Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: New Mechanic - Delay  (Read 4242 times)

MattLee

• Spy
  • Respect: +88
    • View Profile
New Mechanic - Delay
« on: January 28, 2017, 09:37:06 am »
+2

I've come up with a new mechanic called Delay and a bunch of possible cards to try it out with.  These cards use the Delay mat and would have rules in the rulebook and printed on the Delay mat as a reminder that when you shuffle your deck, put all cards from the Delay mat into your discard pile. Cards on your Delay mat aren't considered in your deck at the end of the game. The idea came from Debt, where you get the card now but pay for it later. With Delay you pay for it now (at a bargin price) but you have wait to get it. Chancellor type card are great with Delay and so are big draw cards that will help you cycle through you deck faster.

Keep in mind all of my cards are designed for long Colony/Platinum games and if these cards came in an expansion it would include them.

Moneygrubber - $5
Action

Choose one: Gain a silver to your hand or gain a Gold, putting it on your Delay mat.

Prosperous Village - $5
Action

+1 Cards
+2 Action
-
When you gain this, gain a card costing less than it, putting it on your Delay mat.

Assistant - $3
Action

+1 Card
+1 Action
+ $1
-
When you gain this, put it on your Delay mat.

Byway - $4
Action

+1 Action
+1 Buy

While this is in play cards cost $1 less but not less than $0. When you buy a card this turn, put it on your Delay mat.

Bunker - $3
Action

+1 Action
+ $1

Put any number of cards from your hand onto your Delay mat, then draw that many cards.

Manor - $4
Action

Choose one: Gain an action card costing up to $6, putting it on your Delay mat, or gain an action card costing up to $4

Collateral - $5
Action

+ $2

Each other player with 5 or more cards in hand puts a card from their hand, chosen at random, onto their Delay mat.

Stockpile - $6
Treasure

$4
-
Whenever you buy a card this turn, put it on your Delay mat.

Savings - $5
Treasure

$3
-

Territory - $9
Victory

7VP
-
« Last Edit: February 04, 2017, 10:14:03 am by MattLee »

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5138
    • View Profile
Re: New Mechanic - Delay
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2017, 10:04:56 am »
+1

Just for clarity: Are cards that go through the Delay mat ever gained, and if so, when?
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5459
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2017, 10:38:05 am »
+1

Just for clarity: Are cards that go through the Delay mat ever gained, and if so, when?

It seems that all are gained, except via Byway.

Also, is the Time mat the same as the Delay mat?
Well you *do* need a signature...

MattLee

• Spy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2017, 10:43:51 am »

When the card is gained its put on the Delay mat, then just put from the Delay mat to the Discard pile.

Good catch on 'Time mat', thats old wording, I'll change it.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2017, 10:45:20 am by MattLee »

Doom_Shark

• Tactician
  • Shuffle iT Username: Doom_Shark
  • Respect: +409
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2017, 11:26:46 am »
+3

Interesting. You mentioned that cards on the delay mat are not considered to be in your deck at the end of the game. What about a reaction card that would allow you to delay junk? Those pesky coppers from mountebank get to miss a shuffle, and your curses might still be there at the end of the game, if you get lucky.
"I swear to drunk I'm not officer, God."
Generation 33 The first time you see this, copy it, add 1 to the generation number, and add it to your signature. (On any forum) Social experiment.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10736
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2017, 02:11:40 pm »
+4

Cards on your Delay mat aren't considered in your deck at the end of the game.

I strongly recommend against this. At the end of the game all cards that are "yours" are scored; whether they are set aside, on your Tavern Mat, or never even in your deck like a Summoned card. If you really want them to not be in your deck, then rather than have you gain it when you buy it, you should do something like you put a reserve token on it, and gain it after you shuffle. But simpler to just count them like normal. Rebalance cards if necessary.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

MattLee

• Spy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2017, 08:56:10 pm »
+1

Interesting. You mentioned that cards on the delay mat are not considered to be in your deck at the end of the game. What about a reaction card that would allow you to delay junk? Those pesky coppers from mountebank get to miss a shuffle, and your curses might still be there at the end of the game, if you get lucky.

I think you're onto something there, I like it!

Cards on your Delay mat aren't considered in your deck at the end of the game.

I strongly recommend against this. At the end of the game all cards that are "yours" are scored; whether they are set aside, on your Tavern Mat, or never even in your deck like a Summoned card. If you really want them to not be in your deck, then rather than have you gain it when you buy it, you should do something like you put a reserve token on it, and gain it after you shuffle. But simpler to just count them like normal. Rebalance cards if necessary.

Fair point... It would change some of the uniqueness of the idea though. Is it just the wording you think is off? I could word it like "If you would gain a card, put it on your Delay mat instead. When you shuffle, gain it."

market squire

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +201
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2017, 09:35:04 pm »
+1

I've come up with a similar concept quite a while ago: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=11604.0
It was a seperate pile rather than a mat and the cards there counted as player's property. Otherwise it is the same mechanic. It is interesting to compare the card ideas.

MattLee

• Spy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2017, 11:42:33 pm »
+1

I've come up with a similar concept quite a while ago: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=11604.0
It was a seperate pile rather than a mat and the cards there counted as player's property. Otherwise it is the same mechanic. It is interesting to compare the card ideas.

Dang, I guess its not as original of an idea as I thought! Of yours I really like

Dark Room v1 (Action) $5
You may choose an Action from your hand. Play it three times.
When you discard that card, put it on your queue pile.

Butler (Action-Reaction) $3
Put a card from your hand on your queue pile. Gain a card costing less than it.

Grand Cellar is pretty similar to my Bunker

Grand Cellar (Action) $5
+1 Card
+1 Action
Put any number of cards on your queue pile.
Per card that you put on it: +1 Card.

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5344
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2017, 08:10:20 am »
+1

I also did a single delay card once. It was a cantrip trasher, costed $2 and was only gained a shuffle later. It originally said "When you gain this, put it aside, and put it in your discard pile after you shuffle.". It was both too strong and hard to remember. I increased the price to $4, and we were getting somewhere. Still to hard to remember and slightly strong, though. As it costed $4, I felt that I could just cost it at one Potion instead, make it trash that Potion and return the buy on buy, which is what I did. Except for having the Potion in your hand once, the outcome is pretty much the same. In the end, it didn't even return the buy. Take a look at "Homunculus" in my thread if you like.

Obviously this isn't a general solution, but I didn't find the mechanic interesting enough for more than one card, either way. Maybe a mat would have changed that. However, I think a card that sets aside others to miss the shuffle could just be a duration, tbh.

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5344
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2017, 12:11:10 pm »
+1

On another note, I agree to GendoIkari. Having the cards be part of your deck makes it behave less swingy and more in line with official cards. Putting VP cards on a mat to have them miss the shuffle would be a nice option, but the risk of them not giving any points seems very dangerous with the current ruling. Obviously, you can balance your cards for either ruling. E.g. Territory would have to cost 10$ or be as expensive as Province while giving less points, Stockpile and Byway would have to exclude VP cards or be re-done.

In either case, Bunker seems awfully strong, and Collateral awfully swingy. I like the idea behind many of the others - the mechanic seems more flexible and creative than I'd thought. Prosperous Village would possibly be better at $5, but it feels a tad too similar to Border Village. I like Savings, Manor, Assistant and Moneygrubber the most. The Reaction idea seems cute.

MattLee

• Spy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2017, 10:30:03 am »

I've decided it to try a few of these out without rule of Delay cards not being in the deck at end of game, we'll see how it goings. I forgot about Border Village being so close to Prosperous Village so thats going to have to be changed I guess.

Thanks for the input  :)

Rococo

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +8
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2017, 11:45:05 pm »

have you tried this yet? savings and assistant get my vote if you haven't printed them off yet
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 20 queries.