Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Naming cards  (Read 5176 times)

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4434
    • View Profile
Naming cards
« on: January 26, 2017, 12:12:48 am »
+1

How do I name a card not in the supply? E.g. if I want to try to trash Overgrown Estate with Doctor, or what have you.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
Re: Naming cards
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2017, 12:28:22 am »
+3

How do I name a card not in the supply? E.g. if I want to try to trash Overgrown Estate with Doctor, or what have you.

This feature is not yet implemented.  Try again later.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

jaybeez

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: jaybeez
  • Respect: +395
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2017, 05:26:21 pm »
+7

Just lost a game because of this.  Played Wishing Well, and I knew the top card was Warrior.  If I had been able to name Warrior, I would have been able to hit $8 and buy the last Province.  Instead I hit $7 for the turn, bought a Duchy, and eventually lost.

I don't expect this implementation to be perfect from the get-go, but I do expect that it should allow you to, you know, play the game as defined by the rulebook.

I mean Jesus H. Christ you guys.

Razzishi

• Conspirator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Eye Urn
  • Respect: +120
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2017, 08:22:53 pm »

Just lost a game because of this.  Played Wishing Well, and I knew the top card was Warrior.  If I had been able to name Warrior, I would have been able to hit $8 and buy the last Province.  Instead I hit $7 for the turn, bought a Duchy, and eventually lost.

I don't expect this implementation to be perfect from the get-go, but I do expect that it should allow you to, you know, play the game as defined by the rulebook.

I mean Jesus H. Christ you guys.

I'm rather surprised you can't click on the cards that are visible that are part of the not-actually-the-Supply supply for the game.  I assumed you could but never needed to, but testing it out I confirmed that you can't.  That's very odd to me, but should be easily fixable.  For Shelters, Knights, Castles, and probably split cards they'll have to have an "additional cards to name" dialog or something, and it'll have to be able to handle Black Market with its 60 available cards (although perhaps it can help you out by only allowing you to name cards actually in your deck).
Stop reading my signature.

Dingan

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Dingan
  • Respect: +1728
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2017, 08:42:02 pm »
+2

Doctor with Shelters is particularly common/annoying

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2017, 01:25:21 am »
+1

The obvious solution is to literally have a text box where you type in whatever you want. That hews most closely to the actual IRL functionality of "name a card, which is, "say whatever you want". I'm not saying it's actually the best solution, or even a good solution, but it's something to think about. It might actually be doable if it still let you click on Supply cards instead and if the text box offered auto-complete suggestions to help you avoid typos.

Dingan

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Dingan
  • Respect: +1728
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2017, 02:18:29 am »
+1

The obvious solution is to literally have a text box where you type in whatever you want. That hews most closely to the actual IRL functionality of "name a card, which is, "say whatever you want". I'm not saying it's actually the best solution, or even a good solution, but it's something to think about. It might actually be doable if it still let you click on Supply cards instead and if the text box offered auto-complete suggestions to help you avoid typos.
That would be terrible for things like Bureaucrat.  But would be ... an improvement nonetheless.

tailred

• Golem
  • Shuffle iT Username: ceviri
  • Respect: +368
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2017, 06:23:47 am »

(shameless plug)
I've somewhat got this functionality down in my mod that lets you type in card names to play from hand/choose from in-play/reveal windows etc. It even has autocomplete like you suggest.

Icehawk78

• Swindler
  • Shuffle iT Username: Nicholas Galauxy
  • Respect: +23
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2017, 01:45:37 am »
+1

(shameless plug)
I've somewhat got this functionality down in my mod that lets you type in card names to play from hand/choose from in-play/reveal windows etc. It even has autocomplete like you suggest.

Hey cool, I'm currently working on that for mine too, but a visual display instead of text based. Do you submit event calls directly?

Rabid

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Rabid
  • Respect: +643
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2017, 02:47:08 pm »
+6

Twitch
1 Day Cup #1:Ednever

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2017, 03:00:20 pm »
+4

This has been fixed:

http://forum.shuffleit.nl/index.php?topic=604.msg4904#msg4904

Seems like a big release. Text input for naming cards is bound to feel a bit weird from a UI perspective but for now I am at least happy the functionality is there.

Polk5440

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1788
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2017, 11:36:02 am »
+2

"fixed"

Functionality has been minimally implemented, I'll give them that.

Rabid

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Rabid
  • Respect: +643
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2017, 12:44:36 pm »

"fixed"

Yes it's great minimalism isn't it.
I like how typing in the name solves the information leak problems of picking from a short list.
Might need a different solutions for non PC users in future though.
Twitch
1 Day Cup #1:Ednever

SkyHard

• Steward
  • Respect: +17
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2017, 01:22:01 am »

"fixed"

Yes, it is minimalism, but great?

How big an information leak would a short list be? What's the worst that could be leaked?

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2017, 10:45:39 am »

"fixed"

Yes, it is minimalism, but great?

How big an information leak would a short list be? What's the worst that could be leaked?

The contents of the Black Market deck, and / or the contents of your own deck. If you list every card that could be in this game, you reveal the contents of the BM deck.

If you list every card in your deck, now you know what is already in your deck. The contents of your deck SHOULD be something a player already knows, but that information isn't given to you. Keeping track of this yourself is part of the game.

There may be  solutions that work around these problems, but they aren't quick fixes. A text box is a great interim solution, and honestly even with a drop down I would use the text box on desktop anyway.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2017, 11:13:51 am »
+2

I love the text box, personally. I usually only have to type a few characters to get the card I want to appear in the list. Then again, I've only used it with Doctor so far. Perhaps it would be cumbersome with a Wishing Well or Mystic deck. One solution would be to always include non-clickable cards you've previously named this game in the list, before you even type anything.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 22 queries.