Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Band of Misfits, Fairgrounds, and Duration cards  (Read 2923 times)

majiponi

• Jester
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
Band of Misfits, Fairgrounds, and Duration cards
« on: January 27, 2017, 03:02:22 am »
+3

I played Band of Misfits as Hireling (somehow).
Do I count the Band of Misfits as Hireling? Or Band of Misfits?
Does it leave play when counting vps?

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +25672
    • View Profile
Re: Band of Misfits, Fairgrounds, and Duration cards
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2017, 03:22:00 am »
+3

I played Band of Misfits as Hireling (somehow).
Do I count the Band of Misfits as Hireling? Or Band of Misfits?
Does it leave play when counting vps?
When scoring at the end of the game, Band is just Band.

Aleimon Thimble

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Aleimon Thimble
  • Respect: +711
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2017, 04:51:07 am »
+2

'Somehow' might be 'by using Ferry'.
[...] The God of heaven has given you Dominion [...] (Daniel 2:37)

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2017, 10:04:58 am »
+2

'Somehow' might be 'by using Ferry'.

Or Overlord with cost reduction. Overlord is a thing now.

Jeebus

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jeebus
  • Respect: +1635
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2017, 11:01:47 am »

This is actually a very good question, now that the end game rules have removed "put all your cards into your deck" (and abilities that used to score VP for "cards in your deck" now just score for "your cards").

Since you still do Clean-up on your last turn, there will normally not be any cards in play at the end, but the exception is Durations. So if you played BoM or Overlord as a Duration, it's technically still that card at game end. This matters for Museum, Obelisk, Orchard, Tower, Triumphal Arch and Wolf Den. So this is a new ruling - that BoM and Overlord nevertheless will revert at game end.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2017, 12:02:17 pm »
+3

This is actually a very good question, now that the end game rules have removed "put all your cards into your deck" (and abilities that used to score VP for "cards in your deck" now just score for "your cards").

Since you still do Clean-up on your last turn, there will normally not be any cards in play at the end, but the exception is Durations. So if you played BoM or Overlord as a Duration, it's technically still that card at game end. This matters for Museum, Obelisk, Orchard, Tower, Triumphal Arch and Wolf Den. So this is a new ruling - that BoM and Overlord nevertheless will revert at game end.

Well, think about it.  They both say "until it leaves play" - when the game is over, you're not playing anymore. :)
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Haddock

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Haddock
  • Doc Cod
  • Respect: +558
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2017, 12:21:45 pm »
+6

Well, think about it.  They both say "until it leaves play" - when the game is over, you're not playing anymore. :)
"Until it leaves play, or play leaves it"
The best reason to lynch Haddock is the meltdown we get to witness on the wagon runup. I mean, we should totally wagon him every day just for the lulz.

M Town Wins-Losses (6-2, 75%): 71, 72, 76, 81, 83, 87 - 79, 82.  M Scum Wins-Losses (2-1, 67%): 80, 101 - 70.
RMM Town Wins-Losses (3-1, 75%): 42, 47, 49 - 31.  RMM Scum Wins-Losses (3-3, 50%): 33, 37, 43 - 29, 32, 35.
Modded: M75, M84, RMM38.     Mislynched (M-RMM): None - 42.     Correctly lynched (M-RMM): 101 - 33, 33, 35.       MVPs: RMM37, M87

MatthewCA

• Thief
  • Respect: +86
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2017, 11:16:15 pm »

Another question about band of misfits as hireling. If I move my -$2 cost token off hireling, what happens to the band of misfits or overlord I played as hireling. Band says play this as a card costing less than it, and overlord specifically states the card has to $5 or less. What would happen to these cards if the cost was changed? My brain says they would just stay in play forever, but my heart thinks they should be discarded.

Jeebus

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jeebus
  • Respect: +1635
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2017, 11:47:59 pm »
+6

Another question about band of misfits as hireling. If I move my -$2 cost token off hireling, what happens to the band of misfits or overlord I played as hireling. Band says play this as a card costing less than it, and overlord specifically states the card has to $5 or less. What would happen to these cards if the cost was changed? My brain says they would just stay in play forever, but my heart thinks they should be discarded.

Don't listen to your heart.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2017, 01:44:16 am »
+2

Don't listen to your heart.

This. Consider a similar but different example. You play Highway, then Workshop. You choose to gain another Highway, which you can do because Highway now costs $4. When you cleanup your turn, you discard Highway from play, so now Highway costs $5 again. Do yo think you have to put back the one you just gained because Workshop wouldn't let you gain a Highway anymore?

This is the same thing. Band of Misfits had a restriction on what it could be played as. You followed that restriction when you played it. That's the only time the restriction matters.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.238 seconds with 21 queries.