Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: MattLee's cards, round 2  (Read 4497 times)

MattLee

• Spy
  • Respect: +88
    • View Profile
MattLee's cards, round 2
« on: January 12, 2017, 11:32:03 pm »
+3

I really appreciated the feedback from the last cards I posted, I'd love to hear anyones opinions on these new card ideas before I print these out! From now on I'm just going to do text versions and I'll post full cards when I've tested a card and have it working how I want it to.

New Explorer
Action
Cost - $5

You may reveal a hand containing no Treasures. If you do, gain 2 Golds, putting them into your hand. Otherwise, gain a Silver, putting it into your hand.

I've always felt like Explorer from Seaside was a bit weak. This seems harder to do (i think?) but would have a higher payoff. Every time you use New Explorer it would be harder to get double golds later on. Its also bad with big money.
---------------
Sage
Action
Cost - $2

+1 Card
+ $1

Put any number of cards from your hand on top of your library.

Has any official card let you do this before?
----------------
Lodge
Action
Cost - $6

+2 Cards
+2 Actions
+2 Buys
-
You may not buy this if you have another Lodge in play.

Inspired by Grand Market. Its hard to get your first Grand market but easier with each one you buy. This is kind of the reverse.
------------
Monastary
Action
Cost - $4

Reveal your hand. If it contains no Treasures, gain a gold. If it contains no actions, gain a action card costing up to $4.
------------
Claimant
Action
Cost - $3
+1 Action
+ $2

If any supply piles have exactly 1 card remaining, you may gain a card from one of these piles.

-----------------
Arena
Reaction
Cost - $6
Worth 1VP for each Arena in the supply.
-
When another player gains an Arena you may trash this from your hand. If you do, gain a card costing less than this.

I saw this idea on the forums and loved it, but I could see other players buying this card just to spite me (ive had this happens sometimes with Duke). With my version if other players do this you can trash this to gain a dutchy or some other more useful card.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 11:36:00 pm by MattLee »

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
Re: MattLee's cards, round 2
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2017, 11:37:06 pm »
+1

For new Explorer, check out second edition wordings. You can just say "gain a silver to your hand".
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ThetaSigma12
  • Respect: +1809
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2017, 08:09:05 am »
+1

Claimant has something going for it but seems swingy right now and it has to cost . Maybe as
+1 Action
+
Choose an Action Supply pile. If it has a number of cards in it equal or less than half it's cost in (round down), gain a card from it.
IDK what would be a good price for this. So it can gain and if there's only one left, and if there's 2 left, and if there's 3 left, and if there's 4 left. Then again maybe a simple:
+
Choose an Action Supply pile costing up to . If there are 2 or less cards in it, gain a card from it.
You could probably price this cheaply at . Making it a Herbalist on play might work, or any vanilla bonuses, as long as it can be cheap. You don't want it competing with the and piles you are trying to drain.

What exactly does Sage do? What's your library?
« Last Edit: January 13, 2017, 09:11:52 am by ThetaSigma12 »
My magnum opus collection of dominion fan cards is available here!

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jack Rudd
  • Respect: +1379
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2017, 09:03:18 am »
+1

Sage is already the name of an official card, so you may want to rename that one.
Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2017, 03:46:57 pm »

Here's my take on Claimant. With it around you might want to be more careful about emptying piles.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 05:03:03 pm by ThetaSigma12 »

MattLee

• Spy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2017, 12:02:42 am »
+2

Whoops, library is Magic the Gathering lingo. I knew better than that, it just slipped in by mistake  ::)

I do like your take on Claimant better than the original, I should have thought to at least add the +Buy on mine to help empty the piles faster. Not letting you use it to gain the last Provence is probably wise.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2017, 02:08:42 pm by MattLee »

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5345
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2017, 07:17:50 pm »
+1

Here's my take on Claimant. With it around you might want to be more careful about emptying piles.

Couldn't it be shortened to "Gain a card costing up to 5$ from a supply pile that has at most 2 cards in it"?
I think it's not a very useful effect, though, because the requirement is fullfilled too rarely, and I would probably have done better trying to get those cards using Silver than by using a Copper+ that will rarely, possibly reward me.

Monastery feels like a bad Workshop. I mean, yes, it will be able to gain one or two Golds if you put some effort into it, but that's not enough to counter the fact that it can be completely useless if you draw it with another terminal and no Village. I don't think I really like the Gold gaining effect much here nor on New Explorer.

I like the idea of Lodge, though.

Sage could also be buffed, even though the +1 Card on it doesn't have the problems that terminal +1 Card usually causes. Anyhow, to buff it, you could make it a Treasure, so you can use it to topdeck that Village you drew dead with your Smithy. See my Decree for a dimilar effect.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2017, 07:18:54 pm by Asper »

Rococo

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +8
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2017, 11:20:47 pm »
+3

hey matt this is jason, I joined so we could talk about the cards easier before we print them. what if sage was like a smithy but with that effect so you don't waste good action cards you draw. I wonder if claimant could trash cards from the supply too or maybe that would speed up the game too much. maybe just the gain a card from a pile with 2 idea would work better or both.

MattLee

• Spy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2017, 09:15:04 am »
+2

hey matt this is jason, I joined so we could talk about the cards easier before we print them. what if sage was like a smithy but with that effect so you don't waste good action cards you draw. I wonder if claimant could trash cards from the supply too or maybe that would speed up the game too much. maybe just the gain a card from a pile with 2 idea would work better or both.

Hey, glad to see you joined! I like the smithy idea, but it would be pretty similar to a non mandatory Courtyard. Maybe we could make it +2 cards and some other bonus?

I like the Claimant idea too, what do you suggest?

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2017, 03:30:18 pm »

What if Claimant was:
*Boni*
You may gain an Action card. If you did, each other player draws a card per copy of that Action in the Supply, not counting the first 2.

Any penalty would work really, but it seems less corner-casey if it lets you gain cards from fuller piles.

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jack Rudd
  • Respect: +1379
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2017, 09:12:18 pm »
+4

Playtesting tip for Audience: make sure you try it out in a game with Knights.
Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5345
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2017, 09:51:04 pm »

Playtesting tip for Audience: make sure you try it out in a game with Knights.
Not bad. While I didn't think about it, my wording actually avoids that problem, too.

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2017, 05:48:42 pm »

OK, here's my new idea for Audience/Claimant
+1 Action
+1 Buy
+
Gain a card from an Action Supply pile. Each other player may gain an Action card costing up to per card in that Supply pile.
Thoughts?

MattLee

• Spy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2017, 11:00:47 pm »
+1

Thats an interesting idea, its a different idea entirely but I do like it. I tried Audience (the one you made) twice and in those games it didn't really do much. I wonder if I could make it
Audience - $5

+1 Action
+1 Buy
+ $2

Name an Action card costing up to 6. If there are 2 or less copies of it in the supply, gain a copy of it.

This card would hold its own even if you don't get much use out of the 2nd half of it and the +$2 instead of +$1 should thin the piles down quicker. Bumping the cost up to 5 seems fair I think?

weety4

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +50
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2017, 06:59:38 am »

OK, here's my new idea for Audience/Claimant
+1 Action
+1 Buy
+
Gain a card from an Action Supply pile. Each other player may gain an Action card costing up to per card in that Supply pile.
Thoughts?
Seems like a middlegame gainer. Early on you help your opponents as much as yourself.
Like Lurker probably pretty crazy in the presence of expensive cards like Prince. Broken in the presence of expensive cards with Potion or Debt cost (you gain a Royal Blacksmith or Possession while your opponents have to settle for a lousy 5$) so it probably has to be reworded to avoid that you can gain cards with non-Coin cost.

+1 Action
+1 Buy
+ $2

Name an Action card costing up to 6. If there are 2 or less copies of it in the supply, gain a copy of it.

This card would hold its own even if you don't get much use out of the 2nd half of it and the +$2 instead of +$1 should thin the piles down quicker. Bumping the cost up to 5 seems fair I think?
This is above all a non-terminal Silver with an extra buy, the Action version of Charm. The gaining seems more like a little cherry on top of that and the pile-driving could be more relevant than the mere gaining.

Rococo

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +8
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2017, 11:33:17 pm »
+2

haven't been impressed with claimant / audience. just not relevant most of the time. what if it were an event? we could keep it simple but not clog up the kingdom piles with cards we wouldn't use most of the time

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2017, 10:16:56 am »

haven't been impressed with claimant / audience. just not relevant most of the time. what if it were an event? we could keep it simple but not clog up the kingdom piles with cards we wouldn't use most of the time
Which version did you try? The "Gain from a pile with 2 cards" is really niche and not that good, the "Gain from a pile and each other player may gain a card costing per card in that pile" isn't that bad, though I like your idea of making it an Event.

MattLee

• Spy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2017, 05:25:16 pm »

We tried the one gaining from a pile with 2 cards. It might be decent in games that are piling out but it didn't come up when I tried it. I think I'd like it as an Event too.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 21 queries.