Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: D&D for newbies?  (Read 1121 times)

LaLight

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: LaLight
  • Because I'm a potato
    • View Profile
D&D for newbies?
« on: January 30, 2017, 04:05:05 pm »

Hey guys.

Me and my gf always wanted to try to play some D&D, though we don't have any experience at all. And we do want to play some via voice/video once in a week for example, not just texting about stuff.

Does anyone, by chance, know where we can find some people/community to join for such kind of stuff? Googling didn't help much actually, most sites are for hardcore players mostly.
Wins: 15, 10
Losses: 11, 5, 1
Draws: 1
MVPs: 4
Mod/Co-mod: 18

I always have a limited access to forum on weekends.

Dylan32

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: Dylan32
    • View Profile
Re: D&D for newbies?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2017, 04:11:16 pm »

I play and have some experience DMing Pathfinder (essentially DnD 3.something rules). I've been looking into creating a game on roll20.net. Accounts there are free and it seems fairly intuitive to use. There are people that host public games on there that you could try to join or you could create a private game on there.
Forum Mafia Record - Wins: 14 - NM9, M97, RMM41, M99, M102, M104, M119, M126, RMM56, M133, M134, RMM58, RMM59, RMM61, RMM60; Losses 15 - RMM37, M89, M94, M95, M96, M100, RMM47 M109, M110, M120, M127, M129, M131, M132, M136; MVPs: 1 - NM9

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2017, 02:34:01 am »

Have you ever played any other TTRPGs? Because if you just want to get into TTRPGs in general and not necessarily into the lore of D&D specifically, I would recommend a BRP based game such as RuneQuest or Call of Cthulhu instead of D&D since I think that it's a vastly more realistic system (and thusly lends itself to actual roleplaying more naturally) and not at all more difficult to learn.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

IDontPlayThisGame

• Baron
  • Shuffle iT Username: IDontPlayThisGame
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2017, 03:43:04 pm »

Have you ever played any other TTRPGs? Because if you just want to get into TTRPGs in general and not necessarily into the lore of D&D specifically, I would recommend a BRP based game such as RuneQuest or Call of Cthulhu instead of D&D since I think that it's a vastly more realistic system (and thusly lends itself to actual roleplaying more naturally) and not at all more difficult to learn.

Have you played any World of Darkness settings? I've skimmed over the rules and that's about it.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2017, 03:59:42 pm »

Have you played any World of Darkness settings? I've skimmed over the rules and that's about it.

I haven't really even looked into it.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

UmbrageOfSnow

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: Umbrageofsnow
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2017, 04:17:16 pm »

I'm with Awaclus.  BRP is much more elegant that D&D or WoD.

There are so many interesting rulesets that are better than either of those IMO, depending on what sort of game you want to play.

I like BRP much more in CoC than in Runequest, for example.  Although I admittedly only played like one session of Runequest ever, the rules felt less... can't really put my finger on it, but I think I like BRP better for average joe sorts of characters.

Something I haven't played at all but have read and like the look of for more complicated rules fantasy stuff is 13th Age.  It's like the better parts of 4e D&D with a more narrative focus.  Not sure if I'd rather play it as is, or rip off the Icon rules and a few other things and staple them onto something else.

I don't play much fantasy stuff though these days (by which I mean like the last 8 years.)  Had some fun with Barbarians of Lemuria as a rules-light one-shot though.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2017, 04:55:28 pm »

Nah, obviously your first intro should be Hero system, or Rolemaster.  Yeah, definitely.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.046 seconds with 19 queries.