Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Interesting Warehouse Board  (Read 2513 times)

rogerclee

• Steward
  • Respect: +3
    • View Profile
Interesting Warehouse Board
« on: June 24, 2011, 12:56:33 pm »

Supply:

Harvest
Mint
Contraband
Stash

Coppersmith
Thief
Treasure Map

Familiar

Chancellor
Warehouse

You open 3/4 in first position (2 player). What is your plan?

(Your opponent opens 3/4 as well, his first buy is a Warehouse.)

Elyv

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +15
    • View Profile
Re: Interesting Warehouse Board
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2011, 01:19:19 pm »

I would probably open Warehouse/Potion, planning to grab some familiars, and then basically go straight big money, possibly grabbing some more warehouses, harvest, and mint along the way.

The other option I can see is to go for treasure maps, but I've generally had bad experiences with treasure map unless I'm playing chapel or something, and here I'd probably try to grab some familiars first.

Randal FTW

• Scout
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2011, 01:26:48 pm »

Yeah im opening Potion/Warehouse to get the familiars and then Im only buying treasure and either a coppersmith or a mint (and more warehouses as needed). Seems kinda standard tho, I feel like im missing the point of the OP.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2011, 01:34:28 pm by Randal FTW »
With No Power Comes No Responsibility

ARTjoMS

• Bishop
  • Respect: +6
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2011, 01:30:35 pm »

chancellor+potion.
When a friend of mine sees a girl he finds attractive, he remarks how he'd like to "Throne Room" or "King's Court" her.
- Axe Knight

''Especially regarding such an iconic (and somewhat infamous) name that is known as ARTjoMS.'' - shark_bait is boosting my ego.

chwhite

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +442
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2011, 01:34:14 pm »

Wow, uh.  What a swingy and lucktastic board.  I tend to ignore Treasure Maps even when enablers are around, so the 4 would definitely be a potion to grab Familiars.

Familiar and Stash are probably the two cards that go best with Chancellor, so I'd be seriously tempted to embrace the chaos and go that route.  Seriously, swap out Warehouse for something mediocre (because that's also a reasonable option here) and you basically have the ideal Chancellor board.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2011, 01:37:03 pm by chwhite »
To discard or not to discard?  That is the question.

rogerclee

• Steward
  • Respect: +3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2011, 01:50:06 pm »

Seems kinda standard tho, I feel like im missing the point of the OP.

No real point, I thought it was interesting though. The reason we open Potion/Warehouse on a board with Familiar is we want to maximize our chance of hitting 3P before the reshuffle (I think it's better than Silver/P, anyway) and we want to maximize the number of familiars we play by cycling our deck way faster. When we accomplish this, what tends to happen is that our economy is broken, but unless our opponent has done the same thing their deck is even more ruined and we have enough time to recover. Remember, Warehouse/Familiar doesn't even really buy more than a silver or two in terms of economy for the first few turns.

In this game, there are two curse-resistant counter strategies. If Warehouse/TM hits, you can go pretty far by just spamming warehouses until you can find 3 gold or GGS in 9 non-warehouse cards. Another unbelievably curse-resistant strategy is Chancellor/Stash, where you never see the bad part of your deck anyway because you are spamming Chancellors, and getting 2+ stash before being overcome with curses should not be a problem, after which you can consistently buy chancellor/stash/province. Maybe some sort of hybrid strategy would work too.

I'm not sure what the answer is. At the table I went with Warehouse/TM and my opponent opened Warehouse/Potion. I hit TM at turn 5 and after that it was mostly over, though all this proved was that if nearly the best possible scenario happens for your strategy, you will probably win. I actually misplayed badly to win by only 1, but it should not have been close.

I would actually like to know what is the expected turn you hit Treasure Maps on with opening TM/Warehouse (buy rules: open TM/Warehouse, buy one other treasure map, else buy warehouses until they activate), if anyone can bother to figure that out.

Game log:
http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20110607-144518-7e707f8a.html
« Last Edit: June 24, 2011, 01:55:55 pm by rogerclee »
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 20 queries.