Fort, gain VP for having sets of 3 in games with Palace etc.
- In games with Aqueduct, you put 8VP on the Silver and Gold typed cards, but there's no way to take them except...
- In games with both Defiled Shrine and Aqueduct, you put 10VP on the Silver and Gold typed Action cards that moves to the Curse pile when you gain them.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2017, 07:41:05 am by NoMoreFun »

weety4

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +50
    • View Profile
Re: Dominion: Metallurgy (Fan expansion based on basic treasures)
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2017, 07:10:13 am »

Looks like a cool idea.

Bronzer seems quite weak. When there are no ALT-Coppers which you might actually want in the Kingdom it is mostly a terminal Silver.
Silverware in a hand of 5 seems like a reverse Masquerade.
Handgaining a Silver is probably OK at 3 but Cutler might be too strong as you could gain more than just one Silver.
Czar could probably simply discard the Silver.
Banker seems a bit boring compared to Courtier.
Of course extra options aren't bad but I don't get why Golden Retriever includes the trash option. Why, ignoring bordercases like having an early Duchy in your deck due to Swindler, would you ever want to trash a card that costs 3 or more?
I like Diggins but I don't think that you often want to cantrip-ify a Silver. So perhaps making Silver a Village and Gold a Lab might be an idea to moderate the harsh difference between discarding Silver and Gold.

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2017, 07:32:54 am »

Silverware in a hand of 5 seems like a reverse Masquerade.
It's in a similar ballpark. There's a way to trash no cards and draw 2 cards (discard, "trash", draw) and a way to draw 2 cards and trash 1 (draw, discard, trash), but both involve discarding. Trash, discard, draw lets you draw 3 new cards and is probably the strongest option; this was a base set outtake that cost $4. I don't think you're that much better off opening with 2 but maybe it should cost $4.

Handgaining a Silver is probably OK at 3 but Cutler might be too strong as you could gain more than just one Silver.
That's the point of the card and the reason for the below the line text (if you gain 4 silvers with it you can't get a province). On it's own you have to discard a treasure and discarding a copper is essentially "+$1, Gain a Silver" which isn't strong enough on it's own for $2 (Squire).
Czar could probably simply discard the Silver.
If it did then you could draw your deck except for a Silver, and play Pawn or a peddler variant indefinitely for infinite $. Setting aside is also good for keeping track of how many times you played a Duration.
Banker seems a bit boring compared to Courtier.
They're completely different cards? I came up with Banker thinking of a Scavenger/Harbinger variant that can do cool combos more easily but doesn't whiff like Harbinger does quite often.
Of course extra options aren't bad but I don't get why Golden Retriever includes the trash option. Why, ignoring bordercases like having an early Duchy in your deck due to Swindler, would you ever want to trash a card that costs 3 or more?
Rats, Fortress, other "when trash", early game $3s that have outlived their usefulness. It really didn't hurt to include the option.
I like Diggings but I don't think that you often want to cantrip-ify a Silver. So perhaps making Silver a Village and Gold a Lab might be an idea to moderate the harsh difference between discarding Silver and Gold.
Because it doesn't cost an Action to discard the Silver, tt's equivalent to turning Silver into a Village (and the Gold option is equivalent to +2 Cards, +3 Actions).
« Last Edit: January 31, 2017, 07:49:47 am by NoMoreFun »

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1684
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2017, 12:09:50 am »

I like this idea

I remember Silverware as Labyrinth (that was your card, wasn't it? Or maybe they're very similar by coincidence...), which is a nice trasher.

Bronzer seems quite weak. When there are no ALT-Coppers which you might actually want in the Kingdom it is mostly a terminal Silver.
I don't think Bronzer is weak. I think weety missed the option of getting $4 coin at the cost of gaining a copper. That's not bad for $4.

I especially like Czar and Silviculturist (except the name is pretty weird...)

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2017, 04:40:42 am »
+1

I remember Silverware as Labyrinth (that was your card, wasn't it? Or maybe they're very similar by coincidence...), which is a nice trasher.

Yes Labyrinth was mine. A lot of these are retooled pandemonium ideas. Golden Retriever was Archer; I removed the attack because Spy type attacks have fallen out of favour. Silviculturist was "Serf"/"Plantation"; an action/victory card that digs for Victory cards (so it either draws itself or junk). Itself, Junk, or Silver seemed interesting too.

weety4

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +50
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2017, 04:30:10 am »

I don't think Bronzer is weak. I think weety missed the option of getting $4 coin at the cost of gaining a copper. That's not bad for $4.
[/quote]
It is not particularly good either.

Terminal payload has become stronger since the days of Harvest; nowadays a mere terminal Gold would be too weak for 5$ due to Legionary and Courtier. It is probably a bit too strong for 4$ though.

Bronzer is either a terminal Silver which never makes sense at 4$ and if you handgain the Copper it is a terminal Gold with an advantage as well as a disadvantage. I think that the self-junking is more of a liability than an asset (suppose that an opponent plays Bishop: more often than not you'd rather trash a Copper than have one more Coin for your current turn).

The reaction part might make up for that though.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.074 seconds with 20 queries.