Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Do bot games affect ranking?  (Read 11495 times)

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
Re: Do bot games affect ranking?
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2017, 09:49:44 pm »
+1

And also the animations need work. That should be priority number one: making the log completely unnecessary for playing the game AND for being able to tell what your opponent(s) are doing.

See I'm really confused by this, because all I ever heard for years when Goko came out was how terrible and unnecessary the animations were, and how much better it was when Isotropic was around and all you needed was the nice log.

That, and ShuffleIT does animate stuff that's happening... I'm not sure why people are finding the need to look at the log to figure out what's going on.

Humor me and do an experiment. Cover the right part of your screen where the log is and play a game. One will do. I think you'll at least get the idea of what I'm talking about. It's very difficult to see what your opponent is gaining.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2017, 10:35:54 pm »

And also the animations need work. That should be priority number one: making the log completely unnecessary for playing the game AND for being able to tell what your opponent(s) are doing.

See I'm really confused by this, because all I ever heard for years when Goko came out was how terrible and unnecessary the animations were, and how much better it was when Isotropic was around and all you needed was the nice log.

That, and ShuffleIT does animate stuff that's happening... I'm not sure why people are finding the need to look at the log to figure out what's going on.

Humor me and do an experiment. Cover the right part of your screen where the log is and play a game. One will do. I think you'll at least get the idea of what I'm talking about. It's very difficult to see what your opponent is gaining.

I think there might be this "uncanny valley" thing going on where the graphics of the game suggest that it should play like Goko/MF but feels off because really it's more like Isotropic with a pretty skin.

Actually no, the current implementation is a hybrid of Goko/MF and Isotropic, with many but not all features tied to buttons outside the log. That inconsistency is a major source of confusion I'd say.

I'm tempted to say Isotropic was not well suited for mobile, but I'm pretty sure people played Isotropic mobile anyway. It's more that the Isotropic style interface of log buttons does not take advantage of the available screen real estate.

The name-a-card issue of not being able to name out-of-supply cards is major if you ask me, due to the existence of Shelters. Doctor, Wishing Well, Mystic, and the like suffer big time. Hopefully that is high on the to-do list.

I still like a lot of things about the new implementation though.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2017, 11:16:21 pm »

But that was true for MF as well.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2017, 11:48:35 pm »
+2

Huh? Maybe if you had animations off or on very fast. I had animations on medium and each card gained on another player's turn hovered briefly in the center of the screen. Made it real easy to follow the game.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2017, 11:49:39 pm »
+2

I still like a lot of things about the new implementation though.

I like a lot of things about the new implementation, too. But there are so many things that need work.

drsteelhammer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: drsteelhammer
  • Respect: +1471
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2017, 05:02:53 am »
+3

To be fair, that would be a bit difficult with Reserve cards, but I did something similar: I played a game with Russian text without knowing any letter of the cyrillic alphabet. And yes, I won that game without being confused about what was going on.
Join the Dominion League!

There is no bad shuffle that can not be surmounted by scorn.

jaybeez

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: jaybeez
  • Respect: +395
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2017, 02:44:21 pm »
+4

Of course this could be avoided with Good Match, but that has its own set of pains (long wait time, don't play new players very often, etc.).

For me, "Good Match" is "wait until jaybeez comes online" match. Jaybeez is great, but I'd like to be matched up against someone even when jaybeez isn't around! (The rating criteria should be adjustable!)

I'm both flattered and confused by this post.

JW

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: JW
  • Respect: +1792
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2017, 04:24:14 pm »

Of course this could be avoided with Good Match, but that has its own set of pains (long wait time, don't play new players very often, etc.).

For me, "Good Match" is "wait until jaybeez comes online" match. Jaybeez is great, but I'd like to be matched up against someone even when jaybeez isn't around! (The rating criteria should be adjustable!)

I'm both flattered and confused by this post.

You are often the only person using good match at the same time that I'm using it who has a rating that the system considers acceptable. So I wait a while and if you show up, I get a game! If I could adjust the rating criterion, this presumably would not occur.

jaybeez

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: jaybeez
  • Respect: +395
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2017, 04:52:56 pm »

Oh, okay.  I guess I hadn't noticed that we'd played each other inordinately often lately.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 27, 2017, 05:02:29 pm »

Huh? Maybe if you had animations off or on very fast. I had animations on medium and each card gained on another player's turn hovered briefly in the center of the screen. Made it real easy to follow the game.

I clicked animations off as soon as that option was available, and never played with that shiny bullshit again.  It was horrific.  I have no idea if they changed them to be reasonable or not.  Plus I cannot imagine how long it would take to deal with the animations for a long turn.  I suspect I'd want to kill someone before the game ended.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

JKRich

• Steward
  • Respect: +57
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2017, 12:06:09 am »

The ratings used for matching are the old isotropish ratings for now.
Do the "isotropish" ratings only apply to those who played on Isotropic? I first played on MF. If not, what would my rating be and what is the possible range of ratings (hard to know w/o explanation what +/-30 means)? If so, are they posted somewhere or can I get an idea based on my MF ratings?

Plus I cannot imagine how long it would take to deal with the animations for a long turn.  I suspect I'd want to kill someone before the game ended.
Agreed -- certain animations on MF were torturous (like when a bot had several Spies), and at times I would crank the animation speed to the max to skip to the end of those turns, with going back and forth being a real pain. One idea I hope S/i considers is adding a Skip (to End of Turn) button to allow skipping the animations of long turns, say anything involving >3 Actions maybe. Still, they've already made a bunch of speed improvements to things like reactions (e.g. Hovel), duplicate card dispersal (TMap, Feodum, ...), etc. and I really like (and kind of think it's almost essential to have) the option of having a game simulate the pace of playing IRL. Sure, some people won't need or want it, but to appeal to the broadest possible customer base (kids to seniors, disabled, etc.) I think they'd want to have it, if nothing else to also promote the physical game (for DXV/RGG's sake).

Rabid

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Rabid
  • Respect: +643
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 03, 2017, 08:28:41 am »
+1

http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16719.msg664894#msg664894

isotropish = Isotropic style ratings, based on MF data.
Twitch
1 Day Cup #1:Ednever
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.061 seconds with 21 queries.