Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Fast game madness  (Read 936 times)

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
Fast game madness
« on: January 20, 2017, 01:29:10 pm »

Played this randomly-generated kingdom last night, IRL, 3 player.

So we know right away it was going to be a ridiculous and fast game. Jonts opened Nomad Camp / Masquerade / Haven, while I pulled 3/4 and opened Masquerade/Ironworks. The 3rd player opened Nomad Camp / Haven / Haven.

I thought getting a bunch of Ironworks was important for pile control and to be able to get the most Fortreses and Masquerades quickly, but I forgot that money was important too. So while I was thinning and gaining cheap cards faster than the others, they were able to hit for King's Court while I couldn't get there. Jonts put his + token on Fortress and managed to get just 4 of them before the pile ran out (I had 4 also, player 3 had the other 2).

So while I was struggling to get actual economy, we began to see after only a few turns that Jonts had built a deck that should be able to 3 pile with a couple points pretty quickly. Player 3 and I got a Duchy instead of building anything, and while Masquerades were still getting played plenty, I started holding onto every Estate I could find. I even twice used Ironworks to grab an Estate.

So Jonts has everything he needs for a great turn. Fortresses are gone; and there's just 1 Haven and 4 Ironworks left. He uses KC-Fortress to get money and cards and actions; then KC-Ironworks + another Ironworks to drain all Ironworks. He produces money, and buys a Province and the last Haven for what he's pretty sure is the win.

Then I look through my deck, and I've managed to amass my Duchy and 4 Estates. With all the Masquerades flying around, there's no way he could have tracked that I had that many Estates. So I win, 7-6-3.

The ironic thing is that in the previous game (a much more boring drawn out slog), I bought the last Province to end it and give him the win.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 12:19:48 am by GendoIkari »
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 20 queries.