Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Stupid hypothetical with Watchtower and Farmland  (Read 2425 times)

jotheonah

• Jester
  • Respect: +952
    • View Profile
Stupid hypothetical with Watchtower and Farmland
« on: February 07, 2012, 04:46:25 pm »

I gain a Farmland and reveal Watchtower. Can either one trash the other one? Can they (God forbid) both trash each other?
"I know old meta, and joth is useless day 1 but awesome town day 3 and on." --Teproc

He/him

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
Re: Stupid hypothetical with Watchtower and Farmland
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2012, 04:56:44 pm »
+1

Farmland can trash Watchtower, but not the other way around. This is because Farmland's ability is "on buy" and Watchtower's is "on gain."

1. You buy Farmland.
2. BEFORE you actually gain the Farmland, you must choose a card in your hand to trash.
3. You choose Watchtower, trashing it and gaining something else.
4. You gain the Farmland. You do not have Watchtower in hand to reveal.

Now, if Farmland said "when you gain" instead of "when you buy" then I think they could actually trash each other without a problem:

1. You buy Farmland.
2. You gain Farmland.
3. Two events trigger at the same time: Watchtower and Farmland.
4. You choose to reveal Watchtower, trashing the Farmland.
5. Farmland's event is still there, even though Farmland is gone. So you trash Watchtower, gaining another card.

You have to reveal Watchtower first though. If you choose Farmland first, then you don't have Watchtower in hand to reveal it.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 05:01:49 pm by GendoIkari »
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Deadlock39

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1758
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2012, 05:17:03 pm »

You can trash the Farmland with Watchtower if you trashed a different card from your hand to the Farmland.  (This wasn't mentioned by Gendo.) 

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2012, 05:18:44 pm »

You can trash the Farmland with Watchtower if you trashed a different card from your hand to the Farmland.  (This wasn't mentioned by Gendo.)

True! Although at that point you're spending $6 on a 1-shot restrictive Remodel.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2012, 05:22:40 pm »

You can even trash both the Farmland AND the card you gained by trashing something from your hand. (As long as the Watchtower wasn't the one trashed).

Hard to imagine a situation where you'd do that, though, spend $6 to trash one card for no benefit. I'm sure if this was posted in the puzzle section people would immediately find a way.

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2118
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2012, 06:05:55 pm »

^Maybe your opponent is playing a Farmland strategy, and you do it to empty the Farmland pile (by gaining and trashing 2 Farmlands), so that he has no hope of converting his Farmlands to Provinces?

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2012, 08:44:50 pm »

I was thinking about whether Farmland's on-buy provided a new way to trash your whole deck (which is currently only possible with Bishop, Masquerade, and sort-of island). But alas not. (and to be fair, even if they were both on-gains it would only work if there were no remodel options for the Watchtower, a pretty unlikely scenario.)
"I know old meta, and joth is useless day 1 but awesome town day 3 and on." --Teproc

He/him

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2012, 09:56:32 am »

In the event chain bubble, on-buy comes before on-gain.

So Farmland triggers first and wants to trash something from your hand to get a replacement. You could however reveal Watchtower to trash the gained replacement. After that, you could reveal Watchtower to trash the Farmland.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2012, 11:43:03 am »

So if you wanted to ditch a Curse without getting stuck with an Estate AND a Farmland, Watchtower could make that into a clean trash for you. Though I have a hard time imagining that being the best move.

He/him
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 20 queries.