Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: What Have I Missed?  (Read 5298 times)

Schneau

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Schneau
  • Respect: +1461
    • View Profile
    • Rainwave
What Have I Missed?
« on: January 18, 2017, 07:30:27 pm »
+2

So, I've been essentially out of competitive Dominion since a little after Guilds was released. I've started playing a lot with the release of dominion.games, and want to get up to speed for more competitive play again.

I'm wondering what big shifts in the metagame I should know about. Are Rebuild, Cultist, and Ambassador still dominant cards? What new cards are similarly dominant? What Events and Landmarks make the biggest impact on the game? Are Castles ever the best strategy? How does debt change the game? What questions do I not even know to ask? Have there been any good memes? Etc.

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Roadrunner7672
  • Forum Mafia Record: 18-33-2
  • Respect: +1346
    • View Profile
Re: What Have I Missed?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2017, 07:31:44 pm »
+11

Scout hasn't been implemented properly into the new Dominion Online yet, we're all still waiting on that.
Oh God someone delete this before Roadrunner sees it.

JW

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: JW
  • Respect: +1781
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2017, 07:42:08 pm »
+6

Rebuild isn't as dominant because there's more alt-VP and a higher percentage of cards are useful, which tends to enhance non-Rebuild strategies more.

What Events and Landmarks make the biggest impact on the game?

Anyone want to Donate some wisdom?

Schneau

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
    • Rainwave
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2017, 08:02:30 pm »
+20

Scout hasn't been implemented properly into the new Dominion Online yet, we're all still waiting on that.

I see that the memes metagame hasn't evolved much.

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2854
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2017, 04:01:59 am »
+5

I've only just felt like I got a handle on some Adventures cards. I have no idea what I'm doing with Empires.

Most Events are pretty impactful. Both the Page and Peasant line are very dominant and until you know better it's best to assume you should always be opening 1 Page or 1 Peasant.

Masquerade pins are dead, which is good because Royal Carriage-Masquerade was a 2 card combo for pinning.

Distant Lands are deceptively strong. I'm not sure what the right timing is, but you buy Distant Lands over Gold very quickly in BM, and almost always want to pick some up in engine games, unless you need the points right now to avoid losing to 3 piles. 4 VP out of your deck is very useful, and because they're an action you can sometimes gain them faster than you'd expect (University, Procession, etc.).

Artificer topdecks the card you gain. I almost always forget this when playing with the card. The only reason I remember Artificer topdecks is because I remember that I always forget it topdecks cards. Funny how that works.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12848
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2017, 04:18:06 am »
+1

Artificer topdecks the card you gain. I almost always forget this when playing with the card. The only reason I remember Artificer topdecks is because I remember that I always forget it topdecks cards. Funny how that works.

Wait. Artificer topdecks the card?

Lol, I've played dozens of games with Artificer and I've never realized it does that.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

tailred

• Golem
  • Shuffle iT Username: ceviri
  • Respect: +368
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2017, 05:09:24 am »
+4

Lol, I've played dozens of games with Artificer and I've never realized it does that.
So does graverobber! The only reason why I remember this is that I always point it out when people point out the artificier thing.

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2017, 10:46:16 am »

Replace also top decks actions and treasures.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

aku_chi

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: aku chi
  • Respect: +1435
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2017, 11:36:42 am »
+1

To catch up, it might be valuable to look through the 2015 Cards Lists and in-progress 2016 Cards Lists.  Also, there's some speculation and initial impressions of the new cards in the Let's Discuss subforum.

Terminal draw BM is weaker than ever, as far as I can tell.  Many boards don't support a great engine, but there is usually something better to do than terminal draw + BM.  Triple Gear is the new standard for single-terminal BM strategies: it can get 4 Provinces by turn 12-13 on average.  But, like Jack of all Trades before it, the presence of Gear usually means you can make a better engine with Gear in it.

Cuzz

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Cuzz
  • Respect: +1018
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2017, 11:57:09 am »

So does graverobber! The only reason why I remember this is that I always point it out when people point out the artificier thing.

But only on the gain from the trash, not on the expand, which is also a little confusing (as is the fact that the card you gain from the trash must be 3 to 6 but can be any type whereas the card you trash from your hand must be an action, but can have any cost, and the card you expand into can be anything up to 3 more than the action you trashed....)

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2017, 12:52:26 pm »
+2

But only on the gain from the trash, not on the expand, which is also a little confusing (as is the fact that the card you gain from the trash must be 3 to 6 but can be any type whereas the card you trash from your hand must be an action, but can have any cost, and the card you expand into can be anything up to 3 more than the action you trashed....)

Graverobber is seriously weird.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Dingan

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Dingan
  • Respect: +1728
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2017, 04:55:45 pm »
+5

Cubs won the World Series

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2982
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2017, 05:12:41 pm »
+2

I think people got a lot better at this game.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2017, 05:55:14 pm »
+5

Am I the only who hears this song every time I read this thread title?

Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ThetaSigma12
  • Respect: +1809
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2017, 07:25:40 pm »

Unfortunately, no.
My magnum opus collection of dominion fan cards is available here!

Schneau

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
    • Rainwave
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2017, 09:49:00 pm »
+2

Cubs won the World Series

I'm painfully aware of this as an Indians fan.

Am I the only who hears this song every time I read this thread title?

This was stuck in my head as I made this thread.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.053 seconds with 20 queries.