Miscellaneous > Other Games

Captain Sonar

(1/2) > >>

Kuildeous:
My local board game pub has a copy of Captain Sonar on its shelves. I MUST PLAY THIS!

I'll be heading there tonight by myself, so the best I can do is wrangle strangers to try out this weird game.

If worse comes to worst, I intend to snag one person—possibly the owner of the pub—to play one on one. For something like this, it'd be turn-based instead of real time, but it'd give us a really intimate understanding of how the roles work.

I do hope for the full experience sometime.

GendoIkari:
I learned this at BGG.con last year, and I just played it on Saturday.  :)

It's great, but not a game I'd ever actually buy because I'm not going to get 8 people all at once that want to play it (while not also leaving another 1-2 people out).

My advice, don't play in a noisy room. People have to accurately and clearly hear what other players are saying; and without taking the time to stop and ask them to repeat. We had a lot of problems this weekend with missing movement directions despite the captain trying to say them clearly and loudly.

Kirian:
It was a fun game.  Echoing GI's advice though, make sure it's not noisy around you.

Kuildeous:

--- Quote from: GendoIkari on January 30, 2017, 02:38:53 pm ---My advice, don't play in a noisy room.
--- End quote ---

Which sadly is going to have to be the case in the board game pub. I've talked with them about putting in some noise-canceling padding.

If it's too noisy, then I'll forego playing the game. Or maybe just do turn-based to combat the noisiness, but I do want to try it in real time.

Kuildeous:
Well, slow night last night. I didn't get to experience 8-player real-time madness.

I did console myself by learning all about it with a one-on-one turn-by-turn game.  I tell you; that took so long. Since there was no time pressure, we took longer in sizing up our options. And of course, each of us took on all four roles.

I actually recommend playing this method for learning, but if you see more potential players lurking around, by all means abort the slogfest and go have some frenetic fun. Or, you know, just play about eight turns so you get the engineering part and then go play Splendor or Dominion instead.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version