Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Cost this Card: Bribe  (Read 3662 times)

Gubump

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
Cost this Card: Bribe
« on: January 18, 2017, 11:51:11 pm »

Bribe 2.1
Bribe 2.0

A Bridge variant that gives twice the cost-reduction that Bridge does, but doesn't work on the first card you buy. Since it's a Bribe, I decided that you can get it from other players buying Golds. It also reduces the cost of Gold just by being in the Supply, so that it doesn't nerf Gold too much.

Bribe 1.0

Basically an Expand with a drawback. I'm not sure if the drawback is harsh enough to make it cost $4, or if it should really cost $5. I want it to cost $4 because I have other $5-cost cards in mind for the fan expansion this card is for.

P.S.: I know that the only good way to really tell is with playtesting, but I just wanted an excuse to post this anyway.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 11:07:28 am by Gubump »
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
Re: Cost this Card: Bribe
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2017, 12:36:08 am »
+1

It's amazing for trashing Estates. And I think probably the reason Expand ended up costing so much is so that you can't get it early for trashing Estates. So I would say this should cost…$7. And then of course Expand already exists.

You could try it at $6, I guess. I bet it's too strong for $5.

Gubump

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2017, 12:43:18 am »

It's amazing for trashing Estates. And I think probably the reason Expand ended up costing so much is so that you can't get it early for trashing Estates. So I would say this should cost…$7. And then of course Expand already exists.

What if I made it so that it can't trash Victory cards?
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2017, 12:45:01 am »

Or put another way, if you don't want or need a card in your deck, chances are good that the other players don't want or need it either. They don't want Estates, Coppers, or Curses. And by the time you're turning good cards into Provinces, they may never draw their new copy of that card before the game ends. So really it's only a bonus for them if you're turning good cards into better cards in the middle of the game. And Remodel/Expand aren't really great at doing that anyway.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2017, 12:45:40 am »

What if I made it so that it can't trash Victory cards?

I think the value proposition for you is pretty limited at that point. Maybe if you topdecked the new card or something.

Gubump

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2017, 01:11:07 am »

I'm just going to overhaul it. I didn't think about the fact that it'll mostly be used to trash junk anyways.

Gubump

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2017, 01:23:23 am »

Bribe has now been completely overhauled into a Bridge variant.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2017, 02:58:14 am »

* Kirian punches the Simple Machines Forum Devs

Discreet, dammit!
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

heron

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: heron
  • Respect: +1183
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2017, 03:00:39 am »

Bribe has now been completely overhauled into a Bridge variant.

I think it's notable that you only need to play 4 bribes to be able to empty the provinces. That's a lot easier than ~7 bridges.

madeofghosts

• Baron
  • Respect: +98
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2017, 05:21:38 am »

This is a little pedantic but I'm not sure the wording quite works, even though the meaning is clear. I'd go for something like "while this is in play, if you've already bought a card this turn, all cards cost 2 less"

As for costing: in general play it's weaker than Bridge. You'd have to buy 4 cards or more to get a better saving than Bridge gives you. You do get more buys, though, and the benefits snowball quicker so it's definitely a stronger card for megaturns. So I think it would have to be $4.

Edit: I've only just realised you can self-junk with a copper for the first buy and avoid the extra cost. So yeah. I dunno.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 08:31:04 am by madeofghosts »

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2017, 10:39:27 am »

Bribe 2.0 is basically (at worst) a Princess that forces you to gain a Copper. Princess is a prize for a reason. This card is probably too strong at any cost; KC - Bribe already nearly allows you to empty the Province pile.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2017, 10:50:52 am »

What if it only worked to get multiple of the same card? So "Copies of cards you've purchased this turn cost less". This way you can still empty the Provinces if you get 4 in play, except you also need to produce on that turn.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Gubump

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2017, 11:05:38 am »

What if it only worked to get multiple of the same card? So "Copies of cards you've purchased this turn cost less". This way you can still empty the Provinces if you get 4 in play, except you also need to produce on that turn.

That sounds like a good idea. I'll do that.

faust

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2017, 11:06:04 am »

This may technically work. I mean it's still easier to achieve than a Bridge megaturn, but Bribe doesn't really help you build your deck that much.

It may end up kind of boring though; outside of a megaturn, I don't see all that much use for such a card.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2017, 12:56:43 pm »

"Name a card you have not named this turn.  Copies of that card cost $2 less this turn."
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2017, 01:08:36 pm »
+2

"Name a card you have not named this turn.  Copies of that card cost $2 less this turn."

Terrible interaction with Wishing Well, Mystic, or just generally talking about Dominion cards while playing.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

faust

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2017, 02:07:02 pm »

Terrible interaction with Wishing Well, Mystic, or just generally talking about Dominion cards while playing.
Something interesting and more practical might be:

"Set aside a card from your hand. Cards that share a type with this card cost $2 less this turn, but not less than $0. Discard or trash all cards set aside this way at the end of your turn."

This prevents easy Province piling. Might need a buff to make it more interesting in the early game.

EDIT: THe bolded thing could be a buff and I think this can be a pretty interesting card.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 02:10:37 pm by faust »

Gubump

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2017, 04:32:06 pm »

I've decided to do what Faust suggested. I'm going to playtest it before changing it anymore, unless somebody finds a glaring issue with it.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.081 seconds with 21 queries.